Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

R. Guyovich posted:

this really is just a wordier gbs thread, huh

I would describe it more as the revisionist version of the c-spam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're welcome but you're missing the forest for the trees of focusing only on one very narrow aspect of my earlier explanation, which is that these more advanced chips can be used to more efficiently oppress their own people and to export similar "neolegalism" social credit systems that make use of AI and ML around the world as it asserts itself in the global south, like in the anime Psychopass. Second, you are absolutely in no position to know what top secret weapons programs the PLA might have in exploring the use for faster more efficient chips for military applications for smarter, more compact weapon systems; especially for its C6ISR systems to fight a "local conflict under modern high tech conditions" as has been the PLA's modus operandi for the past three decades. As an example the F-35 has been in development since the 1970's and no doubt any similarly major weapons system procurement China might be undergoing similarly will have a similar lead time; "now or in the near future" is an extraordinary claim and limiting access to such chips can delay such programs by years if not decades much like its difficulties to source high performance engines for its jet fighter modernization plan.

bro. BRO.

TCC is over there.

lobster shirt posted:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

To which Anime would you liken our current political relationship with China?
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

gently caress yes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Warbadger posted:

The examples here all seem like brutal authoritarians who did or are still doing awful imperialist things including (aside from Putin depending on how you view Chechnya?)

wait what? the populace of eastern Ukraine would like a word

double nine posted:

does. does china have an underproduction problem?

like they already are the world's factory, seems more that they have a distribution problem.

no but they do have to import a shitton of oil. energy security is important, and it's a win-win if you can combine increased independence with a reduction in carbon emissions. bonus points if you get to turn around and then export reactor tech along with contracts to your firms to build the same things elsewhere

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Smeef posted:

This gets highlighted so much, and I know that Taiwan is ahead technologically in integrated circuit manufacturing in ways that other countries cannot quickly recover that supply. I know that currently the world relies a lot on that technology. But nonetheless I feel like the world could respond to a supply shock of this nature a lot better than a war between two global powers using weapons of mass destruction. The world was humming along pretty well beforehand. And TSMC is already diversifying geographically. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, but this seems like a theme that won't last beyond the medium term.

we use microchips in a lot more poo poo than we used to in the beforehand, and bringing a foundry to production is a slow and expensive operation even when you're building something relatively standard. the state of the art stuff is also quite hard to get right even if you know (mostly) what you're doing, hence intel failing to get their targeted processes working for the last half decade or so.

sure, we recover from that more easily that nuclear armageddon, but that could be said for most things that aren't like, the sun exploding or whatever

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Is there a Philippines thread? Somewhere for me to be depressed about Philippine politics sort of like the JP thread? Or is it just not important enough to the SA demographic?

welcome fellow "D&D has country threads that should maybe be area threads" friend

excuse me while i go post Kazakhstan news in the "eastern europe" thread since, at least, the news in question is europe-ish facing, if against a backdrop of other "woooooo ten years of belt and road projects" news that is arguably more relevant but less amusing

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BougieBitch posted:

It's not that I think they believe it so much as they feel they have to maintain it. The actual reason why Mongolia is immune to "historical borders" is because of the support of the USSR over the main span of time when China was making those sorts of moves.

comparatively, iirc the east turkestan governments, despite ongoing and friendly-ish relations with the USSR, hit a combination of weakened relations from trying to play both sides and unlucky timing re central leadership changes in the USSR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ronya posted:

the immediate neighbours Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan all do so, with Tajikistan and Karimov-period Uzbekistan being notable, especially after the Taliban victory in the Afghan civil war in the late 1990s - but their repressions are not comparably thorough by a longshot.

the Tajikistani government's treatment of the Pamiris is... not great, and worsening, but yeah, it's pretty hard to outdo China here