Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

whatever7 posted:

I read that book. He didn't "rape" women. More like a womenizer. (I believe in that book.)

Yeah, it was more like he always made sure he had lots of starry-eyed young women from cadres who he could easily seduce with charisma + star power. IIRC he'd rotate them out regularly.

Regarding the book, I always hear people claim that it's most fabricated, but I've never seen a good takedown that actually cites sources. Just drivebys that claim that Li Zhisui is a liar. The contents of the book are eye-opening, but not totally implausible, given how weird and isolated all-powerful leaders are known to get.

Regarding him not bathing/washing his teeth with green tea, I could believe it. I work with lots of the ex-homeless population, and you would not believe how hard it is to get some of these people to take showers, after they've spent years/decades not doing so regularly. Mao was a peasant who became a hard-marching, live-off-the-land military leader. It's not implausible that he wouldn't care to take showers regularly even after the need for that lifestyle ended.

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

LimburgLimbo posted:

The thing thing about China threads is that they're as much about the posters who live there as they are about China. There's a certain subset of people who choose to live in Asia as expats, and then of those people there's a certain subset who in turn decide to live in China, and boy are some of them interesting specimens.

It's like if never-never land was filled with cheap liquor instead of pirates. That's gonna be someone's thing.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Darkest Auer posted:

"I may not have any legal rights, I don't get taken seriously at work, I'm treated like a curiosity or a zoo animal on the streets, but look at all the SOFT POWER I have!"

The power to get yelled at by taxi drivers! The power to pay more for street food! The power...to be groped by strange men in the streets.

Use it wisely.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

symphoniccacophony posted:

I agree to some extent with what you are saying, but others I would challenge. For one thing I didn't say Japan is Confucian. My actual theory is that the concept of rigid hierarchy originated from Confucianism, which is a big factor why its popular among rulers, as it teaches there's virtue in knowing one's place in the hierarchy and fosters a social norm that discourage subordinates from challenging the boss.

Like a lot of philosophy or religion which spread to other cultures, it changes itself to better suit the local culture and custom, sometimes it get swallowed up and is no longer recognizable, but some of the basic principals I think originally is Confucian. Confucianism with Japanese characteristic, if you will.

We can keep go on but there's already a Japanese thread. I think we will just derail the thread if we keep at it.

I want to highlight this as being especially super-wrong. Legalism predated Confucianism, and the Hittites had strict hierarchies, complete with flowcharts!