Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Another inaccurate thing is that people usually don't carry around a roll of toilet paper, they carry around a little packet of tissues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

GuestBob posted:

Living in Henan I see a big pile of human poo poo on the street at least twice a day, if it was only infants then it wouldn't be so bad, but it's not. It's not like this is Bangladesh either: there are public toilets everywhere but for some reason people haven't transcended that bovine insouciance towards making GBS threads where they stand.

I think even within China this is a regional thing. I've never seen this happening in Shenzhen or Guangzhou. I've never seen human feces on the street here at all, actually,

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Nope street shitters and peeing here too in Shenzhen every other time I'm in Shenzhen. In fact the most ridiculous one I saw was a mom arcing her baby piss two feet away like a bridge into the public washing basin inside a fast food restaurant.

Well I see peeing all the time.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, where'd you hear this? :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_safety_incidents_in_China#Sewage_used_in_tofu_manufacturing

My girlfriend remembers seeing this on the news a while back, too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arakan posted:

Don't people just buy homes with cash in China? I don't think I've ever met anyone with a mortgage. Sure people might lose a bunch of money on an individual basis with a collapse but the whole financial system isn't really in danger like it was in America.

While buying with cash seems more common in China, tons of people have mortgages. Usually people put 20-30% of the total value of the home as a down payment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't know the details of it, but I know a guy here that got mega rich by operating an illegal business that has something to do with credit card fraud and dozens of small bank accounts. If you've ever seen those stickers with a phone number stuck to the ground in big cities, they're often advertisements for these businesses. The guy I know stopped doing it and used his money to open a legitimate travel agency after he had a daughter and one of his friends that did the same thing got caught and went to prison.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah I watched stuff on the news last night about the new poverty line and it just made me angry and I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes.

e: The best part was something I saw a few weeks ago, where they interviewed some guy who was saying "I think with hard work, we can reduce poverty to under 10% of the population" and this was before there was even a poverty line at all.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 29, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I heard the even and odd licensed coal plants will only operate on alternating days.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

V for Vegas posted:

Had to lol at the line that HKTV will run out of television to broadcast in two months!

That hasn't stopped them yet!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Koramei posted:

How shady exactly is the apartment flipping, and how common is it in China among westerners? My friend's dad (my friend is adopted-Chinese with white parents) paid for a semester of her tuition ...in cash... from a Chinese apartment he sold. We're a bit confused, is this like, the way it's done, or is he just being extremely weird/ illegal.

Why do you assume it's illegal to sell an apartment? I don't understand what you're thinking.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

That sort of thing is probably more dangerous in the US though. Remember that story about the guy who was going to buy a truck in cash and had tens of thousands of dollars confiscated by the police with no recourse because they assumed it was drug money?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I can't find any news articles about it anymore, but I vaguely remember there was some bullshit preventing him from suing to get it back. This sounds wrong but for some reason I'm remembering that the way it was set up, the money would have had to sue and the guy couldn't?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah those sure are long words!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

TheBalor posted:

True enough, it was the ji ding that really made me do a double take.

That part is just a coincidence though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Qingdao stuff is blocked online right now? I was watching this on the news (on Chinese TV) yesterday.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What about House of Flying Daggers, another Zhang Yimou film? That seemed pretty popular at the time, although I guess it's possible I just have weird friends.

e: Or Hero, yeah. What that guy said.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hitension posted:

This... including what is hands-down my least favorite word in the entire Chinese language: "國外". I guess you could translate it as "overseas" but it gets used in contexts that "overseas" would NEVER be used in English.
Medicine is easier to buy "overseas"? Is medicine easier to buy in North Korea? Namibia?
Working conditions "overseas" are better? Are working conditions better in Japan? Panama?
People "overseas" are more open minded? In Saudi Arabia? In the Vatican?

I also like when people go to one random country use 國外 to refer to their country-specific experiences as if they apply to every non-China foreign country. I met a guy who studied in France, and apparently people in 國外 protest/go on strike at the drop of a hat, take a month of vacation in August, host salons, eat bread regularly, etc. Yep. They totally do that in every non-China country, definitely not your unique France-specific experiences, because other countries don't have unique traits, only China and Everything Else.

China exceptionalism at its best.

This is, of course, hyperbole. People are saying certain things to you because you're white, but they're definitely not lumping you in with Koreans, Arabs, Africans, etc.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

But China doesn't actually divide the world into "my country" and "not my country" the way that hitension was suggesting. The existence and use of the word 國外 isn't necessarily evidence of that, just like 河馬 (hippopotamus, "river horse") doesn't mean Chinese people literally think hippos are a type of horse.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I wish the anarchists that wanted to adopt Esperanto as the official language had won.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hong Kong has a huge cultural impact on the Cantonese speaking areas of the mainland, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Trammel posted:

Depressingly, I think you can apply the same logic to those of us who are voluntarily living within the PRC.

No, you can't. What are you getting at?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

WarpedNaba posted:

Depends on how many rights foreigners have in the PRC.

I'm a foreigner in the PRC and I have the right to easily go to the airport literally right now and leave and never come back.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I guess, but we can just leave at any time we decide we don't like that bargain any more. It's not really that comparable.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jeoh posted:

Did Shenzhen even really exist back then?

Shenzhen had its 30th birthday party in 2010.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Peven Stan posted:

Is masturbating to a hypothetical shooting war between the PLA and UK what white expats do in their spare time

Seems like it until you realize most of the people doing it don't even live in China they're just talking even more out of their rear end than you thought.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blueyedevil posted:

So I know very little about modern China. How is Hong Kong viewed by Mainlanders? How is the Mainland viewed by Hong Kongers? How are both viewed by Western expats?

The short version is mainlainders think the British wouldn't have stood a chance against the PLA in a shooting war in the 80s. Hong Kongers usually say while they wish they were still part of the Empire, they're just glad it never escalated to nuclear war.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Is that why Hong Kong has that seawater toilet system or whatever it is?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

WarpedNaba posted:

To be honest, there's nothing that the US or NATO could do to the PRC that the PRC hasn't already done to itself.

This is incorrect, but ignoring that, do you have a point?

Vladimir Putin posted:

I would say the PRC. The PRC is like the US gigantic factory. You can always find another factory in a country with low costs. The US has accumulated capital--which is being rapidly transferred to China--but nonetheless China doesn't have.

The entire world would lose. You can't always just find another factory country. There's already much cheaper countries to manufacture in than China, but what China has that keeps everyone there is world-class infrastructure for this sort of thing. An actual war like this would literally destroy the worldwide electronics industry and it would take years to come back.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 15, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

When did all these various groups in Southern China get rolled into Han?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes and can you imagine what would have happened if there was a Hindu nationalist authoritarian government in power?

No, I have no idea. Can you please let us know?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's list the countries that both rank in top 20 gdp per cap and have authoritarian goverments but don't have free associations with large democratic states on their borders:

Qatar? I don't know, do Kuwait or Brunei count? Keep in mind I'm also heavily relying on Wikipedia.

e: Singapore, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Bahrain?

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 7, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

Bahrain hosts like half the US Navy and all the other gulf states there are clients of the same Navy.

I don't know, man. I'm just going by the qualifiers he laid out.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dilbertschalter posted:

Noted economic powerhouses Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman, and Bahrain, yes.

Seems like he was asking for countries in the top 20 GDP per capita?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

whatever7 posted:

My theory about CCP and democracy is that China will get to democracy sooner if somebody can figure out a system that doesn't look like democracy from outside but still have the mechanism of distribution of power and check and balance. You see CHINA! doesn't want to give the credit of modernization to the west.

Hmm, I disagree.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I believe it's actually China.docx.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I would be quite interested to see a modern peasant revolt in Hong Kong.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I hope it really happens.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MJ12 posted:

China is pretty cyberpunk in general. You have the massive income inequality, everpresent pollution, entrenched corporate interests who have significant influence over the use of force, and extensive computer technology being used on all sides for their own goals. When I was in China if some guys in an armored van with a pink mohawk busted out of a wall and started shooting, I would have considered that entirely plausible.

(Either the guys or the van can have the pink mohawk).

To be honest, you could replace the word "China" with "United States" and this would make almost as much sense.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ah yes, enemies such as Saudia Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

You think the US has worse pollution than the ex-USSR? To my knowledge the US has not misplaced any major bodies of fresh water.

Well, we do, they're just harder to see. See also: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/opinion/where-the-colorado-river-runs-dry.html?_r=0, also I think the Aral Sea is a salt lake?