Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How involved is the PLA in the day to day running of the country. I've read a few articles that stat that Jiang Zemin kept control of PLA after leaving the Presidency as kind of a back door to power (which he later gave up)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The most interesting thing about Confucianism I've recently found out is his decedents are still tracked in hereditary fashion, have been treated well by every ruler in Chinese history and are still involved in the government of the ROC :psyduck:

That's some crazy trivia there.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Their have been a few articles about what China's economy really looks like (a couple in WSJ, Bloomberg and one in Mcleans recently). The most interesting part of it all was the idea that most of China's consumer economy is basically for show for westerns visiting. I think the best comparison I saw was China is in the same place as Georgian England. An absolute dominate upper class, a very small middle class and everyone else basically serves them. Of course the major difference is China is trying to pretend everyone is in the second group.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You clearly didn't read the rest of my post or know much about Georgian England. As far as most people can tell China has a very small real middle class, a larger upper class and a giant lower class. This mirrors Georgian England despite being said that it was a nation of shopkeepers.

Most of China's consumer economy exists for a small fraction of the economy, and it's build out may, and I say may be based on a small fraction of the population. The rest has been built and kept open at this point for western observes of China's internal economic growth. Given that no one knows what China's real internal growth numbers are, it's just spitting in the wind really.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Hong XiuQuan posted:

I'd like you to expand on what you mean by this please.

The some faction in the Chinese government is keeping open high end stories in some areas in an attempt to show that China has a great domestic economic growth then it really does. There are enough stories about China's empty open malls and buildings to show that to some extent China is lying on it's economy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

rscott posted:

That's a pretty good post but I have one point I want to bring up. Are human rights the result of a (good) democratic government or vice versa?

Neither, human rights exist despite a democratic government (this can depend on what you view as human rights). Take a lot at Turkey and it's history of Coup's by the military who defend what they believe are secular human rights, against a democratic government. You could also look at the United States which most people in this forum would say has fallen under a democratic government that's taking away peoples rights.

Most things that we consider human rights exist despite democratic government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm just going to put this article in here http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/worldview/can-the-chinese-consumer-save-the-world/article2347212/ give this discussion we had earlier in the thread about China's consumer culture. While it isn't a scientific or economic study, it does go to my point of artificial consumerism being pushed in China.