Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

True, most NYC has ever gotten is 8, as far as I notice. Rained 43 inches in Texas once. My favorite line is the last in the article, though.

Seriously, just hunt around for news stories of 18 inches of rain. And this was from like just before noon till 3am. So like 16 hours of rain and the stuff near the end was a lot lighter. You'll find pictures and stories about flooding and death all around the world from less rain over a longer time.

Better drainage probably would have been a good thing, but even then, it's an issue of where the hell all that water is being drained to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

menino posted:

From what I remember reading about the Chinatown Tong/Triad (On Leong versus Hip Sing) heroin wars in Chicago in the 90s, the Triads here were big Taiwan backers, which leads me to believe they got a lot of support from the US Feds. I used to live in Chinatown in Chicago, so I loved this stuff.

Here's an article about a Tong Boss who was convicted of bribing a ton of dirty Chicago pols in the 80s and 90s.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-02-13/news/9402130225_1_gambling-conspiracy-gambling-operation-chicago-police-officers

I can't find any info about their support for Taiwan and the KMT, maybe I was mistaken but I'll keep looking.

They were totally in bed with each other from the very beginning. Something to do with the fact that they were completely shut down in the mainland.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/13/unlivable_cities?page=full

Interesting and very long article on China's cities.
How true is it?

Bitter failed expat whines and bitches about China for not being his paradise. Idolizes hipster trash as what a city is all about.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Throatwarbler posted:

Well to be fair Beijing is kind of a shithole and probably the worst city amongst the capitals of a major country.

Not really if you know anything about the place. Sure, it's huge and massive, but it's easy (and cheap) to get around in, tons of stuff to do, loads of parks, etc. etc.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

:frogsiren:Xi Jinping is missing:frogsiren:

This needs to be up there in big lights. According to the NYT all of Xi's meetings have been cancelled on short notice in the last 10 days or so, which is strange because some of them are very high profile. Xi has not been seen in public since September 1st and no explanation has been offered for his absences. Naturally the rumor mill is running riot, but there is still no official word on what is happening.

In an enormous irony, searches for Xi Jinping and posts about his whereabouts are being censored aggressively. How can they censor searches for the freakin' president-elect?

Back injury when swimming and boxun doesn't count as actual news. Here's a tip, if the NED is throwing cash at something, it's pretty much bullshit.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Read it on my NY Times app over breakfast yesterday, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's not real news.

Originated on Boxun, immediately snapped up by other NED mouthpieces, echoed over to the MSM, then quickly replaced with something else on Boxun. For a site that relies on making up bullshit rumors, when they magically catch and spread like that (especially the retarded ones), it rarely happens on it's own.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arakan posted:

This is only getting started, what do we have like 2 months until the government changes over? The government needs to make sure everyone briefly forgets about any real issues and channels their hate towards something other than their own government so the changes go smoothly. The predictability of it all would be funny if it wasn't so sad that people actually fall for this poo poo.

Ah yes, obviously the government was behind it all, no one has their own views on the subject at all. No one *actually* hates Japan. What you are seeing is a managed letting off of steam. Don't let them protest and it'll explode beyond control. Manage the protest and it stays within reason.

Vladimir Putin posted:

So what happened to him? Did he get kidnapped and then return? No explanation as to why he missed all those meetings and disappeared from public view.

Oddly enough, there is absolutely zero reason to give any more explanation than has already been given. Anything they say will immediately be spun as lies and interpreted to mean it was far worse. As such, the best play is to not dignify the idiotic rumors with a response at all.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 15, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Vladimir Putin posted:

He missed his meeting with Clinton and a PM from Denmark and disappeared for god knows how long. You don't think the people deserve an explanation?

Back injury was reported way back on the 4th by US officials. And no, I don't think the people deserve instant access to vitals, especially when all it lead to is MORE speculation, which is what happens every damned time.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

McDowell posted:

But the fact that this is "managed" dissent means that in a way the government is behind it.

As opposed to "trust no one" US dissent, a different management strategy :tinfoil:

Well, if they try and stop it, then the anger is directed more at the cops and it just goes to hell fast. Cops hanging back and letting it happen have more of an ability to step in and go "ok, that's enough, you had your fun". No beatings, no tear gas, no rubber bullets as long as certain lines remain uncrossed.

Standing in the way of a mob like that... haha, good luck. You'll either lose badly and end up looking like stooges for the target, or you'll fight back and win and become WORSE than the target in the eyes of protestors. Annnnd, of course it's an excuse to get some smashy smashy out of your system for whatever reason as long as you say "gently caress japan".

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

ReindeerF posted:

I lived through a similar period in America in the 1990s and it was stupid then, too. I mean there were maybe some valid points about international trade and dumping, but mostly it was a bunch of American-made cars with Japanese badges getting destroyed by redneck auto-workers. It didn't get this widespread, though, in property damage terms. There were a lot more staged "come beat up a Japanese car with a sledgehammer!" public events than out of control riots.

Fun fact: There's a whole little growing side industry now to mod the badges over to domestic brands :)

Daduzi posted:

None that didn't come direct from CCTV at least. Are you denying that the state-run media has had a major hand in whipping up this hysteria?

That's pretty laughable. Might as well say that ourgae from 911 in the US was all government propaganda. It's kinda sorta a big deal here especially because it's Japan. And the real risk diplomatically is that people will start to realize that only reason all these island disputes are happening now is because of US fuckery (which is 100% true).

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 16, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby
Well, this is getting interesting now.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Ha! If they manage to land a bunch of people then there will finally be something worth blockading on the islands.

Seriously though poo poo is all hosed up and bullshit. China! :saddowns:

I see they are taking a note from the US's big book of invasion. Let normal citizens run off and do their poo poo without official backing. Then claim they have no power to prevent it. When attacked, welp, we gotta defend our citizens. Good stuff.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Munin posted:

The big book of invasions every time every where. You had the same "defend our citizens" stuff from Russia when they invaded Georgia and Britain at various times etc.

The only question is will they pull the
"well, we can't control them, but tell ya what. just to make this equal, we're willing to buy the land from you for a token amount so you can save some face" trick, or will it just be a race to the island with flag planting.

I guess, the other question is will it be an attempt to occupy the place, or will it just be a short time in your face flag planting and tearing down of the japanese flags. Followed by a retreat. And then it goes back to status quo with that face saving stunt.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Fangz posted:

BTW, this is how the Your Favourite CCP MouthpiecePeople's Daily is reporting it:

My impression seems to be that there's some confusion here - the 1000 ships figure is a projected cumulative number over an entire year, not a singular event to happen immediately.

Yea, but can you guess where they are all gonna head to? :china:

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Fangz posted:

Yes, both of these are via the same original source and supposedly originating from Chinese state news... except that no one's linking to a direct report from Chinese state news, which as I quoted, is *not* reporting on this.

http://news.163.com/photoview/00AN0001/27512.html#p=8BJDJJ7600AN0001

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Agrajag posted:

I think most of the animosity attributed towards Japan, in China, can be attributed to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

I think when you look at all that is going on with this being part of their relatively recent history it is quite understandable. Perhaps the islands, are for the chinese, an extension of the onresolved issues stemming from WW2. Japan afterall never did and never will admit to any wrongdoing from what I understand, atleast. Apparently most if not all the officials involved with these facilities were granted immunity.

Not just that, but they refuse to even acknowledge that it was a real thing. And when stuff came out from the soviet side, it was all dismissed as "propaganda".

poo poo like this is what cuts to the heart of the whole "apology" poo poo. Japan basically refuses to give specific meaningful apologies. While at the same time denying some of the most horrific crimes ever happened.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why don't they just apologize and acknowledge it. What kind of loving amendments do you want?

Really, the bullshit apologies are akin to:
Germany apologizes for the suffering and hardship of the Jewish people and is full of remorse for actions during the war.

Then comes out and says:
Gas chambers? ffff, what gas chambers, that's all propaganda. Concentration camps? you're just making poo poo up now. Compensation? hahahaha, get lost. Followed up with a national shrine to hitler and the SS that politicians go hang out at. What do you mean apologize? We already totally did that.

If you want to see the actual sentiment of the Japanese to what happened, go check out all the lawsuits by survivors that got thrown out. They refuse to own up to any of it or even pretend to. 731 facility in Japan is being excavated, China requests DNA samples for human remains uncovered. Japan says gently caress off. That pretty much sums it up.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Longanimitas posted:

Even if the Japanese government were to apologize again the PRC still would not let go of this extremely useful political football. It is used frequently to distract the Chinese people from their real, government-created problems.

Yea, there's that claim that's made. However it's not really all that easy to prove, seeing as they never bothered.

Also:

http://weibo.com/1813482925/yCqNo66lB#1348007403238

Chinese billionaire Chen Guangbiao is apparently offering to replace all the smashed cars.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Longanimitas posted:

It is not correct to say that Japan has never apologized. It is acceptable to dispute the sincerity of these apologies, however. Wikipedia has a decent summary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

EDIT: My personal perspective is that China has no business demanding an apology until they apologize for the invasion of Vietnam in 1979.

Iunno, usually in an apology you:
1) Acknowledge what you did wrong
2) Apologize for doing it
3) Say with words and show with actions that you are not gonna do it again and your apologetic words actually had meaning.

Japan's got war records, make a laundry list of all the horrible poo poo they did that was not "normal war" stuff. Apologize specifically for it. Offer to make ammends to the surviving victims (instead of pretending they don't exist), ban the right wingers in the same fashion that nazis are banned in germany. And war criminals don't get shrines.

The Vietnam invasion in 1979 - it was short, it was targetted, there were not crazy war crimes and it was more or less strictly military-related.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Longanimitas posted:

It was meant to distract the people at a time of political vulnerability and resulted in many thousands of meaningless deaths. It was completely inexcusable. My point still stands. Hell, Mao caused more suffering for the Chinese people than the Japanese did. It's silly to stand on this apology platform because every country has things they should apologize for but fail to do so.

Not every country does amazingly horrible poo poo that made even the nazis cringe.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Longanimitas posted:

Yeah, but China directly supported Pol Pot, who was objectively worse than Hitler in every way. You don't really have outs here, the Chinese Communist Party is in no position to be demanding apologies from anybody.

US supported Pol Pot directly as well.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

When we were needed, we were there. It is true we served under the man that later became Mao's enemy, but when we were there, we fought for China and China's freedom, not that man.

Do they tell the story of the Flying Tigers in Chinese schools?

quote:

A Flying Tigers Memorial is located in the village of Zhijiang, Hunan Province, China and is the only museum in the world dedicated exclusively to the Flying Tigers. The building is a steel and marble structure, with wide sweeping steps leading up to a platform with columns holding up the memorial's sweeping roof; on its back wall, etched in black marble, are the names of all members of the AVG, 75th Fighter Squadron, and 14th Air Force who died in China. In 2005, the city of Kunming held a ceremony memorializing the history of the Flying Tigers in China. The Memorial Cemetery to Anti-Japanese Aviator Martyrs in Nanjing, China features a wall listing the names of Flying Tiger pilots and other pilots who defended China in World War II, and has several unmarked graves for such American pilots

I was actually on that flight in 2005 when they flew into Beijing. It was kind of a big deal.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Starks posted:

The Cairo Document explicitly says that the Japanese only had to give back the islands acquired since 1914 - the quote in your post states that they were ceded to Japan in 1895, well before then. It was really easy to find this which makes me kind of raise my eyebrows at whoever wrote up that article.

"and that all the territories Japan has stolen from the Chinese, such as Manchuria, Formosa, and The Pescadores, shall be resotred to the Republic of China."

Whoops, seeing as it was ruled in 1931 that the islands were under Taiwan Prefecture administration and they were territories that Japan stole from China, that kinda blows that out of the water dunnit?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Grand Fromage posted:

As a complete anecdote, I used to teach Chinese students at my university and several wrote papers about the Rape of Nanking. Every single one of them had a ridiculous number for the victims--my favorite was the one that said Japan killed five billion Chinese people in WW2. I assumed she just didn't know what billion meant but the most I was able to talk her down to was two hundred million. The lowest number I was able to ever get anyone down to for the massacre itself was two million people.

I assume they must be getting that from school but I don't know. Korea exaggerates Japanese crimes against them, I wouldn't be surprised if China does too. I think it cheapens them--Japan did legitimately do massive amounts of awful poo poo and killed millions of people, there's no reason to lie about it to try to make it look worse. All it does is make the victims look dishonest.

I have a better theory - lazy students.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Suntory BOSS posted:

I'm not asking how much the Japanese resembled Nazis. I'm not asking how much I suck at basic mathematics. I'm asking how somebody who supports the Chinese claim justifies the fact that China didn't have poo poo to say about the islands until ~1968.

Did China complain about the USAF conducting bombing runs on an integral part of Chinese territory? If not, how does the Chinese side justify their silence?

Well it was all kinda sorta in a vague iffy status until the reversion was being planned. At which point China bitched rather loudly about it.

Between 1972 and 1978 it was actually a rather large sticking point that was preventing a peace treaty and as such, it was set aside by both sides until a future point in time.

Fine-able Offense posted:

You are correct that the islands are "Chinese", insofar as they belong to Taiwan. Which is not part of the PRC, and hasn't been for the better part of seventy years.

Hope that helps clear things up for you! :)

Both Roc and PRC are in agreement that it's part of the Taiwan entity, however there's this tiny little sticking point wherein Taiwan is part of China and Taiwan is not really a country.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

MothraAttack posted:

what is the probable future of Xinjiang? Perpetual Han dominance and neutralization of any Uighur political parity?

If it's possible to take a guess, probably not all that bad. If his politics are anything like daddy's, Xi is a damned good leader.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

DarkCrawler posted:

This whole thing might seriously be the most bizarre international situation in the world.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that this tops it.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

GuestBob posted:

Bingo.

How effective it would be is another matter, but it makes overt Chinese at-sea military action in that area (remotely) possible. Without a working carrier the PLAN are just making hissy noises. For any kind of in-shore operation you need to have your CAP on.

You can use carriers for fleet scale ASW ops too of course, but I am not sure how pressing that need is.

Starting out with a nice cheap baby's-first-carrier isn't a bad thing at all. Takes time to get up to speed on the whole carrier op thing. China's not just gonna rush into it, taking it all slow and steady. Another pair of carriers are being laid down as well in Shanghai which should be good to go this decade.

Now as to *why* China needs a carrier. India's got one, Japan essentially has one (even if they claim it's not), Italy, Spain, UK, US, Russia, Brazil, Thailand all have carriers. No one raised questions when they got them or built them. Why is China playing the carrier game? Force projection mainly as a deterrent. The same people who laugh at China for having a "brown water navy" are the ones who are screaming that China has no need for a carrier. Love the double standard. Rush into it with a lovely plan, crash some planes and have problems.... laugh at China. Take it slow and steady? Laugh at China for not immediately having multiple CGBs fully loaded with gen 5 planes. Really?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Suntory BOSS posted:

One can only imagine what will transpire when the PLAN eventually oversteps and scares Japan into full-on militarization.

Japan going full on militarization is, honestly, a thing that will sink Japan. They simply do not have the resources for it, nor the economy to support such a venture to be honest. It's also one of those things that signals to the rest of asia "Hey look, China was right all along! Japs don't ever change!" Which results in a massive buildup all over. Meanwhile, China has a trump card to play. If Japan ever acts up, I can guarantee, 100%, China will just nuke it into a parking lot, drat the consequences, rather than deal with the crap it went through before.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

MrNemo posted:

I'd love to say that it's all just posturing and front and that none of the nations involved are actually stupid enough to start a shooting war over any of this poo poo but phrases involving "End of war in Europe" pop up. Frankly I think it would take more than Japan simply being more open about its militarisation to result in China nuking it from orbit. As long as the US is fully committed and maintains naval bases in the area I think it would require much more in terms of Japanese agression to risk any sort of nuclear war.

I could see China openly firing on Japanese vessels in enforcing claimed territorial rights around a flashpoint like the Diaoyu islands but very much restricting the action to, "defence of our own territorial waters" to try and avoid anyone thinking invasion of Japan or similar was the next step. The Chinese definitely want to assert themselves and want to carve a sphere of influence in Asia generally but I don't think they would be willing to risk nuclear war to do it. Nor do I think they seriously give a gently caress about the Japanese navy, as much of a pain as it could be Japan isn't going to be invading China again any time soon. It isn't an existential threat, it's a political boogeyman and I think the part hierarchy aren't about to confuse that distinction.

Anything involving China and Japan will be postured in a way to include Taiwan in on the action. I can almost 100% guarantee it. Creating a fun little situation where the US is forced to break a treaty to favor a side, or to sit back and do nothing.

War ain't gonna start over some loving islands. But Japan going militarized, any action in Asia will be closely watched. An actual military action for any reason by Japan... in any way threatening China. Yea, I can see China just going "gently caress it, nuke it". Out here, in the countryside. I can pretty much state for a fact, when talking politics, everyone even remotely aware of the situation knows the US is behind the saber rattling, and if Japan dared to even attempt anything even close to the crap they pulled before, it would be nuking time. If that means sanctions, so be it. If that means retaliation, so be it. There's basically zero trust for Japan, and a lot of people just see it as "a matter of time till Japan shows its true colors again".

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I got a "yearning for ol' left" years from people interviewed in that NPR article, or at the very least a movement toward the left again (economic). I'm not sure why, I mean China has been doing very well.

I was ironically talking to one of my Chinese friends here about the politics in China. She was actually talking about their upcoming "elections".

There are actually elections in China at the lower levels though.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Careful with the "they" here, nobody with any access to nuclear weapons has made any comments like that. That's very different from your head of state acting crazy on purpose. When Xi Jinping or someone on the senior PLA committee says something about nuclear weapons I'll get worried. That won't happen though. China has a lot of nationalist idiots and if you want to worry every time one of them says something phenomenally stupid and provocative you'll be worrying a lot.

Speaking as someone who lies stupidly close to the 2nd Artillery Corps headquarters and officer residence complex, I'd say that the people who actually have control over China's red button are far more interested in staying alive in their villas and driving around in their A8Ls than they are saying anything about nuclear hypotheticals. Then again.. they do have instant access from within the compound to the tunnel complex.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Ardennes posted:

Politicians by their nature pay far more attention to their own survival than that of the country, a shooting war doesn't help them very much there. They know the greatest threat to the gravy-train is the Chinese public getting so incensed that their security forces can't knock them back down and a humiliating defeat to the Japanese over a rock might push the public over the edge.

The Chinese government seems to have enough control over the Chinese military to keep them in-line and the public might trash a Toyota dealership but they have no real way of sparking a war. The leadership just needs to sound like the are talking real tough, until people get bored and then will wait a while a bring it up again.

The PLA has it's fingers in enough high-level business interests that actual war is not really a very lucrative venture. Much more money in peace. Of course, they have to rattle some sabers now and again to justify their existence and remain an actual potent threat. But actual war? Ffff, honestly not all that likely beyond a possible limited skirmish at the very most anymore.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

I've got lots of Hong Kong political bitching today.

Let's start with parallel traders. They're on my mind because I went to dinner in Sheung Shui on Saturday night and I have to go there again after work. First off, why are they called parallel traders? What's the parallel part? For the uninitiated, parallel traders are people who buy a whole bunch of poo poo in Hong Kong, usually baby formula or Yakult, then take it across the border on hand carts to sell in Shenzhen, avoiding import taxes and getting a healthy profit. Since Sheung Shui is right at the border with Shenzhen, it's the center of this poo poo.

As a result, the Sheung Shui MTR station is so packed with people (mostly mainlanders, but supposedly a good number of Hong Kongers have gotten into this business too) hauling huge bulky carts of poo poo that it inconveniences everyone. There are signs all over the station reminding people not to take bulky carts on escalators or hit people with them and even one big rear end sign right at the turnstile saying PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE WHAT THE gently caress PEOPLE.

Here are some articles pertaining to the tensions caused by the boom in parallel trading. Baby formula is the really hot button issue right now. Especially with Chinese New Year coming up, the traders have really stepped up their game in buying things and they have cleaned out the more popular brands of formula, making it hard for mothers who need it to get it. What is left is getting sold at premium prices and, according to some sources, only available to people who seem 'mainlandy' (i.e. Mandarin-speaking), but I can't imagine why shops would discriminate if locals are willing to pay the higher price.

An even more sinister thing is the South China Morning Post's ACTION NEWS INVESTIGATION TEAM discovered a secret warehouse where the parallel traders are stockpiling baby formula and other things. So they're not even buying them and trading them immediately, they're even hoarding it. This has pissed people off even more. The government was supposedly cracking down on this stuff, but from what I saw on Saturday, nothing has actually changed. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the Sheung Shui MTR station tonight either.

Welcome to the free market! It's not like HK doesn't just import all that stuff anyways. If anything you should be cutting out the middleman, importing directly and selling to mainlanders. 团购 that poo poo by the container.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

It's illegal on the Chinese side though, because it evades customs duties. It's smuggling.

And that fact certainly stops everyone else. Get in on that action.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

It gets inconvenient for the boob-haver.

You'd think being worried about the safety of the powdered milk and the prices and the acquisition of it would be more inconvenient somehow.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Vladimir Putin posted:

The deal with breast feeding is that it's ideal nutrition for your baby. There are additives in baby formula which mimic what's in the mother's milk, but of course they come from cows or something like that. Formula is a pretty sturdy substitute, I imagine most people that are in our generation grew up on it because it was at one time thought to be superior.

HOWEVER. Breast feeding is not easy for a host of reasons. For example, if you have twins, what the gently caress are you supposed to do, have one baby one each boob? There's just not enough milk there. Plus with all the meds and interventions that go on in delivery these days, mothers are really doped up post-delivery and often are in no shape to breast feed. The baby is often whisked away to a nursery where it undergoes a battery of tests and it has to be fed formula or it will go hungry.

So it's actually very hard to breast feed these days because of a variety of reasons, never mind the fact that it's not easy to begin with. You can learn and perfect it in 1-2 days, but what the gently caress is your baby supposed to do until then? Starve? What if you never learn to do it properly, is your baby supposed to die?

Formula has widespread use in the developed world, because we don't want the baby to die, or even worse have hidden developmental hurdles because it didn't have the right nutrition at birth.

I wonder if this will ever develop into an underground breastmilk market. Hundreds of lactating women hooked up to breast pumps in a single room, filling bottle after bottle. Desperate men taking blackmarket drugs to induce lactation and make some quick cash. Door-service "massage" girls offering additional on-demand lactation services to ensure quality and freshness. To the point where the "massage" becomes the side-dish. It's a cottage industry that can be done at home, providing some side-income.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Imperialist Dog posted:

Amusingly enough this post just landed on my Facebook wall, claiming (i think) fake milk formula has now been found in Hong Kong.

Ok, but they are putting it on the wrong places. If hongkies want China to stop buying all their baby formula, instigating a fear of it being fake is the way to go.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

Hey what's the title of this thread? Can we get back to what really matters?

In baby formula news...

The Hong Kong government set up this hotline that allows customers to order tins of powder directly from the suppliers. What's the result? An estimated $100,000 HKD in extra revenues in the first four days. The government (i.e. taxpayer) is paying for this hotline service and Mead Johnson, Friso and the gang are getting big money by cutting out the retail step. Pretty corrupt!

It's also pretty clear that there is now going to be a two tin or 1.8kg limit on baby formula being taken out of Hong Kong. Apparently a lot of the parallel traders (i.e. smugglers) think it's already in force and trading has been cut back significantly. The MTR has also instituted a very strict baggage policy, significantly lowering the weight of goods you're allowed to carry. Apparently it's so strict that it has impeded people just going to the airport or Shenzhen for vacation. I'm guessing it's ladies packing too many clothes; AM I RIGHT, MEN?

I still don't get what the big deal is about it. Profit per can is only like 10%. Again, it's just weird and strange to see people whining and complaining about people throwing money at them to buy their things.

Also, the tariff in China on the stuff is low. The major reason the prices are stupidly high in China is basically greed on a large part by the manufacturers. "make it expensive so people will think it's quality" style marketing. Seriously, the official imports pull in a margin of around 70%. It has practically nothing to do with the taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Imperialist Dog posted:

The companies love it. The residents off Hong Kong who go to the store to feed their babies and find the shelves empty are the ones complaining.

From what I was reading, the shelves are not even empty. It's that the companies are forcing them to order the full line of their poo poo instead of just what they need, and Chinese are only targeting a few select premium lines. Leaving the rest untouched.
So, no, the shelves are not empty, it's just that the specific brands they want are gone.