Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Started this from the beginning and I'm only a two episodes away from Mike leaving the show. I would've never guessed that there was bad blood between them going on, considering that whatever tension there might be seems to be left at the door before they record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Ellis Paul was pretty bad too.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Sounds like Riptor's the only fan left!

I'm in Season 17 still catching up since I started from the beginning six years ago. It's around October 2015, no Hamilton talk at all yet but I heard Ep. 1720 with Anthony Rapp has some Hamilton so I'm coming up to it soon. Just finished 17H with Russ McGarry, which was a fantastic episode.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic. I tried going back to the very, very first episodes again with Matt putting on his wiseguy radio voice and Jimmy laughing and clapping every time Schmidt opens his mouth, the current episodes couldn't possibly be as bad as that. Right? ...Guys?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

I still love this show. I started over from the beginning a few months back so I'm simultaneously running through new and old. Anyone who hasn't listened to Season 1 in a while should try it now, it might honestly color your perception of the newer stuff better.

I mean Schmidtty was great, but woof, it was pretty rough going at the beginning.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

The Human Frame posted:

Re: Matt, I was listening to a few early PFT episodes and there was a multi-episode streak where PFT seemed to be getting genuinely annoyed at Matt's inability to yes-and (in the early days Matt would kinda fall back on picking apart someone else's premise to be funny, also known as Gervais-ing*), though PFT is able to turn it into mock-frustration. It ends with Matt saying he was "zero for three" for the episode. I think the fact that Matt knows he's the weak link in the show kinda redeems him.

I always got the impression in the early years that PFT made Matt nervous. It took until about Season 8 for it to feel like Matt wasn't striving for PFT's approval anymore whenever he was a guest.

And I still urge anyone falling out of love with the show to try pushing through Season 1 again for some perspective. The entirety of the Mike Schmidt run was extremely rough and awkward and it had nothing to do with Schmidtty. Matt was awful and even Jimmy seemed out of his element for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Is anyone keeping up with this show anymore? I've only made it to S18, still enjoying but going slower on the episodes than I used to with no real hopes of completely catching up anymore. I just found out they completely overhauled their subscription service and are now doing three episodes a week.

Has any new life been breathed into the show lately? Despite the general consensus of this thread for the last 5+ years they seem to be doing better than ever. Is Riptor still the only other fan besides me?