Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
On a real, real basic level, what are the arguments against the PRC and ROC just giving up on their claims on one another?

I imagine from the PRC's side it boils down to this:

-It would set a precedent and would likely inspire other autonomous regions to try to secede
-Keeping the claim standing lets you save face and not appear weak
-It's a good kind of rallying cry to rabble-rouse all your citizens into nationalism and such

But from the ROC's side all I really get is

-They feel that they are the legitimate government and were historically so.

But no one in Taiwan actually thinks they'll someday reclaim the whole of the PRC, will they? Why wouldn't it be better to just say "nope, we're totally just Taiwan now and you know what? We're fine with that"

Similarly, wouldn't the PRC relinquishing its claim to Taiwan be something they could spin as them being magnanimous and such? Or, they could just say "gently caress off we don't need you".

I dont know, these might be really dumb questions. It just seems to me that the tension that these claims both cause aren't worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

shots shots shots posted:

No one in Taiwan realistically thinks they will get the mainland back, but the decision to keep/relinquish claims on the mainland has a lot to do with north/south Taiwan tensions and the idea of ethnic Han nationalism. Taipei is all about the mandarin and Chinese culture, but as you go south and hear more Taiwanese and affirmation of Taiwanese culture.

Hm, could you explain more? If there's tensions within the country how wouldn't it benefit them to possibly mollify them by relinquishing the claims and work on a unified Taiwanese nationalism?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Cool, thanks.

This is a Good Thread. Thanks OP

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

skysedge posted:

Riding the train back home from base I often run into the many PRC tourists visiting Taiwan....

This just blew my mind. I had no idea citizens of the PRC could travel to Taiwan. I would think the PRC wouldn't want that, no?

What exactly is the PRC's policy on tourism and travel by citizens? Do people have any limited rights? Places they can't go a la US-Cuba? Is it just prohibitively expensive for most people?