Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I really like his animations on youtube, Micah Rat is pretty much revolutionary with its raw and honest portrayal of homosexual youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfttd3Uv-Qw&t=36s
What a fantastically hateful turtle! You're such a freak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Whoa, this rat's been juicing.

Also, it's turtle time.

You're UGLY!You're UGLY!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

powerofrecall posted:

I can do this to all the panels pretty easily. If we had voices would it look better with or without the speech bubbles? Hell it probably wouldn't even be all that hard to do some primitive animation, at least mouth movements, after having the voice work recorded.
I have the first page blocked out and layered, and I recorded some vocals that can be kept or swapped out depending.

This is with a little bit of scribblemation, which I can increase when I'm actually putting out a video file and not a gif that needs to be compressed.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

powerofrecall posted:

That almost looks TOO good, you know? Too smooth, at least the speech bubble thing. If this was going to be something moving, I just imagine it looking way shittier.

When I knocked together that gif of shadow it's just two frames in photoshop. The scribble is just the two frames using the "ocean ripple" filter at weak and slightly different settings.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I personally really enjoy taking something of mspaint quality and giving it the full motion comic treatment. The idea of this author just sort of coming upon his own comic, after it has been lavishly worked upon, makes me smile.

Cows Go Moose posted:

You know, when I saw this, I couldn't help but think that it would look great as one of those art shifts you see in Spongebob.

I do believe I'll be utilizing this, if you don't mind.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

I'll finish this later, but in the meantime here's a rough of halfway through page one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8mi7uh-dS8&hd=1
Still need to animate the next six panels and spice the whole thing up, but I'm happy with it so far. Not sure how many pages I'll do, as it's pretty time consuming stuff.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrprj9D1QI&hd=1
Finished the first page, hurray!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I really like the video sample posted so far, and the voice acting tests are cool, too, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I recited the entire first chapter, word for word, in one take, which probably wasn't a good idea.

Well done! Some great voices here, especially for Shadow. As I said before these are a lot of work so no idea when I'll start the next page, but I'll probably look through the different voices that are posted and pick whichever single recording for each line is funniest, since consistency just fetters silliness.

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 21, 2012

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

SaltLick posted:

This just proves that lightning can strike twice. This is absolutely amazing. About how long did it take you total to make all that?
I started yesterday, maybe did an hour or two of prepwork in Photoshop and then a bunch of hours in After Effects animating. Maybe seven or eight hours of actual work, and a little more for AE misbehaving / goofing with turtles.

ChaosTheory posted:

Please use this bugs bunie sounds for your animation story.

That is utterly fantastic! Incredible screams of anguish, you had me convinced that you were a rabbit who had truly lost the love of his life.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Made an animated version of the one avatar, it'll play a little clip for you if you drag it into winamp or rename it .mp3 and open it with most media players. I'll see if I can do the other one too.

Youtube comment for TGT posted:

this is lazerbot and i think thats awesome you capture this just like i saw it in my head
shimtaz 27 minutes ago
I'm glad he liked it!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Here's some more avatars.

This one will scream at you if you put it in winamp.

Also, do you ever wonder what happens beyond the panel borders of a comic?

Now you know!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

As far as Micah Rat episodes go, I think episode 10 is top tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4a7huqfUE&t=42s
Micah repeatedly dying in virtual reality is pretty hilarious, and the wizard npc is incredible. I don't poop I'm a video game. I CANNOT COMPLY WITH THAT QUESTION.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Finished the prep work for page 2, and Gimbal lock wants to step up to the plate and eat page 3, so things are looking silly. If you've ever wanted to see what the prep work for a motion comic looks like (at least one that's Sonic themed), well, here's a treat for you!

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, Everdraed, that seems awfully complicated for an mspaint based motion comic. In fact, it's crazy, you're going to ruin the feel of everything!! For God's sake, the PIXELS!! Why would you do something like this!?

My response:

On a lighter note, if an incredibly kind soul could round up all the audio / fanart that's been created for ch1pg2 and link it in a clean list including its creator, they would save me a butt-load of time and tedium. If not I'll slowly trudge through stuff tomorrow I guess.

Along those lines, if anyone else wants to try their hand at voicing stuff for page2 or drawing fan art, now's the time to start belting out those anthropomorphic animal voices and pictures that you've all been secretly practicing with crazy pseudonyms like 'wulfGURL69' and 'SSJchubbyCheetahBoi.' Most art I'll include either in the panel or at the end if that doesn't work. As for voice acting, as long as you have a mic that's serviceable, you have a chance. I'm planning to use whatever line is funniest for that particular moment (though I'm going by my terrible sense of humor, so if it turns out to not be funny at all and just distracting I'll use single actors), and sometimes a completely deadpan, uninterested voice shreds a wacky one. So, uh, multiple readings would be super appreciated.

I'm also thinking about stealing the BttF main theme intro for a snazzy opener, and listing it as an original orchestrated composition made for Tails Gets Trolled since that makes me laugh (if you have doubts, try viewing the above gif while listening to the first twenty seconds of this). Maybe a terrible idea, but the bitterest seeds bear the sweetest fruit for this sort of thing.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Above Our Own posted:

Here's all I could find for ch1pg2 specifically. I'll try and keep it updated if anyone posts new material!
You're awesome, thank you so much!

Right now I'm going with Jeff Goldblum for Tails' incoherent hysterics and definitely for Shadow since that's pretty much what I imagine a dark brooding hedgehog to sound like, but if anyone can do a really good reading of Sonic that'd be great. I like your southern drawl for Sonic Prokhor, but there's a lot of pops in your recording.

I might go post in the VA thread to see if anyone in there wants to take a stab at reading some silly lines.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Aramek posted:

All the cool kids seem to be readings of this...thing, so, what's one more?

I think that's all of chapter one. At least, all of what was in the OP.

This is literally incredible voice work with superb recording quality, and I am having a very difficult time justifying using anything else (at least for page 2) because holy poo poo. What recording setup are you using for this?

Edit: Weird, I'm getting issues when I try to edit or use your mp3 in various applications and just seeing a few seconds of silence on media timelines, despite being able to play it back in audio players fine. Did the encode get mucked up somehow? It looks like the vbr is doing crazy things.

I can always just rerecord the wav out, but if you have another version you could chuck up that'd be awesome.

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 23, 2012

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Farbtoner posted:

He's making a wacky face. Wacky faces = instant funny
The original face is funny because it's really expressive for an mspaint, and clearly shows utter speechlessness in the face of a brutal troll assault. The fanart is funny because it's a grotesque shot of that frame coming from cartoon tradition of disgusting closeups. The humor stems from it being an homage to Ren & Stimpy / Spongebob grossout shots, not that it's a super high-quality version of the facial expression. It's fine to not find that sort of thing funny as humor is utterly subjective, but I think it works pretty well.

If anything I flubbed implementing it into the animation by not timing that musical flourish (which as part of the song just randomly sort of synced close and I didn't realize until I viewed the rendered version) and not making the face take up more of the screen. If we get a few of these done I'll probably make a remastered version and include those changes.

Farbtoner posted:

This comic is amazing but since people can't settle to just look and not touch he knows about us and it's only going to go downhill from here.
This thread has 150,000 views; it's ludicrous to expect him to not find out about us, and pointless trying to keep it a secret. We find his comic entertaining, he's taking everything in stride while enjoying the attention, and all signs point to him wanting to continue with his work. Obviously nobody should act like a creepy stalker, as that's just plain rude and nothing good can come from it, but I think it's perfectly fine to discuss his creations and make awesome fanart.

Lazerbot himself said that he really liked the animation (including the grossout shot) and I'm sure he's flattered by all the great artwork that's been produced, so I think everything's gravy.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Phew, it's done! Ch 1 Pg 2 of the Tails Got Trolled Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIUkr4_1U0&hd=1

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Gimbal lock posted:

Heads up for page 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_xDhkrHFI&hd=1

Seeing as doing this stuff takes a while (and as Everdraed mentioned earlier in the thread), I pitched in for all that is worthwhile and made this one. If anybody else would like to make a page it would be awesome!
As I said before, excellent work! Updated my videos and put links for ease of viewin'.

And yeah, if anyone else has the desire to pitch in and do animation work don't be a stranger. There's a lot of pages, and no way two people can do them all in any sort of timely fashion.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Yeah, I like sneaking in silly references when I can, it's delicious chicken fat. Also, using these sort of projects to practice random things like particles (each drop realistically darkens the grass!!) and linking audio amplitude through expressions to promote the beat (like for the sun, the tears and background in the second panel, etc) is pretty fun.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Do you by any chance have any tutorials on how you do your stuff? I'd love to read them.

Unfortunately I don't, but the vast majority of the work for the comic really isn't that complicated. Mostly a bunch of prep work in Photoshop layering / filling everything out, then importing into After Effects and using a lot of puppet tool for motion effects. I honestly need to spend more time watching tutorials myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

After spending pretty much all day reading Hitmen for Destiny in its entirety, I'm just sort of blown away. From its nonchalant ultra-violence to the myriads of fantastic monsters that are all painstakingly explained and given intelligently-devised ecological backgrounds, it's a god damned mspaint masterpiece. The characters are brilliant, especially Lostclock and Vorte.