Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
Does this sperging about Chinese characters really have anything to do with China's political and economic rise?. There's already Chinese language thread that is a more appropriate venue for that.

There are much more interesting things to talk about when it comes to China. Let's take Weibo 微博 (微 means 'micro', 博 as in 博客 'boke' blog). This is China's version of Twitter (of which Sina Weibo is the biggest I believe) and from my understanding the best venue Chinese have to vent about injustices since there's way too much going on and the censors can't keep up to it. Even Wen Jiabao is going to start tweeting here.

Last year during the Wenzhou train disaster this is where you'd hear about the Chinese government's attempts to mitigate the fallout from the disaster by hiding evidence (literally by burying train cars). Recently another topic that has come up was the disfiguring of a 17 year old girl who was set on fire by a spurned suitor. By itself this probably wouldn't be a popular topic on weibo for long, but the guy in question is a 官二代 (term for children of a government official like 富二代 is for children of the wealthy) and the fact that months have passed without a prosecution of the guy has really angered a lot of Chinese. Many of them believe that because of this guy's privileged position that he's going to get off with a light punishment.

These outrageous abuses of the powerful on the general populace are a dime a dozen, but discussion of them does not conform with the idea of a harmonious society. The government's idea to 'harmonize' this discussion is to force all users to post with their real names. Will this kill off this sort of badly needed conversation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything

hitension posted:

Eagerly awaiting the moment when Tumblr is sourced in the New York Times and the Economist

Well...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/world/asia/bo-xilais-son-defends-him-as-upright-and-devoted.html

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

A friend of mine brought his Thai fiancee back to the U.S. and married her. The general talk is that it's much more difficult to bring someone to the U.S. _if_ you get married first in their native country. It sounds like really backwards policy but it's some kind of red flag for the consulate to get married first. The fiance visa is way easier to get supposedly. It might have helped that in this case the guy bringing her over was Thai-American around the same age so it wasn't like they thought it was some shady mail order/bargirl deal.

Maybe it's different for Thailand (more visa fraud attempts from China I've heard), but the fiance/e visa should be harder to get; somebody who is actually engaged may think differently, but there's very little paperwork to backup the legitimacy of that kind of relationship. If you get married in China and have your red marriage certificate books you have hard evidence of commitment.

I got married to my Chinese wife in Bejiing, then got her to the US on a CR-1 visa, which got her a temporary (2 year) green card. No problems during the whole process for us.

timtastic fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 11, 2013