Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

punk rebel ecks posted:

So...is China Communist?

I'm sorry I know its probably somewhere in the OP but I read it and its just so "meaty".

How exactly is China defined? Communist? State Capitalist? Hybrid?

Every Chinese person I asked says something different.

Largely state capitalist with an increasing number of 'free market' experiments known as Special Economic Zones. Hong Kong (which is a different story due to its history and British management) is probably the most laissez-faire place in history.

Communism was abandoned in 1979, and any remnant of Communist support is, ironically, frowned upon by the Communist Party. Bo Xilai tried to resurrect some Maoist nostalgia and was sacked, and the fact that he was also too charismatic and too good at weeding out corruption didn't help either.

There is a absurdly small possibility that the Communist Party are still actual communists, but just feel that China has not gone through the necessary (according to Marx) stages of development/industrialisation as of yet, and will go full communist again in 30 years. But there's a 0.00001% chance of that happening.

So, what do you guys think about Chinese interests (oil/mineral) around the Philippines, and South China Sea? Apparently ROK and Vietnam don't feel very well about it at all, and have been sending military advisers between themselves.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any chance the 'New Left' figures could gain power in the future, or will they be purged completely in favor of technocratic/fascist politicians?

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, does anyone disagree that China is an imperialist power? It seems their influence is overshadowing even that of the US in Africa right now, and that's not new, either -- they were giving arms and money to Mobutu back in the early days.

I'm curious to see how ASEAN will react and if they'll form an explicit military alliance to counter China.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, I was just doing some reading and found out that China supported Pinoche, Angolan Nationalists, the Shah, and so on. With all that, it's surprising that China and the USA aren't best friends. I guess I'll chalk it up to sibling rivalry.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hobohemian posted:

How many countries has the US gave arms to that later used those same arms to wage war against the US? Sure, maybe it exerts some influence, but it's nowhere near something like having active military bases in foreign countries. You can't equate what is essentially financial aid to imperialism. We give aid to North Korea and they spend most of that on weapons or to feed their own military, how's that imperial puppet working out for us?

What does that have to do with whether China is imperialist or not?

Anybody want to give me some background on why China attacked Vietnam in 1979, and tell me if there was more to it than Marxist-Leninism vs. Maoism?

This is a de-rail, but I'm wondering what role if any the US had in putting Pol Pot in power/allowing him to stay longer than he would have otherwise.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 25, 2012

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Farecoal posted:

They tried to keep him from gaining power, by bombing the poo poo out of Cambodia during the Vietnam War and killing roughly 400,000 civilians. Why would they support someone they considered a communist?

Because he and China were opposing and sabotaging USSR aligned movements after the Sino-Soviet split? Not sure, I'm just trying to remember if something weird went down with the USA and Prince Sihanuk or whomever that inadvertently destroyed the resistance to the Khmer Rouge. Some NPR story from a long time ago I think, but I could be mixed up.

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

whatever7 posted:

The "casual walk" in Chongqing has the banners of "We want to eat!" and "Give back our Wang Seng district".

So is this the beginnings of an Occupy China, or something?

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Will Germany do anything to encourage German birth rate, or just fill in the gap with immigrants? Or will they just be happy to be a small, "old" country with a good standard of living? It seems Russia is having a hard time bringing the population up even with intense government efforts.