Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Maybe I'm missing a large and obvious point, but how would switching to a pinyin based system increase literacy? The same kids still would and would not be attending school. Is it just because you think a pinyin system would be easier to teach yourself or learn from a sibling who went to school or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Arglebargle III posted:

:raise: People who can't read characters know what they mean? Solid blocks of text make skimming easier? Chinese creates new characters every time they need a new word? You and people you know pun with characters instead of sounds?

Nothing you just said except the part about dialect-speakers being shut out of written Chinese made sense.

You can look at a character and know the meaning but not know how to say it. I run into this problem a lot learning new words, I always end up learning the meaning first but the pronunciation later so it doesn't seem too far fetched that this might happen to native speakers as well when they are learning characters.

It's much easier to skim a text for important information and look for characters rather than skim a text and look for bai1 bai2 bai3 or whatever, because when you are using pinyin you have to derive meaning from context since there are so many homophones, but that's not the case with characters.

They do create new characters for new words, although I don't think its super common, I've only learned a few.

Puns with characters are like half of my news feed on qzone, though that wouldn't be such a great loss I guess.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

advanced vocabulary has to be learned first as speech and then again in written form instead of in a phonetic system where after the initial investment of time learning the alphabet and spelling conventions, so long as you know how to say a more difficult word you can at least sound it out and recognize it when reading as well as write it (though not necessarily properly due to the vagaries of spelling.)

I don't know if this is true though. As a foreigner, when I study Chinese on my own I pretty much always learn the meanings of the written forms first and then learn how to say them in the correct tone. Maybe it is completely different for native speakers where they learn how to say the character first, then learn how to read/write it, but I find it hard to believe this is always the case, especially for a native speaker who starts learning characters at a young(ish) age.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Anyone know anything about the protests going on in Chongqing the past couple days? http://www.molihua.org/2012/04/30_11.html is all I've really seen so far.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

az jan jananam posted:

The article specifically states that the Chinese government is preventing these people from fasting, an essential aspect of Ramadan observance.

No, the Chinese government is saying people are not allowed to fast. How could they actually prevent anyone from not eating?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Something obviously happened. If he hurt his back swimming, which is the official government position at this point afaik, they wouldn't be censoring social media websites.

He probably had a heart attack or something and they are waiting to see if he will fully recover before releasing any information.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

This is only getting started, what do we have like 2 months until the government changes over? The government needs to make sure everyone briefly forgets about any real issues and channels their hate towards something other than their own government so the changes go smoothly. The predictability of it all would be funny if it wasn't so sad that people actually fall for this poo poo.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

It really doesn't matter if they apologize 1000 more times or not at all. The Chinese government would never allow its people to hear it and become more sympathetic towards Japan, because then what enemy would they easily be able to unite the people against to draw attention away from themselves?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

I don't know, it does seem like DJT's experiences are pretty atypical. I mean he's using examples of his Chinese family (who lives in America) and his wife and friends from Hangzhou and Shanghai (both pretty rich cities).

Really though half of China's population is still living in or around farms in the countryside. It's pretty laughable to think after a back breaking 14 hour day of labor barely making enough money to feed his family some farmer is going to hop on weibo and discuss politics. When you're hosed as much as poor people here, you don't have the time or luxury to sit around and discuss the social problems that hosed you in the first place.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

flatbus posted:

Why didn't the other Politburo members like him?

A lot of his supporters were part of a growing pro communism movement, not like the "communism" of today's government, but actual red guard, Mao era type poo poo. Nothing would be worse for the CCP than if a movement like that gained traction, because how are they supposed to stop it while still keeping up their own facade of communism?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Baby Huey Newton posted:

heh reading this page everybody brought out the racism. Asians learn about sex and reproduction, in fact their education system is far better than the United States where a large percentage of the population believes birth control and abortion to be the work of the devil and science being lies put on Earth to test our faith.

Just because someone says something you don't want to hear doesn't make it racism. If you look at that link posted a little ways back you will see that no, most Chinese women do not actually learn about birth control and abortion at all, which is certainly worse than having a negative view of them.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

hitension posted:

Also, who says Chinese people don't know about birth control and abortion?! Don't you know "Family planning policies" are kind of a huge deal in China?? Not saying that's a good way to teach/enforce it, but at the very least I'm uh, pretty sure the concept is understood.

http://www.un.org/depts/escap/pop/journal/v09n4a2.htm

Yang posted:

For use of the pill, condoms and other contraceptive methods, China has the lowest rates among all the selected Asian countries and areas.
It is very unlikely that the differences in socio-economic development between Taiwan Province of China, Hong Kong, Singapore and China as a whole would fully account for the differences in contraceptive patterns. The unusually high percentage of sterilization and IUD use, and the relatively low percentage of other contraceptive methods used in China suggest that the family planning programme indeed directed the pattern of contraceptive use.

This article is about how family planning only increased sterilization and IUD rates among women, but did nothing to promote condom use, the pill, etc. Now since it was written in the 90's let's find some more recent statistics on condom use.

http://paa2012.princeton.edu/papers/120815

Guo et al posted:

Previous studies demonstrate that Chinese youth are ill-prepared for avoiding unsafe sex (Wang and Davidson 2006; Wang et al. 2005). Their risky behaviors parallel a widespread lack of knowledge about sexual and reproductive health. This knowledge is especially deficient among those age 12-18 years (World Health Organization 2005). Within this age group, less than half can identify major STIs such as syphilis and gonorrhea, and many have a limited understanding of the transmission paths of HIV/AIDS. Moreover, less than half cannot identify a method of contraception. Though this knowledge increases with age, it is still low among college students. The rural population and migrant youth have among the least amount of knowledge, with some unaware of the relationship between sexual intercourse and pregnancy. In large part, this lack of knowledge stems from an absence of comprehensive sex education in schools and a reluctance among parents to discuss these issues with their children (Zhang, Li, and Shah 2007).

Guo et al posted:

Among sexually active unmarried females, 23% have had unintended pregnancies, of which 91% were terminated through induced abortion (Zheng, Chen, and Gao 2010).

Guo et al posted:

The bivariate results demonstrate that about one-third (35.7%) of Chinese youth used a condom at their sexual debut. The rate of CSD is 20.7% for Chinese youth aged 15-16 years, 33.1% for those aged 17-20, and 44.6% for those aged 21-24.

They mention the rate in America, 61% condom usage at sexual debut, as well.

Finally, here's an interesting survey I found about sex workers, condom usage, and HIV/AIDS knowledge.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/113

Zhang et al posted:

The mean of the percent of correct responses to HIV prevention knowledge was only 45.7% and the mean of the percent of correct responses to HIV transmission knowledge was 61.2%. 47.1% of the women reported using condoms with clients every time during vaginal intercourse in the last month. Only 19.4% of the women were tested for HIV in the past year.

Even many of the people who make a living through sex do not practice or understand safe sex and STD transmission.

You guys can keep hand waving this away as 'white man being racist :downs:' or whatever, but the fact is a lack of sexual education in China is leading to high rates of unwanted pregnancy, abortion, STD and HIV transmission and it is a major problem.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Substitute noodles for rice depending on where you are and who you are with but yea, one or the other at every meal is pretty common.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

^What is this a loving 五毛党 post? "Corruption doesn't really hurt all those rural poor people, and westerners just don't understand" :downs:

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Pretty sure he just means the actual physical destruction of things around China.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

So what exactly happens if they were to become a SAR? Does the Chinese government still get to control their natural resources and fresh water? Because that's the only way it would ever happen.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Does anything even happen to restaurants that "fail" inspection or whatever? A fine maybe? There's so many places I've eaten at with the red :( on the wall from whoever's been by to inspect them but it doesn't seem like anyone gives a poo poo.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Nice, isnt that around the same time there will start to be more dependents than people working thanks to the effects of the one child policy? Should be a fun time to live here.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

The Shanghai consulate is at 99% approval and the rest are 85%+. It's not that hard to get to the US as a Chinese citizen anymore if you don't have a criminal record.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

Citation majorly needed. 99% is more than Hong Kong, so that's shocking to me.

I don't have any citations. I don't even know if they publish this info anywhere, I'm sure they do but I'm too lazy to look. I get my statistics straight from the FSO's/adjudicators doing visas at the consulates, and they get theirs from totaling how many visas they approve/deny. The interview is the actual part that matters and it's extremely subjective, because any documents showing bank records or property ownership or whatever will look the same whether they are fake or real, so these kinds of "ties to China" don't actually matter much.

Shanghai is so high because it's just Shanghai people applying there for the most part. Who the gently caress would want to live in America when you live in Shanghai?

edit: Approving a much higher % of visas is a recent thing too, within the last year or two I guess, around when the first class of adjudicators started

Arakan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 10, 2013

Arakan
May 10, 2008

But the point is how can they prove that the cash or property is real? A fake bank statement is going to look the same as a real one. That's why the interview is all that really matters now, I don't know if it was different in the past.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

I think you actually need a letter from the bank to go with the statement. So they could just call up the dude who signed the letter.

Yea everything is covered in the package you can buy for 20-30k USD. It includes coaching for the interview too. I mean the Chinese government won't even allow the consulates to access court records for people applying who have committed crimes in the past, they don't exactly have a ton of resources at their disposal to figure out what's real and what's fake.

Gail Wynand posted:

Just because your FSO buddy says "dude, yeah, we approve like 99% of people these days" over beers doesn't mean that's the actual stat.

Oh for sure, it's definitely the highest of all the consulates though because of the regions they are responsible for (majority native Shanghai applicants) and I'd be surprised if it was much lower than that. Much easier to approve people when you don't have mass Henan people trying to illegally emigrate through your jurisdiction like Beijing. My point wasn't to say here's a concrete statistic, it was more to say hey it's not really hard for mainland Chinese people to get visas to America anymore, because for some reason everyone still thinks it's hard.

Not sure why approval rates would be a secret? I've seen them online somewhere awhile back I just don't remember where.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Here's some links I guess

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2011/10/176049.htm

quote:

During the past five years, visa issuances have increased 124 percent in China. In fiscal year 2011, consular officers processed more than one million visas in China, an increase of more than 35 percent over last year.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2011/11/176781.htm

quote:

In fact, we issue visas to nearly 90 percent of all Chinese applicants who apply.

These are both from 2011, it's higher now.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Well because they kill the second girl obviously

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Sogol posted:

I would be interested to understand more about how research and funding decisions are actually made in China, if anyone has anything on that.

You could probably just say that instead of making a bunch of useless posts about America next time.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

What relevance does that have to the China thread?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Don't people just buy homes with cash in China? I don't think I've ever met anyone with a mortgage. Sure people might lose a bunch of money on an individual basis with a collapse but the whole financial system isn't really in danger like it was in America.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

MeramJert posted:

While buying with cash seems more common in China, tons of people have mortgages. Usually people put 20-30% of the total value of the home as a down payment.

Well from what I read it looks like 30-40% down payment on a first mortgage, and they upped it to 60% this year on second mortgages. So not great, but it seems they are trying to head in the right direction. I didn't really see any concrete figures on how many people take out mortgages, somewhere between 50-70% it looks like.

Then there's this (page 3 section 5)

http://www.pbc.gov.cn/image_public/...81%EF%BC%89.pdf

Which pretty much says that the only thing putting controls on lending in major cities did was shift lending to rural areas in greater quantities. I wonder why they don't just implement lending controls everywhere, instead of only implementing reactionary controls when a problem arises in certain cities? It seems like a really easy problem to fix since unlike in America, where people get beside themselves when there is government intervention in the market, the Chinese government can just do whatever.

And China is still only at like 15% of America's value of outstanding mortgages before the crash, so while there is a housing bubble there's no mortgage bubble yet...unless they keep being stupid I guess.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 28, 2013

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Yea how are you going to avoid income taxes if you don't use cash man?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

SCMP posted a cool interactive timeline showing major events in their 110-year history. Scroll through it and get Babby's First History of 20th-21st century Hong Kong.

2010: The SCMP launches its iPad app

Arakan
May 10, 2008

flatbus posted:

A large portion of Americans don't even consider their own loving president to be American because he's half black, and yet I don't see Chinese or Indians (or even black Americans) avoiding white American movies and music because they can't relate to whiteness. You've got to come up with something less obviously wrong than that.

What does watching Western media have to do with anything? Why are you trying to frame the argument this way?

flatbus posted:

When Japan claims an island so far out from its mainland that it's halfway down Fujian latitude-wise, there is no discussion of claims because China made the claims up. century.

Treaty of Shimonoseki > Okinawa Reversion Agreement. There are no 'claims' that need to be made by anyone.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

MJ12 posted:

So why doesn't Japan submit the dispute to the ICJ for arbitration? Yes, China isn't a signatory to the binding part of that whole thing, but doing so would put significantly more pressure on China to admit its claims are illegitimate.

It's not like Japan is loath to do so, it did exactly that when it had a near-identical dispute with Korea, because it thought it had a strong case (and because it was in Korean hands at the time). No, I'm pretty sure there are 'claims' that need to be made, even if the Japanese party line is "there is no way any reasonable person would ever say that the islands are anything other than Japanese."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen...udiaoyu-crisis/

And a Japanese international law professor thinks the Japanese claims are indefensible. Not weak, not 'dubious', indefensible. As in "Japan literally has no claim".

This guys argument is that the U.S. never gave Japan sovereignty over the islands and only gave them administrative control back. Which means he thinks the U.S. retained sovereignty over the islands.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

MJ12 posted:

No, it isn't. It's that as one of the territories Japan took from China, it was implicitly returned to China (or Taiwan) by the treaties Japan signed. Japan was only allowed to retain administrative control over it for the time being. That, and the more important argument was "China was more than happy to leave the dispute for the future, the Japanese nationalization was incompetent no matter how well-meaning and needlessly antagonistic."

Which treaty? Potsdam? Why does The Okinawa Reversion Treaty not take precedent over that? The islands were never actually returned to Taiwan or China after Potsdam, they remained in American control until they were handed back to Japan in 1972 under the terms of a new treaty.

Paper Mac posted:

Are we reading the same article? He pretty clearly states that the US' position was that the issue of sovereignty was to be worked out between the claimants, not that the US itself has sovereignty over the islands, which makes no sense at all.

The article is like a page long I'm just taking his point to one of its logical conclusions. China or Taiwan were never in control of the islands after WWII, America was.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

This is what Potsdam says

quote:

The terms of the Cairo Declaration shall be carried out and Japanese sovereignty shall be limited to the islands of Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku and such minor islands as we determine.

Then in 1971 we have this:

http://www.niraikanai.wwma.net/pages/archive/rev71.html

It looks like America determined with this agreement that Japan should be the ones to control such minor islands like Diaoyu from that point forward.

Yes, I read the guys lovely argument about semantics w/r/t sovereignty vs. administrative control, which doesn't support mainland China's claim at all. How about you link me something with substance or refute what I am saying?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

I guess what I'm not getting is this

Potsdam posted:

The terms of the Cairo Declaration shall be carried out and Japanese sovereignty shall be limited to the islands of Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku and such minor islands as we determine.

Cairo Declaration posted:

"The Three Great Allies are fighting this war to restrain and punish the aggression of Japan. They covet no gain for themselves and have no thought of territorial expansion. It is their purpose that Japan shall be stripped of all the islands in the Pacific which she has seized or occupied since the beginning of the first World War in 1914, and that all the territories Japan has stolen from the Chinese, such as Manchuria, Formosa, and The Pescadores, shall be restored to the Republic of China. Japan will also be expelled from all other territories which she has taken by violence and greed.

So there's Potsdam and the Cairo Declaration. But Japan took control of Diaoyu in 1895, so all the treaties don't reference China's claim or with the 1971 one it reinforces Japan's claim. Unless you don't apply 1914 to the second part of that sentence but that seems a bit of a stretch.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 27, 2013

Arakan
May 10, 2008

flatbus posted:

Formosa and the Pescadores were all ceded to Japan before WWI in the Treaty of Shimonoseki in 1895. If those two territories under that treaty are counted as 'stolen from the Chinese,' who's to say the rest of the Chinese territory ceded in that treaty (or that year, 1895... not sure if the treaty explicitly mentioned the Diaoyu islands) doesn't count as well? It wouldn't make sense to restrict it to post-1914 territories since two of the 3 examples given were ceded much earlier.

Yea I mean that's all it says. They weren't more explicit than that, or at least I can't find anything, and nothing references Diaoyu by any of its names. I guess that's why these issues arise in the first place.

Bloodnose posted:

Zhang Yimou's To Live is the only big contender I can think of. And it still doesn't have that much name recognition in America.

I know a lot of people who like 'Hero', but my friends are nerds.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

They have to foist this stuff on their own uneducated indoctrinated citizens because it's the only market for it. Nobody anywhere else with half a brain is going to buy into that bullshit.

Well actually they've been foisting it onto other countries uneducated populations as well so it's worse than you thought.

http://thinkafricapress.com/uganda/get-rich-or-die-trying-chinese-herbal-medicine-death-sentence-uganda

Arakan
May 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkiTkMVemM

:allears:

Arakan
May 10, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Deng-Xiaoping-Transformation-China-Vogel/dp/0674055446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

TCM isn't as pervasive in regular medical degrees here as you guys are saying. Pretty sure students are required to take Acupuncture + some other class I can't remember right now, but that's about it.

Also I found out the best part about studying medicine in China is that you get lots of hands on experience with cadavers since China executes so many people every year.