Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm guessing the government already has Tiananmen Square on lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I can freely get around everywhere without a car, to go to a restaurant that's actually just a dumpling stand some lady with a good recipe freely set up on the side of the road. She's free to have a pet cat roaming around that I can play with while I eat. I'm then free to buy a beer and drink it while walking down the street on my way into a pharmacy to buy nearly any medication I want without a prescription. I'm free from the worry of muggings, random acts of public violence, and harassment by the police. I can pretty much walk into any non-government building or area any time I want, and I can keep chickens in the stairwell of my apartment building. I can buy products that are almost exactly the same as more expensive brand name products, because in day to day life I'm mostly free of trademark and copyright restrictions. If I had a 5 year old son I'd be free to choose to not send him to school if I didn't want to, and I could send him down the street to the corner store to buy beer and cigarettes for me and I wouldn't worry about his safety. I'm free to ride the bus without paying and there's nothing they can do to stop me. I can eat cats and dogs if I want, and I could sell weird homemade hornet infused moonshine and nobody would stop me. That's not nearly an exhaustive list of things I can freely do in China that I couldn't do in the US.

And street making GBS threads, yes.

Van Buren posted:

The general tone would have been what you would expect from life under a stable military dictatorship facing no internal resistance: the majority of people enjoy safe and productive lives (more than they had prior to the Legion's arrival) but have no freedoms, rights, or say in what happens in their communities. Water and power flow consistently, food is adequate, travel is safe, and occasionally someone steps afoul of a legionary and gets his or her head cut off. If the Legion tells someone to do something, they only ask once -- even if that means an entire community has to pick up and move fifty miles away. Corruption within the Legion is rare and Caesar deals with it harshly (even by Legion standards).
In short, residents of Legion territories aren't really citizens and they aren't slaves, but they're also not free. People who keep their mouths shut, go about their business, and nod at the rare requests the Legion makes of them -- they can live very well. Many of them don't care at all that they don't have a say in what happens around them (mostly because they felt they never had a say in it before the Legion came, anyway)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's not a perfect fit by any means (not the same relentless expansio-well, wait a minute) but there was enough in common with Electro-Boogie Jack's description of "freedom" under the PRC that I couldn't resist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Y'know, Boobylon, you're awfully insistent about how it's time to end the protest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Foxconn is in the PRC, right?

yes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Where are you guys getting this ethnicity breakdown?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

As the OMB guidelines indicate, those are very specifically defined as the minimum categories- there are a number of other specific qualifiers in the actual regs. Race and ethnicity are relatively well-understood as fluid social constructs in the US, so I'm not so sure there's an orthodoxy on the number of them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TsarZiedonis posted:

So the police are tacitly working with organized crime to dismantle the protests? Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't that be crossing a massive metaphorical line in Hong Kong?

No- it's been an established practice in past days of the protest, and it's not exactly news for people living there, by my understanding.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

I'm not sure. The SCMP reports that the security secretary's approval rating has dropped to zero. CY's business thingy is looking increasingly illegal, now the police have beaten up unarmed students (a good alternative to gas?). I can't think of anyone in the government with any legitimacy anymore.

I guess it's not a serious question because I don't expect anyone here to have an answer, but the Hong Kong government is just looking like a big useless pile of Uncle Tom's crap.

Do folks have really good unambiguous footage of police brutality? That's going to be helpful at this point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lady Galaga posted:

hm yes a two week old article, surely nothing could've happened in-between then and now to have changed the situation.

I'm not positive Lady Galaga was posting in earnest, either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I always suspected Kenny G was some sort of NSA superspook. Look at that man, he's a stone cold killer.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 22, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Unless it doesn't live in spit.

It lives in spit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

One of the big magnificent distinctions that Americans always struggle with in understanding Chinese or Russian government systems is the degree of transparency in terms of legal structure- the idea that you couldn't at least theoretically be able to just look up or call and ask and find out how something is at least supposed to work is pretty alien to us. This is a two-way street, though- I can still remember those infamously incompetent Russian spies from a couple years back whose mission was literally to find out things about the US government you can look up in a library or on a state government website- or that, at a minimum, the Russians could have gotten completely aboveboard by hiring a lawyer to do some legal research.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

drilldo squirt posted:

That's not opening for me for some reason, what's there?

Opensecrets is one of the better nonprofit journalism groups that, among other things, tries to identify sources of money in political campaigns and in politics in general- basically, what Vladimir Putin said, which, coincidentally, is probably what MIGF was referring to. I'm learning that MIGF's jokes are really oblique at times.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zoe posted:

Hi thread I had a quick question for any of you actually living in Hong Kong: how upset are people about that goony-looking psycho murdering those prostitutes?

Any idea how much leeway is an insanity plea likely to buy him, is it as overused a defense in China as it is here?

I know here people would probably just flip to another channel without batting an eye but as far as I've heard violent crimes are a lot rarer over there, I'm genuinely curious how big of a deal is (or isn't) being made of something like this.

(Also, do they understand that even though he worked at Bank of America, it's actually all Britain's fault?)

Insanity almost never succeeds, at least under US law. The standard is very high, and at a minimum success translates to years of confinement to a mental health system that makes US prisons seem pleasant.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You guys are missing the main story here.

quote:

Jutting is now in jail, charged with two counts of murder. On Monday he appeared at Hong Kong’s eastern magistrates court, a bulky figure, bearded, with black plastic glasses and dressed in a casual black T-shirt. His next court appearance will be on Monday.

Which chinagoons suddenly stopped posting around the same time?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What do we mean by "failure", in the context of America, exactly? I'm not aware of any particular processes in the US that would create a situation parallel to the one being envisioned for China or Russia here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

You guys have gone on for a page talking about fail without addressing what any of you mean by it.

There's been a fair amount of specific discussion of the multiple ways the Chinese economy is nearing a point of collapse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zo's rapsheet has 4 unambiguous counts of trolling, and a bunch of other charges that are trolling-related. I think he can safely be ignored.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It would be difficult for it to be much more obvious that BurningDaeth is trolling.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm a bit confused- Admiralty is cleared and I understand other forms of protest are being used there, but what about the other locations?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jeoh posted:

universal suffering, universal suffrage, what's the difference

Ring or rage? Which do the people prefer?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Democracy Protestors return to Hong Kong Streets

Can anyone fill me in on what's really going on?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

So I've been reading about the ongoing reaction to the AIIB's apparent success in luring American allies to sign on as founders. I expected that I would see lots of people arguing that it signifies a massive shift in political and economic power towards China and whatnot (which I can't say I agree with) but what I did not expect was the abject thrill that some people seem to find in the whole thing. I'm not just talking about your Xinhuas or even your SCMP's either. A bunch of western publications have op-ed pieces where people argue that its an irrevocable sign of American decline, that a new world order is at hand, that's it's great and it's about time that China took its place, etc. I never thought that I would see a diplomatic win by an authoritarian kleptocracy so widely celebrated in diplomatic and foreign affairs journals. What is it about China specifically that prompts this?

Ignorance.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

How are u posted:

I mean cheating is pretty rampant and prevalent throughout US universities so its not like we have some sort of moral high ground there, its just that you have to actually put some effort into your cheating so its not painfully obvious.

It's not all that prevalent- it's mostly that it's heavily discussed when it happens on any scale. It's certainly a norm violation in some/most of the US in a way that apparently isn't the case in some parts of China.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It occurs to me that there's a good Gangsta Paradise rewrite available here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Imperialist Dog posted:

Any truth to the story that the HKU Chancellor will implement a mandatory mainland exchange programme for all students in 2022?

Yes. source.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Exchange program with Chinese characteristics?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

whatever7 posted:

Don't worry Hong Kongers, your children will be using unified education textbooks in 32 years.

I'm pretty sure the full system overhaul is planned for five years.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's not that implausible- China has, by all accounts, fairly poor institutional ethics controls, even on a global scale. There's a reason the US is still getting their best scientists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think there are a number of worse places, but they have a) less money, b) less power, c) smaller population and d) smaller footprint, making institutional and social ethics norms challenges in China harder to address.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You're describing car sales in the US- magnificent. Do you have a source we can use?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

If the government is willing to just dump money into this coal fire maybe buying isn't as dumb as it sounds as long as you get out before it pops for good.

Breaking news: RMB now pegged to Bitcoin.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am looking forward to it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Whaddayou asking me for?!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The US should also build a tiny island in the South China Sea, but not declare it as US territory. Instead they should actively deny that it has any sovereign value and establishes international legal precedent.

Alternately, a formally recognized US-backed Sealandia in the South China Sea. We could open a McDonald's there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jeoh posted:

you can take our booksellers but you will never take our fish balls

New thread title? The current one's rather outdated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

China Megathread - Fish making GBS threads and Streetballs- no, wait

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It appears that the Chinese system is unique among the three in that it can and will disappear people completely, without any stated reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The US hadn't ratified the relevant statute- I'm not clear on whether China has. That would make a significant difference. The US is much better than pretty much the rest of the world at selectively excluding itself from international agreements.

vvvvvv
It's more than that- the US usually has a much better legal case to disregard international legal findings than other countries. The US is much, much better at international law than Russia or China, both of which prefer propaganda for domestic consumption over anything like legal argumentation.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 12, 2016