Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
Thanks for this incredibly informative post. As someone who is second-gen and half-Chinese, most of my knowledge of China comes from my interactions and involvement with Chinese expats (mostly from Hong Kong).

I had heard from relatives that there can be a bit of a political struggle over the use of Cantonese and that some feel as if the Beijing are trying to "wipe them out". Would it be possible to outline the political struggle surrounding the use of Cantonese and put any illusions I have about what is happening to rest?

On a further note, do you have information that relates to Mao on a particular point? There was an argument I heard recently that part of the reason for Mao and the CCP's failure to properly institute a "properly" communist system was because they failed to keep control of officials in rural and poverty-stricken areas. So instead of instituting the regime's changes, these officials used local superstition and pre-existing social mores to establish their corruption and solidify power. The CCP, eager to create a new China, forgot that they were building on top of old China and not simply sweeping it away with their reforms. What would your opinion be on this subject and where could I learn more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU