Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

skysedge posted:

The quality of ROC military units varies depending where you go. As a general rule, the units comprised almost entirely of volunteers tend to be very professional and squared away, while the conscript heavy units tend to be less so (National Guard levels of quality or below). As you mentioned, the trend is now to go to an all volunteer force by 2014, although males reaching draft age will still be subject to 4 months basic training.

There's a common saying amongst draftees here: "Nothing is real except your discharge papers". Most of us would rather be doing something else, but for better or worse, here we are. From my experience in what I'd subjectively term as a substandard backwater combat unit, many conscripts (and even some career troops, unfortunately) do nothing except the bare minimum, if even that. On the other hand, there are always troops who do their best to keep things running, in spite of the former group.

There is alternative service for those who qualify (physical disability, special talents, nepotism), but most draftees still end up in the military. Conscripts ending up in the military are usually considered unskilled labor, with more technical / demanding billets reserved for career troops.

Most draftees would prefer to end up as REMFs. I speak English and Mandarin with native levels of fluency, having grown up in both the US and Taiwan, and have an advanced degree in engineering. Everyone in basic was convinced I'd end up as an REMF. For some reason or another, I didn't, and ended up as a grunt. When I reported to my current unit, my CO (who had already seen my file) asked me straight out: "What on Earth are you doing here?".

After talking to some colleagues from basic who ended up as REMFs, and spend their days riding desks, I don't regret it.

Anyhow, I'm headed back on duty today. Thanks for this thread, I'll be following with interest the next time I'm out on leave (assuming it doesn't get deferred again!).

Hey thanks for your posts. I'm really happy you chose to serve. I have a lot of Taiwanese friends and happen to have a vested interest in seeing Taiwan remain outside of the PRC sphere. Where I live in Canada a lot of mainland people have started settling here and almost all of them have poo poo opinions about Taiwan that amount to them treating it like it's their personal property.

The mainland disregard for Taiwanese people, their self determination and their sovereignty is quite frankly disgusting and it's people like you that are a reminder to them that you guys aren't going to just bend over and take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
They've built entire cities in the middle of nowhere from scratch in anticipation of large growth only to see them abandoned or very lightly inhabited. There is definitely some kind of asset price bubble going on and no amount of deflation is going to hide the truth that real-estate is over supplied and over priced.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
So what's the best way to avoid trouble with the police in China then? It sounds like there are a lot of ways you can get arrested in spite of being mostly harmless to society.