Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

How serious is the 4:2:1 problem in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Ardennes posted:

So the Chinese AQI only goes to 300 (which is very polluted). I don't know if AQI can be compared equally across countries but at what point would it be unsafe for even young/healthy people to remain in the city?

151+ is considered to be unhealthy for all groups and 200+ is considered to be an emergency condition.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Is that the Chinese equivalent of Libor or Fed Funds rate?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

What am I looking at, the central bank's interest rate going from 2%-12% in under a week?

Sounds like it is interbank loans. Loans from one bank to another. Looks like credit is freezing up hard.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Ardennes posted:

I wonder where this guy is now.

He is a columnist for the Guardian.

:edit:

and visiting Professor at Tsinghua University, Beijing.

karthun fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 7, 2013

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

GuestBob posted:

Do you consider imagined communities of race to be totally negative then?

I suppose you draw a variety of lines across China on the basis of linguistic and dialect groupings and what kind of opera people listen to, but the Han/non-Han distinction is more important than any of these (in my opinion).

Social differences in China, now there's a topic.

I don't think that imagined communities of race has to be totally negative, but at the same time I don't think they can be good under any circumstance.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

doublepost

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

How hosed up is our food industry that we ship raw chicken from the US to be processed in China and then ship it back to be eaten. :psyduck:

Not many people in the US eat chicken feet. The Chinese however love it.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

I just watched the Tianjin explosion footage and holy crap what the gently caress were they even storing out there? Bombs inside of other larger bombs stacked on top of a fuel depot? poo poo put action movie pyrotechnics to shame.

Supposedly Calcium Carbine.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean you could compare it to the treatment of North American indigenous people (residential schools, etc...) which is still pretty genocidey.

As a descendent of people who were forced into indigenous schools it was defiantly geocide.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Largo posted:

The main purpose of the camps in Xinjiang isn't to physically kill every Uighur person sent to them, it's "re-education". Read any interviews with camp survivors and they will tell you about being forced to consume patriotic propaganda and told to renounce their religious beliefs and ethnicity, not entirely unlike the boarding schools Native American children were sent to in the USA and Canada that genocide deniers in the thread are so desperate to talk about instead. Linking census data from the government showing a growth in population over the last decade is meaningless in the context of what is actually happening in Xinjiang whether the numbers are accurate or not.

As a decendent of Native Americans who were sent to boarding schools they were 100% genocide.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Really gotta put qualifiers on it though, when people say just “genocide” the meaning is systematic death and eradication, which clearly isn’t happening. Better to say “cultural genocide”, that way what you say might actually be correct and you can go from there.

And the CPC is still very much communist don’t be silly.

"Cultural" genocide is genocide.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sad that the PRC has the second-largest GDP per capita in the world but gets dumpstered by the US and rivalled by the likes of Australia despite the vastly more potential athletes. I'm sure it's the fault of the imperialist yank that it can't field more athletes.

The PRC has no where near the second largest gpd per Capita in the world.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

How are u posted:

Medals by GDP per capita. Well, there we go, we found a way for China to be #1 again. Feelings officially unhurt.

I guess China did win gold in badminton after all.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

https://www.metro.us/didi-and-jd-com-workers/

Seems relevant, DiDi and JD, two of the largest e-commerce companies in China are forming worker unions. There is still a question of how effective unions are in China, but that may change in the future as well.

Corporate/Yellow unions do not represent workers.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Smeef posted:

Does that stat have any basis in reality? (70% of Chinese millennials own a home (not rented, not owned by a bank)

Every Chinese millennial I know that owns an apartment was married and financed by 4 parents, 8 grandparents, and as many other extended relatives they could guilt into lending them money, too.

Plus they have a 20 or 70 year lease, not ownership.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

lollontee posted:

so are there states that are do have the right to react with the motive of self-preservation or not? why are some states reactions permissible and what defines that line? what is a "righteous" and "proportional" response to an attempted secession?

States don't have rights, they have responsibilities. People have rights.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

“ One of the most pervasive myths about the social credit system is that China’s central government is issuing social credit scores to every individual. The typical story goes something like this: every Chinese citizen will receive a social credit score from the central government based on their behavior. Those with low scores will be socially ostracized, and those with high scores will be the new upper class.

The problem with this story is that it’s simply not true. As of September 2019, the central government has not issued a social credit score to any Chinese citizen.”

Oh what about local government? Is local government being encouraged by the central government to develop their own scoring systems for local residents?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're handwaving the vast amount of transformation and iteration the private sector ends up doing to actually turn that core technology into something accessible and affordable to everyday consumers. The internet may have involved a lot of government effort or efforts of public non profit organizations, but developing the personal computer made some people extremely rich and we can't say with 100% confidence if the same developments would have happened in the same time frame if they weren't extremely likely to have gotten rich pushing that envelope.

And no one is saying it requires it, but it certainly seems to be very effective at it.

I would also say that it hand waves away the "gently caress you dad" process that can happen. William Shockley was a very self-motivated researcher, he was also an rear end in a top hat. Why shouldn't the traitorous eight be able to go "gently caress You Bill" at Shockley and make their own company with Sherman Fairchild? Why shouldn't all of their founders of the Fairchildren be able to go "gently caress You Sherman" when it turns out that he didn't understand their needs?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Pretty much yeah. Maybe R&B's ideal system just means the government pays researches and gives you grant money and leave it to them to form teams/bureau's as they want so they'd still be able to leave Shockley's bureau and form their own, which sounds fine on paper; but that's all there is though, something that sounds nice on paper without any evidence if it would work in practice.

Would they be able to form their own? Shockley would lean on the National Academy of Science and make sure that his bureau would be the only one funding. He would argue that silicon transistors are an evolutionary dead end and that only germanium transistors, specifically HIS germanium transistors, are the only logical way forward. They would be locked out of government contracts and denied budgeting. Uncle Sam doesn't care, Shockley's transistors will work just fine on the XB-70 anyways. No need for duplication of effort.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

je1 healthcare posted:

Huawei is literally banned in the US? Because I'm seeing their products all over Amazon and Walmart. The majority of the US tech marketshare is already taken up by non-American companies. The third best-selling smartphone brand in the US is Lenovo, which is also a Chinese company

It isn't banned, its just that any CAF and USF funding can't be used to buy Huawei equipment.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Is that an additional delay on release that's going to last indefinitly, or an indefinite delay on ever releasing any more stats?

Yes.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

MikeC posted:

These 2 statements seem potentially incongruent to each other.

"or other means" was cut off.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

Is “calling in loans” a thing? The article doesn’t mention any pauses being lifted currently. Is this like when China “called in” the U.S. debt they owned? I’m pretty sure there aren’t any bilateral balloon payment loans

Depends on the kinds of loans. Us bonds have a secondary market and China can sell those bonds whenever they want. They can't demand that the us pay them back for them outside of the contracted payment.

Where thing are a bit different is Chinese Banks like to offer development loans for say telecom. They like to offer a turn key solution with revenue sharing and have the loan payments start up years later. Everything goes well in the short term. The officials who signed the contract retire in Paris and their successors now have to deal with a mess because the contract needs to be renegotiated and the unpaid loans are a sword of damocles over everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Kchama posted:

That’s literally the definition of ‘imperialism’.

It's only imperialism if it's from the imperial west. If it's from China, a self described state of Communism and anti imperialism it's sparkling hegemony.