Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Kind of unrelated to the thread topic at hand but I'm quite interested in modern Chinese history, especially in geopolitical terms... Thus far I've only managed to take a brief course and go through a few books, but I'd like to know more.

I can't help but notice Jung Chang's book is in the comedy section... I admittedly didn't comb through the sources in it in any depth, mostly just focusing on the text itself, but why is this book so derided? A quick google search tells me that there are serious issues with the factual interpretations within it, but are there any specific points someone could elaborate on for me?

Secondly, I read through Li Zhi-Sui's Private Life of Chairman Mao and I was wondering if this was similarly considered, as it seems to be largely the one man's account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU