Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

whatever7 posted:

Do you consider giving doctor who is going to perform minor surgery on you a red pocket 腐败?

Giving monetary inducements to someone in a position of power and authority in the hopes of influencing his decisions? Yes, that is literally the definition of corruption in all countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
No one here is apologizing for censorship. He's just saying that reporters and news outlets are rational actors pursuing their own self interests like everyone else. Global Times does a thriving business printing poo poo that lots of people actually want to read, for example.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ugh. Real estate is the most boring subject.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Mao was right about everything during the Cultural Revolution. The current political class has repudiated it because they (Deng Xiao Ping et al) were mostly the victims of its excesses, so today you only hear about the negatives and the excesses while the positive aspects never get any airtime.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys understand that the Manchus aren't the Mongols and didn't live on the "steppes"? The Manchus had already ruled as a Sinicized kingdom in Beijing back in the 10th Century. The Manchu kingdom in the 17th Century was entirely organized along Chinese lines. The Manchu army that conquered China was mostly made up of Han Chinese.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
More people in the west should get on the bandwagon. As soon as the Chinese see unequivically that the movement is widely supported by AMERICANS in AMUURRICA they'll realize the error of their ways and there will be widespread public support on the Chinese street to just voluntarily give up 30% of the country to obviously AMERICAN backed seperatists. :bravo:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Mao pretty much did literally order the execution of millions of people though, the land reform campaigns and "supression of counter revolutionaries" of the early 1950s alone would have been on par with anything Lenin/Stalin dreamed up.

EDIT: It's always amusing to me how much sympathy there is in the west for villagers today protesting "illegal land seizures". No one mentions that little detail about how the peasants got "their" land in the first place - i.e. brutally murdering the owners and probably their families too. What is there to "seize" anyway? I thought we all agreed back then that "owning land" wasn't a thing anymore. :smug:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 13, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can you post some more walls of text and screenshots/MSpaint? I am still unclear about the part where :qq: your life isn't worth living anymore because Jean Claude Van Damme has a nicer house than you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never had any reason to want to go to Hong Kong, but now I want to go just to take a dump in the street.

Have you guys finished listening to all the Sinica episodes? I've got something else for you.

http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/

A guy writes a large amount of words about Japan. If you want to know what China will look like in 20 years, here's a preview.

http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/phoenix-seagaia-look-on-my-works-ye-mighty/

http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/spike-hokkaido-2/wallstreet/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the publicised aspects of his investment plan - build a golf course and resort on land that seems to be windswept tundra in the summer and buried under a lot of snow the rest of the year, do seem pretty implausible on the face of it. So it's sort of understandable that people might think he had other motives.

Of course these people don't understand China and think it's some kind of well run country where capital is allocated to those best able to manage it instead of just politically connected cronies. So a much more plausible and mundane explanation to most Chinese people is that the guy is either a) just a regular well connected fixer who's going to use the resort project as a front to either bilk money out of the government/investors, or launder the proceeds of corruption, or something in that vein, or b) a well connected half baked lunatic who doesn't care whether his crazy projects make money or not, because it's not his money so who gives a poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe you guys need to not hang out with BNP members/literal Nazis so much because I've never heard of any conservative espouse such a view? Even relatively milquetoast/limited government interventions in the market like the GM/Chrysler bailouts left most American conservatives/republicans agog.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There is no exit visa but ordinary Chinese do not generally have passports as a matter of course and getting one can be a bit of a hassle depending on where you live/hukou, because they are issued by regional entry/exit bureaus and you need an actual reason for leaving,verification from your work unit, and sundry other hoops. If you are a respectable state employee with a Beijing hukou then it's not too bad, if you are a Uygur or a Tibetan, well first you probably have to travel to the provincial capital at least to put in the application, and well don't hold your breath.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Neither Sinica nor CHP are beholden to the Chinese government and that should be clear to anyone who has even a vague understanding of all those supposedly off-limits topics. They just SEEM to be, because the usual narrative in the Western media is so anti-Chinese by comparison, and the Chinese government isn't literally a moustache twirling super-villan.

Sinica addresses this in their Q&A ep a few weeks ago, they don't generally talk about Tibet or Xinjiang because dumb laowais who want to talk about that poo poo are invariable ignorant ideologues who really just want to stir up trouble. This is the correct decision.

I've never heard them shy away from any of the other sensitive topics.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gail Wynand posted:

There is a historian at my university who literally wrote the (English-language) book on Xinjiang, and is not a political activist. He was banned from China for several years because he wrote a chapter for an edited volume on Xinjiang compiled by an ex-US government official. Somebody in the Chinese government got their hands on the book and decided that it was part of the grand US conspiracy to destabilize Xinjiang. Sure there are a lot of dumb laowais out there talking about Xinjiang/Tibet but the authorities are also paranoid to the point of excess.

I seem to recall that this book was actually recommended in that very episode.

Anyway it was basically a creative decision and I'm fine with it. The Dalai Lama has plenty of other channels with which to communicate his position and I'm glad this isn't one of them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Is this a pun? I regret my choice in learning the inferior version of moon-runes now. :negative:

Iceland in Chinese is 2 characters, "Ice" and "Island". Ice wine is also 2 characters, "Ice" and "Wine". Ice wine is a kind of sweet wine made from grapes that were flash frozen on the vine, or something like that (I don't drink) that makes for a neat little gift that people bring back from Canada. So if you don't know anything about the outside world as most Chinese people don't, you might be inclined to think that ice wine was produced in Iceland. :thejoke:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't understand what's happening. What is she supposed to be called? The Economist calls her the same thing so you guys must be pretty outraged at the English speaking world throughout your day.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201304240082

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/04/24/2013042401169.html

SO the Japanese prime minister just said that Japan didn't really "invade" anyone during WW2, because you have to look at it from all kinds of different perspectives man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This was a picture on Xinhua

What kind of douche still wears watches nowadays anyway? I haven't had a watch since I was 12 years old. Why not throw on a nose ring or a face tattoo while you're at it?