Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Anyone know of a dive computer that can simultaneously display both meters and feet? I think in metric but the locals dive in feet and if I want to switch to feet my suunto zoop switches to Fahrenheit. And the depth pressure sensor broke so I need to repair or replace it. Anyone know of something that can display meters/feet/Celsius all at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I was out at one of my regular spots this evening, swimming along at ~60 ft or so when in the distant gloom I see what might be a white bucket? but there isn't usually a bucket in this spot...

I go over to check it out, it is indeed a white 5 gallon bucket with a couple of holes cut into its sides. It's packed tight with HUGE dungeness crabs. I popped the top and they seethe out, exactly as pissed as you would imagine. No good deed goes unpunished though: the bucket was slightly buoyant and its handle was missing, I had to awkwardly carry it around for 20 minutes until I got back to the entry and through my deco stop. 5/5 dive overall, vis was good and a couple of very curious dogfish came quite close.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone dropped their catch bucket? Good job releasing them and cleaning up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DreadLlama posted:

Anyone know of a dive computer that can simultaneously display both meters and feet? I think in metric but the locals dive in feet and if I want to switch to feet my suunto zoop switches to Fahrenheit. And the depth pressure sensor broke so I need to repair or replace it. Anyone know of something that can display meters/feet/Celsius all at the same time?

My Vyper Novo can switch, and Suunto has a trade-in program.

(It's actually how I ended up with mine; I traded in a broken Zoop that MrsYenko had kicking around for a ~$150 discount.)

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

ploots posted:

freedom for crabs

karmic balance has been restored. This morning I couldn't get a parking spot within two blocks of the first dive site I went to. Or the second. But at the THIRD there was plenty of parking. A couple of people had finished their dives when I got there, but thankfully the didn't kick up the bottom too bad. And all the delay driving around meant my timing was just right to meet up with a little baby sixgill shark. They spent two minutes curiously circling me before swimming off.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

MrYenko posted:

My Vyper Novo can switch, and Suunto has a trade-in program.

(It's actually how I ended up with mine; I traded in a broken Zoop that MrsYenko had kicking around for a ~$150 discount.)

Thank you for the information. Do you remember when you did your trade-in? The website says the trade-in program expired in October 2016.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DreadLlama posted:

Thank you for the information. Do you remember when you did your trade-in? The website says the trade-in program expired in October 2016.

Whooooooops I need to look at dates on things. :v:

I traded mine probably just before that cut-off.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I did Intro to Tech over the weekend. I found it pretty challenging to be honest but mostly around the valve drills. I found it really hard to get a good grip on my left handle and the manifold handle, right was difficult but not too bad.

I also had a couple of minor run away ascents which weren’t much fun, twins felt a lot more twitchy when it came to buoyancy than I was expecting. I really need to get something to shrink my dry suit boots down a bit, floaty feet is always in the back of my mind which I don’t think is a good thing.

The rest of the drills were mostly ok and I was pretty happy with my DSMB launches. Looking back I’m happy to have done it but given I was on the fence about delving into tech anyway I don’t think I’ll be rushing.

My instructor did mention side mount solves the valve drill issues at the end of the course as a bit of a joke but that did perk my interest a bit!

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
My partner and I each went through a floaty feet phase in the first year we had drysuits. In the end it was user error, not something that could be solved by gear. They tried ankle weights, which were good enough to get by but didn't solve the problem in a meaningful way. We were putting too much air in our suits, so any amount of ascent meant a LOT of gas expansion which meant a LOT of floatiness. My approach now is to only put air in the suit when I feel a bit of squeeze. I find that keeps the balloon suit in check.

It's probably mostly down to familiarity - keep using the suit and you'll figure it out, there are a bunch of little tricks you'll discover. It's easy to miss a bit of floatiness if you're kicking constantly. Straighten your legs and push your feet down a couple of times during the ascent to move the air out, etc etc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

My instructor did mention side mount solves the valve drill issues at the end of the course as a bit of a joke but that did perk my interest a bit!
I hear you on the valve drill. I'm pretty inflexible to begin with, and doing a valve drill under water when you're cold and wearing a bulky dry suit can be a pain.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ploots posted:

My partner and I each went through a floaty feet phase in the first year we had drysuits. In the end it was user error, not something that could be solved by gear. They tried ankle weights, which were good enough to get by but didn't solve the problem in a meaningful way. We were putting too much air in our suits, so any amount of ascent meant a LOT of gas expansion which meant a LOT of floatiness. My approach now is to only put air in the suit when I feel a bit of squeeze. I find that keeps the balloon suit in check.

It's probably mostly down to familiarity - keep using the suit and you'll figure it out, there are a bunch of little tricks you'll discover. It's easy to miss a bit of floatiness if you're kicking constantly. Straighten your legs and push your feet down a couple of times during the ascent to move the air out, etc etc.

That is my usual approach to the point where the time before this on a diving trip I had bruised shoulders as I had too much squeeze! However when doing the valve drill my instructor said put a bit more air in to free up my arms which then meant I had too much…

Frustrating!

I do wonder if a different suit would help both of these issues though. My D7 has a big ring for the neck which does restrict reach behind a bit and it’s one size too big so the boots are quite roomy.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Assuming you've got banded twins, I found moving the bands down a little bit massively helped me as the valves were about half an inch too low for me. I do typically have to adjust this again every time they get serviced.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I did GUE's Tech 1 class and was stoked to dive on the tech charters that the local GUE club does. Turns out they require a scooter.

I really shouldn't be as bummed out as I am, but I am.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Sounds like an excuse to buy yourself something nice!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

Sounds like an excuse to buy yourself something nice!

Yeah, no.

Adding a scooter to all the other poo poo seems like a hilariously terrible idea. Plus the $$$$$

I'm pretty anti-scooter in general. Comparing scooter diving vs. normal diving, at least the way I see people do it here, seems like comparing cruising down a trail on a motorcycle vs. taking a slow stroll through the woods.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
It took 27 dives at the site where I'd heard you could find them, but I finally saw a stubby squid. sorry about the fuzzy shot, it's impossible to tell focus from a tiny gopro screen

the image is larger than life size :kimchi:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ploots posted:

the image is larger than life size :kimchi:

loving adorable.

Last two times I've been to Aruba, I did a night shore dive at Tres Trapis. A shallow dive, but both dives were chock full of cephalopods! Including several baby octopusses, one about the size of my thumb. Great stuff!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, I've finally outgrown my dive computer. I've only done a little research, but basically it looks like it comes down to spending $1100 on either a Scubapro, an AquaLung, or a Shearwater.

I'm sort of leaning towards Scubapro, but only because my reg set is Scubapro. Anyone have any good reasons for one brand over the other?
As for my diving, I don't do any tech diving. I do use different nitrox mixes, but I stay within recreational limits.

EDIT:
The only new feature that I need is a big bright LED screen, I'm starting to have trouble reading my old, unlit LCD computer. Old age sucks.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I have a Shearwater Perdix and I'm very happy with it. Easy to read. Configurable. Doesn't have a bunch of built-in restrictions (doesn't lock you out, you can change mixes whenever, etc.).

I know there's a Perdix 2, so I'd look for a cheap used Perdix 1 since I can't imagine wanting it to do anything more.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Lots of ppl like the Peregrine for its big color display.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I have a perdix 2 and I really like it. Easy to swap the battery, nice big color screen, configurable if you like that sort of thing and good defaults if you don't. Getting around their menus with 2 buttons isn't too bad. The shearwater dive log app is fine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, I'm convinced, Shearwater it is.

But I'm down to ONE local dive shop (don't ask), and they aren't a Shearwater dealer.
Should I drive over an hour to my closest dealer, or just buy online?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I do NOT like that modern computers are rechargeable... those old school disc batteries were really reliable!

But I get it, big pretty screens suck a lot of amperage.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, I'm convinced, Shearwater it is.

But I'm down to ONE local dive shop (don't ask), and they aren't a Shearwater dealer.
Should I drive over an hour to my closest dealer, or just buy online?

I wouldn't buy safety equipment through Amazon, but I'd be comfortable using diverightinscuba or a similar site.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ploots posted:

diverightinscuba

And dive gear express have supplied 99% of our gear including my shearwater

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

New computer is awesome, love it. Everything is in the right place, and I like the alerts.
AI is new to me, and it's nice to have everything on one screen.

---

In Curacao, staying at the All West Apartments in West Punt. The reefs are devastated, its brutal. Almost every kind of coral is bleached, some with spots of life, but many just pure white all over. Even if they aren't white, all the colors on the reef are wrong. When I went down for my first dive, my first response was anger, like, why would you take me to a dead reef? Of course, I immediately realized that they were ALL like this. The Great Bleaching is upon is.

I did the Superior and double reef yesterday, IMO two of the best dives on the island, and I was hoping that the deeper stuff would be spared, but no, that's all dead too. It will come back, but how many more times?

The skipper on the dive boat was literally crying when we talked about it, "oh, I've seen this happen before, for a few days, maybe a week... but never for this long, and this time it isn't one of reefs, it's all of them!"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I hate how few parrot fish you see feeding, the reefs are oddly quiet without the background crunching and munching of hundreds of parrot fish.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Man that sounds depressing as gently caress.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How long until Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is all bleached?

patoots
May 1, 2005

Squashy Nipples posted:

In Curacao, staying at the All West Apartments in West Punt. The reefs are devastated, its brutal. Almost every kind of coral is bleached, some with spots of life, but many just pure white all over. Even if they aren't white, all the colors on the reef are wrong. When I went down for my first dive, my first response was anger, like, why would you take me to a dead reef? Of course, I immediately realized that they were ALL like this. The Great Bleaching is upon is.

I did the Superior and double reef yesterday, IMO two of the best dives on the island, and I was hoping that the deeper stuff would be spared, but no, that's all dead too. It will come back, but how many more times?

The skipper on the dive boat was literally crying when we talked about it, "oh, I've seen this happen before, for a few days, maybe a week... but never for this long, and this time it isn't one of reefs, it's all of them!"

That sucks to hear, I stayed at All West this August and didn't find it too bad. South Florida last month comparably had some of the saddest reefs I can imagine, so maybe it's just the beating the whole Caribbean took these last few months.

FWIW I found boat diving oostpunt (with Dive Charter Curacao) to have far and away the best reefs on the island with maybe Playa Jeremi the best shore accessible one, in case you haven't checked those out yet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

patoots posted:

That sucks to hear, I stayed at All West this August and didn't find it too bad. South Florida last month comparably had some of the saddest reefs I can imagine, so maybe it's just the beating the whole Caribbean took these last few months.

Biscayne National Park just posted some coral pics from reefs I used to dive on when I worked there, they’re some of the saddest pics I’ve ever seen :(

e: the other team in my section there was working on reef restoration and marine debris removal, and part of that included treatment for Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD, “skittled”). They had actually been making progress against SCTLD and new coral propagation with UM and NOAA.

“Had” :smith:

Biscayne’s instagram posted this a few days ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0xPYj5JHBx/?igshid=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw==

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 13, 2023

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They're really lovely thing, is that is only part two.

I've been lucky this year, I'll have been on three vacations, one each to each of the ABC islands. I like the ABC Islands. My dive club did their long delayed (due to covid) trip to Bonaire, I'm currently in Curacao, and over the summer, My buddy's wedding got canceled, and I spent my airline credits taking us on a bender in Aruba.

When I was in Bonaire, they were several months into a new epidemic of Stony Coral tissue lost disease, it affects the hard corals, and it looks like it's rotting, like a rot spot on an apple. They were really panicky, because they had instituted a system where you had to soak all of your gear and bleach when you came up from a dive, even all the dive boats had bleach buckets ready to go. That's the one thing they tell you never to do, bleach your gear, so I knew they were scared.. they also had zones to set up, so if you dove in a green zone you can dive in a red zone, but not the other way around. Trying to keep it contained. They were so desperate, that they had people out there smearing antibiotics on the corals. So that was bad, but at least they were desperately trying to do something about it.

And then I went to Aruba. They have the disease all over, but they were total denial about it. We're doing a loving thing.

I don't think I've seen the disease in Curacao, but it's hard to tell when the reefs are just this dead.

Edit: post above has more information about this disease, I missed it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

poisonpill posted:

How long until Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is all bleached?

Oh, you’ve probably got until at least 2004.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

patoots posted:

FWIW I found boat diving oostpunt (with Dive Charter Curacao) to have far and away the best reefs on the island with maybe Playa Jeremi the best shore accessible one, in case you haven't checked those out yet.

Aw man, that makes me sad. I have been doing fish research projects mostly out of Westpunt for almost two decades now but haven't been back in a few years. I have a lot of great memories underwater there, and then I also have this one. Looking back I can't recall whether that was Playa Jeremi or Kleine Knip but it was one of those two.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Aw man, that makes me sad. I have been doing fish research projects mostly out of Westpunt for almost two decades now but haven't been back in a few years. I have a lot of great memories underwater there, and then I also have this one. Looking back I can't recall whether that was Playa Jeremi or Kleine Knip but it was one of those two.

Well, if makes you feel any better, it was healing; the time I left, it looked a *little* bit better.

Just don't go late dry/early wet season like I did.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Trig Discipline posted:

My partner is also an instructor and she had to poo poo in her (almost new) wetsuit due to terrible diarrhea. She made it through 95% of the dive with customers and then lost it when doing the safety stop on the mooring line.

Legend.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My dive club does an annual "River Run". At the peak of fall folliage, we put our wetsuits and fins on, jump in the river with a bunch of coolers and float down to the marina. Since much drinking and nonsense is involved, there are legendary stories about guys having "blowouts" in their wetsuits... and occasionally, dry suits.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Any recommendations for a dive operator in Mazatlan? Heading down there for the solar eclipse. Thanks! :cheers:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

First post-Covid dive was today, at my local aquarium. I work in a remote place during the summer and am on the road for most of fall, so timing is always a bit rough (and has been since 2020)…but managed to get back on the dive schedule at the aquarium here, at least until I head back to a little remote beach town next month.

I missed it, and didn’t realize how bad I was missing it. Got almost an hour of bottom time, split between brushing fake corals and interacting with guests. Had more than a few people line up to get pics with me in the background, lots of smiling faces, overall a great day :unsmith:

Fake e: the green sea turtle there was all over me at one point, dude kept buzzing me and almost headbutted me at one point :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

In Boston, if you want to dive the tank, you have to join a special benefactor society for the aquarium, and then there is a lottery for slots.

A young woman from my dive club got an internship there, and dove the tank 75 times in 2 months. She made friends with the Myrtle and the octopus. I am forever jealous.