Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Arglebargle III posted:

:stare: Do you by any chance work for the Chinese government in some capacity? Because drat. I understand the rumor mill can cause trouble but are you really serious about eliminating anonymous speech on the internet? That would be (has been) considered an extreme breach of privacy on a video game forum in the U.S. much less the entire internet.

Notice his large red custom title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Farecoal posted:

Notice his large red custom title.

Pro-PRC Laowai as his username really should have told you all you need to know. The dude personally is really cool and will tell you all you need to know about the realities of living in China as a foreigner... but politically he takes all of his cues from the shittiest parts of Chinese politics. Harmful rumors are a larger problem than a government stranglehold on information, the CIA is the main reason Tibet isn't a harmonious part of the motherland, etc.

mei banfa.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Pro-PRC Laowai as his username really should have told you all you need to know. The dude personally is really cool and will tell you all you need to know about the realities of living in China as a foreigner... but politically he takes all of his cues from the shittiest parts of Chinese politics. Harmful rumors are a larger problem than a government stranglehold on information, the CIA is the main reason Tibet isn't a harmonious part of the motherland, etc.

mei banfa.

Honestly though, what most Americans believe about China is equally as ridiculous, only at the other end of the spectrum.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Pro-PRC Laowai is what happens when you integrate too well and end up with the political opinions of a shaokao vendor or a middle-aged cab driver.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been listening to the Sinica podcast (and popup Chinese, they have a lot of really useful vocab and colloquial sentence patterns) and the episode about the Tianjin chemical plant really drove home how government lies and censorship have driven people to the rumor mill for their information.

Specifically, CCTV advertised an investigative report on the chemical plant and safety in relation to an approaching storm, and then suddenly the whole segment was pulled before it could be aired. Naturally people were alarmed that a CCTV (government news) report on safety issues had been yanked, and the rumor mill went crazy. There were even people reporting that the entire city of Tianjin - millions of people if you don't know - would be killed in minutes if the storm hit the plant. This is not true, but the government news organ had nothing to say because their report on the subject had been pulled.

I think this is a fantastic example of how the government has poisoned the well of the traditional media. People simply don't believe it, and are conditioned to believe the absolute worst. It's sort of like how this forum tends to view press reports from Goldman Sachs or the IDF - whenever they say something we tend to assume the opposite is true. It's this way for everything the Chinese public hears from the official media, especially about environmental and safety issues. Blaming Weibo or foreign agitators for the people's alarm at even the slightest hint of a coverup is completely misunderstanding. Maybe willfully misunderstanding the situation.

I have to say again French Lies is absolutely right, Sinica is a pro-click.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

french lies posted:

Pro-PRC Laowai is what happens when you integrate too well and end up with the political opinions of a shaokao vendor or a middle-aged cab driver.
I think it's kinda charming, actually. Maybe less so when you have to deal with such people in person.

But yeah, been listening to Sinica, it's quite nice. They had an old one about Soft Power and the media, quite interesting to hear about it.
Also finished "The Search for Modern China", gonna go read "When China Rules the World".
I dunno if this is the place to ask though, but what's up with the "Confucius Foundation", is it an international org or what? They're mostly in charge of the Chinese classes in my Uni and they're good people, but is it a bigger thing? What is the purpose of it?

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 157 days!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I dunno if this is the place to ask though, but what's up with the "Confucius Foundation", is it an international org or what? They're mostly in charge of the Chinese classes in my Uni and they're good people, but is it a bigger thing? What is the purpose of it?

Is there a Confucius Foundation? I assume you're talking about the Confucius Institute. It is not an international organization, it is a Chinese government-controlled organization, intended to be a soft-power tool. Most schools that have them seem to agree that despite their affiliation they are not exerting undue pressure over aspects of Chinese studies that they don't like in those schools, but you can bet that their materials are going to follow the government line. Not, of course, that early non-CI Chinese classes are or should be particularly edgy and political.

Fiendish_Ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 18, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Is there a Confucius Foundation? I assume you're talking about the Confucius Institute. It is not an international organization, it is a Chinese government-controlled organization, intended to be a soft-power tool. Most schools that have them seem to agree that despite their affiliation they are not exerting undue pressure over aspects of Chinese studies that they don't like in those schools, but you can bet that their materials are going to follow the government line. Not, of course, that early non-CI Chinese classes are or should be particularly edgy and political.
Yeah, the Icelandic word could be either Institute or Foundation, haven't really seen it in English.
I was just curious because like you said, they did mention getting some financial support from China and seeing as their members form the entirety of the Chinese faculty it does mean that they pretty much decide what we do and do not learn. Dude in charge is an old Philosophy grad like me, so I've always liked him and some of the guest lectures and class discussions have been quite critical and they have, as far as I can tell, a hell of a lot of leeway to do whatever.
(Unlike the Japanese department, for instance, which regularly has people from the embassy check out classes and goes over our finances every year. Funny that, really).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Pretty good article about the recent events in Chongqing.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/mar/19/chinas-falling-star-bo-xilai/

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Xandu posted:

Pretty good article about the recent events in Chongqing.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/mar/19/chinas-falling-star-bo-xilai/
That's a good article, thanks for sharing.

The writer also mentions Wen Jiabao's comments about Bo Xilai's populism and the parallels to the Cultural Revolution. For anyone in the PRC, how hard is the official Chinese media pushing this angle? I've had more than a few mainland friends paraphrase Wen's comments to me when I asked about Bo being sacked, so I would assume they're a significant part of the official narrative right now.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

french lies posted:

That's a good article, thanks for sharing.

The writer also mentions Wen Jiabao's comments about Bo Xilai's populism and the parallels to the Cultural Revolution. For anyone in the PRC, how hard is the official Chinese media pushing this angle? I've had more than a few mainland friends paraphrase Wen's comments to me when I asked about Bo being sacked, so I would assume they're a significant part of the official narrative right now.

My best understanding of this entire situation is:

Background:
Bo Xilai is the son of Bo Yibo, one of those gods of the revolution and his gimmick over the years became pushing nostalgia with red songs, focusing on more equal growth and a crack down on corruption.

Wang Lijun was Bo's attack dog to go after corruption. In Tieling, which WLJ spent some time, there was a large corruption bust and probably some dirt on WLJ as well.

Overall, the sweeping out of the corruption in Chongqing was a great thing and BXL's policies were actually fairly good.

In no particular order, a thing happened.
WLJ had stopped being all that useful to BXL.
BXL's son over in London got spotted living large and it attracted some unwanted attention.
WLJ investigated BXL and dug up a bunch of dirt regarding finances (funneling tons of illicit cash overseas)
BXL stripped WLJ of basically all his powers and I'd guess dug into the Tieling dirt.
WLJ, realizing he was basically hosed ran off to the consulate to ensure that Beijing would be the ones to arrest him.
WLJ spilled the dirt, BXL got hosed because enough people didn't like him.

Wen Jiabao makes the announcement of the sacking of BXL giving some derisive comments referring to the red songs, which is what most Chinese know him for apart from the corruption raids. The powers that be in China really don't want a Mao revival, so it was pretty decent cover. BXL was a whisper candidate for a high power position, and this was a great opportunity to sack him for causing all this weirdness. WLJ is also pretty hosed, but I'd guess that the government will find a position for him somewhere to lay low. Don't expect him to rise to anything above it however.

As far as stepping on toes in Chongqing. Something important to understand about the power politics here is that everyone is corrupt to some degree and has a few skeletons in the closet. It's like doing your first whack for the Mafia to get in. If you don't have some dirt on you, no one is going to play ball. The flip side to all this is that those who manage to ostracize themselves and step on too many toes behind the scenes get left to dangle in the wind when it blows. The incoming Xi Jinping seems to be one of the few rare politicians who have managed to rise without much corruption or pissing off everyone along the way. This should ensure a very strong government as few if any will be able to hold any leverage behind the scenes.

Why don't they turn on everyone when they get sold down river? Family for the most part. Family generally gets left out of it when they shut up and take their punishment.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Here's an interesting article about Bo from a former Chongqing resident, where she first focuses on the economic numbers:

http://insideoutchina.blogspot.com/2012/03/bo-xilais-chongqing-model.html

quote:

On Bo Xilai's "Chongqing Model"

So here is a curious thing: since Bo Xilai's downfall, the international media has gone wild speculating on its causes, but few have mentioned the economic factor. The majority of English reports focus on Bo's attention-generating personal style that might have offended Beijing's top leaders. Behind the visible factors, however, is a hidden, and much more alarming, issue: Bo's Chongqing government had (still has) huge fiscal deficits. Premier Wen Jiabao, in his March14th press conference, emphasized controlling local government debt. This suggests that Chongqing's deficits likely played a big role in Beijing's assessment of Bo's performance.

I also thought this was interesting:

quote:

The last curious thing I want to mention here is this: on March 8th, during the National People's Congress (NPC) in Beijing, Bo Xilai gave a press conference that attracted a big crowd of journalists; lots of questions were asked and answered, but no one brought up the disappearance of a Chongqing delegation member, Zhang Mingyu. Zhang was taken by force from his Beijing residence by Chongqing police, believed to have been sent by Bo Xilai. Zhang's lawyer tried to reach out to media and netizens through microblogs. I saw reports of Zhang’s disappearance on March 7th and tweeted about it with a bit of shock – this was happening during the NPC, which is supposed to be China's highest legislative meeting. Would anybody inquire about a violation of the basic rights of its own delegates?

A few foreign media outlets reported Zhang's lawyer's calls for help on March 7th. After that, Zhang, and his name, were no longer seen anywhere, as if he had vanished or never even existed. For a week, I searched for his name on the Chinese internet every day. Nothing.
[bolding mine]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is all according to Sinica, but apparently Bo has a bit of a history of thuggishness. Apparently the incident with the Chongqing police in Beijing wasn't the first time that Bo's detractors have had mysterious things happen to them, it's just the time he was dumb enough to try it within 20 miles of Zhongnan Hai.

Sinica also believes that Bo's performance in Chongqing wasn't really what the leadership was expecting, since it differs pretty strongly from what he did during his tenure in Tianjin. Apparently Bo in Chongqing is in bed (to an unusual degree) with the state-owned industries there. In a city that big with that many economic problems and organized crime who knows what the web of relationships between the state, industry, and mafia is. Chongqing sounds like a real bastard to govern in any way without getting your hands dirty what with the decaying heavy industry fiefdoms, entrenched mafia, and utterly massive land area.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
More Bo Xilai news! Apparently, some people now think the ouster was part of a political coup.

Foreign Policy posted:

Mainland media sites have begun to strongly censor discussion of Bo Xilai and entirely unsubstantiated rumors of gunfire in downtown Beijing (an extremely rare occurance in Beijing). Chinese websites hosted overseas, free from censorship, offer a host of unsupported, un-provable commentary on what might have happened in the halls of power. Bannedbook.org, which provides free downloads of "illegal" Chinese books, posted a long explanation of tremors in the palace of Zhongnanhai, sourced to a "person with access to high level information in Beijing," of a power struggle between President Hu Jintao, who controls the military, and Zhou, who controls China's formidable domestic security apparatus. The Epoch Times, a news site affiliated with the Falun Gong spiritual movement (which banned in China), has published extensively in English and Chinese about the coup.

Kong Qingdong said a thing. Apparently he is now barred from teaching at Beida, and his program has been suspended.

Radio France International posted:

(my translation) Xinhua reports that after Bo Xilai was forced to resign, Peking University professor Kong Qingdong stated that this was a “Counter-Revolutionary Coup” during the March 15 showing of his program “Kong Qingdong Has Something to Say” on V1. Kong also said this move “hurt the feelings of hundreds of millions of Chinese”, and claimed that China “is bound to sink into the kind of Cultural Revolution chaos that Wen Jiabao talked about. Everyone will suffer, it would probably be a huge disaster.”

Hu Xijin, the editor of hardline nationalist rag Global Times, issued a response to Mitt Romney's recent comments about China. He is uncharacteristically civil, and pretty much just states the obvious.

Hu Xijin posted:

As for the U.S.-China row over things like rare earths, the exchange rate, and even human rights, all these conflicts have been very specific, and they haven't capsized the whole relationship. We believe the person whom the Americans elect to enter the White House will, at the very least, have rational thoughts. Romney won't make the mistake of turning a specific conflict into a showdown with 1.3 billion Chinese people.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Heh, I was going to ask about the political coup thing, yesterday I think I read something about how China was blowing up with reports of tanks in the streets of Beijing and fighting and poo poo. Wish I had the exact text in front of me but its at home.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

rscott posted:

Heh, I was going to ask about the political coup thing, yesterday I think I read something about how China was blowing up with reports of tanks in the streets of Beijing and fighting and poo poo. Wish I had the exact text in front of me but its at home.

It's falun gong tripe (they love to try stirring up poo poo) that originated on epoch times. The picture of the "tank" was from back in 2010 and Chang'an gets highly controlled frequently when dignitaries are traveling on it (which was the case).

With weird poo poo going on, yea, anything potentially high profile is going to have clamps put on it for a while.

Actually, the funny thing is that with the vast vast majority of these rumors, the original sources all seem to be linked with falun gong sites which should be telling enough.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Falun Gong is just putting its US funding to good use and smearing the CCP any chance it gets (with good reason, I might add). The fact that their propaganda outlets NTDTV and Epoch Times are pushing the coup angle is a surefire sign that it's bullshit. You just know that somewhere along the way, they'll cite some "unnamed sources" and claim that the Politburo was really fighting over who gets the biggest cut of its countrywide FLG organ harvesting operations.

They're good for entertainment, I'll give them that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So...is China Communist?

I'm sorry I know its probably somewhere in the OP but I read it and its just so "meaty".

How exactly is China defined? Communist? State Capitalist? Hybrid?

Every Chinese person I asked says something different.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

punk rebel ecks posted:

So...is China Communist?

I'm sorry I know its probably somewhere in the OP but I read it and its just so "meaty".

How exactly is China defined? Communist? State Capitalist? Hybrid?

Every Chinese person I asked says something different.

Largely state capitalist with an increasing number of 'free market' experiments known as Special Economic Zones. Hong Kong (which is a different story due to its history and British management) is probably the most laissez-faire place in history.

Communism was abandoned in 1979, and any remnant of Communist support is, ironically, frowned upon by the Communist Party. Bo Xilai tried to resurrect some Maoist nostalgia and was sacked, and the fact that he was also too charismatic and too good at weeding out corruption didn't help either.

There is a absurdly small possibility that the Communist Party are still actual communists, but just feel that China has not gone through the necessary (according to Marx) stages of development/industrialisation as of yet, and will go full communist again in 30 years. But there's a 0.00001% chance of that happening.

So, what do you guys think about Chinese interests (oil/mineral) around the Philippines, and South China Sea? Apparently ROK and Vietnam don't feel very well about it at all, and have been sending military advisers between themselves.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 23, 2012

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

zero alpha posted:

Largely state capitalist with an increasing number of 'free market' experiments known as Special Economic Zones. Hong Kong (which is a different story due to its history and British management) is probably the most laissez-faire place in history.

Communism was abandoned in 1979, and any remnant of Communist support is, ironically, frowned upon by the Communist Party. Bo Xilai tried to resurrect some Maoist nostalgia and was sacked, and the fact that he was also too charismatic and too good at weeding out corruption didn't help either.

There is a absurdly small possibility that the Communist Party are still actual communists, but just feel that China has not gone through the necessary (according to Marx) stages of development/industrialisation as of yet, and will go full communist again in 30 years. But there's a 0.00001% chance of that happening.

Ah. So State-Capitalist.

And yeah I watched a video on Hong Kong's business operation. To have a business you literally just sign a piece of paper and BAM you have a business! That was in 1999 though.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
More rumors! No coup, but the likelihood of very strong tensions within the party is high. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming weeks.

LA Times posted:

State media reported this week that 3,300 party cadres from the security apparatus would be sent to Beijing for ideological retraining. The order was unusual enough, but even more so was the fact that the report omitted mention of internal security czar Zhou Yongkang, who heads the Political and Legislative Affairs Committee that is recalling the cadres.

Zhou, a member of the Politburo Standing Committee and until now one of the most powerful men in China, had been the committee's strongest backer of Bo Xilai, the Communist Party secretary of Chongqing who was removed from his post last week. Some overseas Chinese-language Internet sites carried wild (and unsubstantiated) rumors that Zhou and Bo, a popular figure among Maoist traditionalists, had tried to stage a coup.

A level of edginess was apparent this week in the unusually large security presence in central Beijing, complete with armed SWAT teams in some subway stations.

Jin Zhong, a veteran political analyst based in Hong Kong, dismissed the more fantastic rumors, while acknowledging the underlying tension between economic reformers and Maoist traditionalists.

"It hasn't reached the point where you are going to hear gunshots. It is not like when China arrested the Gang of Four in 1976, but there is a very strong conflict going on," Jin said

Wow, the Chinese government does not want people talking about Bo Xilai. Netizens are now resorting to noodle brands and children's shows characters as code words to discuss the Bo Xilai ouster.

The Guardian posted:

With facts in short supply since leadership contender Bo Xilai was dismissed as party chief of Chongqing last week, the online rumour mill has been in overdrive – fuelled by the opaque nature of Chinese politics and the knowledge that a power transition is fast approaching.

Internet users disguise their references by using nicknames for the leaders they cannot mention.

"[A few] days ago, Beijing was hosting an innovative tug-of-war for the elderly; this game has nine contestants in all," wrote one internet user on Thursday, in a thinly veiled reference to the nine members of the Politburo Standing Committee, the country's top political body.

"The first round of the contest is still intense … The teletubby team noticeably has the advantage and, relatively, the Master Kong team is obviously falling short."

"Teletubby" is code for Wen Jiabao, who chided Bo publicly before his ousting – the Chinese for the children's show, tianxianbaobao, shares a character with the premier's name. The popular instant noodle brand Master Kong is known as Kang Shifu in Chinese and stands in for Zhou Yongkang, who is reportedly supportive of Bo.

On the topic of Hong Kong, they are holding an election! Yay! Oh wait, it's just a bunch of rich assholes picking from a pre-screened selection of candidates. Apparently, this leads to trouble when one of them pretends to give a poo poo about the poor. HK's elite are now in open conflict with Zhongnanhai.

Wall Street Journal posted:

The race for Hong Kong's top political post that will reach the finish line Sunday is the liveliest the city has ever seen, and one last surprise could be in store: no winner.

That would be an embarrassment for Beijing, analysts say. China's government has worked hard in the background to script Hong Kong's politics and ensure stability ever since the former British colony returned to Chinese sovereignty in 1997 under "one country, two systems."

This week, Beijing signaled it prefers the candidate who for months has led in public-opinion polls, Leung Chun-ying, a charismatic politician with close ties to China's Communist Party. Local political leaders confirm the central government's liaison office is lobbying members of Hong Kong's election committee, which will actually choose the city's next chief executive, to back Mr. Leung.

But Beijing's choice is regarded with suspicion by many of the electors. The committee's 1,200 members are mostly top professionals, politicians and tycoons, and the city's business leaders are wary of Mr. Leung's populist rhetoric, with its emphasis on public housing and poverty reduction. Allegations that Mr. Leung has ties to organized crime, which he denies, have also dented his support levels.

A University of Hong Kong poll published Thursday showed ordinary Hong Kongers, who don't get to vote, are unhappy with both Mr. Leung and his opponent, Henry Tang, the city's former No. 2. For Mr. Tang, who has never enjoyed much popular support, his prospects grew worse after he admitted last fall to an extramarital affair and last month to having illegally added a basement to his home. The survey showed 75% of Hong Kongers would be content to see neither candidate win a majority.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any chance the 'New Left' figures could gain power in the future, or will they be purged completely in favor of technocratic/fascist politicians?

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

zero alpha posted:

Any chance the 'New Left' figures could gain power in the future, or will they be purged completely in favor of technocratic/fascist politicians?

I find it interesting that the "New Left" such as Bo Xilai are popular with the common folks. It would be interesting how figures like Bo Xilai can use the support of the masses to counter the power of those who favor the status quo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The guy who took Bo's place, Zhang De Jiang, has a degree in Economics from Kim Il Sung University.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zero alpha posted:

So, what do you guys think about Chinese interests (oil/mineral) around the Philippines, and South China Sea? Apparently ROK and Vietnam don't feel very well about it at all, and have been sending military advisers between themselves.

Bo didn't weed out corruption, it was more like a mobster taking over a region and getting rip of the old small timer gangsters. I have been hearing ridiculous amount of corruption wealth the Bo family has amassed. Something over 1 billion USD...probably has funneled oversea...

Bo would not lost his job so soon and so publicly if Wang didn't gave up some major dirt on him. Wang walked into the US consulate because it was only way to save his live. He was able to have an "accident" very soon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

french lies posted:

More rumors! No coup, but the likelihood of very strong tensions within the party is high. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming weeks.

Wow, the Chinese government does not want people talking about Bo Xilai. Netizens are now resorting to noodle brands and children's shows characters as code words to discuss the Bo Xilai ouster.

This is my favorite of the part of following it on the Chinese forums.

Take Wen Jiabao for example, he was at first referred to as "When" (sound like Wen), "Best Actor" (because he has been seen crying for the earthquake and other disasters).

But those are becoming too obvious to the censorship. So the new nicknames are "baobao" (for this first name), and then "Teletubbie" (because Teletubbies are called "Antenna Babies" in Chinese.) Now it is just "Antenna".

He is the one I am rooting for, he has been publicly stating a few time there need to be political reform in order to sustain the grow of China.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 23, 2012

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, does anyone disagree that China is an imperialist power? It seems their influence is overshadowing even that of the US in Africa right now, and that's not new, either -- they were giving arms and money to Mobutu back in the early days.

I'm curious to see how ASEAN will react and if they'll form an explicit military alliance to counter China.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

zero alpha posted:

So, does anyone disagree that China is an imperialist power? It seems their influence is overshadowing even that of the US in Africa right now, and that's not new, either -- they were giving arms and money to Mobutu back in the early days.

I'm curious to see how ASEAN will react and if they'll form an explicit military alliance to counter China.

I think china can be every bit as dirty as the western powers when the time comes, there's a famous quote by Ho Chi Minh Saying "I'd Rather Smell French poo poo for forty years than eat chinese poo poo for a thousand" and there's a lot of truth to that statement.

It's foolish to assume that any power will be more imperialistically benevolent when it's their turn to be able to treat others with impunity. and I'd encourage every member of ASEAN to do whatever is in their power to keep china at arms length from them. not that allying with the west is any better, but Indonesia-Malaysia have the population,underlying infrastructure and the potential to be real naval and military powers if they just put their minds and money into it, add in Vietnam's great military experience and I think you've got a force that could keep china at bay for the foreseeable future.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, I was just doing some reading and found out that China supported Pinoche, Angolan Nationalists, the Shah, and so on. With all that, it's surprising that China and the USA aren't best friends. I guess I'll chalk it up to sibling rivalry.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

zero alpha posted:

China as an imperialist power is laughable right now. China's influence in Africa is no stronger than influence of Western governments and private companies in Africa. The only reason why the Western media focuses on Chinese influence in Africa is that China is willing to go to risky parts of Africa to do business because it is much easier to enter into countries which have already not been monopolized by Western interests. China has no overseas military bases like that of Western imperialist powers such as the US and France. I also don't see how you can equate giving arms to a dictator as a form of imperialism.

If you mean China as an imperialist power within its own borders, then yes, it has successfully colonized Inner-Mongolia and is on its way to colonize Tibet and Xinjiang.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
New Sinica! :toot:

Sinica posted:

If you smell anything burning, it's likely your Internet cable melting from the heat of all these rumors. Which is why at Sinica we turn our unforgiving gaze this week at unsubstantiated press foreign and domestic, focusing first on reports of heightened police security in Beijing, midnight tank appearances, gunshots near the square, luxury car crashes, and even whispers of a coup d'etat. And more internationally, we can't help but discuss This American Life's recent retraction of a China-related story that was heavily fabricated: L'affaire Daisey.

China is ending the practice of harvesting organ from death-row prisoners. Sounds good, but it may cause problems with the supply. Voluntary donations are extremely rare in China, as Chinese tradition requires the body to be kept intact after death.

Wall Street Journal posted:

China officials plan to phase out organ harvesting of death-row inmates, a move to overhaul a transplant system that has for years relied on prisoners and organ traffickers to serve those in need of transplants.

Huang Jiefu, China's vice minister of health, said on Thursday that Chinese officials plan to abolish the practice within the next five years and to create a national organ-donation system, according to a report from the state-run Xinhua news agency.

[...]

Officials in the world's most populous country have conceded that China has depended for years on executed prisoners as its main source of organ supply for ailing citizens. Human-rights groups say the harvesting is often forced and influences the pace of China's executions. Mr. Huang has been quoted in state media reports as saying that the rights of death-row prisoners have been fully respected and that the state asks for written consent prior to donation.

Due in part to traditional beliefs and distrust of the medical system, voluntary donations are rare in China, where the need for organs far exceeds the supply. An estimated 1.5 million people in China are in need of organ transplants annually, while only 10,000 receive them, according to government statistics. In the U.S. in 2009, 14,632 organs were donated, while the transplant wait list had 104,898 patients, according to data from the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network and the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients.

Life continues to suck for Tibetans in post-Harmonious Society China. If only their outlook was more ... scientific!

Tom Lasseter posted:

Although he was speaking in a teahouse with no obvious security presence, the monk on Wednesday said that he had to be careful.

"It's very difficult now for monks from Rongwo monastery to come outside," he said. "There are cameras watching where we go, and later on they will of course ask us where we went."

Asked whom he meant by "they," the monk would not answer. He said only that life at the monastery hasn't been comfortable lately.

"If we were not in pain, we would not be setting ourselves on fire," he said. :(

Lawyers now have to swear fealty to the CCP. How's that legal system working out for you, Pro-PRC Laowai?

Voice of America posted:

China's Justice Ministry has for the first time ordered lawyers to take a loyalty oath to the Communist Party, in a move that is raising the ire of human rights lawyers who defend critics of the authoritarian Beijing government.

In a notice posted Wednesday on its Website, the ministry said first-time applicants and lawyers seeking to renew their licenses will be required to take an oath.

The oath requires lawyers to “pledge to faithfully fulfill the sacred mission of a legal worker under the socialist system with Chinese characteristics.” It also demands that they “be loyal to the motherland, loyal to the people, uphold the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party and the socialist system.”

Some more links:

• Charlie Rose interview with Richard McGregor and Damien Ma - Richard McGregor, for those who don't know him, is the author of The Party, which is in the OP's book list and I reviewed recently in the D&D book thread. This is a good recap/introduction for those of you who are interested in the ouster and what it means. I did pause, however, when the other guy mentioned that Hu Jintao may retain control over the CMC for another term? WTF? Is there even any plausible evidence that this is happening? Wasn't the Politburo super-pissed when Jiang stayed on for another two years?
  • Insight: China's Bo exits stage left in succession drama - Another great summary/introduction to the Bo Xilai ouster.
  • China faces 'timebomb' of ageing population - Great piece by Tania Brannigan about the challenges of the Chinese populations' rapid ageing and the change in social norms that has accompanied them. Make sure to watch the video for some of the most awesome old people in existence. Some of them are in greater shape than me!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Ronald Spiers posted:

I also don't see how you can equate giving arms to a dictator as a form of imperialism.

Really?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ah. So State-Capitalist.

The economic system yes; I like the moniker "Technocratic Authoritarianism" for the political system.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Arglebargle III posted:

The economic system yes; I like the moniker "Technocratic Authoritarianism" for the political system.

Oh god, the Politburo are all cyborgs? :ohdear:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Ronald Spiers posted:

China has no overseas military bases like that of Western imperialist powers such as the US and France. I also don't see how you can equate giving arms to a dictator as a form of imperialism.
Someone here must know what are those places where China currently could (not that it would, but could) use military force at or outside its borders?

I've kind of completely fallen off the map on what military options the country realistically has.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Xandu posted:

Really?

How many countries has the US gave arms to that later used those same arms to wage war against the US? Sure, maybe it exerts some influence, but it's nowhere near something like having active military bases in foreign countries. You can't equate what is essentially financial aid to imperialism. We give aid to North Korea and they spend most of that on weapons or to feed their own military, how's that imperial puppet working out for us?

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 24, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Farecoal posted:

Oh god, the Politburo are all cyborgs? :ohdear:

Worse: they're engineers.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hobohemian posted:

How many countries has the US gave arms to that later used those same arms to wage war against the US? Sure, maybe it exerts some influence, but it's nowhere near something like having active military bases in foreign countries. You can't equate what is essentially financial aid to imperialism. We give aid to North Korea and they spend most of that on weapons or to feed their own military, how's that imperial puppet working out for us?

What does that have to do with whether China is imperialist or not?

Anybody want to give me some background on why China attacked Vietnam in 1979, and tell me if there was more to it than Marxist-Leninism vs. Maoism?

This is a de-rail, but I'm wondering what role if any the US had in putting Pol Pot in power/allowing him to stay longer than he would have otherwise.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 25, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

zero alpha posted:

This is a de-rail, but I'm wondering what role if any the US had in putting Pol Pot in power/allowing him to stay longer than he would have otherwise.

They tried to keep him from gaining power, by bombing the poo poo out of Cambodia during the Vietnam War and killing roughly 400,000 civilians. Why would they support someone they considered a communist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Farecoal posted:

They tried to keep him from gaining power, by bombing the poo poo out of Cambodia during the Vietnam War and killing roughly 400,000 civilians. Why would they support someone they considered a communist?

Because he and China were opposing and sabotaging USSR aligned movements after the Sino-Soviet split? Not sure, I'm just trying to remember if something weird went down with the USA and Prince Sihanuk or whomever that inadvertently destroyed the resistance to the Khmer Rouge. Some NPR story from a long time ago I think, but I could be mixed up.