Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Have any divers in here ever seen a White Shark? Or have any interesting shark stories?

I’ve read part of the thread, starting from the beginning, but I have a long way to go to get caught up and can’t search on mobile.

In CA I've seen a good sized blue shark, and a sixgill once off of the Channel Islands, but never a white. Divers see them rarely. Open water swimmers and surfers are the ones that see them, and occasionally get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

2 participants in my diving group almost canceled their trip because there were reports of a shark sighting 3 weeks earlier, somewhere on the same island we dove in. We didn't see any :(

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
My parents went to South Africa to do the cage dive. Said it was cold as gently caress.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Or have any interesting shark stories?

A 4-5 ft sixgill visited while we were doing drills at 65 ft during a class. It circled us twice within arm's reach, very slow and calm, then swam off into the gloom. It came back for a second look a moment later, did another lap, then left.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve only ever seen a black tip reef shark called Chip when diving. He was friendly and reliable hence having the name.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

My parents went to South Africa to do the cage dive. Said it was cold as gently caress.

I'm a big cold water diving evangelist, but even with good gear if you're just sitting around not moving you get real cold.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Saw an oceanic whitetip while snorkeling with pilot whales on the way to a dive site off the big island of Hawaii, and got the gently caress back on the boat.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm a big cold water diving evangelist, but even with good gear if you're just sitting around not moving you get real cold.

Yesterday the water here was 30 C. We consider 27 to be cold.

Cold water is awful and I will brook no argument.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

Yesterday the water here was 30 C. We consider 27 to be cold.

Cold water is awful and I will brook no argument.

I like it better :shrug:

The easier diving and larger proportion of vacation-only divers in tropical destinations means that I see a lot more egregiously bad divers and stupid risky poo poo in a warm water destination than cold water ones.

I dive for the life. Being able to tolerate cold water means that the world I can explore underwater is larger than if I could not.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

IMO: do OW, dive a bunch, then do advanced (which does deep) and do buoyancy as one of the specializations.

No idea what Deep Adventure Dive is, but if you're worried about the scuba police you don't need to be. The goal isn't to get "legal" to a depth ASAP, it's to build the fundamental skills ASAP.

Awesome, thanks. Any tips on finding reputable places in vacation spots to dive a bunch? I'd rather not just dive in a tank a bunch, unless there's a good reason to.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I like it better :shrug:

The easier diving and larger proportion of vacation-only divers in tropical destinations means that I see a lot more egregiously bad divers and stupid risky poo poo in a warm water destination than cold water ones.

I dive for the life. Being able to tolerate cold water means that the world I can explore underwater is larger than if I could not.

What are cold water places you’ve enjoyed?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ploots posted:

What are cold water places you’ve enjoyed?

God's Pocket in British Columbia is a resort off the northern tip of Vancouver island. That area gets really strong tidal currents, so you need to dive at slack tide, but the currents carry huge amounts of nutrients so the density of life is incredible. It's hard to find a single spot that doesn't have *something* growing on it.

The Channel Islands off of Southern California are beautiful and quite varied. The life changes as you go north/south, but also quite a bit as you go east/west towards or away from open ocean. You have kelp forests, rocky reef, and tons of fish. I love doing liveaboard trips out there.

The Poor Knights islands in New Zealand are similar, but even better protected. They're incredible for a California diver because the life is so similar, but very different. It's like alternate universe California. Because they've been protected so long, and are a bit out in the open ocean, the density of life is really incredible too. It's a magical place, and I'd love to go back some day. If I had to pick one place in the world to dive over and over again, it would be the Poor Knights.

Tasmania is less protected, but also quite beautiful. If the Poor Knights are alternate universe southern California, Tassie is alternate universe northern California. And they have these wild looking things:

I do most of my diving around Monterey, California. There're beautiful kelp forests, and tons of critters around to marvel at.

In cold water diving the conditions aren't always great, and the visibility can be poo poo, but honestly that's part of what makes it fun. You never know how it'll be until you get in the water, and there's so much going on.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

poisonpill posted:

Awesome, thanks. Any tips on finding reputable places in vacation spots to dive a bunch? I'd rather not just dive in a tank a bunch, unless there's a good reason to.

Reputable isn't hard, most any 5-star PADI shop will be reputable. The problem will be finding a shop that doesn't do cattle-call group diving with 10+ divers per divemaster.
My info is out of date, but I went group diving in Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grand and Little Cayman, and it went fine. I was young, so I probably missed any minor issues, but it was always in big groups.

More recently, my wife and I dove on the Kona side of the big Island of Hawaii in a small group, which was great.

We did a trip to Dominica, which is very off the beaten path. The diving was good, but the dive shops were pretty informal. One was a professional operation with a boat that held 20-ish people and it was cattle-call. The other shop had a 15' open skiff and it was just the two of us and the divemaster. We enjoyed the simplicity and adventure, but it wasn't for everyone.

We also did a vacation on Bonaire, which was fantastic, but there's not much else to do OTHER than dive, which might not be your jam. I also wouldn't recommend it to a beginner because half the fun of Bonaire is the shore diving with your partner and no one else around. We dove 3x a day for a week.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Many years ago I went through PADI open water but dropped it after my first certification dive. I just got back from Cayman where I did a bunch of snorkeling and I really regret not finishing…so I want to get back into it.

I read the first 20 pages of the thread and am still reading, and I read up on the subject other places online, but all other things being equal (instruction quality, dive shop reputation) between SSI and NAUI certification is one more advisable? I’d just like to be confident I know what I’m doing so I can do easy diving on vacations, but I’d like to be able to progress if I can.

The closest PADI shops are about 45 minutes away so probably will go with SSI or NAUI. Thanks!

(E. Im sure this question is probably asked a dozen times in here so apologies in advance…)

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 20, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

General rule is that the instructor matters far more than the organization for an open water certification

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah that much is made very clear. And so is the difference between PADI and NAUI, not so much SSI.

It seems SSI is more like PADI in terms of what you’re taught. Is the cert also more recognized internationally? Keeping in mind the thread is over 10 years old at this point, is that really an issue for NAUI anymore?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anecdotal, but most dive trips I've been on had a mix of PADI, NAUI and SSI divers and nobody had any issues with someone not recognizing their cert.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Same, the shop I worked for (PADI 5-star) didn’t care about where your cert card came from, as long as you had one. We might’ve looked at your card a little weird if it was from a training org we didn’t recognize off-hand (looking at you, NASE), but I think as long as that org was part of the recreational scuba training council (RSTC), you were good to go. It’s been a while since I was there, but that’s about how I remember it.

Got a little weird with orgs that used to train people but stopped, like the YMCA…but at that point, the person holding that card was usually looking for a refresher course anyways.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Anecdotal, but most dive trips I've been on had a mix of PADI, NAUI and SSI divers and nobody had any issues with someone not recognizing their cert.

Same. Only time I ever saw a card questioned was when someone had a CMAS card and the person looking at it had never seen one before or heard of the agency. Ended up being fine.

They're motivated to accept the certification, it isn't the same as a passport or something.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m from New Zealand and can confirm that the Poor Knights are very good temperate/cold water diving! To be fair I’ve only done one liveaboard there so really need to get back.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

In all honesty I would like to (some day) dive the kelp forests.

But donning a dry suit again sounds awful.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

It's definitely different. It's easy for me to go from cold to warm. I get that going in the other direction is harder.

If you're ever in northern California hmu and I'll show you some kelp critters.

Red_Fred posted:

I’m from New Zealand and can confirm that the Poor Knights are very good temperate/cold water diving! To be fair I’ve only done one liveaboard there so really need to get back.

I'm jealous, what an incredible place. If it wasn't the opposite side of the world I'd go there all the time.

I dove with Yukon Dive in 2017 or so. They were great.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Same. Only time I ever saw a card questioned was when someone had a CMAS card and the person looking at it had never seen one before or heard of the agency. Ended up being fine.

They're motivated to accept the certification, it isn't the same as a passport or something.

I'm qualified with BSAC and have never had a problem with getting my certification accepted. Sometimes take a bit of explaining that being a BSAC advanced diver is not equivalent to AOW but it's never really been a problem. That kind of stuff is also easier now that people are putting everything online and in apps so there's typically a little breakdown of what you're qualified to do.

Coldwater diving is fantastic but I totally get why most people aren't really into it. There feels like a lot more kit and prep and chances of having a low vis dive or a generally miserable day tend to be a lot higher. That said there's stuff in cold water spots you are otherwise never going to see, Scapa flow or seal diving in the UK are absolutely incredible as are some of the wrecks around here. Dry suits are also fairly flexible on temperature ranges and I'd prefer to be diving in the Med with my dry suit than a wetsuit outside of the height of summer.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you're ever in northern California hmu and I'll show you some kelp critters.

Is there good shore diving around Monterey or is it primarily boat based? I have some vague plans to dive there in the fall, might reach out for tips if the plans solidify.

MrNemo posted:

Dry suits are also fairly flexible on temperature ranges and I'd prefer to be diving in the Med with my dry suit than a wetsuit outside of the height of summer.

Went on a liveaboard trip a month ago with anticipated water temps of 60-70F, packed our drysuits expecting to be :smug: as hell. First half of the trip had water temps over 80F. We used them without any insulation and it was fine once we were in the water, though the mid-day zodiac rides were grim.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ploots posted:

Is there good shore diving around Monterey or is it primarily boat based? I have some vague plans to dive there in the fall, might reach out for tips if the plans solidify.

There's good shore diving. Point Lobos state park is my go-to, but it requires a reservation. San Carlos Beach/The Breakwater is usually pretty protected and is a nice dive. Can be crowded on weekends.

Boats can obviously get further out, so they're great too. And easier.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 21, 2023

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Spreadsheeted out the cost of buying doubles. really glad I looked into an underwater camera setup earlier this week to set a thoroughly unreasonable reference point.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ploots posted:

Spreadsheeted out the cost of buying doubles. really glad I looked into an underwater camera setup earlier this week to set a thoroughly unreasonable reference point.

I always think of how much I spent for my first car...

I snag cheap tanks when they appear even when there isn't an immediate need. So when I wanted to go doubles I had two steel 100s I paid $150/each for.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
When I found this little buddy, they were tented up around something - I thought they were a round rock at first. I spooked them as I was setting up my camera, thankfully they came back for their snacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eJxF-tpl_4

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
So yesterday I had my first SCUBA dive - Or, to be accurate, my first attempt at one.

I'm in Tenerife with my family and I've always wanted to try SCUBA since I love snorkeling and Zorak's Endless Ocean LP series here on SA kind of gave me the bug.

So I visited a dive center with good reviews and they were really friendly - I asked if they had a dive suit my size because I'm on the tall & bulky side, and they said they would have one.

A few days later it's time to dive, and the dive instructor picks me up bright and early on Saturday morning.

We started by picking up the two other discovery dive guys, young guys from Ireland who immediately got on with everyone like they'd been best mates for life.

I went to the dive center and we signed everything and we meet the three dive masters who would assist the lead instructor with the dive - I thought it was a fairly good sign that there would be three dive masters and an instructor for only three discovery divers.

But here's where the not-so-great stuff starts - Unfortunately some climate phenomenon led to absolutely massive waves all around the island, with zero visibility. We went through the rookie learning program anyway with the lead instructor taking us through a brief guide to what everything in your kit does, the most common hand signals etc.

The first dive site is scrubbed basically right away, and so we drive for about 30 minutes to another one - And it's awful there too. So we drive to a tourist beach and it looks calm enough to dive there.

We start kitting up and I realize my wetsuit is, well, really snug - Getting it on is an absolute nightmare, and I somehow managed to scrape the knuckles on all my fingers to absolute hell on the kneeguards. The instructor helps me get the thing on with a ton of tourists watching me get in the suit, and at last it's on!

At this point we waddle to the water with tanks and everything on - And it's at this point that we realize there is basically zero visibility - Looking down into the water I can't even see my feet.

Nevertheless, we do the basic skills such as clearing your regulator, intentionally dropping it and getting it back, clearing your mask and so on, all ending with a firm underwater handshake from the instructor.

Unfortunately, due to the visibility, the dive gets cancelled and we waddle up to the dive center with all the gear, and I peel off my wetsuit - Thankfully, taking the thing off is a fair bit easier than getting it on!

The instructor was super apologetic about the whole thing - Apparently these conditions are fairly rare here in Tenerife. He offered a refund which the Irish guys accepted, but I asked if we could reschedule since the weather is apparently clearing up - So I'll be going again tomorrow and apparently the waves should be nice and calm.

I realize this might not be that interesting to any of you, but I thought I'd write down my experience and ask if my experience is common or if there's some red flags I'm missing?

Honestly, if the dive tomorrow goes well I'd love to do my open water cert in my home country of Iceland - It's a fair bit more expensive but it usually includes dry suit certification and apparently learning to dive in cold water is good for you? Plus, Iceland is home to a few really interesting dive sites like Silfra and Strýtan.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

From what you describe it sounds like they did what they could given the circumstances, trying alternative dive sites and ultimately offering a refund. Unfortunately weather and water conditions is something you can't do much about and some times it's just going to be a deco day spent at the pub instead. It's a bummer when that happens to be on your first dive ever.

A wet suit is always going to be very snug. As long as it doesn't hinder the movement of your arms or legs it's probably not too small, but it takes a bit of practice to get in and out of one without struggling. There's no shame in getting someone else to help.

I've visited Iceland a few times but I've never dived there. I'd love to some time, the Silfra rift is said to be amazing.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Where I live it's both cold and visibility is <10m. You prepare for the worst, so any warm touristy place will be an upgrade. Plus you don't feel like the loving Michelin man with just a shorty Vlvs 10-15mm neoprene. I always have more problems taking it off though, seems to slip on easier when dry for me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What a bunch of pansies. I got certified in a reservoir in Denver that never has visibility better than a few feet.

What you describe is the normal way of putting on a wetsuit. It sucks. I hate wetsuits with every fiber of my being. I hate drysuits only slightly less

Collateral Damage posted:

I've visited Iceland a few times but I've never dived there. I'd love to some time, the Silfra rift is said to be amazing.

It's extremely worth the loving vicious ice cream headache you get when you put your face in. (I didn't know that was even possible, but it stands to reason).

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 13, 2023

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Kesper North posted:

I hate drysuits only slightly less

I had the delightful experience of my first major pee valve leak last night. Not a problem with the plumbing, the valve had come unscrewed a bit and started letting water in when I got to ~20 ft.

Dive was good after we got that sorted, saw five kinds of nudibranch and six octopus

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ploots posted:

I had the delightful experience of my first major pee valve leak last night. Not a problem with the plumbing, the valve had come unscrewed a bit and started letting water in when I got to ~20 ft.

Ahhh, there's nothing like that first freezing droplet to tell you it's gonna be a "fun" dive ;)

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Get a robust plastic bag, put your hand in said bag, then slide arm into wetsuit sleeve. Once your hand is through remove the plastic bag. Much easier.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
So I had my second attempt at a discovery dive and it was really everything the first one wasn't - The diving instructor picked me up in the morning and I got a bit worried because the van was chock-full of people, and when we got to the dive center there were even more people.

But as it turns out, these were mostly just divers going to the same dive site with different guides, and that I would be going alone with an instructor and dive master.

The dives themselves were really fantastic - I saw some flounders, lizardfish and just too many fish to name. The highlight was definitely a Trumpetfish that was hovering over a reef looking for things to eat.

I had a lot of difficulty getting comfortable breathing at first, but after about a minute it suddenly just clicked that I should just calm down, and take slower breaths. I also didn't really get a decent understanding of the BCD and that led to the first dive being scrapped a bit early because I had a slight panic when I felt like I was going to crash into a reef, overinflated the BCD and started flying up slowly - The divemaster caught on and helped me get up. We swam to shore where some locals started hurling insults at us - Apparently divers aren't super popular down there.

I went over what happened with my instructor and divemaster and they told me I'd done fine with everything and that I just needed a finer touch on the BCD.

We went back to the water and this time I feel that everything went way, way better - I felt in control and I finally started understanding how swimming underwater works - Previously I had accidentally been swimming upwards. That's not to say I didn't look incredibly awkward underwater, of course!

But yeah, I'm pretty confident I'll be doing my open water certification in Iceland once I get home - I had a wonderful time and all the divers I met were super friendly and everyone seemed genuinely excited to talk about diving.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Glad you had a good dive, and it sounds like you had some good instructors who could explain what was going on.

One thing to remember when adjusting the bcd is you have some inertia in the water, so inflating or deflating it won't have an immediate effect. If you're sinking and inflating the bcd you'll sink a little bit more before you stop, depending on how deep you are. And putting a finger against something to control yourself isn't the end of the world. :)

Swimming angled up is a common new diver issue as well (and why we lovingly call new divers seahorses). When you feel like you're swimming horizontally you're probably not, and when you feel like you're struggling to look straight ahead is when you're actually horizontal.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
OWC in Iceland? Braver than I that's for sure.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

Trivia posted:

OWC in Iceland? Braver than I that's for sure.

To be fair, the diving companies basically all have access to pools here - There's multiple swimming pools in each municipality and I believe most of them are only too happy to let dive companies use them since they're generally not run for-profit.

My main concern with diving back home is that, while amazing and accessible, places like Silfra aren't super exciting for me. I'm really keen on diving sites like Strýtan but they're insanely cold and visibility can be dreadful - So I think I'll have to find some bravery for those! I think there's an insane amount of life in Icelandic waters that just doesn't get talked about much at all, and I'd love to see it.

It may seem too much too soon, but it's the main reason I'm keen on underwater photography - So many of the animals around here don't have proper photos of them, only sketches or pictures of bycatch. That's something I think would be valuable to rectify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

KFJ posted:

To be fair, the diving companies basically all have access to pools here - There's multiple swimming pools in each municipality and I believe most of them are only too happy to let dive companies use them since they're generally not run for-profit.

My main concern with diving back home is that, while amazing and accessible, places like Silfra aren't super exciting for me. I'm really keen on diving sites like Strýtan but they're insanely cold and visibility can be dreadful - So I think I'll have to find some bravery for those! I think there's an insane amount of life in Icelandic waters that just doesn't get talked about much at all, and I'd love to see it.

It may seem too much too soon, but it's the main reason I'm keen on underwater photography - So many of the animals around here don't have proper photos of them, only sketches or pictures of bycatch. That's something I think would be valuable to rectify.

Today there was a slight breeze on the boat and all the instructors were saying it was cold.

I live in Thailand lol