Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think it's less useful to genuflect oneself about things other people did decades ago than to grapple with how the same authoritarian forces are currently rising worldwide. What good is yet another apology from Japan if they continue down the course of re-militarization? Actions speak louder than words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Change 'opium' to 'e-cigs' and you're not far off.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
My basic beef with all of this is that we need cooperation with China on two issues that are actually critical right now (climate change and North Korea) so picking a fight over Taiwan is going to make sure that those things absolutely cannot happen, regardless of the extent to which the Taiwan issue escalates.

And I'm sure that there are lots of creative people in China thinking of ways to make their points and that saying 'well what's China gonna do huh they need us more than we need them!!' is displaying a severe lack of imagination.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hey let's all find out together! Surely there's nothing more important to focus our collective energy on right now.

Kassad, European NATO members actually care very much about the politics of the US president when that politics threatens the nuclear umbrella.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Judakel posted:

I doubt this incoming administration gives two shits about climate change. Nothing they've done so far indicates that they do.

Well, yeah. The idiocy compounds on itself.

When some climate catastrophe happens, likely within five years, it will be too late to do anything.

So I guess by that logic, sure, let's have a war with China, why not.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Strawman, meet thyself?

I didn't say anything about the Trump administration reconsidering anything. I was merely making a point about the depths of idiocy on display.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I suppose I'm rooting for the pigs now, then.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

sincx posted:

Second, China giving out Chinese citizenship to foreigners (outside of very few special cases) is less likely than Calexit.

Anybody remember Dashan? Is he still over there doing his thing?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
So Trump is truly the master of dealmaking. By staking out his pro-Taiwan position early, he's been able to wring significant concessions from China to deign to reaffirm the US's support of the One China policy.

Oh, what's that? He had to say that just for Xi to talk with him at all? He showed that he has no plan and that his bluster can be completely ignored?

I'm glad we're not marching off to war over there as well but what an idiot. Wonder how the DPP feels about him now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Thanks Mods for letting this poo poo become what D&D is about. Can't we go back to banning people for not using capitalization in here?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

You would have to be some kind of stupid to not understand the point he is trying to make.

Are you stupid?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Can we please remember this is not GBS. This thread used to be good until everybody forgot that and used it as a dumping ground for terrible posts as a sidepiece for the 'make fun of different people' thread in GBS. It would be nice to revert that change.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Surely you couldn’t have forgotten already that it’s Infrastructure Week!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Kassad posted:

Same thing with the reactions to the Blackwater guy setting up shop there. Our amoral mercenary company is selling itself to the highest bidders, how could they :qq:

OK? So... you're in favor of that?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's only thanks to their taking those items that they were spared in the Cultural Revolution, so they can keep them indefinitely as far as I'm concerned.

It's a nice museum as well and Taipei is better to visit than Beijing in any case.

As far as the will of the Taiwanese people goes, at least they live in a democracy where minority rights and indigenous issues are at least somewhat a thing as opposed to the mainland where their culture is boiled down to dancing for tourists in funny costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
There were people living on that island long, long before any of that other stuff. They aren't Chinese either.