Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Imperialist Dog posted:

Amusingly enough this post just landed on my Facebook wall, claiming (i think) fake milk formula has now been found in Hong Kong.

My best attempt (correct me please):

Everyone pay attention!!!!! Even HK-bought milk powder can be fake! Today my sister opened a can of milk powder! She discovered it contained less powder than usual! She talked to me after that! I compared it to another freshly opened can and it really contained much less! And then I tried tasting it! And it really was fake! Really sweet! The milk taste was barely there! Really weak! And the powder was white! [No idea what this means]! Deadly! Next time I'm going to the drugstore to get it! My mom knows how to order good formula! Really scary

God that was annoying to translate. Sorry for any mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

That's because it's colloquial Cantonese (and written with typical Hong Kongers' character substitution). You got the main point but missed some details:
Thanks a bunch :)

As for the general Chinese opinion on North Korea, my impression from most of the younger Chinese I talk to is that it is regarded with a mixture of sympathy ("that used to be us") and good-natured derision. Chinese state media presents the DPRK in a much more flattering light than what we're used to in the West, which I think tends to color opinions a bit.

It is a pretty remote issue, though. I don't hear it brought up a lot. Every now and then you'll get a NK-related meme, like this video of a newscaster that made the rounds a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lILmn22lENM

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

goldboilermark posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you lived or studied in China? Do you know anyone in the political realm over here?
Not only that, whatever7 is the only honest-to-god Chinese person posting actively in this thread, not counting ABCs and the like (AFAIK).

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
I freely agree that the GLF death toll may have been exaggerated by people like Dikötter and Jung Chang, but the 30+ million figures have been pretty exhaustively corroborated, most recently in Tombstone, which you'll find in the literature list of the OP. It's 1200 pages of extensively sourced material where the author concludes that 36 million died more or less directly as a result of government policies.

Voice of America has a decent interview up with the author, Yang Jisheng. He's a retired Xinhua journalist, which gave him the credentials he needed to access provincial archives for research purposes. I think one of the more important points he brings up is that it wasn't just Mao's fault, but rather the failure of officials over a multitude of levels. I agree with the previous poster that saying that Mao "killed" so and so many millions of people is a fundamentally ignorant way of looking at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQGXZc_6ei4