Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

computer parts posted:

Is there an equivalent to permanent residency in China?

Yep

hitension posted:

There are some major disadvantages to PRC citizenship though. A US citizen can travel visa-free (or visa on arrival) to 166 countries. For China it's more like 30 (and not so much the "good ones"). I know Chinese citizens studying in the USA can't even hop over the border to Canada to see Niagara falls without a visa.

Don't get me wrong, I love China. But I would not want a PRC citizenship.

That's basically it though, convenience. Once ya have a few decent visas under your belt, it's just a matter of applying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

What is this visa/program called, so that I might find more information about it? I'd only ever heard about it becoming easier to get a long L visa (whoopee!) if you were married to a Chinese national.

DaiJiaTeng posted:

外国人永久居留证

If you go to a visa office they can answer questions you have about it, or you can just 百度 and get a bunch of info.

Honestly I don't know how hard it is to actually get one. When I talked to the guy at the visa office he made it seem like it wouldn't be too difficult after fulfilling the time requirements and having a steady job and a house, but I honestly don't know for sure.

5 years of marriage, with 9+ months each year in-country and having stable housing and living conditions. Basically meaning, yes, you own an apartment and have either a very stable job or a nice pile of cash (honestly speaking, cash is best, time deposit in your name of 10w+ should do it). Then the hassle of proving you're not a criminal via a background check that is notarized by the Chinese embassy. Something showing you have stable income (either you or spouse), and be prepared for the PSB to poke around your area finding out about you. If you're not entirely sure of the current expectations, you're best off finding an attorney for a consultation to help.

Perks (apart from the obvious):
No more work permit required, if you're a freelancer, you can freelance all you want.
No more fear of deportation for doing something stupid, it becomes really really really hard to just kick you out. If you do something stupid, you're treated just the same as everyone else (yes, that means detention/prison/etc. but no deportation).
You get to cause confusion when someone asks for a passport, and you show them the card instead (which they have probably never seen before in their lives)

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

hailthefish posted:

It's all bullshit designed to feed in to the whole social media slacktivism thing anyway, even when used as envisioned. Why actually get involved in the political process or, you know, learn anything when you can just upvote random poo poo on the internet and then pat yourself on the back for 'doing something'?

Or, more realistically, when you can :goon: something funny.

Exactly, it's a mechanism to get people to shut up. If you're pissy about something it's a way to think you're doing something without actually doing anything. If something meaningful actually gets enough votes, a carefully crafted PR-friendly statement can be written up... mixed in with all the joke-petitions of course. As long as the butts stay in the seats, it doesn't become feet on the street.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

cafel posted:

Is this message a result of the formula industry pushing that narrative or something with deeper cultural roots? Is the Chinese equivalent of the Center for Disease Control doing any thing to increase and prolong breast feeding in the population? It can be pretty important to an infants long term health and development.

It's pressure from everywhere.
There's a desire for fat babies, and formula companies claim their junk is more fattening
It's really damned normal for both parents to work and granny watches over the kid, or a nanny which makes breastfeeding harder to make happen

Formula companies do kickbacks to the hospitals so the whole issue of "breastfeeding" is basically never discussed. Giving birth is honestly dirt cheap in the hospitals, so they push hard sells for just about every useless thing you can imagine. Starting from "here's a voucher for a 400g can of overpriced formula" and it's basically gonna overlap with the specific brands that are being swept off the shelves everywhere.
Everything from gold and silver birth certificates, to baby footprints immediately following birth etched in plastic, packages for 坐月子 ranging in the tens of thousands, "classes" that they try and claim are required, but nothing more than sales pitches (that you actually have to pay for). It's also why they encourage cesareans (extra cost). Basically what you see happening here is a direct impact of neolib idiocy that has infected the system, price gouging and unadulterated greed.

ryan8723 posted:

Eh I wouldn't trust any governmental organization in China, not when corruption is so rampant. We already know they massively lie about environmental issues so why wouldn't they lie here?

China has proven time and again that they only care about business and view the people as expendable.

As bad as you think the state orgs are, private companies tend to be much much worse.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

Honda-induced riots in everyone's favorite province, Henan:

Something isn't adding up.

Bitch hit a kid, thought she could fake her way out of it... didn't quite go according to plan.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

TheBalor posted:

Yeah, their reaction is a bit...odd. Riot mob tries to lynch a woman? Better give out all of her personal info, as well as the personal info of everyone she's related to.

Eh, there's no "right" move to make.
They treat it for what it is, a minor accident, fake plates, and apply the maximum penalties (not all that crazy) and every screams that the government must be covering something up. Release all the personal info of all her relatives, and obviously, the government must be lying.

So, either the government flat out executes anyone and everyone who the public has a suspicion of (CR2.0), or the government is "wrong".

She's driving a Honda Accord, looks to be something from after 2008, which brand new, fully loaded is something like 20w. Used, around 10~14ish. Nothing insane.

Oh well, look on the bright side I guess, at least she wasn't sporting some fake white plates.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

But Singapore is also an authoritarian police state. But on the other hand it's much, much less corrupt. And rule of law actually means something over there.

Singapore also doesn't live in broom closets and chicken coops :)

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

GuestBob posted:

:stare:

I am pretty sure it's just on the mainland where people do this.

Eh, not to excuse it or anything, but it's the difference between squatters and sitters. The cheapest (read: majority of) squatters in buildings are just a big hole down to a u-trap. Compared to having a basin of water requiring an active flush.

Not rare though
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=birth+toilet+-china&oq=birth+toilet+-china

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

WarpedNaba posted:

What's with the 20 years of not-protesting in the middle there? It started before the 1997 handover, so it should've still been legal to do so, right?

Any excuse to bitch about China.

edit: GFC stuff in '09 resulted in much more reliance on the mainland, and that's right around the time all the baby formula, birthing, etc. all kicked off en mass, and probably more rich Chinese staking their claims down there on bird cage island.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

WarpedNaba posted:

Is Xi seriously trying to level a (admittedly lovely) Domestic order program against a covert attack on a sovereign nation? Holy poo poo, so much for diplomacy.

It's pretty much right out in the open that any tech coming from the US is used for spying now. You know all those fears of letting anything Chinese into US systems? It's kinda like that on a global scale with the US poo poo. For sake of national security concerns, any sane countries left out there should just be banning the hell out of all those imports and services or demanding they run through domestic servers isolated from US databases.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

cafel posted:

I'm curious about this, are there any documented intrusion cases strongly linked to the US government you could point me too? I know everyone involved in these kind of things likes to keep it quit, no government or business likes to admit it's been compromised. Stuxnet proved that the United States has a robust cyber-warfare wing and isn't afraid to employ it, but for obvious reasons that kind of thing doesn't get played up much in the states. Are there any particular recent cases I should know about?

There are reasons why China developed their own OS for sensitive systems, and despite government having honestly pathetic security for public-facing servers, anything that has anything real on it is simply not accessible from the outside in any way. IP law in China is also pretty funny when it comes to software. If something is not offered with fully capability to China, or it's "landmined" to be self-crippling/disabling, it's perfectly legal to reverse engineer it, hack it, whatever to gain full capability and resell it all you want. Any traffic flowing through US servers is basically compromised, and the attacks on Apple make sense as well, given they threw their hats into the ring.

Vladimir Putin posted:

My guess is that either the US is so good at it that its rarely caught or its program exists but is nowhere near as massive as China's. Otherwise, wouldn't China counter with its own instances of US hacking (which I'm sure happen)?

Strategy. The US can come out and make claims all day long about China, and anyone else, and for whatever reason it's believed even if the "evidence" given is pathetic. Go the other way and the response will just be a mix of laughter and "serves you right". Pentagon with it's own little "wu mao" (let's call it wu jiao) can be deployed to push the "right" message out there as well. Hacking coming from the US isn't going to be coming straight from the pentagon or military, it's going to be coming from contractors, and if, perchance they are actually caught red handed, it can be denied.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah they build these investment properties and then market them as either rental units or things just guaranteed to increase in value but they're usually really far out inconvenient or for any other reason something no one would ever want. As long as they keep speculating , the prices will keep going up but it's like a game of musical chairs very, similar to the 2008 crisis. That will be fun to watch again.

Yes, but a good number of them are starting to fill up now.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

GuestBob posted:

What about Lord-of-the-Flies Henan?

Really good article on Tealeafnation about the gaokao system which also touches on the broader issue of, well:

http://www.tealeafnation.com/2013/06/problems-of-place-do-quotas-in-chinas-college-admissions-system-reinforce-existing-inequalities/

It's getting towards that time of year (results).

In reality how different it is from charging non-residents a shitload more money to attend a college of their choosing? And pretty much everywhere has an "in-state quota". The answer to this isn't reforming the quota system, but vastly improving the status of other provincial colleges. This also requires the "shift to the west" focus on development and economy, creating better jobs in cities other than Beijing/Shanghai.

For the migrant worker scenario, I could envision a fix to it. The problem is if they open up BJ/SH gaokao to all, it just creates a push to flock to the city for any job possible to ensure being able to sit the desired gaokao. Here's tha fix for it.. if the student has attended middle/high school in Beijing, a house is owned by the family, then go ahead and allow it with a "temporary" BJ hukou good for gaokao. If they test into a local uni, then extend that hukou status like everyone else.

The whole point of hukou is that it's linked to an address. If it's a "collective" hukou, then it's basically temporary. Right now, it's REALLY loving hard to get a BJ hukou. College is the loophole. It's still kinda "gently caress the poor" to be honest, but Beijing is already loving huge. As it is right now, ideally, if you study your rear end off in a home province, yes, you can get that golden ticket. If you don't at first go round, you still study your rear end off and go for a masters in BJ. I know a shitload of people that went that route.

Here's the other alternative: Massively expand all major schools to accommodate the demand and in the process, dilute the value and screw up all the other schools.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Well for one it doesn't create a crazy rush to get into one city, and for two states very often have student-sharing agreements to spread out the burden even more and for three it is an increase in cost not a barrier to admission. If you really want to get that resident discount at the University of Wisconsin Madison or whatever you could move to Bumfuck, Southern Illinois and pay the same rate. Or with a less extreme example you could live in western Mass and still pay the resident rate at MIT. The explicit urban/rural nature of the Hukou practically forces insane demand for migration to major cities that ironically it was supposed to prevent.

I think the main point is that the hukou system is broken and this causes a ton of second-order problems. [redacted]

Of course elevating new colleges to the status of Qinghua and Beida is the best option but that strikes me as difficult in the concentration of wealth around the government that typifies corrupt bureaucracy.

Lol, check this out. The desire for the hukou is really all it comes down to.
If you have a Beijing hukou, you can directly enter high school, then do the gaokao and.
If you have a non-resident hukou, you're supposed to go back to your registered place to do it, which yes, lowers your shot at the top Beijing schools. But, it's all about the hukou transfer desire in the end. If you don't got the cash, you do what everyone normal does... send the kid off to high school back home.

Go to a decent private high school in Beijing, or pay your way into a good public one. You can't sit the normal gaokao, but as long as you're 18, you can sit the "adult gaokao". It's basically just a GED equivalent. Take it in Beijing and score over 400 and you're basically into a good school without issue. The DIFFERENCE is that your hukou doesn't get moved, and in the end your diploma's gonna have "成人" on it, it's also not going to be considered "full time". But in reality, that poo poo don't matter. Not as glamorous as a regular undergrad, but you're done with it in 3 years instead of 4, and can go straight to masters (which does move your hukou). It's not gonna be pretty or prestigious, but it's a route to take.

So, if I was going to suggest a reform, I'd go with something along these lines:
Take your gaokao either back in your hometown, or take it in your current city as long as your immediate (parents) are working there and have established residency and you completed middle and high school in said city.
If you take it in the current city, you take the same test as everyone else, but your hukou isn't going to be moving as a result.
If you take it back home and get in, you can move the damned hukou.
Local quotas can be kept, but qualifying scores end up raised within that local quota.
At the same time, obviously, other schools need to be improved.

Doing away entirely with the restrictions would only further swamp an already over-capacity system that has been in panic mode for the last 15-odd years trying to keep up.

Ardennes posted:

Also, it isn't that difficult to establish residency in a state, your previous residency doesn't haunt you for the rest of your life.

True. However the situation's a bit different. When the big shifts from rural->city happened in, say, the US. It wasn't some 1 billion people all heading for the same key cities. And at the time, there wasn't much in the way of expectations. If it's not controlled, it's gonna get even more insane, and this is just one of the tampers on it. I completely agree that there are reforms that need to be made, as current policy is a bit out-dated in respect to current reality. But it's gotta be well thought out and done right.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 19, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Lawman 0 posted:

:stare: Thats not in response to what the fed was saying today right?

Combination of things going on. It's mainly targeting a lot of the shadow banking going on by soaking up liquidity that needs soaking up. Combined with the government blowing the whistle on false reporting of local GDP, it's kind of a signal saying "loving cut it out".

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

ocrumsprug posted:

Is this the event that turns those empty cities into the economic disaster they probably already should have been? Or just a minor disaster that causes a few banks to go under?

The big state banks will be protected, it's the smaller ones that have been dodgy that will probably be allowed to die (and then absorbed).

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Shifty Pony posted:

Could you trust the at risk institutions to provide accurate books and every last one of the auditors to not take bribes? An artificial stress test might be completely useless.

Oh, it *would* be absolutely useless. That's why ya gotta do an unannounced liquidity removal and see who starts hurting the most.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

I recently bought my wife a globe. It's been entertaining.

Do yourself a favor and never let her start watching "White Queen", you'll be giving history lessons every five minutes.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah this is like literally the class I just taught.

"The middle name you gave us was wrong."

"... we never gave you a middle name."

"Well there was no passport number."

"... pretty sure we gave you a passport number."

Now the scenarios diverge: first let's present In China:

"I'm sorry, there is no passport number so now there is no way to complete this operation. Very sorry, please have your papers in order next time."

"...okay." :seethes with impotent rage:

Now In America:

"I'm sorry there is no passport number-"

"There absolutely was a passport number. What are you guys, idiots? Do you think we're idiots?!"

:shocked stare:

"How could you think we wouldn't notice this?! What is wrong with you?!"

"No, there was no passport number..."

"This is a photocopy of the letter with passport number."

:deer in the headlights:

Sorry D&D Megathread but I am currently teaching a culture class about how to (or rather how not to) lie in America. Chinese people often confuse and anger Americans with transparent and, from the American perspective, idiotic and insulting lies. In Chinese culture even the most transparent lies are ignored as a matter of good taste (depending on the unspoken seniority relationships of the people present) and people who point out the lies are often treated as if they, rather than the liar, are the problem. When Chinese people bring this attitude about lies to the States they are frequently reamed out in public by the first person they try it on and adopt a deer-in-the-headlights look familiar to anyone who knows Chinese emigrants to the U.S.

The people familiar with Chinese culture are amused because the Hong Kong Ministry of Justice has just exhibited the implausible dismissive Chinese lie to a tee and they're going to get away with it. "mei you" indeed.

We're terribly sorry this has caused you inconvenience, however the request you filed did not match our records. Knowing what serious charges you allege and grave repercussions they may result in, we merely took precaution as to protect the freedoms and human rights of any innocent person or persons within our borders. We requested further clarification, however you did not respond prior to his departure. We had no legal basis to detain him at the time as no valid warrant had been filed, as such, in the future for urgent matters, please ensure your requests are both complete and timely. NEXT.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Y-Hat posted:

gently caress.

This can't end well.

"wealth management" products ain't credit card debts. They tend to be a part of the whole shadow banking game though.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Dr. Tough posted:

If it's anything like leftism on American college campuses then it's absolutely nothing to worry/care about.

It's almost as if they have been hearing those stories from multiple generations about how hard life is for young people now. Seriously, hear this every damned time I'm with the inlaws. Free housing, guaranteed jobs, cheap everything, far less corruption, better access to medical care, effecively free travel, and no worries about retirement. The growing gap between rich and poor only serves to fuel those thoughts.

Known it for a long long time... if there is ever some large political shift in China, it ain't gonna be "hey everyone, let's have popularity contests like the US does, because that's going great", it'll more likely than not be a reversion... but with a far better standard of living.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Where would they live?

That sounds like a problem for the glorious free market to solve!

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Ofaloaf posted:

The BBC recently posted an article concerning someone named Meimei Guo, the Red Cross and allegations of corruption which apparently may have been fabricated. Do any of you folks know what this is about? From the BBC article alone I'm rather confused about the affair, and don't understand whose plot this was targeting who and why.

A group of bullshitters opened a bunch of weibo accounts and discovered that it was really easy to make up bullshit that idiots like the so-called "public intellectuals" would gladly tout. Then they discovered that they could use this system to make money via fun poo poo like extortion and generally gently caress around with stuff. Now they are caught and they were tied into quite a few rumors (that they just flat out made up), which were fairly devastating to some organizations. It's a case of libel basically.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

caberham posted:

But street making GBS threads is still a thing :china:

Next time I have an excuse to go to HK, imma take a big dump right in the middle of a subway car.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

AtomikKrab posted:

That's mass transit making GBS threads, They do that in New York, nothing uncivilized or lesser world about it, you will just be assumed to be a crazy street person.

Gonna wear a nice suit and everything, and then stick a little british flag in it.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

While walking around Chinatown I was somewhat surprised to see grown men pull their kids pants down, hoist them over the curb, and just let them go. Only happened twice. Was kinda weird. These kids probably should have still been in pull ups.

Diaperless potty training is faster, cheaper and less wasteful than diapers.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

TheBuilder posted:

Please don't make excuses for the destruction of public places.

Poop doesn't destroy anything. Helps the grass grow :)

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

GuestBob posted:

No, he's stating it would have a positive outcome. That's what makes it sociopathic.
Well, it was made in 1957, before China had nukes. And during a time that the US was almost begging for an excuse to use them. I believe it's a decent counter that essentially says "go ahead and do it, we'll still win".

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Fojar38 posted:

How does he know that the world would suddenly become socialist and not revert to feudalism? Unless he's making a claim that only Westerners are "imperialists?"

I can only assume because after the world seeing that horror with no winners, any survivors would immediately lynch all the fuckers who got the world to that point and for quite some time afterwards, any ideaology that might lead down the same apocalyptic road would be taboo as all hell.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

caberham posted:

Government ministers can eat a bag of dicks.

They could, but they won't be... no, that bag of dicks is all for you. :)

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think as the US economy picks up, a lot of investment leaves developing markets. Whereas before the Fed was pushing a lot of liquidity and the US economy was bad, a lot of that free money wound up invested in China and India.

Well, close, but not really. There is no "pick up" happening, it's just printing money and handing it over to idiots to play with. The HKD is pegged to the USD. As the USD weakens, the peg's gotta be defended, which means printing more money to buy USD and a weaker HKD. For an economy that relies on imported everything, this means more inflation. China's got a marginal peg, but nothing like what hong kong does.

Any economy that pegs tightly to the USD, when it is being economically suicidal, experiences exported inflation. Seeing as iunno, like over half of all HK trade is done with mainland, it would probably make more sense to peg to the RMB.

Anywho, the quick out for the HKD is to acquire either more USD through trade surplus, or to acquire more forex from a country with a surplus of USD that wants to get rid of it. Effectively, this means opening up more to China.

So that bag of dicks caberham was talking about....

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arakan posted:

Well from what I read it looks like 30-40% down payment on a first mortgage, and they upped it to 60% this year on second mortgages. So not great, but it seems they are trying to head in the right direction. I didn't really see any concrete figures on how many people take out mortgages, somewhere between 50-70% it looks like.

Then there's this (page 3 section 5)

http://www.pbc.gov.cn/image_public/...81%EF%BC%89.pdf

Which pretty much says that the only thing putting controls on lending in major cities did was shift lending to rural areas in greater quantities. I wonder why they don't just implement lending controls everywhere, instead of only implementing reactionary controls when a problem arises in certain cities? It seems like a really easy problem to fix since unlike in America, where people get beside themselves when there is government intervention in the market, the Chinese government can just do whatever.

And China is still only at like 15% of America's value of outstanding mortgages before the crash, so while there is a housing bubble there's no mortgage bubble yet...unless they keep being stupid I guess.

The housing "bubble" only really is impacting a handful of cities (where strangely enough half the country wants to live in).

To understand housing, you have to understand hukou.
A hukou is basically a registered official address and changing that hukou ain't easy.... unless, of course, you do it during or immediately after college by working for a state company. Even then, what you end up with is 集体 hukou instead of 个人. The problem with a 集体 hukou is that most are not going to let you have a kid added to it for anything other than temporary basis. To transfer it to 个人 status, you have to have your own property, your own address. This moves the books from the collective address and into your own possession. Failing to do so can basically result in you having to revert your hukou back to where it started to ensure your kid(s) have a valid hukou. The stupid crazy prices tend to center around locations with good schools. The reason? Being able to modify the hukou address, gaining access to the best schools, or at the very least having first go at them during admissions.

Housing is also pretty damned useful for a number of reasons. First off, there's the housing fund. It comes out of the paycheck pre-tax and is matched by the employer. Buying a property is the easiest way to access those funds. Also, it's stability. If you lose your job and are unable to pay, there are legal hoops to jump through, but as long as you can demonstrate that it's your ONLY property and you are living it in yourself, it cannot be seized and auctioned off.

The villas and whatnot have crazy prices mostly due to the neighbors and the fact that you now have some land as well. You cannot just simply buy land and build a house. Land is sold off in large chunks and must be developed to certain requirements, failure to do so loses the land rights.

China has a home ownership rate of something stupid like 90% and the majority of it is owner outright. HELOC really isn't much of a thing... it's doable to a certain degree, but the interest rates on it are horrible. Everyone rushes to the highly-priced cities due to the notion of easy money, few it seems, take into account the living expenses. So they either live like poo poo to save everything they can, or they save nothing and cry about housing being "too expensive". Whole lot of other cities that have lower paying jobs and much more affordable housing.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

No, because they're dollars.

The obvious answer is to dump a shitload of it into a bunch of us companies that are operating in China and further diversification globally in hard assets.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the main reason is that China is a currency manipulator specifically trying to keep the dollar up versus the yuan. If they went and dumped 2 trillion dollars on the currency exchanges their manufacturing sector might take a hit. And they can't afford that at all right now; the export sector is already in crisis.

As far as I am aware, hanging onto USD reserves is also a part if bilateral trade and the fact that the USD is used as an intermediary for FOREX transactions. Due to the volume it makes more sense to hang onto them rather than keep a stash of forex which is just going to sit there gathering dust until it can be used. It's kinda stupid to play the "currency manipulator" card, mainly because even it is, China is not alone in that game, Japan recently did it without much fanfare, and the US has long been going after a "cheap dollar" strategy, which in turn has been exporting a shitload of inflation around the world. A lot of the international development projects, loans and financing is also conducted in USD, frequently using the t bills as the underlying asset. Effectively creating a scenario wherein if everything goes sideways, they are not on the hook directly and they are not the ones left holding the bag. There's a shift away from that though, with the currency trade deals, and that's only going to be be increasing with global RMB settlement increasing rather rapidly and posed to become a top 3. It's currently at #9 above the kiwi dollar and the krona, and direct convertibility means saving 2~3% on exchange fees.

In the end, USD is only good for people who want USD, and outside of a handful of dollarized nations, the only thing a USD is good for is buying poo poo from the US, or from partners willing to accept USD for their own dealings with the US. Other than that, it's effectively just worthless paper promises. For all intents and purposes, it might as well be credit card reward points and the big ticket items that China might be interested in obtaining, are more often than not, either off limits, or inflated to a degree that it makes more sense to develop it domestically.

China could go and dump USD tomorrow, but the issue that would arise is a decreased supply for exchange, a higher spread, increased transaction costs, and an artificially more expensive USD as a result of poor liquidity. The more China is able to increase settlement in RMB, the more it can shed the USD reserves, either in trade deals or buying up poo poo it wants.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Wanamingo posted:

Looks like there might be a touch of smog in a few parts of China right now.

What's the whole public perception on the even and od number driving system they use for this stuff? I can't imagine anybody actually thinks it's even remotely effective, but I'm interested to know exactly how much people care about it versus all the other stuff the government does that effects them.

Oh it's just loving hilarious, because the cars have about jack poo poo to do with it. And their "plan" makes about as much sense as the whole "yellow means red" notion of how traffic lights work. Here's how it will go down. Someone will push their precious little baby through the works to see it become reality. The first time everything's a giant mess because classes are cancelled, but work is not, or a factory shuts down on the "prediction" of pollution that doesn't come and workers start getting pissy about pay. And in spite of all their chaos, nothing really changes... it will be kicked to the curb and the idiots who devised it will be sent down to the countryside where they belong.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

Just remove the plates then no one knows whether your number is even or odd.

Or just get a fake plate with an odd number if yours is even, or vice-versa.

Other solutions:
number sticker/magnet
CD covering the last number
slap some mud on the plates
front plate off, drive with trunk up
get a second car and help improve the parking situation

Or take advantage of the fact that this is virtually impossible to control without massive police presence every single time and the odds of getting fined are about 0%.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

computer parts posted:

Yeah there was a thing on PBS about it and it sounds like it was more due to some centralized heating system having to service 11 million people all at once.

As opposed to everyone burning the cheapest available fuel for heat on their own? Cus that's not even more retarded.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Implement higher fuel standards, offline coal plants (who cares what replaces them) demolish illegally constructed power plants, randomly test heavy industries & shut down violators, and the air pollution will clear up. Air pollution is the easiest pollution to clean up by far because all you have to do is stop spewing a constant stream of waste into the air and poof the pollution blows away and settles out. Water and soil pollution are going to be the real nightmares. I think they'll clean up the air pollution eventually because it's a bad image; but if the visible pollution is this bad, in a culture that is so obsessed with appearance, the invisible pollution is going to be a disaster of epic proportions.

Fuel standards are not all that bad. The problem is they need to flat out get a whole lot of those shitmobiles off the road permanently and actually do things like enforce regulations on the large trucks that kick up most of it. Actual emissions testing would be great. I mean like, flat out, if your car doesn't meet 国V, it should be recycled or modified. No exceptions for the major cities.

Coal plants, they have been closing them rapidly in Beijing at least. The issue comes from the geography of Beijing and the fact that changing things requires a coordinated effort across provinces surrounding as well (like let's not burn our fields after harvest, ok?). It also comes from the problem that no matter what regulations are passed, if I want to get a load of coal cylinders and burn them for whatever reason in Beijing, sure as poo poo I can get them without problem... because this is China.

Oh well, at least they recognize the problems and are trying to do something about it.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Koramei posted:

How shady exactly is the apartment flipping, and how common is it in China among westerners? My friend's dad (my friend is adopted-Chinese with white parents) paid for a semester of her tuition ...in cash... from a Chinese apartment he sold. We're a bit confused, is this like, the way it's done, or is he just being extremely weird/ illegal.

What's weird about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby
Back on topic, baby formula loving sucks regardless of the brand. Little Xiaowai (aka. the Half Blood Prince) prefers Muggle Milk. Actually got into a HUGE fight over this with his granny. Who insisted that mom's milk wasn't enough and demanded we switch to formula (so she could feed him). Then cited some random tv infomercial she decided was as good as reality saying that formula is better and he'll starve on titty milk.

Best mentality when dealing with idiot in-laws: we hold all the cards here if they ever want to spend time with their grandson. Therefore, we can get away with anything we want and inside of a year, they'll have to pretend it never happened. The End.