Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I've read though the thread over the last few weeks, and it's great. I did a (very) little bit of diving years ago but never got certified or anything. I saw how nice you all were to the earlier guy writing a piece on diving, and I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me along the same lines.

I'm writing a story that involves diving in relatively shallow water (<30 feet, though this number is not important and can be adjusted for the narrative). Two relatively experienced divers (but not professionals) are making a few trips to the bottom to pick up packages of gold weighing around 30 lbs each, and then returning to a boat on the surface. This is an illicit operation by amateurs, so no winches or submersibles are in play.

From what I gather, diving up and down at that depth, assuming you aren't staying submerged for long periods of time, wouldn't cause much in the way of decompression issues. Am I wrong?

On the other hand, if one diver were to stay on the bottom for 20-30 minutes or so while the other goes up and down, would the one on the bottom have issues if he needed to ascend quickly due to an emergency?

Finally I know sound travels well under water. From about what distance would you expect to hear a smaller motor boat tearing along at full speed?

Would 30 lb packages be difficult--but not impossible--to bring up?

I've researched this but it's always good to talk to people who know what they are talking about. Any other issues that you can think of that would pop up for this kind of work?

Anyway thanks for reading my dumb questions. I'll go back to looking at pictures of sharks and stuff. Great thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for all the input about recovery!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Well that backfired!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Many years ago I went through PADI open water but dropped it after my first certification dive. I just got back from Cayman where I did a bunch of snorkeling and I really regret not finishing…so I want to get back into it.

I read the first 20 pages of the thread and am still reading, and I read up on the subject other places online, but all other things being equal (instruction quality, dive shop reputation) between SSI and NAUI certification is one more advisable? I’d just like to be confident I know what I’m doing so I can do easy diving on vacations, but I’d like to be able to progress if I can.

The closest PADI shops are about 45 minutes away so probably will go with SSI or NAUI. Thanks!

(E. Im sure this question is probably asked a dozen times in here so apologies in advance…)

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 20, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah that much is made very clear. And so is the difference between PADI and NAUI, not so much SSI.

It seems SSI is more like PADI in terms of what you’re taught. Is the cert also more recognized internationally? Keeping in mind the thread is over 10 years old at this point, is that really an issue for NAUI anymore?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

At the end of last summer I went through all my SSI training (classroom, pool) but I couldn't fit a checkout dive into my schedule before the local shop stopped for the winter. They're starting back up and have two checkout weekends in April and May, but I'm traveling to Costa Rica in early June and wondering about getting certified there (and doing some diving).

I see a few SSI shops around where I'll be (Papagayo) but I'm wondering how much of a logistical problem this might be. Has anyone done this (training in the US, then cert dive overseas), particularly with SSI? Thanks for any advice.

Jato posted:

Anyone have suggestions for dive shops and/or worthwhile dive sites in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area?

I got PADI certified about 6 months ago in Mexico and have only done a handful of dives, and my buddy is a lot more experienced than I but hasn't done any diving for a couple years. We're flying down to St. Pete in two weeks to spend a few days with the intention of just doing some chill, easy dives to make sure we're both comfortable with everything and with diving together before we plan a more exciting dive trip. We were also trying to decide if it's worthwhile to rent or charter a boat or just get some recommendations from a shop for where to go dive off the beach.

Looks like you did something similar with PADI--how did it work for you?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

MrNemo posted:

Haven't done this myself and no experience of SSI but as long as you have some proof that you've done the initial training, a lot of places will be perfectly happy to do the practical element/open water dives. They might require you do a bit of a check out in a pool or similar beforehand just to confirm you haven't forgotten anything or had an incompetent instructor.

In general, be safe and contact the place ahead of time to make sure they're happy to do that.

I decided I was better off finishing up with the local shop and I’m very glad I did. Them having all my paperwork and equipment and knowing me and how I did in the class/confined dives made everything very comfortable and friendly. It’s a good group of instructors and spending two days of my vacation in another country exhausting myself doing five dives with a new instructor would have sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

As Kipling said (and my profile quotes) we have fed our sea for a thousand years
And she calls us, still unfed