Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

blackguy32 posted:

Have you ever been diving in murky water before? That always creeps me out when you look underwater and can only see 5 feet in front of you.

5 feet of visibility would be a great dive for me :smith:

I do underwater inspection (bridges mostly) as part of my job, and end up in <1 ft of vis quite often. Sometimes this is enough, and I can press my face plate/light up against whatever I want to get a look at. In a lot of the locations I work, the water is too silty or muddy and I have to play Helen Keller. I've learned how to feel my way around structures and estimate distances. Catfish scare the hell out of me sometimes, they like to sit in places I need to poke around in. It's not too bad. I'm usually in creeks or bayous, so the pictures in this thread are making me jealous.

A good day for me is when the bridge span is on a lake, with 30+ feet of vis and surface light down past 40 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Bishop posted:

I'd be curious to know what type of light you use. Also since you say "face plate" I'm assuming your doing hard hat diving? Surface supplied gas or do you carry it with you?

My go-to light is a UK SL-6 LED that I found in a lake years ago. If we are filming, we have a nice surface fed LED that is part of our camera system. Depending on the conditions and client's requirements, I do hard hat diving or buddy diving with the interspiro AGA mask. The hard hat dives include anything below 100ft, contaminated water and penetrations, though we often use surface supplied gear much shallower. With the mask, we dive 80s with a pony bottle. Either way, we have comms to one another and the surface as well as back up air.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Bishop posted:

if it works it works! plus why be dumb and risk something expensive when a cheap (free in your case) light gets the job done.

Bingo. I'm a lot less "attached" to my gear than I used to be. I'm using my dive kit 10x more than I used to, and stuff gets destroyed even with normal use. Wetsuits are consumables, as are the coveralls I put over them to extend their life. Gloves and fins wear out more quickly if we're working in salt water with oysters or barnacles. Stuff gets dropped off the boat or the truck, crushed under the team's pelican cases, or lost. I try to strike a balance between quality and cost. Used gear is usually a great deal because it's going to get the poo poo beat out of it anyway.

I still use what I consider quality where it matters. I have a scubapro mk25 for the AGA mask, as well as a backup set (mk25/s600) paired with a Suunto computer for vacation. We service a lot of our hard hats in-house with trained techs, and all our life support gear is inspected and serviced regularly. Which brings me back to the dive light... as you said, it works well for my application. I lust for an OMS rechargeable can light just like anyone who's gotten to play with one, but I'd be pissed if it got swept away in a high flow inspection like my brand new fin last month.

Besides, if its muddy as hell, I can't see no matter what light I'm using :v:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

SlicerDicer posted:

I suspect if you were using a rebreather you would be more careful with your gear.

Don't get me wrong, I don't intentionally destroy things and I don't like spending money replacing broken gear. I do use comparatively expensive equipment. A Kirby Morgan hard hat runs north of $6000 new these days. I can't comment on how I'd treat a five figure rebreather, though. I have no firsthand knowledge of their durability.

e: removed unnecessary stuff... I'm tired and my flight is delayed. I get what you're saying, but you can't really compare a Corvette and a tractor.

I'll try and post some dive photos when I'm back home in a couple weeks.

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 20, 2012

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Mind blown.

What type of rebreather? Do you do your own maintenance, or get it done through a shop? What are the maintenance intervals like?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Bishop posted:

The key is to not think the DIR way is the only way.

Yep. The problem is, some of their divers make the assertion that because they are "Doing It Right" then I must be doing it wrong.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I was fortunate enough to be working on the island of Oahu last week, and of course I went diving during my free time. The wreck photos are from the M/V Mahi and the turtle was seen during a freediving trip to Shark Cove.

Awesome visibility

Spotted eagle rays

Yours truly. I dove my Interspiro AGA, and it was nice to have comms on a recreational dive for a change

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

itsmalarky posted:

Anyone have any experience diving in New England?

I'm in New Hampshire and have always wanted to get certified, but don't know if it will be worth it...I don't know anyone who does it around here. I know there are dive shops, though.

The water is going to be cold, but you should definitely suck it up and go! I was diving in Portsmouth, NH for work last summer and managed to squeeze in some for-fun dives at a state park. Awesome vis (at least for me) and lobsters everywhere. You should give it a shot

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Checking in from Lake Erie. I'm diving here in December because my boss hates me Hurricane Sandy did a number on some breakwater and bulkhead structures. My gauges show water temps in the low 40F range and surface temps starting in the low 30's. The bottom material adjacent to this old factory outflow smells like rot and petroleum, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the dead fish. Thank heaven for drysuits. All the gear was frozen into a twisted shape this morning and had to be thawed out just enough to don it. I busted a BCD already and I'm in a generally foul mood.

I've been in worse water and sea states. Vis is decent (2ft, :D) and it isn't salt. Still, the cold takes the diving to a whole different level of suck. I'm definitely jealous of the diving photos posted lately!

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Crunkjuice posted:

Heres the segment. The whole thing is pretty interesting and worth the watch, but the diver part starts at about 5:50. The dive supervisor mentions going past 30 meters, and i guess what she said isn't technically wrong. It sounds like she's saying max depth, but she says "they have 5 minutes to get from 40 feet to get into the chamber". Not the clearest

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137223n

It sounds like they are operating on surface decompression tables (sometimes referred to as Sur-D O2). A dive supervisor might elect to use this method for the sake of safety. In the case of dangerous conditions or cold water, the diver completes a minimum of decompression while exposed in the open water. He is brought to the surface on an accelerated in-water decompression table then ascends directly to the surface from 40 feet (what the CBS story referred to). He is not technically decompressed yet... The diver then has 5 minutes to exit the water, get his gear off and get into a chamber where he will be blown back down to depth (usually 40 feet). He will then most likely take in pure oxygen through a mask in ten-minute intervals while being brought up to the surface. The number of intervals and time of decompression will vary based on his dive profile. If the diver were to break that 5-minute limit, he will incur extra decompression time.

This may sound crazy, but this kind of decompression is very common in offshore applications. It keeps the diver productive for the maximum amount of time, minimizes his exposure while surfacing, and keeps the diver warm and dry during longer decompressions. If there is a medical issue, he is already in the chamber.

E: yep, just watched this again. The divers have a max dive time allowed of 45 minutes to do whatever they are tasked with at depth. 40 feet is just their last in-water decompression stop, not their max depth.

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 17, 2012

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I support discussions that go beyond PADI-approved territory. A lot of tech diving is seen from the outside as the stuff of wizards. It is often homebrew rules, and I enjoy people pushing the limits and exploring techniques. As long as a diver is educating himself on the subject and being realistic about the risks he/she is taking, who cares?

Solo diving, deco diving, and even recreational diving within the RDL set by agencies are inherently risky activities that share the same territory as skydiving and mountain climbing. Things can happen that are completely outside the diver's control. It is the diver's responsibility to mitigate that risk with training and equipment to a level they are comfortable with. Lightning can still strike despite anything one does to assure otherwise. I'd like to think I'm careful with my own life, but I've still had DIR-level outrage leveled at me over my choice of wetsuit or kit.

The rules set by my company are very good. We usually only dive surface-supplied beyond 75ft. We have a chamber on site for any dive beyond 100ft. The divers have the ultimate discretion on wether or not to proceed in difficult conditions. Just have fun, and learn your limits. Heed the advice of your experienced peers.

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 19, 2012

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Crunkjuice posted:

how you got into commercial diving/the industry, that would be an awesome read.

I'll try and put something together this week if you're curious. My corner of the industry is pretty small and specialized, but I've got friends from all kinds of backgrounds within the "commercial" dive world. I'll try and dig up some horrifying good photographs to go with it.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Timett posted:

Anybody know anything about prescription masks? I need a new mask anyway and think it might be a better route for me than contacts.

I always dive with contacts. I never understood the appeal of a prescription mask or sunglasses, unless contacts were not an option at all. Its just an extra cost at that point. I did sell a few prescription masks when I worked at a dive shop years ago, and I can tell you they get really clunky the more correction is needed.

Re: full face masks, I use an Interspiro AGA for ~75% of my work. I need it mainly for wireless communications purposes, but it also mitigates the yuck factor for nasty/cold water. I would never trust one for truly contaminated water, but there are police and rescue units that do.

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 29, 2012

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I personally think its easier, but I already use contacts everyday. I know there are reasons some folks can't use them or choose not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Does anyone have a favorite outfitter on Maui they'd like to recommend? Preferably one who won't hassle me about my lack of recreational dives. I dive commercially and sometimes scuba shop folks like to start a pissing match. It wasn't a problem on Oahu, but you never know.

Also if there's a must-see site that a baby diver could visit, let me know! I want to take my fiancee out, but nothing too advanced.