Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the titties in question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What do you call a bachelor in Beijing?

Han Solo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PT6A posted:

he ended up really, really hating people from the mainland.

This reaction seems to come up in a lot of different places from a lot of different people.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This was a fun fluff piece, too long to quote in here though:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/i-followed-my-stolen-iphone-across-the-world-became-a-celebr

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fojar38 posted:

I want a front row seat if there's a war between China and the US.

The US won't bother shipping any ammo, they'll just buy it from the Chinese quartermasters.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So when every system is unfair, you're testing people on how well they can cheat any given system?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Loving the Chinglish in the response.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The next election in the US could very well be Clinton vs. Bush again.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

angel opportunity posted:

The good old "use 'ain\'t' to sound more informed and confident fallacy"

That was triggering me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

angel opportunity posted:

This is how I see a war between China and the U.S. going down...it ain't gonna be pretty. I'm imagining a fictional Chinese soldier named Le Muza and his friend De Le Te, through whose eyes you will experience the conflict.

The coming war between the US and China begins with Taiwan trying to play in the Olympics under the title of Formosa[22] The power vacuum caused by the death of Xi Jin Ping also exacerbates the issue, as Li Keqiang and Zhang Dejiang are both candidates to become General Secretary, with the former supported by Taiwan (also known as the black Lion) and the latter by Singapore and Malaysia (the White Lions).[24] This erupts into a full-scale war known as the "Lion War", with either side using whatever means possible to secure their influence within the party's highest ranks. This includes bearing an illegitimate child,[25] killing other possible heirs,[26] betrayal,[27] assassination[28] and false identities.[29]

Throughout the war, the rich and connected regard commoners and peasants as animals,[30] and many commoners try to take revenge on the nobles, who abandoned them during the Gai Ge Kai Fang.[31] Most join the so-called Death Corps to fight against the nobles' soldiers, and many die in vain. All the while, the U.S. sits on the sidelines

Le Muza joins a mercenary group,[34] led by Ga Fu Ga Li An, who protects Li Keqiang's daughter from being hunted. De Le Te joins the pan Malaysian/Singapore forces to rise up through the ranks and gain control over his own destiny.[35] Le Muza and De Le Te are reunited when Ga Fu Ga Li An attempts to take Li's daugther to General Ge, though this proves futile. Ga Fu Ga Li An suggests visiting a mysterious 12-Dan Go Player named Wei, while De Le Te continues to work in the shadows, working with multiple sides to realize his ambitions.[36] Along the way to Beijing to seek out Wei, Le Muza meets Takamari, a Japanese man in possession of an old Japanese map showing the Diao Yu islands clearly having belonged to China since the Shang Dynasty. Hunted by a trading company for the power it contains.

However, soon after the encounter with General Ge, Le Muza discovers that an elaborate plot was set by the American-backed umbrella protest movement, which had morphed into a full-fledged terrorist organization that had severely crippled and interfered with the Chinese economy. In their desire to control China, the umbrellaists--now allied with the Death Corps--uses the legend of the so-called Senkaku Islands to stir up trouble,[38] and fuel the Lion War between Li and Zhang.[39] To stave off Le Muza's interference, General Ge uses the Diaoyu map to transform into a legendary demon,[40] and Le Muza has no choice but to slay him/it. As a result, Le Muza is regarded a traitor to China, and he is approached by the the U.S. soldier, Jack Ryan, to defect to the U.S., which is preparing to interfere in the Lion War conflict to secure their power within the East Asian sphere of influence.

Jack Ryan, having played both Advance Wars titles on the DS and also having read some quotes from Sun Tzu, is aware that attacking the Chinese units from side tiles will increase their damage output, and Le Muza confirms that when he slew General Ge in demon form, he had only a 33% chance to hit him from the front, but greater than a 66% chance to hit from from tiles to the side and back.

Jack Ryan and Le Muza, leading a full control group of naval units position themselves, but soon realize that China uses a hex-system rather than tiles, and they struggle to adapt. Even though the Chinese battlefield is hex-based, the Chinese units can still use multiple unit stacking, while Ryan and Le Muza's forced inexplicably cannot. Imagine one well equipped U.S. Marine landing on the coast of Shanghai, and as he waits for his next turn from disembarking to be able to move, a stack of sixty Chinese riflemen attack him one at a time until his hitpoints are totally gone. Ryan and Le Muza realize this isn't going to work--not without Japan's help at least--so they open diplomatic channels with Japan even as their spread out units die over and over to Chinese deathstacks.

Japan refuses Ryan and Le Muza's desperate plea, and a rocket flies overhead the conflict. It's going to Alpha Centauri...Japan used the time that the US and China squabbled to max out their science production.

Basically, in this day and age, anyone who goes into a full-scale conflict with hot guns is going to put themselves too far behind considering how much science can get output this late into the game. I think for this reason you ain't gonna see a full-blown war between either of these players.

:golfclap:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Vladimir Putin posted:

I wonder if grunts in the PLA would think twice about participating in a bloodbath against fellow ethnic Chinese. I mean for that level of casualties to be acceptable Taiwan would have to do something absolutely monstrous.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Did your Active Directory server go down?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

http://www.japantoday.com/category/world/view/china-slams-u-s-human-rights-record posted:

BEIJING —
China on Friday slammed the U.S. for a “terrible human rights record”, denouncing it for police brutality and global surveillance a day after Washington criticised Beijing’s own performance.
In a report sourced mainly from U.S. media, China said the U.S. was “haunted by spreading guns, frequent occurrence of violent crimes, the excessive use of force by police”.
It said that U.S. intelligence had used “indiscriminate” torture against terrorist suspects, while “violating human rights in other countries” with drone strikes and mass surveillance programs.
The document is released each year by China the day after the U.S. State Department issues its annual global human rights report. Beijing does not release rights reports on other countries.
Unlike China, the U.S. is a multiparty democracy but the report declared: “Money is a deciding factor in the U.S. politics, and the US citizens’ political rights were not properly protected.”
The Chinese Communist Party has repeatedly imprisoned those who openly challenge its right to rule or have protested publicly.
Its state-run media said in December that torture by Chinese police to extract confessions is “not rare”, in an unusual admission.
Friday’s document, released by China’s State Council, or cabinet, largely cited U.S. domestic media websites, including the New York Times, which is blocked by Beijing as part of its Internet censorship regime.
China said the U.S. justice system suffered from “serious racial bias”, highlighting police killings of several unarmed black men, which sparked protests over the past year.
The US has “grim problems of racial discrimination, and institutional discrimination against ethnic minorities continued”, it added.
Washington’s own report on Thursday said that in China “repression and coercion were routine, particularly against organisations and individuals involved in civil and political rights advocacy”.
It also noted Beijing’s continued repression of ethnic Uighurs and Tibetans.
The report criticised semi-autonomous Hong Kong.
“The most important human rights problems reported were the limited ability of citizens to participate in and change their government through the right to vote in free and fair elections,” it said of the city.
Hong Kong lawmakers last week rejected a Beijing-backed electoral reform package which was derided as “fake democracy” during mass protests in 2014, as it required candidates for the city’s next leader be vetted by a loyalist committee.
The U.S. report also highlighted limitations on press freedom and violence against the media in Hong Kong, after attacks on some leading journalists and executives.
The city’s government hit back Friday saying foreign powers “should not interfere” in its constitutional development and added “great importance” was given to freedom of speech.
Human rights are a long-standing source of tensions between China and the U.S., which imposed sanctions on Beijing after the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown on pro-democracy protesters that left hundreds, by some estimates more than 1,000, dead.
China often says that its rapid economic development in recent decades has led to a greater respect for human rights, and that other countries are not entitled to criticise its record.

I love it when they release these.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pentyne posted:

Now the excitement comes from predicting when this now policy fails and what possible alternative the PRC comes up with.

Obviously they'll just take over the exchange and start setting prices arbitrarily.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Even Xi's daughter went to Harvard, which is incredibly ironic and telling when he's leading a crusade against Western education and values.

Did his crusade begin before or after she went though?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Possibly during, she finished in 2014 according to Wikipedia. I would argue that it didn't begin in earnest until 2014 but in 2012 Document No. 9 got leaked and then officially released in 2013, setting the tempo for the current campaign.

I would say no but who knows. :shrug: It's not like it's a 5 year plan or a Mao era campaign. It's hard to separate the West is evil because of Enlightenment values from the West is evil because they don't support China's claim to most of the South Pacific. I'm sure it correlates with the economy though and is just noise to diffuse the coming financial crisis.

Maybe it's due to her becoming ever more insufferable throughout college.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is there some kind of subtext going on in China like, there's no way the Philippines would dare call us out like this if the US didn't have their back?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

McGavin posted:

That's exactly what it is. Chinese people are terrified of ghosts/death, as shown by my girlfriend who is, right now, exchanging her license plate because it has a 44 in it, despite being born and raised in Canada.

But how much of that is her being legit worried about 4s versus trying to be ostentatiously Chinese?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So what happens in China when their economy tanks? They just gonna shrug and go welp?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Why India, why not annex SE Asia?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mulva posted:

Nah, considering how many Japanese are willing to brush their atrocities under the rug and how those people aren't brutally loving shamed in Japan, I'm totally with the Chinese on this one. Japan should be constantly apologizing for their behavior in WWII, and their behavior about it today.

This is 100% correct. The people who pushed for the war's grandchildren are running the country, and they are utterly unrepentant about the war. Their only regret is losing. Just today a couple of the black nationalist vans were parked in Yasukuni to celebrate(?) Pearl Harbor. It's not like you can just drive in there, it requires someone's consent.

The Japanese people themselves despise the war, but they did during the war as well. The leaders who were responsible for it were never ousted and taken to task for what they did to the Japanese people, and that remains the case today. Just the way the country works I guess.

I do think Japan has apologized sufficiently to China and Korea, it's the Japanese people who've never received an apology, and they're the ones who most deserve one. They'll never get it though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I agree. Leaving the people who started that war in power is nothing but absurd.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm not sure what they were there for to be honest, they hadn't set stuff up yet and were just kind of milling around. Bit of a coincidence if it's not Pearl Harbor they're there for.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Vladimir Putin posted:

There's going to be people on the extremes of the political spectrum wherever you go. Neonazis were a significant problem in Germany after all they went through Post WWII. The thing you have to look at is whether the country is a problem to its neighbors or to world stability after you get through with restructuring it after a war. If you go too hard you risk a Germany post WW1. If you go too soft then all the bad elements remain and then you basically replay events.

On this issue Japan passes with flying colors. Not only is it a poster child for post war reconstruction, it's a productive member of the international community. It's not a problem child and many countries probably wish they could be just like Japan right now. I don't know what more you can ask.

This is true. For the time being it's an almost purely domestic issue.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah well, Japan would have behaved in the exact same manner if the situations were reversed, so they knew what they were getting into when they invaded. Continuing to deal with this kind of poo poo is the price they pay.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh, I wasn't saying it was ideal, just that's the reality.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/china-says-it-has-places-japanese-leaders-should-visit-to-pay-tribute-to-war-victims

quote:

China says it has places Japanese leaders should visit to pay tribute to war victims

BEIJING —
China says it too has places that Japanese political leaders should visit to pay tribute to war victims, in response to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s plan to go to Pearl Harbor for that expressed purpose later this month.

“If Japan wants to deeply reflect upon (its wartime actions) and genuinely apologize (for them)...China has many places where they can visit and ponder on the past,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a press briefing Wednesday, citing the Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre as one of them.

“Just as American people do not forget the Pearl Harbor incident, Chinese people also cannot forget…our compatriots who died in the massacre in Nanjing,” he said.

China will hold an annual ceremony next Tuesday for victims of the 1937 massacre committed by the Imperial Japanese Army in Nanjing.

Lu reminded that other Asian countries also have similar historically significant places and urged that Japanese wartime actions not be forgotten.

His remarks marked China’s first official response since Abe’s announcement on Monday that he will visit the site of the Japanese surprise deadly attack on Dec 7, 1941, that drew the United States into World War II.

Abe will become the first Japanese leader to pay tribute at the USS Arizona Memorial, dedicated to the 1,177 sailors and Marines on board the battleship who died when it was sunk by Japanese bombers.

His trip to Hawaii on Dec 26 and 27 comes after Barack Obama in May became the first serving U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, which the United States attacked with an atomic bomb on Aug 6, 1945.

Japanese government officials have said the visit by Abe, who will join the outgoing U.S. president at Pearl Harbor, is not aimed at offering apologies, but remembering the victims of the attack 75 years ago.

Lu said China and the international community are closely watching if Japan can “correctly understand” its militaristic past.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Whenever this talk always comes up, everybody seems to love to gloss over that the Japanese people had no agency during WWII, had no idea what went on until the war ended, and lived on the brink of starvation from the 1920's until they lived with real starvation in the 40's. It's not like they could do anything, let alone even vote for someone who wasn't a militarist after most left wing parties were banned after full male enfranchisement and the military started killing or silencing anyone who offered an alternative to the pseudo-fascism that grew in the 30's within Japan.

Thanks for this. This is what's currently reoccurring in Japan.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I think China should apologize to Japan for Chinese tourists. Chinese tourists are loving awful.

Hey Cabe

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd support a shooting war to see cabe in a uniform.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sincx posted:

If China was democratic, they'll elect someone far worse than Xi. Think Trump on steroids.

God, I'd never thought of that, lol.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Can you imagine this stone cold chick after a year or two actually living in China? Lol.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sometimes I really wish I'd only ever experienced Asia as a tourist. It's like all the benefits of having been there but none of the downsides of actually knowing what's going on. :allears:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sincx posted:

I think my biggest problem with Fojar's arguments is that his arguments keep trying to assign morality to geopolitical decisions, when there is none.

Most people are selfish most of the time. In the words of my favorite history teacher, countries are just big people.

Isn't morality a personal quality? So if countries are just big people what's wrong with assigning morality to geopolitical decisions?

:confused:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Amergin posted:

From what I've seen, no. China lacks innovation and creativity, but not technical expertise. Many also lack pride in a product (hence chabuduo). This is largely due to their upbringing (focusing on financial stability/profit) and education (focusing on memorization and facts). Even for those who study abroad, it's difficult to shake that foundation of upbringing and education driving not the question of "What do you want to do?" but rather "What can you do to make the most money?"

If you take Chinese technicians and give them a tool they can break it apart, rebuild it, and likely tell you where to get materials and labor to make a cheaper version. But if you give them a tool and ask "How many different ways can you use this?" they'll look at you like you're asking them a koan.

EDIT:

I'm not quite sure that's true. Right now the older generation of China still has the mindset of "Famine could be around the corner, stock up, make as much money as you can now" - a sort of trauma from China's development. The idea in China that you can have financial freedom AND do what you love is so nascent that it hasn't settled in. The relative lack of a middle class doesn't help. When you look at products in China, it's often a choice between cheap chabuduo and overpriced but may last a few years. There's no good "bang for the buck" category that people trust yet because there's not much of a market for it.

In another generation or two, assuming a Chinese middle class develops, I think you'll see that traumatized mindset fade away and people begin to ask themselves what they want to do, and parents begin to ask their kids what they want to do, rather than trying to focus on profit. People will settle for middle class and marginal improvement generation-by-generation, rather than now where they believe they pulled themselves out of squalor and therefore their kids can make another leap into becoming tycoons.

I'm probably just being naive, but I think if the market and mindset at home change in these ways then education will follow. People in China know about chabuduo and largely dislike it, they just don't know of an alternative. But then again I don't work with many younger Chinese so maybe I haven't been disappointed by them enough to lack faith in the younger generations. The few younger Chinese I've hung out with are all tattoos and rap, creativity and rebellion (although often misguided) coming out their ears.

None of what you're describing has really happened in Japan so yeah I'd say you're being naive.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

icantfindaname posted:

I think it's happened in Japan, just very slowly, because anybody over the age of 40 (half of them) grew up in a country that was closer to Mexico than the US economically, and anyone over the age of 20 grew up in a country that hadn't realized yet that model of society was actually bad

It might be happening but the pace is gonna be glacial. What happens when you order your entire country according to what the stupidest, oldest person in the room thinks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ok, a thread where angel opportunity is probated and stone cold still posts isn't one I need to be reading.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Rabelais D posted:

In the US there are also a sizeable number of individuals and organisations loudly lobbying to put an end to ICE camps and Gitmo and whatnot. You absolutely do not get that in China because such individuals would be silenced and or thrown in jail and human rights organisations are also completely neutered. Outside of Xinjiang nobody in China seems to care either because the state-run propaganda machine is so efficient.

Given that Gitmo and the ICE camps are still open despite repeated promises to close both, what value do you see in the lobbying of sizeable numbers of individuals and organizations?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fojar38 posted:

This is one of the most imperious, American exceptionalist attitudes I have ever seen on this forum. You are literally implying that the only people whose opinions matter are Americans.

It's the kind of bullshit I'd expect from mid-2000's neoconservative rhetoric, so great job being a living embodiment of horseshoe theory.

I saw his point as being that America is in a unique position to either unilaterally engage in military intervention or drive international consensus to do so. You referencing the mid-2000 time period is evidence for that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kavros posted:

The more information comes out from direct sources, the more obvious it has become that the Uyghur suppression policy very very quickly integrated mass forced sterilization in combination with forced labor populace disruption and dispersion.

The scale and reach is daunting, but the methodology is just ... modernized versions of venerable, long hypothesized genocidal concepts from eugenic schools of thought.

Sorry, but could you repost this in English?