Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Throwing in my two-cents on the Taiwan-China issue is that Taiwan can go only more or less as it is. China, however, is obsessed with reunification. This is partially cultural, as the belief that all areas of Chinese culture should be unified under one government, and partially political, as the government is deeply concerned about a break-up a la the USSR and they don't want Taiwan to be an example of autonomy.

Also, french lies, hopefully I'll have that blurbs done for you tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
The biggest obstacle is the high degree of homophony in modern Mandarin. Pinyin even with tones simply isn't specific enough. The number of dialect speakers is a problem as well.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Mozi posted:

Perhaps a strange question, but I'm in Shanghai and want to buy a harmonica, rather not getting something off of Taobao sight unseen. I don't suppose anybody has any tips?

Also, why is it so hard to find stick deodorant around here?

Edit: and a tip for Westerners to avoid stomach discomfort - eat all the 麻辣肉丝 you want, just avoid the burritos from Pizza to Go.

Go ask in the China Megathread in Travel and Tourism. Lots of the regulars live in China, they'll be able to help you.

Brennanite fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 3, 2012

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
The NY Times article on it is great; there's an older woman complaining that she had to take the train instead of driving her Mercedes, then she calls the protesters spoiled. You can't make this stuff up.