Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolash posted:

First off great opening post, really informative and interesting to read, a lot of resources there.

I have a question for anyone more familiar with Chinese culture that I've been meaning to get answered - what role does comedy play in Chinese society? Comedy is a big part of life and culture for basically all humankind, but the form it takes and the roles it plays can tell you a lot about a society. A certain irony, sarcasm, and cynicism as we get in the West speaks in part to our democratic sensibilities. We don't take ourselves too seriously, and over-seriousness or caring too much about an issue is often disparaged as lacking a sense of humour.

I've had a lot of contact with Chinese nationals at school and Chinese immigrants in the cities I've lived in, but it's generally been hard to connect. Comedy, especially, seems like the biggest barrier, even moreso than with the Japanese or Koreans I've met. Any insights here?

I have no idea what point you are making, that Chinese are not funny? I have no idea.

Have you heard of Stephen Chow? He is basically like Jim Carrey but more talented. Try From Beijing with Love.

Comedy doesn't translate well across culture is not a new thing, comedy make too many reference to the current events and people of its own culture. Only physical comedy translation well to the international market. Just take a look at "SNL movies", they don't sell oversea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zero alpha posted:

Largely state capitalist with an increasing number of 'free market' experiments known as Special Economic Zones. Hong Kong (which is a different story due to its history and British management) is probably the most laissez-faire place in history.

Communism was abandoned in 1979, and any remnant of Communist support is, ironically, frowned upon by the Communist Party. Bo Xilai tried to resurrect some Maoist nostalgia and was sacked, and the fact that he was also too charismatic and too good at weeding out corruption didn't help either.

There is a absurdly small possibility that the Communist Party are still actual communists, but just feel that China has not gone through the necessary (according to Marx) stages of development/industrialisation as of yet, and will go full communist again in 30 years. But there's a 0.00001% chance of that happening.

So, what do you guys think about Chinese interests (oil/mineral) around the Philippines, and South China Sea? Apparently ROK and Vietnam don't feel very well about it at all, and have been sending military advisers between themselves.

Bo didn't weed out corruption, it was more like a mobster taking over a region and getting rip of the old small timer gangsters. I have been hearing ridiculous amount of corruption wealth the Bo family has amassed. Something over 1 billion USD...probably has funneled oversea...

Bo would not lost his job so soon and so publicly if Wang didn't gave up some major dirt on him. Wang walked into the US consulate because it was only way to save his live. He was able to have an "accident" very soon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

french lies posted:

More rumors! No coup, but the likelihood of very strong tensions within the party is high. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming weeks.

Wow, the Chinese government does not want people talking about Bo Xilai. Netizens are now resorting to noodle brands and children's shows characters as code words to discuss the Bo Xilai ouster.

This is my favorite of the part of following it on the Chinese forums.

Take Wen Jiabao for example, he was at first referred to as "When" (sound like Wen), "Best Actor" (because he has been seen crying for the earthquake and other disasters).

But those are becoming too obvious to the censorship. So the new nicknames are "baobao" (for this first name), and then "Teletubbie" (because Teletubbies are called "Antenna Babies" in Chinese.) Now it is just "Antenna".

He is the one I am rooting for, he has been publicly stating a few time there need to be political reform in order to sustain the grow of China.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 23, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wang probably has actual dirt of the killing of Heywood, otherwise the Poliburo wouldn't used heywood case *publicly* to nail Bo.

Also on the news article it referred to his wife as "Bo Gu Xiang-Lai" instead of "Gu Xiang-Lai". Mainland China never attach husband's last name to the wife's name. This could hint that Gu has changed her nationality and this is her official name on her new passport.

This news is taken directly from xinhua website.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 10, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The "casual walk" in Chongqing has the banners of "We want to eat!" and "Give back our Wang Seng district".

It's probably a totally unrelated protect held at a very unfortunately timed moment.

There are too many fake news, I can't tell if it's true.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 11, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok I am going to try to translate this news item. Personally I believe it. These are all old news and the names checked out. I am actually more upset by these old news than the more currents rumors. It shows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

1587613_1334166679

quote:

Xinhua reported yesterday, former Chongqing chief Bo Xilai has violated various laws and is being invested. His wife Bo-Gu Kailai and family staff Zhang Xiaojun were invloved in the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood. And they are being investigated.

Ten or so years ago, former Hong Kong newspaper Wen Hui Po Northwest regional reporter Jiang Weiping often used pseudo name wrote articles on Hong Kong "Frontline" magazine and revealed the corruption of the Communist Party. He touched Bo family's issues. In 2000, Jiang was arrested by Dalian police, and was convinted for the crime of "revealation of national secrets" the next year. He was released from prison in 2006 and migrated to Canada as refugee in 2009.

Voice of America reported, Jiang gave an interview last night and stated, he was "not surprised by the fallout of the Bo family at all." He pointed out, ever since the Bos moved to Dalian and now in Chongqing, "there are two concurrent issues, one is the issue of corruption; the other is the issue of disregard of the rule of laws."

He said, when Bo Xilai came to Dalian, Gu Kailai opened her law firm and used it as a front to collect bribes. When Bo was at the peak of his power in Dalian, Gu Kailai's law firm had hands on almost all of Dalian's major city projects. "Her law firm's profit was over 10 million RMB every year."

Jiang stated, The Bos' intelligent crimes were "major scams". Gu has moved alot of wealth oversea since 1998. She sent her kid to study oversea too. "he [Bo] believes, even though he is corrupted, the central committee won't do anything to him. This is a systematic problem; He is dirty, but so are others, so he doesn't care."

Jiang stated, Bo and Gu "these two people have no concept of rule of laws, killing a man is like killing an ant to them, Chinese or foreigner doesn't matter they are no human to them."

He pointed out, they are completely disregard other people's lives. When Heywood's existence threatened Bo's political career, "he must have lost it." Jiang believed the Heywood case fits Bo and Gu's train of thought very well.

Jiang also show another example. Around 1998, Dalian television had a beautiful host, Zhang weijie. It was rumored that she had an affair with Bo. Many people knew about it.

He said Gu at the time "forced Bo to make this woman disappear overnight". And Zhang later disappeared. He had never heard of this woman ever again.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 13, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typo posted:

If you are in a first or second tier city or talking to one of its residents (which most westerner interaction with China is going to be) then Social unrest is very limited as is political participation. Because life for them is very good (pretty much on par with western standards for many) and some of them either believe the line that China's political process is needed for China (the Suzhi thing) or because they don't really think anything can be changed anyway.

Of course, protests and such occurs mostly in the rural areas, people there -might- be less political apathetic simply because they are getting screwed more by the local government on a daily basis.

That's not a fair statement. First and 2nd tier cities residents faces much higher real estate pressure.

The real estate cost has raised as much as 50% in the last 5 years.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

New Sinica is out. This one's about the environmental movement and environmental journalism in China.

Did you guys know that 10% of rice tested in China contains cadmium? Because that's, uh, that's pretty bad. In fact it actually makes me think staying here and living for a few more years might not be the greatest idea. I mean, the food has cadmium in it. At the very least, if you are in China I guess this means you should keep your iron and other mineral intake up. Apparently low levels of iron makes the body absorb more cadmium from food.

So... that's something to tell women? Gently? Man I don't even know. I had (Chinese) students in the U.S. who if I asked about issues that interested them in China they would just go off on an hour-long rant about food safety, but I never really understood the impact of the problem until I was here eating the same food they were talking about on the news.

Can you buy Thai rice where you live?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Looking forward to seeing if they think they can keep this quiet or go on the offensive to try to paint him as a running dog of western imperialists. Unfortunately, it could very well be the latter, as he has apparently received some kind of foreign funding:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/07/AR2006070701510_2.html?sid=ST2010090903263

The fact that 99% of Chinese people will probably never have heard of him until the People's Daily and Global Times come out blustering about the US harboring a CONVICTED CRIMINAL who received funding from HOSTILE FOREIGN FORCES will probably let the propaganda apparatus smear him fairly effectively with a lot of people.

At least the Chinese Netizens know about him. It's disgusting that they are treating his family like that. Disgusting. I hope his family are treated well.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Modus Operandi posted:

I guess I just don't believe in hunting down the children or the children's children of despotic bureaucrats and making them pay with punitive measures or blood like it's ancient Rome. Collective responsibility is nonsense. Good luck with that because so many people in the world have benefited greatly from their ancestor's misdeeds.

I haven't seen a shred of evidence Bo Guoguo is a good student. I don't see the point of derailing the thread.

Fangz posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. The Chinese government doesn't want a martyr at a sensitive time like this, and so far the guy has done everything right in terms of blaming the local authority and appealing to Wen Jiabao to take control. And thus far official statements have been very quiet. I imagine there's some careful discussions right now as to how to handle this. A Wukan style deal may well come.
Someone made the comment that this is an example of lower field officers poo poo the bed at handling (borderline) dissidents and the national leaders have to wipe the rear end for them. I agree with this option.

quote:

I don't read the Bo incident as an embarrassment. Rather it has been a managed set of events that have enabled Beijing to remove a potential threat while retaining - even gaining public and international backing.

I agree. It was set in motion some time last year (remember Bo Guoguo was dating Chen Yun's granddaughter and they splitted last year.

The original plan was to use Wang Lijun to get Bo. A lot of Wang's men in Liaoling were investigated. They were going to nail Wang very soon. The goal was to make Wang talk as Bo's hitman and bring Bo down.

The surprise was that 1) Bo was so stupid he refused to protect Wang, someone who kenw too much (and tried to "send" Wang to a mental hospital) 2) Bo and Wang start go at each other before the 18th Communist Congress. 3) Wang talked into American Embassy, which was a genius move. In retrospect, it was the only way to make sure him and his family's safety. 4) And the last surprise was that Bo family actually killed someone and Wang obtained the evidence. (Reportedly it was a piece of the body of that 007 dude.)

So the parts about embassy and Heywood really gave the anti-Bo fractions more bullet to shoot but it also force the power straggle to come to the surface. Originally they probably wanted to use some "economic issues" to make Bo "retire" early. But now Bo could go the jail. His wife is definitely going to jail.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 29, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I haven't heard anything about him getting money from foreign bodies.

The point of going to the embassy is that being able to have a dialogue with Beijing, with people who can actual call shots. If he stay in Shandong, he will get stuck in that horrible situation forever.

Not seeking asylum IMO is the right decision. He need to stay in China for the sake of his family's safety. And IMO he is no longer in danger of getting thrown to jail. He have generated enough fame that the Chinese government will want to resolve this quietly with moderate compromise from all sides.

Also Beijing want him to get the gently caress out of China. Most dissident as far as Beijing concerned, will lost his voice once he is safely live in a western country.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hitension posted:

I'm pretty sure PPL is a 五毛党 himself at this point :stare:

I do wonder why Chen fled to the US Embassy. If I was just trying to get out of China, I'd go for the Swedish Embassy, those guys seem much more sympathetic.

Well he doesn't want to leave China. He shouldn't have to leave China. He has no done anything wrong and illegal.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

french lies posted:

Me neither, but I do know a lot of famous dissidents like Yu Jie and LXB have had similar stories attached to them. If you look at those two, you can actually see a strong pro-US undercurrent running through their writings, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the US turned out to have been giving them money. CGC I don't know well enough to comment on, though chances are if he's being heard from in mainstream US media outlets, US money has been involved in some fashion.

Oh and btw, if you guys are wondering where PPL got those numbers and factoids from, they all seem to be from an unsourced forum post. Nothing I personally would trot out as evidence anywhere, but maybe the fifty cents operate with different standards.

Obviously an one sided article written not by a regular person.

By the way, 50 cent party is real. I mean they are actually government paid jobs, not lovely contractor jobs farmed out to part timers. Some times a local government is dumb enough to post job description and "group photos" online.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mitztronic posted:

Can you explain this or provide some sort of citation/credibility? I've seen this idea a few times and never understood it.

I see alot of people with this view in the Chinese forum I hang out in. Basically Americans didn't stand up for injustice.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After Philippine police's complete failure in rescuing the Hong Kong tourists, why would any Chinese tourist want to go to Philippine? Don't flatter yourself.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The point about the 70 years thing is that non of the residential buildings has hit 70 year limit yet. Owning property goes against the communist doctrine thats why it was deliberately phased it that way. The party clearly doesn't want to make a decision on tge matter until the oldest buildings hit the 70 year limit.

I remember when Guangzhou started allowing sales of apartments it was in mid 80s. My uncle used the money he earned as a chef in the US and brought a 3 bedroom apartment in Tianhe, which was in far east side of the city. You could still see tons of farm land at the time. Now Tianhe has become the new city center and the value of the apartment has multiple 20-30? times.

OTHO, when my parents brought an apartment in early 90s it was in the far west side of the city and the property value hadn't gone up much before they gotten rip of it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GuestBob posted:

All of this has been really interesting and I have a firmer understanding of what's going on, but I still have no idea how anyone could think that buying a new flat in a development on the outskirts of a T2 city would make money. The sheer volume of oversupply is staggering - especially when there are so few people renting and so many people living in extended family units. It's not like there is an influx of middle class people from the countryside either.

Take the train into any T2 city anywhere in China at night and you will pass through acres of finished highrise flats, each with a dozen lights on. Trying to figure out why this is making money for someone is like a loving Zen puzzle.

The "otherness" of this property market clearly has my middle class sensibilities all a flutter! What aspect of this situation am I not seeing [correctly]?

Buying property has been the only sure fire way to make money in the last decade in China. If you brought an apartment in the early 00s, its value has at least doubled by now. If your had the good sense to buy a second apartment, you pretty much can retire at least 10 years earlier.

OTOH if you invest your money in the Chinese stock market, you probably has lost most of the money when the market crashed before the 08 Olympic. Again, most of the other forms of the investment has yielded worse return, specially if you don't have "guanxi" and insider info. And in China its all about insider info.

There are two more factors. One being Chinese traditionally are very fixated on owning a house, this applies to all oversea Chinese too.

The second thing is after 2008 financial crysis. Wen Jiabao pull 5000 billion RMB out of his rear end to rejuvenile market,(and I assume to keep the RMB low to keep the export business competitive.) Alot of this money has flew to the real estate market. I am pretty sure about this 5000 billion figure however I am unable to find an English source. You can still find Chinese articles for it.

Think about it, thats a lot of money. The real estate price is not going down.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

french lies posted:

I think it's four trillion actually, if you search for "Wen Jiabao's four trillion RMB stimulus plan" (温家宝四万亿元刺激经济计划) or any permutations of those you get plenty of results in both English and Chinese.

LOL I guess I didn't know what goes after "billion" (I usually just automatically use the word godzillion.)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

Serves me right for trying to visually count the zeros. My math is okay but for some reason I have trouble counting physical objects by sight. Playing dice games is difficult. :(

You just need to remember 1 million = 100 wan, 1 billion = 10 yi.

I just realized there is no Chinese word for 10000 yi, you just call it 1 wanyi.

VVVV My brain thought "10000 yi" and my hand typed 1000.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

menino posted:

Korea's birthrate is that of a much wealthier country. China is skewed of course b/c of the one child policy thing.

I think it's definitely an East/West thing. Way too expensive to educate kids because of the stupid Gaokao/suneung testing that determines your entire loving life at age 17.

I think its a metropolitan thing. Whenever you have a large modern city you get tons of unmarried working professionals. Personally I see way more bachelors/bachelorettes in their 30s and 40s from Hong Kong than other greater Chinese regions.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

menino posted:

No one is "far worse off" than South Korea, and the few that are (Japan, Germany) are among the wealthiest states in the world. South Korea is a rather sizeable country (50 million) and wealthy, but still in many repsects a newly industrialized state. There may be other factors aside from its militarized ultra-Confucian culture, but that certainly stands out. I suppose if I had to pick one, "militarized" is probably more influential than "ultra-Confucian", but admittedly it's hard to dissect which contributes to which.

Just going off my own anecdotal evidence, Beijing strikes me as a much more female-friendly culture than Seoul. I'd say it's less East/West than Corporatist East (Japan/Korea) vs. West.

Actually if you put it that way, you add more evidentce that it's a Confucius thing. Korea has had more authentic Confucius education than China for extended period of time even after they changed the written language from Chinese to Hangul.

Maybe somebody can argue the phenomenon of increasingly unmarried singles in the east and west are caused by different social issues?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kopijeger posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I don't understand why the Chinese would have a particularly negative view of Russians given their present relationship. Are they still bitter about the withdrawal of aid and the border skirmishes in the 1960s? Or is it that they set a poor example by allowing their Communist regime to crumble? The two countries have had joint military exercises in recent years, not to mention that China depends on Russia for petroleum, raw materials and at least some military technology, so it doesn't seem like their official relationship can be that bad.

Stalin never trusted the Chinese "redneck communist". He gave more aid to the KMD than the Chinese Communist party. Even after Japanese surrender (which is the most critical moment between the CCP/KMD civil war) Stalin continued to cooperate with KMD in Manchuria instead of CCP.

Communist China never had good relationship with Soviet, except the brief period in the 50s when China got all the technology aids from the Russians. After that it was northern border low level territory conflict in the 60s; and then another proxy war thru Vietnam. Most recently there was a Chinese fisher boat getting shelled near a Russian harbor.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 5, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wouldn't want to give "one child policy" credit to Mao. It was seriously implemented from beginning of the 80s. The more strict 1 child policy was implemented later on. I was born in the year Mao/Zhou died. My mom could have had a 2nd child without penalty. My classmates I would say half of them have siblings.

However the "One Child Office" was definitely not loving around later on. They will literally bulldozer your house if you are a farmer and you send your wife away in the middle of nowhere to secretly have a 2nd child. At the time there was no other way to penalize a farmer if every one is poor.
(Nowadays they have changed to much more sensible policy of fine you base on your income.)

I have a high school classmate, whose kid brother was maybe 5-7 year younger. His family was definitely penalized. His father lost his government job and his whole 3-generation family had to cramp in a tiny apartment (may have been a room). He is doing very well "inside the system" now btw. In the 80s the only way to get an apartment is wait for your 单位 (state owned company, I never knew how to translate this word) assign an apartment to you base on seniority. And yeah his family was hosed.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 6, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm arguing with some people who are claiming that there is *not* or *unlikely* to be a 'reformist' faction within the CCP; this seems on the face of it a preposterous proposition that contradicts basic PoliSci 101, any thoughts as to how I should respond? I think Susan Shirk's book mentions or alludes to it but I haven't been able to look through it yet.

On a semi related note one person had said he hoped one day soon "the chinese people will have had enough" regarding dissidents, which I felt was naive thinking considering how disastrous popular uprisings had been for China in the past (Taiping anyone?). Would my reasoning be somewhat accurate in my supposition that a solid majority probably are fine with the government so long as it stays good on its promise to bring them jobs/economic growth and that the 'police excesses' are highly unlikely to; individually nor accumulatively going to result spontaneously in another 1911? And that the things that *may* result in it are Tom Clancyesque levels of contrived stupidity that the central gov't would never do/let happen in real life**?

**Large portions of the decision making process in Bear and the Dragon come to mind. :gonk:

Hu Yaobang was a reformist. Wu "Teletubbie" sound like a reformist. How can he claim there is no reformist if you can't prove Wu is not a reformist (who is not given enough power).

People like that I would just troll him with the "ramnant red guard" or "little red guard" name calling and call it a day. He doesn't sound like he is willing to make conversation.

There was a giant global nationalist independence movement in early 20th century. You can't compare it to current political climate. If you want to compare current China to an older period, the middle Qing dynasty is a proper point you can compare it to.

Please don't mention silly Tom Clancy novels.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 13, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

french lies posted:

That's an interesting point of comparison. What do you mean by middle Qing here? Qianlong? First Opium War?

I would compare KangXi to Deng era and Qianlong to the current ear. Kangxi set the tone for the Qing Dynasty. He was also militarily more active, which was comparable to Deng. Unfortunately Kangxi made the policy to "close the door" to the outside world, which was exactly the opposite of what Deng did.

Current decade the Chinese society is clearly more prosperous, yet with more internal conflict. There aren't enough voice call for reform since the upper elites are enjoying the fruit of economic progress after China became the new "world factory". Qing Dynasty last for 260 years. The "Communist" Dynasty may last alot shorter due to technology speeding things up. OTOH, you can argue there isn't any obvious iceberg coming up in the next 30 years to sink the giant ship of Chinese Technocracy. The 3rd world poor countries in fact has gotten worse compare to 20 years ago.

The next generation leader Xi Jinping was picked by the conservative 3rd generation leaders (Jiang). So he could very well gently caress things up much sooner and bring the country to the declining phrase of the dynasty.

I hang out in a main land photography forum all the time. When people referred to the Beijing government, they usually use the term "土共" (Redneck Communist). But that term easily brought in the censor police. So it was changed to "天朝" (Heavenly Dynasty) sarcastically. But that word was also too sensitive. So people start called it "Late Qing" or just "TC".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Curved posted:

Don't want to interrupt you guys, but does anyone here have a smartphone in China? I'm able to access facebook and twitter through their mobile clients on my Nokia right now. It's really throwing me off.

Some carriers block more the others. China Unicom let me connect to google service, China Mobile blocked google market/reader/etc. This is 3 months ago. Also sim card of the same carrier from different province have different settings.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Alright, getting ready to put some more effort into the Tibet post and flesh it out a bit. Anyone have questions that have been bothering them about Tibet for a while? Let me know and I'll try to address it, or run it past colleagues who can give a good answer.

Is it true that the Tibetan population decrease after the Lama Buddhism became dominate (due to too many young monks)?

Is there any Tibetan related casual novel/movie that's actually entertaining? I will take an audiobook.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 17, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks I will check out The Cup. I have seen Kundun.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know about Chinese language being more gender specific. Chinese is a pretty fuzzy language.

The word "Her" was a very late addition to Chinese language. Before the spoken language became standard form of writing language. "之" was a unisex word used to refer to third person. Then in early 20th century newspapers started using the characters "他" and "伊" as he/him and she/her. Later "她" replaced "伊" as the standard female third person objectivce. At the time there was even a female second term character "妳", it was phrased out (to match international convention?)

In other news, here is a set of amazing colored photography taken in 1983.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwdemery/collections/72157613342016241/

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 22, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A few months ago, the subject of one child policy came up.

There is a thread where the Chinese posters collect all the posters are banners One Child Policy Office painted in the countryside. Some of them are pretty amusing. I will translate one funny ones.

http://forum.xitek.com/thread-242330-1-1-1.html
(the thread runs upside down so page 1 has all the newest posts.)

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 12, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

“Pay attention to baby girl is pay attention to the future."

"Using ultrasound to find out to the gender of the fecus and selective abortion are strictly forbidden."

"Having a boy or a girl is the same"
"Collect Dogs"

"You are one-child family, let me apply pension insurance for you." (I don't know what it is.)

"Party members and officers lead the way, one child policy is not hard."

Stablize nation's planned birth policy something something...

"Taking birth control ring inspection for other people is strictly forbidden."

There is only one earth, must control population growth!

"Giving birth without a birth license, one 1000 yuan fine. Going away to dodge birth control, 500-3000 yuan fine."
(Given the amount this is probably very old, I believe you need marriage license to apply for birth license.)

"It's time for your medicine!" (It could be a graffiti, but I can't tell.)

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 13, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^^The guy was taking a piss.

Nevermind16 posted:

Great Photos Whatever 7

Were these Photos taken in a specific Place or province or were they from all over?

How big is Birth tourism?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-17838280

No. They were taken all over. Xitek is a photography site. Basically government pushed messages have changed so much in the last 3-4 decades. The older the banners, the funnier they are.

We are not talking about the crazy banners in the 60s. They have been all painted over. You have to go to boutique hip places (like Beijing 798) to find them.

It used to be pretty big. There was no down side if you can afford it. Plus some city fine your second child born base on your income. Sometimes you can save money. But HK has put a stop to it.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 13, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

french lies posted:

Create a national hygienic city (创建国家卫生[城]市) and build a something something homeland (建造美……家园). That last word doesn't mean family, it means home, or more commonly, your homeland.

I just came back from a vacation to China including a long trip to Beijing, and I noticed that since I was there last the municipal govt has started putting up posters exalting the "Beijing Spirit", which apparently consists of patriotism, innovation, inclusiveness and virtue. What's that all about?

Posturing. Sending message to the other party fractions. The fight for Xi Jingpin's successor (6th gen) has just begun.

BTW the Bo/Gu thing is not over. They use kidnap threat to explain Gu's motive. But the little brat went to Harvard a couple years before Heywood was killed. So that was obviously an attempt to cover something more sinister, that would make the government look bad.

Also Gu stated on the 1-day show trail that Heywood was going to get ten of millions of kickback on a huge project that didn't go through. So the guy who tried to organize the project (forgot his name) probably gave up a lot of dirt.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These morons are destroying Japanese cars in anti Japan rallies again. Sigh. I thought only people in backward inland cities do it. No, even kids in ShenZhen.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just to clarify, I (speaking as a China born American Citizen) called the Chinese protesters morons because they destroyed Japanese branded cars that's made in China, paid for by Chinese and Chinese insurance companies. They should have pointed the anger at the Chinese government who didn't allow any mainland fishing ship to go to the Diaoyu Island.

These youth are so easily manipulated. A lot of them don't realize this is a semi official, government sanctioned protest as far as protest go just like most of past anti Japan rallies. You will never be able to organize an anti-anything else rally in China.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also the recent Nikon Gallery/comfort women exhibit bullshit. I have decided to stop buying Nikon equipment personally for a few years. As a photography hobbyist, it's very hard to do but I figure that's the only thing I can do to make a difference.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Forget about the Ferraris. I am more worry about Xi Jingping suddenly cancelled appointment with Hillary, and the Singapore, Russian officials.

Li keqiang met Hilary instead. Populist vs Princelings for real?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I prefer to believe he was sent out take control of the diaoyu Island but he has been finished by Neil heywood's brother, James Bond.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is no news because negotiation for the spots of the new standing Poliburo is still under going. It doesn't mean people are being fed lies. Once the member list of the new standing committee is finalized, you will hear it through the unofficial channels.

When the Bo case had a decision, you hear it first from the unofficial report much sooner than the show trails. And we won't hear what's the punishment of Bo Xilai until after the 18th congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

What does this have to do with Xi disappearing- do you think he's working on that 24/7, while other members of the Standing Committee are still making their scheduled appearances?

Working on what? There is no news of Xi. You can't accuse Xinhua for feeding you fake news when there is no news. Admittedly Xinhua has report plenty of fake news. But I am trying to explain to you the message is subtlety sent through what is not reporting the order of the CCP leaders appear on CCTV.

I am sure the next Sinica podcast will touch on it, since they are all inside baseball foreign correspondents.