Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Riptor posted:

But no one in Taiwan actually thinks they'll someday reclaim the whole of the PRC, will they? Why wouldn't it be better to just say "nope, we're totally just Taiwan now and you know what? We're fine with that"

No one in Taiwan realistically thinks they will get the mainland back, but the decision to keep/relinquish claims on the mainland has a lot to do with north/south Taiwan tensions and the idea of ethnic Han nationalism. Taipei is all about the mandarin and Chinese culture, but as you go south and hear more Taiwanese and affirmation of Taiwanese culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Riptor posted:

Hm, could you explain more? If there's tensions within the country how wouldn't it benefit them to possibly mollify them by relinquishing the claims and work on a unified Taiwanese nationalism?

Hard green (Taiwanese) areas/people often speak Taiwanese instead of Mandarin and don't consider themselves Chinese at all, whereas the blue KMT areas/people identify strongly with Chinese culture and the idea of an ethnic Chinese state. Many of these people are descended from 外生人 (waishengren, people who fled the communists), but are not limited to those people. You'll often hear really racist stuff from KMT supporters, including statements like the recent "Chinese shouldn't interbreed with aboriginals and dilute pure Chinese blood" from a KMT politician.

Tl;dr, it's a cultural and economic gap between the rich north of Taiwan and the poor south that is also very tied up in ethnicity/language.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BrotherAdso posted:

Yes, but a substantial number of draftees:

1) Don't take their twelve months (recently reduced) too seriously -- at least, that's the impression I have ancedotally, and I have no data to back it up. Their continuing push to go volunteer seems to support my idea though.

2) Have other options, just like in Korea. I'll let him contribute, but he either chose or got military service instead of the many other alternate civil service routes. If he wants to explain his background, I'll be curious if he went in at 19 or got a deferment for education.

Also, it's unusual for people with American citizenship (who primarily live in the states) to serve in the conscription. Many just use their American passports and get if they live there, get separate visas, never claiming an ID card. Also, with the phaseout of conscription, there's the option of waiting until conscription is over.

I'd bet there's a good reason for that poster to be serving.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

skysedge posted:

A sense of civic duty, plus an intention to settle permanently in Taiwan where the rest of my family lives when I'm done. :) Its not common, but far from rare these days.

The usual scheme is for your family to hold your ID card while you secure a separate ARC. Your family then uses your ID for various forms of tax evasion. Since Taiwan has no official relations, you can be two separate people. The US doesn't even tell Taiwan about all the Taiwanese politicians who hold dual citizenship.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DerDestroyer posted:

So what's the best way to avoid trouble with the police in China then?

Carry lots of red envelopes to hand out.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
China has consumer culture, but their consumption share of GDP is low and a goal of Chinese leadership is to raise private consumption a great deal. I think the expected successor to Jiabao wanted to target something like 11-12% growth by 2015, which is still pretty low.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh hi shots shots shots, are you chiming in on anything relevant to my post or just throwing out random statistics? And do you mean Xi Jinping?

Yes, consumption share of GDP is very relevant when talking about consumer behavior. With a very low percentage that's been resistant to change, it represents a serious problem with regard to consumer spending, especially in an already poor country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hong XiuQuan posted:

1) You should post what the share of GDP is down to consumption. China Daily seems to think it was 36% in 2011.

2) You should post what the share has been over the last 5-10 years so you can substantiate that it's resistant to change.

I wasn't aware you people didn't have access to really basic statistics about China. Here's a graph using World Bank data (indicator 'NE.CON.PETC.ZS'):

Hong XiuQuan posted:

3) You should substantiate your claims about rate of growth and perhaps provide why you think it should be quicker or what the Chinese could do to increase the rate.

The answer to this is complex, and mostly involves improving the buying power of Chinese households. There are many ways to do this, such as increasing interest rates/monetary tightening, securing even cheaper resources/labor in Africa, and a million other things.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

4) You should also probably provide some sort of comparison between other nations with high rural populations - think the last figure I heard was that it had just crossed the 50% urban mark, but the CIA World Factbook still uses the 2010 46% figure - because while it may be low relative very heavily urbanised western countries, it may not be so low relative other developing nations.

It doesn't matter what other developing nations consume. China is attempting to at least reach middle-income status, if not US levels. The way to do that is to be at the point where you consume most of your income, and to reach US levels, you want other countries to subsidize your consumption.