Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Merry Christmas!

My early Christmas gift from my dad (Aqualung Titan LX Regulator w/ octo) and from me (Suunto D4i) are sitting in my gear bag, waiting for either warmer climates or warmer weather to go diving

Because gently caress diving Ontario lakes in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

Or drunks. Don't forget us drunks

Yup. Saw some of that on Koh Tao. People that drank way too much the night before, got in the water and suddenly there's a nasty little cloud around them.

Guess it's like getting the traveller's shits underwater.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Finch! posted:

Don't dive with Simple Life because their boat captains are wankers and anchor where they know they shouldn't and ruin coral nurseries with anchors :argh:

I heard about this! Why the gently caress did he drop anchor when there was a mooring line right there? Stupid son of a bitch.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress do you have to do to get BANNED from THAILAND, of all places? Murder a convent full of elderly nuns?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

eviljelly posted:

I don't even wear a wetsuit. Boardshorts + rashguard 4 lyfe~

EDIT : In Thai waters, I mean. I would rather just not dive if the water was cooler than 23C or so.

I dove shorts and rashguard on Koh Tao.

3mm shorty wetsuit in Kauai, everyone thought I was nuts and was using 6mm fulls in february, I was fine.

I'm sure I'll be doing 6mm full once I start diving Tobermory this summer. But I prefer rashguard.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Oceanic Shadow fo lyfe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Of course, try a shitload of masks and get the one that fits best. I have a very fat face and the Shadow fits it awesomely. Seems to fit narrow faces pretty well too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I set my DC to scream at me if I come within 2m of my nitrox hard limit. gently caress oxygen toxicity.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Holy poo poo. That footage is loving amazing. I'm pretty sure I would poo poo myself in glee if I ever saw a pod of humpbacks just loving around while I was diving.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I will never dive without a computer again. Makes it SO much easier.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Barracuda are awesome. And delicious.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I did it in this order:

Mask/Snorkel
Fins/Boots(because full-foot rental fins give me the WORST blisters)
Dive Computer
Rashie (because I was diving in tropical water and didn't need anything else)
BCD
Regulator

Still need a wetsuit, but I'm gonna wait until I lose more weight to pick that up.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Trivia posted:

It's even better when you can get your face 10 inches from something and stare it down.

Did that with a solitary clownfish one of my last dives. They're aggressive little things!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hahahahaha diving in Korea. Lots of black rock and no fish and REALLY lovely Korean divers.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

I don't want to mention that because I'm trying to be POLITICALLY CORRECT. But they ate all their fish and they'll shoot you for diving past 7pm here. So Honduras sounds good by comparison. Otherwise I'm stuck teaching English to 12-year-olds forever.

I quit doing that last August. Fun for a while but it got old (and all my friends left and Mokpo became a ghost town)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

Oh I know Koh Tao. It's awesome. But I can't go back to Thailand for reasons I don't care to go into. I'm more interested in the Caribbean now.

I agree about Koh Tao teaching efficiency. It was 4 dives, (5 with night) every single day for 2 months doing my DMT. It's a fantastic lifestyle. I'm not normally a morning person, but getting up at 6am to go swimming about in the ocean was the best thing ever.

gently caress Thai immigration policy though.

It's weird that I look forward to the times in my future when I'll be laid off, because I know I'll be able to grab my gear bag, hop on a plane and go back to Koh Tao. My friend I was travelling with didn't like it because there wasn't enough party. I loved it for exactly that reason.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Finch! posted:

Pretty good if you're not an idiot. There are tons of DM's there but not very many great DM's. It's not uncommon to have freelance DM's with gigs at five or so places. Bonus points if you're a competent videographer, too.

That's what a friend of mine does, and she's an OUTSTANDING DM. I know she DMs with New Way and Big Blue.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Finch! posted:

If you meet Shep - can't miss her, she looks like a pixie - please pass on something like "Finch's ears are still bigger!" It might blow her mind to hear that losing a bet has followed her across continents and hemispheres...

What's her name?

There are a lot of great freelance DM's but the long term outstanding guys get snaffled up for full time gigs fairly quickly.

Also, check out the South East Asia thread for a video of Songkran on Koh Tao...

Meghan. Little Aussie chick that I swear was born with a regulator.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Finch! posted:

I've known Meghan for years. She's cool. A little quirky but you're right - she is a brilliant DM.

Yup, quite quirky. But awesome too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

pupdive posted:

What makes a brilliant DM?

Extremely competent, very knowledgeable in regards to the dive sites and wildlife in the area. Willing and able to help the not-so-good divers become better divers and most importantly keeping their divers SAFE underwater. No taking risks, or diving beyond the limits of the divers.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

There was a boat captain in Koh Tao that apparently dropped anchor right onto the reef. With a tie-off line right next to him.

Nobody knows why he did it. And then he dragged anchor.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Leak as in a few bubbles?

Or leak as in "oh poo poo I could breathe from that"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Tobermory! Ontario diving goon? I'm hoping to make my first trip up there in the next month or so.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Oxygen is toxic below 6m, I think you mean compressed air that has a partial pressure of .21 at sea level :P

NO DUH HUMANS BREATHE OXYGEN

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Hostility much? I am just explaining the gas mechanics.. oxygen breathed beyond deco purposes is likely lethal... You know the whole physics and physiology thing :)

Oh slicer I was just kidding, we were mocking bad divers that know nothing, like ones that think we breathe oxygen at sea level.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jeju has ok diving if you like black volcanic rock and no fish.

Take this from another waygook; get on an air Asia flight to Thailand, Gulf of Andaman owns.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

macado posted:

Tell the Chinese or Japanese that they cure impotence or restore vitality and they'll be gone within a generation or two.

I'm sorry I think you meant, a month or two.

Just tell them it's "good for male stamina".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hey, anyone ever done diving in Bermuda? A local dive shop is organizing a trip on a week-long liveaboard (Blackbeard's) and it seems like a hell of a deal. What's the diving like?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I have the Titan LX, it's a fine reg. Haven't dived on it in nearly 2 years though.

Ugh I need to get to Tobermory this summer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Any of you guys have recommendations for live-aboards or dive resorts in the Caribbean or Central America? I'm in desperate need of a dive vacation but I'll be going solo. Quality of diving is much more important than amenities for me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah probably should have given more detail.

I'm not looking for 5 star anything, my last big diving foray was several years ago in Koh Tao. I have AOW/Nitrox/Wreck but I'm rather out of practice so I'd prefer not to go crazy advanced right away. Beautiful sea life, reefs or dolphins would be really cool. I'm ok with sharks (even after some loving rear end in a top hat bull sharks made me nearly poo poo my pants at Sail Rock) and my budget is...well, let's just say limited.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Why are you hiding out here and not asking me in the hamilton thread?

We just did a western carribean cruise and with Princess. We visited Grand Cayman, Roatan (Honduras) and Cozumel. Diving in Cozumel was the best and operator was the best (blue magic).

Anyways, cheapest is probably to do a 7 day cheapo bargain basement carnival cruise for $500 and do the shore excursions for ~$100 a day. I'm planning on going feb 2016 to eastern/southern carribean (st thomas, barbados, st lucia, st kitts, st maartan.

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/7...16&embkCode=SJU

Alternatively you can look in to blackbeard cruises for a week-long live aboard for $1,000.

Um because I had no idea you were a diver! How that never came up in drunken conversation is a surprise to me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

That's really cool. I'd love to have something like that just to practice and fool around in. And that mineral water sounds neat as hell, water temperature is thought to affect onset of nitrogen narcosis, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Gear question:

I haven't been diving for a few years now and my gear (BCD, reg) have been collecting dust. They were only used for about a dozen dives and purchased new. Should I get maintenance done on the reg, change out o-rings and the such, or are they gonna be fine?

(I know it's life-support equipment, I honestly don't know what the decay on those o-rings are like)