Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Here's a Question I've always had. Why does the chinese government choose to treat it's muslim population like crap? ( I am referring to poo poo like THIS)Is there a racism towards muslims in Chinese society or is this a leftover of communist fanaticism they haven't bothered to fix yet? or is it some sort of revenge over the fact that some of the more important generals and forces of Chang Kai Shek were Muslims?

Is there any kind of discussion in Chinese society or government on how it's muslim population is viewed or treated? do the Chinese value and celebrate the muslim heroes, scientists, and writers of it's history or are they swept under the rug and only used to market China to Muslim states?

On more contemporary side, are there any Chinese Muslims who are reaching any kind of prominence or coverage in china? writers, entrepreneurs, businessmen etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Most Muslims in China aren't Uyghurs? You're starting off with a pretty low level of knowledge on this subject.

I never said that. I pointed this out as an example of repression of a harmless religious rite, I dont know if this repression is being applied on han muslims as well. my question was about Chinese muslims in general both uyghurs and other ethnicities.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BrotherAdso posted:

There are three very distinctly different Muslim populations in China. The Hui, Uygher, and Turkic populations have extremely different takes on Islam and its relation to China, Chinese culture, and the modern PRC. They also have radically different histories within China. Which one are you curious about?

For a moment of pure silly anecdote, it seems to me on the PRC/North China "street" the most common association for Islamic groups is tasty food, not Civil War generals.

For a 10-second overview to help you refine your question:
Hui are ethnic Chinese with a Chinese dialect descended from early converts and travelling merchants. They have a long history in Chinese politics and society, and, though they have some troubles in the modern PRC, these are really few and far between.

Ok, starting with this one since they are the most accepted group out of them, are there any Hui individuals who have reached any form of prominence or affluence in china today?

For example, are there any who rank high in the communist party or military are most of them appointed as a quota to give an air of minority representation?

Have any of them reached high within societal circles, are any of them national celebrities, acclaimed writers or powerful businessmen? or are they victims of an unofficial discrimination (for example business contracts given to Han Chinese over Hui people, or perhaps a Hui writer is more censored than a Han)?

Do Chinese textbooks and media mention any Muslim contributors to Chinese history (such as the Kansu Braves in the boxer rebellion and the Generals who led the fight against the japanese) or are they swept under the rug?

quote:

Uyghurs live in far Western China (Xinjiang province), speak a dialect of their own language in addition to Chinese, have a shorter history of participation in the Chinese political sphere and a more troubled one. They are a regional near-majority with some ethnic nationalism and ties to other Central Asian peoples, and have been in for the most trouble and repression of all the Muslim groups in modern China.

Is the policy china has undertaken with the Uyghurs generally the same kind of policy like Tibet or is there a special reason why they have to crack down as hard as they do on them?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

zero alpha posted:

So, does anyone disagree that China is an imperialist power? It seems their influence is overshadowing even that of the US in Africa right now, and that's not new, either -- they were giving arms and money to Mobutu back in the early days.

I'm curious to see how ASEAN will react and if they'll form an explicit military alliance to counter China.

I think china can be every bit as dirty as the western powers when the time comes, there's a famous quote by Ho Chi Minh Saying "I'd Rather Smell French poo poo for forty years than eat chinese poo poo for a thousand" and there's a lot of truth to that statement.

It's foolish to assume that any power will be more imperialistically benevolent when it's their turn to be able to treat others with impunity. and I'd encourage every member of ASEAN to do whatever is in their power to keep china at arms length from them. not that allying with the west is any better, but Indonesia-Malaysia have the population,underlying infrastructure and the potential to be real naval and military powers if they just put their minds and money into it, add in Vietnam's great military experience and I think you've got a force that could keep china at bay for the foreseeable future.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

China’s Plan To Create A Supercity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBQvChQDEc

They plan for 130 million people...

Why don't they just move people into the various other empty ghost town supercities they built.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh look it's mr. fascist sisi with his bitch coward civilian killing troops.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I've always wondered, why is it with every military parade I've seen out of Russia and china the entire sqaure of troops look rightwards to the leader, but the column closest to him keeps looking forward?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Where are the scarlet wearing white beret waifu brigade? :(

*edit*

holy poo poo they went all out with the 'no blinking' rule those have that 'oh poo poo I forgot my wallet' look super hard.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 3, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

holy poo poo American foreign policy at the mercy of a mad tweeter we're all dead.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I've always wondered what's the ratio of how many sunny days there are in China compared to depressing mist and smog.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy moly Mongolia's partying like it's 1229.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I will never understand the mindset of loving fascist pig like Xi Xinping who would rather wipe out entire groups of human beings rather than earn their loyalty through kindness and benevolence, the CCP are just a loving disgusting group of fascist pigs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

holy poo poo Chinese propagandists are the loving worst lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/1450870151495176195?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The CCP did actually study the reasons why Tianemen happened and the result was the ‘the hundred years of humiliation’ propaganda campaign, basically they started taking kids on tours accross China to the sites of every crime committed against China by Europe and the Japanese to instill into the youth how China is under siege from western attempts to fracture it and stop the economic and technological progress by sowing discord and protest.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Imagine crying over a 99 year contract imposed on china by an imperialist power who was one of many who were raping china being actually implemented and returned to its rightful country. The form of government china ended up being at the end of those 99 years is irrelevant.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 8, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

"rightful country" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here

Yes. Hong Kong and other parts of China were literally raped from them at gunpoint by European and Japanese imperial powers in the late 1800’s, sorry that the side that came out on top were the communists but hey as the Europeans loved to say ‘sucks to suck you weak bitch loser’ maybe next time don’t force Chinese people to give you their land and buy opium at gunpoint

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

china is acting like the rapist european and japanese powers, which is good because

China didn’t invade Hong Kong they asked Britain to hold up their end of a contract they were forced to sign that’s all.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

britain didn't invade hong kong they just asked china for a contract in perpetuity. the gunships were just an honor guard

pretending the handover was not informed by looming threat of force is terrifically stupid

It’s unironically good that China has the force to stand up to their former imperial rapists now I agree also the contract was 99 years so it’s good that China has the strength to force the British to keep to their contracts.

It’s not revanchist to want the Chinese to have their historical lands respected and returned were not talking about the South China Sea or the Philippines or heck even Taiwan but the issue of Hong Kong is pretty open and shut case in favour of mainland China

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It’s really funny how people claim China can’t innovate when America literally banned HuaWei for being too innovative and too competitive against American tech companies. They literally outperformed American tech companies and the US government had to intervene.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I am 100% pro stealing IP as the great innovator Steve Jobs said “good artists copy, great artists steal” so if China needs to steal tech (like america has always done) then good for them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow those rumored back doors sound horrible now let me take a big sip of coffee and see what western tech companies and the five eyes and the nsa are up to

Also, they literally banned google off of their consumer phones it’s pretty obvious HuaWei phones were becoming too good and cheap compared to American phones so they had to undermine them somehow

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The Chinese have successfully finished their space station, a genuinely huge milestone for Chinese science and tech:-

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1587409399521239046?s=20&t=hRQ3faFCrRBPy7aP1NY0ZA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

big news in my part of town, China and Xi Jinping are going to be in Riyadh Saudi Arabia for a giant multi-day summit/party with a bunch of Arab dictators.

https://www.reuters.com/world/chinas-xi-visit-saudi-arabia-attend-chinese-saudi-summit-spa-2022-12-06/

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/05/middleeast/xi-jinping-saudi-arabia-visit-intl/index.html

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

aljazeera made a really interesting report about chinas first military fortress abroad in Djibouti

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1684224841258348544?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

It appears to be fully in non dubbed Arabic so it would be great if you could give a summary.

Its just that china built a giant military base in djibouti very very close to a japanese/us military base in the same area so theres tension