Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Awesome OP.

If this wasn't there yet, you should put it in there, family portraits of all 56 ethnic groups of China:
http://www.chinahush.com/2009/12/06/family-portraits-of-all-56-ethnic-groups-in-china/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've just never understood why the PRC has such a problem with independent Taiwan, as in the state being called "Taiwan" without "China" written anywhere in the laws or the constitution or the declaration of independence or whatever. If they have a hard-on for "One China", then let them have exactly that? I just find it ridicolous that we have this developed, populated and rich first world state that nobody recognizes officially.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19710040

Anyone think the aircraft carrier's unveiling was sped out because of the island dispute?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Arglebargle III posted:

The RoC relinquishing those claims though would be an admission that is the government of an independent Taiwan. We all know this has been the reality for 60 years, but admitting it would upset the fragile balance of both the RoC and PRC agreeing that Taiwan is part of China. If the PRC perceives an "independence" movement in Taiwan that actually has political traction they might act. Since the status quo is working okay it's easier for everyone to just pretend. Both sides are culturally Chinese, and the Chinese have a talent for pretending everything is fine.

This whole thing might seriously be the most bizarre international situation in the world.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

McDowell posted:

Like I said I'm just armchair Tom Clancy speculating, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong :shobon:

(you're wrong)