Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
So, it seems to be limited to a specific area of Shanghai and not the entire city. It's a good sign, but an even better sign would be not starting the blocking in the first place, so eh.
As for Chinese people, I feel like Weibo/Renren have been around long enough (and China has a large enough population) that they may continue to use them even if Facebook/Twitter are available. If you're a Chinese person living in China, there's a 99% chance that everyone you wanna communicate with is also Chinese. Look at Chinese university students in the States even -- they have every reason to use Facebook but most I know stuck to Renren/Weibo unless they were very very outgoing/internationalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I also strongly suspect more people take loans to mortgage houses than are willing to admit it. With the prices of houses and the incomes of Chinese people having such a large disconnect, I think for many it would be impossible to not take a mortgage, even accounting for rich parents' savings.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

It seems pretty rare to have that long of a word translated phonetically-- it almost reminds me of Japanese.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Well it is in Taiwan, there are a lot more Japanese influences there since it was ruled by them for the first half of the 20th century.

Uhhh I live in Taiwan and still find this sort of transliteration pretty rare but thanks for the history 101!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

Maybe when you pick up a kafei on your way to the wangba you can say OK and baibai to the waitress before her other fense arrive! :rolleyes:

excuse me, I believe that's wang ka you're thinking of

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I think there's ways to show the modern culture without it just being Western culture. This is Taiwan which is a whole nother can of worms but I watched this music video and was struck with how well it encapsulates Taiwanese culture and found myself comparing which aspects are similar/different to Western cultures. Some of the stuff is common to China too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX2GsMj7154
Things like reading comic books instead of focusing in class are similar, but then the uniforms and sharing delicious Yakult with classmates are different. The bonfire and girlfriend is really similar, and the entering a company is pretty similar too, but in the middle there's the mandatory military service which is different. And so on.

I should just Taiwan up every thread the way Bloodnose Hong Kongs every thing~

Seriously though I don't have something China specific that is that ideal off hand, but I think sitcoms like 愛情公寓 and dating shows like 非誠無擾 can give a decent lens into what's going on with modern young people in China.

I guess it depends on your definition of culture. I'm interested in people and different places to the extent that small things like "Most people in the US start dating in high school, whereas in Asia it's more common to start dating in college" are interesting enough cultural differences to interest me. Familial relations are also COMPLETELY different too. Socializing is very different. I don't know.

I feel like the "culture" you are talking about is more like a bigger overarching civilization type thing where people wear traditional garb and whatnot. I am pretty much as far from an anthropologist as it gets but I believe culture is more than that.

e: I think I completely misread your post and your point is not that mahjong and such are too insignificant to be considered Chinese culture but rather that these things would not be recognized as Chinese because nobody in the West knows dirt about Asia. Well, cultural exports would be a good way to introduce it. You have generations of Americans knowing about things like rice balls and school uniforms via anime, why not know about some things about China too?

The bigger problem is that the media produced by the Sinosphere is kinda terrible. Taiwanese soaps are considered the "good quality" ones and they look like something filmed in a high schooler's backyard sometimes. Novels are better but hard to translate.

hitension fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 27, 2013

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

No, see the difference is that the United States government doesn't forbid you from changing your residence, going to schools in a place other than the place you were born, deny medical treatment* to people living outside of their home city, etc. I mean hukou is a bit more complicated than that and there are ways of changing it (if you're already somewhat powerful, or if you want to move out of the cities for some reason) but based on your post I am guessing that you haven't heard of this system at all so please read up on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hukou_system

*Well we just deny medical treatment to all of the poor :suicide:

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

^Read that as "Hunan" at first and thought: But really, could anything have made a trip to Hunan NOT horrible?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

dilbertschalter posted:

I would say it's more "China" vs. "Not China."

This... including what is hands-down my least favorite word in the entire Chinese language: "國外". I guess you could translate it as "overseas" but it gets used in contexts that "overseas" would NEVER be used in English.
Medicine is easier to buy "overseas"? Is medicine easier to buy in North Korea? Namibia?
Working conditions "overseas" are better? Are working conditions better in Japan? Panama?
People "overseas" are more open minded? In Saudi Arabia? In the Vatican?

I also like when people go to one random country use 國外 to refer to their country-specific experiences as if they apply to every non-China foreign country. I met a guy who studied in France, and apparently people in 國外 protest/go on strike at the drop of a hat, take a month of vacation in August, host salons, eat bread regularly, etc. Yep. They totally do that in every non-China country, definitely not your unique France-specific experiences, because other countries don't have unique traits, only China and Everything Else.

China exceptionalism at its best.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I went and read about Tiananmen for a while and this is a pretty great eyewitness account if you'd like to know more. This is from the end of the interview:

A decent number of young mainland Chinese people DO know about 6/4, reasons in decreasing order of likelihood:
1) Young people today's parents were students during this time period and discussed their first hand experiences
2) Personal interest in history/politics/etc, a vague awareness that the government isn't telling them everything, and 翻牆ing (using a VPN) and stumbling across it
3) Traveling abroad (especially to places like Taiwan or the USA, where everyone is desperate to tell the Chinese people about this incident) and encountering this information

I have no idea what the percentage is though, I wish this is something that could be researched. I would guess 20% as a completely made up number.

Also some Chinese people are goody two shoes and pretend to not know what you're talking about when you bring up 6/4, Tibet, etc., could be for multiple reasons: don't feel like arguing, feel awkward discussing the issue with foreigners, afraid of getting in some sort of trouble etc.

By the way, if you want to hear first-hand accounts of 6/4, a lot of the leaders such as Wang Dan and Wuerkaixi live in Taiwan now. Wang Dan gives really great lectures!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Chickenwalker posted:

What in the poo poo kind of R&D does China have that we would even want? How to stack 16 cages of chickens on a single moped?

This post overall was kinda wacky but I burst out laughing at this line. Totally using it the next time Chinese friends complain about counterespionage or whatever.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

There's loads of this kind of stuff (as with anywhere else to be honest). I remember reading an article recently declaiming several Chinese myths. The first myth was that you couldn't give a watch to someone because it would have very negative implications (you're going to die soon, lol). The author cited as proof that watch sales are huge and climbing ever higher in China and they're routinely given as corporate gifts. Of course the whole reason behind the superstition is one of the homophones for clock (种)is (终)'end' (ie death), whereas watch is a different character and the superstition doesn't apply. I've always thought that was a fairly intricate one.

Also, has everyone encountered the 'lamb/oily food gives you nose bleeds' thing? I've also encountered the fan death myth but not too widespread.

What? It's not intricate at all. A clock is 鐘(钟), a watch is 錶 (表). "送鐘" "to give a clock" sounds like "送終" "to impart last rites" (maybe? I suck at translation). At any rate, who gives clocks (or green hats for that matter) as a gift?
What I find more urgent is the issue that you cannot give someone an umbrella(傘, umbrella, sounds like 散, to separate), as sometimes I desperately need an umbrella! :saddowns:
Fan death is a South Korea myth, not Chinese

Optimistic and ridiculously misleading NY Times headline today:
25 Years Later, Student Leaders Witness Freedoms Fought for in Tiananmen
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/world/asia/25-years-later-student-leaders-witness-freedoms-fought-for-in-tiananmen.html?rref=world/asia

hitension fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 5, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

In related messaging apps in China news, LINE (the most popular messaging software in Taiwan) is now banned in mainland China as of yesterday or today.

This really sucks because I met a bunch of super cool Chinese exchange students here in Taiwan over the past year and a lot of them JUST just went back to China and we were like "Well, we can't use Facebook to keep in touch, but at least we have LINE!" Now I have no way at all to contact these people. China and its complete lack of soft power is so disappointing, they're like the evil ad executive that has no idea how to be hip with the young kids today.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Mustang posted:

A friend of mine has been living in Taiwan for a few years now and from I've heard from him the young people in Taiwan seem to be overwhelmingly against reunification.

Yes.

Mustang posted:

I was also wondering if China had effectively given up on acquiring Taiwan.

No.

e:

whatever7 posted:

Beijing probably get an idea that Taiwan will continue to vote for moderate president that won't push the envelop of declaring independence and at the same time they (Beijing) realize Taiwanese people very little to incentive to united with China politically.

At this rate, the next president of Taiwan is highly likely to be from the pro-independence DPP. (KMT) President Ma's approval rating is 9%. Of course, there's 2 more years til the election, so we will see.

whatever7 posted:

In other words, Beijing may want to push for continued economic integration, but politically stay status quote.

No, they want to use economic integration to make Taiwan more reliant upon China and push for political talks. Political interactions between mainland China and Taiwan are becoming MORE frequent, not less. Higher level officials are making the visits now. This JUST happened:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-28012272
China is most definitely not interested in maintaining the "status quo". That's what Taiwan wants (really-- that's what the KMT wants because that's the best they can do. If there was no threat of war, Taiwanese would overwhelmingly prefer independence.)

quote:

Also, Taiwan becoming part of China in a new loose confederate is a double edge sword for China. Whatever political freedom China give to Taiwan they likely have to give to Xinjiang and Tibet. That's not a good deal for Beijing.

Why would you think that? Xinjiang and Tibet have nothing to do with Taiwan. The historical background is quite different. Tibet is a region with its own ethnic group, language, religion, etc., that is politically under the control of China. It's also arguable that Tibet gets something out of it (economic development). Taiwan is essentially the same ethnic group as Chinese people, with the same language and a similar culture, but they are politically completely independent and have very little to gain from unifying with China.

hitension fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

whatever7 posted:

I think Beijing doesn't believe the "One Country, Two Systems" is a realistic goal anymore, that's why they have taken the kid gloves off HK business. They don't care if HK affairs will set off negative vibes to the "One Country Two Systems" propaganda.

Think about it, even if China become a democratic state tomorrow, why would Taiwan want to become part of the China, where its not even the 2nd most important province/region? Being a nation state comes with a lot of benefits, Taiwan pretty much enjoy most of these benefits without officially called a country.

I think we actually agree here: Taiwanese do not have any reason to want to be part of China except for a handful of people with ethnic/nationalistic/racist notions of a greater Chinese nationality. Those people are mostly old and dying off. (Have met a few young crazy people, but that's like saying the USA still has white supremacists/KKK, it's still not a mainstream concept nor is it flourishing) So, yeah, Taiwanese people do not want to be part of China.
What you quoted was me writing on a completely different issue. I stated that, regardless of rationality/feasibility, China still desperately wants to "bring back" Taiwan by any means, and nowadays they view the best means as economic subversion.

quote:

But that argument doesn't work. Xinjiang/Tibet have greater ethnic difference to the rest of China so by that logic they should have more autonomy than Taiwan. Tibetans can easier argue they were politically independent for longer time than Taiwan. Tibet was ruled by China from 1950s on ward. Taiwan was directly ruled by the central government from middle of Qing dynasty to the end of 19th century.

In practice Xinjiang/Tibet do not have autonomy nor the capability of asserting autonomy, while in practice Taiwan is completely independent. I mean, Taiwan is literally just its own country and it's kinda absurd that news articles and the like bring up Beijing's claim to Taiwan as anything more than just a fantasy. I am sure Tibet and Xinjiang would like to have their own autonomy too but there is no reason to think that Taiwan coming under Beijing's administration would make it possible for conditions in Tibet/Xinjiang to change. Or, what makes you think that gaining MORE control and power (in this example, over Taiwan) would make Beijing willing to give up power elsewhere (in this example, over Tibet)?

hitension fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 5, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

I think the most likely solution to the Taiwan Problem is that someday one-party rule on the mainland will collapse and the country will democratize or turn into an Ork Warboss Nightmare Land or something and Taiwan will declare independence and that'll be that.

Was just debating this scenario today. It's the only realistic scenario I can think of that sounds favorable to me.
The ironic part is, if China democratized/became less crappy, it'd actually probably start to be in (some) Taiwanese people's interest to unify or at least maintain really close relations

whatever7 posted:

I am not talking about getting close politically. I am talking about the end game of "One Country Two Systems". If, for the sake of argument, Taiwan reunite with China and change the flag to five-star flag, and obviously still retain the freedom of voting for their own "province president", then the Uyghurs in Xinjiang are going to ask for the same thing. They are going to kill more cops to fight for it. You might think CPP is a ruthless political machine. But keeping the message consistent is still very important to the CCP.

By that logic, people in Xinjiang should be fighting for the rights given to Hong Kongers right now

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

So according to the white paper, that would be zero rights?

Oh please. Hong Kong as a city state may not have a democracy but they have economic independence, freedom of speech/internet, etc. Hong Kongers JUST organized a massive protest with hundreds of thousands of people. Do you think that could happen in Lhasa?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

This sounds dirty somehow. I could see it entering the lexicon.

Chinese in Malaysia don't care about Hong Kong? I guess it doesn't affect them directly... people in Taiwan cared a lot at the height of the movement, but I've been seeing levels of care dying down to the point where only the people who are ALWAYS worked up about SOMETHING are worked up about it.

Also this is late but def weirded out by the person who was referring to the people of China as "you" when replying to one individual's post. It reminded me of Chinese people who feel the need to preface every sentence with 我們中國 when in the presence of a foreigner.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I wonder what Chad did to get on the wrong side of 1.3 billion people.

Fuckin' Chad.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Strongly agree with Arglebargle

Also while we're on our what-ifs, perhaps a non-Communist China would also have been pumped full of US money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Haha I like how he "accidentally" sent a sexually explicit e-mail to HR. I imagine it was more like

:downs: Hey bb nice tits u dtf
:nyd: ...You do realize that I am HR right? As in, the person people come to with sexual harassment complaints?
:saddowns: WAHH I'M TELLING DADDY