Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Yeah especially considering that osteopaths in America still do a few semesters of bone manipulation in addition to regular medical stuff. I think the goon emphasis on herbs and remedies is just another expat focused orientalist witch hunt

I don't think anyone here considers quack doctors and bone manipulation in any better light than Chinese medicine. They're just using the same standard of rigor to look at Chinese medicine- you should be happy, it's a sign of their faith in the maturity of Chinese culture (which having 5,000 years of culture is quite full of...culture) to deal with the truth of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

systran posted:

If anyone is interested I can forward some questions to the author of the article (who is on wechat now) and post the responses back ITT

Ask him if he knows of any cab drivers who went to great effort to return 1000 RMB that was left in their cabs!

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Daduzi posted:

I once had a guy drive quite a fair bit back to return 800.

Question for the guy who wrote it: what 5,000 year old literature is he referring to when he says China has a 5,000 year literary history?

I had a cabbie in Beijing give me 2 really good peaches once for free too.
There's lots of nice people in China, especially some of the older folks.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

systran posted:

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/%E8%87%AA%E7%9B%B8%E7%9F%9B%E7%9B%BE/57326

自相矛盾

The full phrase is Zi Xiang Mao Dun and it does actually refer to that story and wasn't completely made up. It is also used commonly in regular, day-to-day Chinese. Most chengyu are referring back to something from Chinese literature, even though it's not really 5,000 years old.

It's from 韓非子, so it's only about 2200 years old or so.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

Hi guys just dropping by to remind you China sucks.

5,000 years of fictionalized Chinese history take umbrage at ye, sir.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
What if we gave Qingdao back to Germany?
Would their beer get better?
Discuss.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Farecoal posted:

every country sucks, humans suck, all is lost, hail satan

Sweden is good, and also the Isle of Man.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Where is the respect for Egypt's 5000 year old literary tradition?

China is in da Nile~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Looks too well organized to just be a "spontaneous" display of activism for democracy. Who is passing out the water? Who organized the garbage collection points and supply distribution? I was in ferguson for the protests there last month and the difference is night and day. I'm not arguing that HK shouldn't have the right to self determination but overall how organized and well greased the protests are indicate some kind of western involvement.

And behind the west...the Illuminati...and beyond the Illuminati...the Uighurs...and behind the Uighurs? Satan. And behind Satan? Bo Xilai. And behind Bo Xilai? Obama.
Yes, this stinks of western involvement.