Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Any advice on buying a dive mask with prescription lenses?

I used to have certification like 20 years ago. My equipment is old, and it was cheap to begin with. Now that I can afford nicer stuff I'd like to buy a mask. I'm not planning on doing any SCUBA, but I'm going on vacation and want to do some snorkeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bangkero posted:

what's your prescription? I bought the hydrooptix mask a few years ago and love it. They also sell regular Rx masks. http://hydrooptix.com/index2.html

Yeah, those look nice!!

Sphere Cyl. Axis
R -2.000 -1.250 180
L -1.750 -0.750 175

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gindack posted:

Hyrdo Optix is also what my optometrist recommended as well. If you wear contacts you may be able to get away with just wearing them while in your mask (what I do for diving). Also you may want to go into your LDS and see if they think the insertable lenses will work for your prescription levels, may save you a few bucks.

Yeah, that's what I used to do, too. But now that I'm older, my eyes are dryer, and they don't tolerate contacts as well as they used to. I'd rather get the lens built into the mask.

BTW the way, how serious are they about dive certification at resorts in foreign countries? I'm going to the Guanacaste region of Cost Rica. I doubt my certification is still good, but 10-20 feet of warm, clear water seems like a pretty safe dive to me. I'm sure I'll be happy with snorkling, but if they are lax about certs a dive will be tempting.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Have masks gotten smaller over time?

So, I went to all three of the big dive shops in the area, and I couldn't find a mask wide enough to fit my face (I have an enormous pumpkin head). I found a few that would hold a seal on my face, but my eyebrows were still under the silicon. Any advice?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

eviljelly posted:

Those fins are unusable as diving fins.

Yeah, dive fins are huge, a totally different breed.

Going to Costa Rica on Saturday! So excited, my first blue water in several years.

That said... weather report calls for a thundershower EVERY day. :(
When I planned this trip, everything I read said that the rainy season doesn't start until the END of May, so I'm feeling a little gypped. Am I wrong to assume that rain means poor visibility due lots of particles in the water?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

RE Scuba vs Snorkleing:

As someone who has snorkled on and off for 30 years, and scuba-ed for 20, you've got some crazy biases if you think one is fundamentally better then the other, they are totally different experiences. There is a time and place for both; I just came back from a trip where I did both, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything else.

RE equipment: bought a new mask and snorkel before my trip, love them both. "Dry" snorkels have always been a little gimicky, but I loving LOVE the modern purge/drain on the bottom, it takes very little effort to clear and works flawlessly. Also, I wish I had learned about the toothpaste trick sooner, it worked great!

But what happened to snorkeling fins? The ones I used to own were like maybe 6-9 inches longer then your foot? The dive outfitters gave me regular (long) fins for diving, but the fins provided by the resort for snorkeling were almost as long as dive fins, like three feet? You don't need that much propulsion for snorkleing, and it felt awkward to do the flutter-kick at the surface with that much fin. I ended up using the dolphin double-leg kick a lot, which I never used to do with snorkleing fins.

Oh, and to answer my original question from a few months back, yeah, the dive outfitters didn't care how old my diving certs were.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm on vacation in Curacao, and it has ruined me: I'll never go on a cold water dive again. The dive master wore a full wetsuit, but I just went in my swim trunks with no neoprene. After a brutal Boston winter, this water is like bath water to me, even at 50 feet.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oakland Martini posted:

On a long trip in Asia (currently in Krabi airport in Thailand) and finally had a chance to upload an amazing (I think) video of a flamboyant cuttlefish my girlfriend took a few weeks ago in Kapalai (near Sipadan) in Borneo. About 1:45 into the video we caught it (attempting to) feed which is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5NoVpsqeP4

Wow, that's quite a display!

I recently saw some cuttlefish while snorkling. There was wind and a few clouds, so I got to watch them change colors with the shadows. It was a lot more subtle then the flamboyant, though.

I just read this on wikipedia:

quote:

"They have an unusual biogeographic pattern: totally absent from the Americas, but present along the coasts of East and South Asia, Western Europe, and the Mediterranean, as well as all coasts of Africa and Australia."

What the hell? I was in the Caribbean, that counts as "Americas", right?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bangkero posted:

It was most likely a Caribbean reef squid and not a cuttlefish. Definitely not a flamboyant cuttlefish. Flamboyants crawl around the reef floor since their cuttlebone is too big for it to maintain buoyancy. Also there's no subtleness to their colour patterns (hence the name "flamboyant").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_reef_squid

Yeah, looked a lot like one of those pictures.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What's the goon opinion on Babby's First Dive Computer?

Amazon buyers seem to like this one: Cressi Leonardo Wrist Computer

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

asur posted:

If you frequently dive with someone it's not a bad idea to try and match computers or get one with a similar decompression algorithm so that you both have the similar NDL times. People seem to either love Sunnto or hate them. At a dive trip I was at last year there were a lot of complaints about the algorithm being overly conservative for multiple dives and penalties for being slightly outside the expected depth or cutting and SI slightly short.

That's a really good point, I hadn't thought of that.

I was thinking of buying that Cressi for myself for now, and then giving it to the woman for her open water training and buying myself another one. Do people still use console type computers, or is it all wrist based? Are those wireless pressure gauges any good? An air hose is such a simple, reliable thing, I can't imagine replacing it with electronics.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I dug out my old NAUI card, I found several equipment catalogs from 1993. I should scan a few pages for you guys, the computers look ridiculous. Some of them look like they might actually contain vacuum tubes.

Plus, neon-colored wetsuits were still popular.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone ever gone diving in Marsa Alam? Is the Egyptian coast safe to travel to these days?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A great link, thank you!

Ropes4u posted:

With the above in mind should I pick up the below before going to Bonaire.

3mm wetsuit (Florida / Caribbean)
Mask
Fins
Regulator

Since there is a literally no end to what one can spend on equipment, how about a set of dive computers? I might buy that before regulators and BCDs.

Also, whether you rent or buy the fins, definitely buy some dive boots; rental boots are gross, I caught a fungus from one once.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

fletcher posted:

I went spearfishing recently for the first time and managed to get bit by a sea lion a couple hours into it. Came out of nowhere and clamped down on my upper leg. Didn't break the skin much but tore up my wetsuit a bit and left a massive bruise. It was just startling more than anything, I was still able to stay out there and enjoy the rest of the day spearfishing (and had a blast).

Is that sort of thing common? I thought sea lions mostly left humans alone, I had never heard of anybody being bitten by one before.

From a few pages back, but someone sent me a link to this story. This guy wasn't diving, he was standing on a dock holding a fish, but it clamped down on his hand and dragged him under water in what looks like attempted murder.

I was nearly drowned by a sea lion

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Random conjecture, but maybe some people are more susceptible to the bends, just like some people are more susceptible to concussions?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pupdive posted:

A fair number of people also use Flonase (generic equivalent) but that is prescription.

Not anymore! Completely OTC in the USA now; I just bought a five-pack at CostCo.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this had a name! I figured this one out on my own many years ago on a plane trip, I thought I had invented it.

The valsalva is the only thing they taught me in my OW course.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I lied, apparently I bought a three pack with a limited-time-only extra bottle for free.

https://www.costco.com/Flonase%AE-Allergy-Relief-Nasal-Spray-50-mcg.%2C-360-Spray-Count.product.100129709.html

Looks like three bottles for $53.49

And that's brand-name, too; my prescription used to cost $26 for ONE bottle of generic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Are you sure that it's still only 62? It's August, should be warming up by now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bare minimum for taking the classes: mask, snorkel, boots (and a hood if you'll be in cold water). Having your own fins is great, but there are different styles/tastes, so it's OK to rent for a while. Rental boots are nasty, and hygiene wise it's also nice to have your own hood, too.

Last year I got a nasty case of this on my left foot from using rental boots in Costa Rica:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_versicolor

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, what is the appeal of a Liveaboard vacation? I get that it maximizes your dive time, but it just seems like... a crappy vacation. I feel like I'd get claustrophobic being on the boat for a week straight, and frankly, I really like hotel amenities like full-sized beds and full-sized toilets.

I'm not pissing on the concept, I just feel like I'm missing something here.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pupdive posted:

(Fun fact: other than treatment times, there are only gradual ascents in many/most chambers. Stops are something we as divers put into things because we tend to ascend at ridiculous rates, and have to add in stops to make the ascent rate average out to "not ridiculous".)

I've never heard it said that way. Mrs Squashy is going to start her Open Water training soon, I'll be sure to share this with her.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Amusingly enough this is a large component of why I'm not a tech diver. I'm an engineer, and the religious arguments about gear are insufferable.

As an ex-engineer, this is one of those things that I don't really miss.

Well, with the recent happenings in Egypt, there goes my plans for a vacation in Marsa Alam. :smith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Any of you guys ever get LASIK?

I had my eyes corrected on Monday, and I'm wondering how long I have to wait before I can wear my mask... 1 month? 2 months?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pupdive posted:

This is most definitely an ask your doctor question, but I know an instructor couple who got surgery for a dive trip, just before that dive trip. (1 week, roughly ).

I did, and he kind of bunted: "no exertion for two weeks. Salt water is good for eyes after two weeks, but stay out of pools, they are filthy".
I'm 5 days in now, and while my eyes are starting to feel great, diving after one week seems utterly insane.

jackyl posted:

wearing your mask is irrelevant, you should care about pressure and like pupdive said, DAN has had a lot of questions about this

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Diving_After_Lasik_Surgery

Great link, thanks!

However, wearing the mask is hardly irrelevant, I said it that way on purpose. While the pressure obviously depends on depth, suction is worse for your cornea flaps then pressure, so just taking your mask on and off for snorkeling/shallow dives is a risk.

SuitcasePimp posted:

There is also an alternative procedure out there, PRK. These don't cut a flap in your eyeball so they don't weaken the cornea. The recovery is worse than LASIK but for me it was worth it, just in case.
Theoretically this should be safer for diving... but I'm sure there are thousands of people diving every day that had LASIK and don't experience any issues.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Photorefractive_Keratectomy

Interesting! My clinic was very informative about the pros/cons of the two procedures, but that point never came up. Once they decided I was a good candidate for LASIK, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

jackyl posted:

e2: just looked at your posts, dude pay for DAN, worst case scenario you get a cool magazine every quarter

Thanks, I'll look into it. I do sort of miss printed magazines.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I shave my head, and sometimes I'd like a little warmth when the full hood isn't required.
How about one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Neoprene-Beanie-Black/dp/B0087ZUXXO/
http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Thinskins-Black-Large/dp/B0088043NO

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy did the first pool session for her open water last night.. and it went poorly. She kept panicking under water, and couldn't get her buoyancy right. She managed to pass all of the skills except for "take your mask off for a minute, then put it back on and clear it". For that one she kept getting water up her nose?

We were both totally shocked: she is a strong swimmer, she is super comfortable in the water, and I taught her how to snorkel on our last few trips to the Caribbean. Her instructors told her that what she was feeling is not uncommon, and that she actually did really well. When I think back to my open water training a thousand years ago, I don't remember having any trouble at all, I just got in the water and did all the skills.

So, dive instructors, how common is this in newbies? She really wants to dive, has wanted to since she was a little kid. So, she has the motivation, I'm wondering if she just needs more pool time to get used to it?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrNemo posted:

From my experience (far more limited than the professional instructors round here) it really isn't very unusual. Comfort in the water on the surface and desire to dive don't immediately equal being comfortable with a load of new equipment and a totally alien environment straight away. Things like mask clearing are something that people can find really awkward at first (this and regulator swapping are the two skills I've seen that cause people to panic and bolt for the surface most reliably). In terms of dealing with it, this was her first pool session in an alien environment with weird new equipment. If she was able to pass almost all of the skills then she actually did do really well. I would hazard a guess that if she's used to the water on the surface she may even be dealing with some ingrained habits regarding breathing and buoyancy that she's not even fully aware of that are making it harder, I don't have the experience or knowledge for that to be more than a pulled out of my rear end guess though.

In terms of improving, it sounds like she's got a decent base and motivation for it so I'd say just keep doing the pool sessions, getting more experience with being underwater and using the kit. I think it was pupdive or Bishop who said they get their students to keep the mask on at all times, which gets students used to having it on and helps people get used to not breathing through their nose too. Part of the all of this is the experience of some of the minor discomforts like getting water in your nose, it's not actually a problem you just keep breathing through your regulator and you can hack and cough all you like. If you're a surface swimmer or snorkeller though water in your nose is an issue as there isn't more air coming from anywhere. Natural instinct is to bolt for the nearest air source, the surface. It takes time to get comfortable and aware that your nearest air source is already in your mouth. If she's comfortable with her instructor just keep up with the pool sessions until she's happier. If she doesn't get any happier or more comfortable maybe try some different instructors.

That all sounds very reasonable, thank you.

After showing her this, she said she was most grateful for the following statement: "aware that your nearest air source is already in your mouth".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've been reading through the materials that came with Mrs. Squashy's SDI open water course, and holy poo poo, what an improvement over my old NAUI materials. Slickly produced, lots of good information, and it even came with a DVD.

One thing is confusing me from the Skills section... what the gently caress is a "Fin Pivot"? After reading the text, it sounds like... basic buoyancy control? Lay prone near the bottom, adjust your BCD, and watch as your breathing effects your buoyancy: I don't understand how the fins are involved.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pupdive posted:

The idea behind the "fin pivot" is the idea that new divers need to be in contact with the bottom to relax enough to notice the slight changes i buoyancy that come with breathing. A diver in some semblance of a dive pose might have their fins lightly touching the bottom and use that point of contact to lever up and down with.

The terminology of 'fin pivot' has been removed from the current materials for PADI for various reasons and is just called neutral buoyancy. Some of us never used the term, and never taught it. My Open Water students are not, and have never been allowed intentional contact with the bottom at any point in the class, except while walking in and out of the pool/ocean. Beyond that, straight legs are bad for diving, and the only way to do a fin pivot is with your fins in a non-diving position.

Ahhhh, an excellent explanation, thank you!

pupdive posted:

(As an instructor dealing with this situation often, let your wife take the class, and don't try and teach her things or evaluate her or her instructor. There is intentionally a set list of content for an open water class, for ....reasons.)

Oh don't worry, I'm not like that, I believe in letting professionals do their job! I mean, what else am I paying them for?

Basically, we watched the DVD together before the class started, and that's it. I was reading the textbook for my own curiosity.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm in Barbados, today i'm going divng for the first time since my LASIK. Totally pumped, going to see some turtles!

I went for a snorkle last night to test out my new fins, my first pair of modern vented fins. It requires a different motion! Not quite sure how to describe it, almost like I was using my foot muscles more... More of a rolling motion?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nope. Staying at the Hilton, so I went with the on-site dive shop, Barbados Blue. Great guys, I've had some excellent dives. Also, mostly very short travel times, the Hilton is right in the middle of some of the best dive sites on the island.

Today's first dive had some... anomalies. Nobody got hurt, and I want to discuss what happened, but not until I get home and can use a full sized keyboard.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Good recommendation! We did the fish fry on Tuesday night, it was awesome, and reasonably priced. In fact, the entire stretch of road between the Hilton and Oistens is chock full of great dining options. I may do a food write up in GWS.

Definitely an island worth renting a car on. The Bajan drivers have been very kind and considerate.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

jackyl posted:

Westpunt, Curaçao was good shore diving

Yeah, Westpunt is awesome. Lots of reefs right offshore. There are some houses you can rent that are right on limestone cliffs over the water, and you just walk down a staircase and jump in. I might do that when I go back to Curacao.

jackyl posted:

Three places we've seen them: Curaçao shore dive called Alice in wonderland, Belize hol chan marine park night dive and Barbados in that shallow bay with all the wrecks

E: also saw three sea horses in the same Barbados site

drat it, I've yet to see any octopus.

That site is Carlise Bay Marine Park, and it's awesome. Some fun wrecks in pretty shallow water, lots of critters. I did a night dive there, and the most interesting thing we saw was two worms loving. The guide said that the worms themselves were uncommon but not rare, and that he had never seen two together like that. They glowed a bit under UV, which was cool.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

About a month late, but trip report on Barbados:

Barbados was amazing! Soft, luscious sand that extends way out from the beaches. All that sand actually damages the visibility a bit, but the water is otherwise clear and blue and awesome.

We stayed at the Hilton, which turned out to be a great dive hotel: an excellent dive shop on premises, and close proximity to a wealth of great dive sites. The trips to the dive sites were so short, that the main dive boat didn't have a hull: it was one of those metal pontoon jobs with the flat deck. I dove with a couple of hardcore divers, whom I'll call M&A. They were great, lots of experience, well-equipped, and M had his Instructor cert. I learned a few good things from them.

Site highlights:

Carleynes (reef drift dive)
Pieces of Eight (reef drift dive)
Brianna wreck (2 year old wreck, went down with everything intact, LOTS of cool stuff to see)
Stavronikita Wreck (deep dive, my first to 100 ft, nice mix of stuff to see in/on the boat)
Carlise Bay Marine Park (shallow wrecks, tons of turtles and fish)

I ended up diving in the Marine park three times: it's a good second dive after a first deep dive, and we did a night dive there as well. I'm really glad I dove it in daylight first!

On the first day, in addition to M&A, there was a somewhat older gentlemen, whom we'll call R. R was doing his PADI advanced training, not long after getting his Open Water. He seemed nervous for some reason? Like before we even got on the boat. Hard for me to relate, because I'm never scared to jump in the water. M&A and myself were in one group, and R was in a second group with his own private DM. Anyway, there was a bit of current, so they put out a rope, and told R to jump in. He overshot the rope by look a foot, and holy poo poo, I've never seen a grown man panic like that. It was kind of scary. He was trying to swim towards the rope with his arms, like he had forgotten that he had legs and fins. The DM doing his training had to jump in and help him over to the rope. He finished both dives that day, but we didn't see him again on the boat for the rest of the week. I saw him in the executive lounge that night, and he still looked shaken.

And finally... the bad thing.
In retrospect, I think one of the divers took a small hit, and might have benefited from some O2. Things got a little tense on deck afterwards, so I took the blame because I didn't "stick with my buddy", but the truth is more complicated then that.

Thursday morning, I show up for the morning dive boat, and in addition to M&A, we've got a new guy, Mick. I had run into him in the bar the night before, and he was a guy from London who got to travel a lot for work. He shows up Thursday morning, in 100% brand new equipment that he had never used before. His equipment is also all metric/DIN, and his first temper tantrum of the day was because they didn't have a DIN adapter on the boat. And then we find out that he hadn't dove in over two years!

So, on the boat, it's been just M&A and myself all week, but now we have Mick, and 6 people from a cruise ship who didn't even bring their own masks. The divemasters had promised M&A and myself that we would be the Stavronikitia today, as sort of grand finale for our week. But once they get on board the boat, with only two DMs and bunch of newbs, the DMs start getting cold feet. Later one of them would tell me that they were most nervous about taking Mick on the deep dive. So, Mick throws an even BIGGER temper tantrum, because he wants to do the deep dive, and he doesn't want to go with the B squad. So, the DMs decide that one of them will take the newbs to a nearby reef, while the other one moors the boat to the wreck and takes us down, leaving the boat unmanned (which I think they really didn't want to do).

So, we are getting ready for the dive, and when the DM says that 700 lb is our low-air condition, it turns out that Mick doesn't know how to convert PSI to bars, which is what his gauge reads in. Also, without his glasses, he can't see his computer very well. But we jump in, go down the line, and start the dive. First part of dive goes great, no problems. The stern is just about at 100 feet, and I didn't feel any effects at that depth. After we've gone all the way around the ship, we start slowly spiraling up the main mast in the middle, which has become well reefed and is teeming with fish. It was beautiful, but also a bit turbid: once we were about 15 feet off the deck of the ship, I couldn't see it anymore.

And that's when Mick ran out of air. I mean, he had some left, but the DM took a look at his gauge and decided he needed to go up. I don't know how low Mick's air got, but I've still got 1300 PSI, and M&A are at about 1600. The DM later told us that he wanted to take Mick and myself back up the line (which is affixed to the bow of the wreck), and then come back to finish the dive with M&A. But as soon as he turns around to communicate this to the three of us (who are in close proximity), Mick (who is behind the DM, away from us) just loving bolts, completely disappearing into the turbidity. So, the DM is signing to us, and we all point back at where Mick had disappeared, and the DM takes off after him. We are at about 50 feet.

Ok, so this is when I should have stuck with my buddy: I should have gone after the DM, found Mick, gone up the line together, and done our safety stop together. Instead, I sat there and watched them disappear. My gut told me to stick with M&A.

So we kept on, slowly ascending around the mast. DM doesn't come back. We are near the top of the mast, at about 30 feet, and I sign to M that I'm down to 800 lbs, and it's time to go. He signals back to do our safety stop. So we ascend to 15 feet, huddle and wait. Just as A is getting out the inflatable marker buoy, the DM finally finds us. He motions for us to follow him, and he... brings us back down? (this looks weird on my dive log). I think he had lost the orientation of the wreck, and needed to see it to find the bow line. We get to the rope, go up to 15 feet, and DM motions for another stop. Except now I'm down to 400 PSI, so I switch to the DMs octo to complete the second safety stop. We get back on the boat, everything is OK. Mick is sitting there, and starts arguing with the DM. Apparently he didn't do his safety stop, as he lost buoyancy control, and surfaced way too fast. DM is accusing him of not pulling his dump valve.

Once that calmed down, I talked to the DM, and he told us that there was too much traffic in the area for it to be safe to use a buoy, so that's why he took us back to the rope.

I didn't realize it at the time, but Mick was definitely... off a bit after that. Eyes seemed a little glazed over, talked a little slow. Had some trouble keeping up with the group on the next dive, which was a super easy dive in the Marine Park.

A lot of lessons to be learned here, but I think the biggest one is to be more active in monitoring my buddies air.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Im a bit new so forgive me if this is stupid, but did you agree to be paired off with mick?

Implicitly, yes. During the dive briefing, the DM assigned us, and I didn't say anything. I should have inspected his equipment right then. It wasn't until the surface interval that he told me that he couldn't really see his computer. I don't know if he had an air-integrated computer or not, but he had a mechanical pressure gauge that read in bars.

Trivia posted:

Jesus Christ, I don't even know where to begin analyzing that clusterfuck.

I know, that's why it's taken me a few weeks to write it. It's interesting to see how my thoughts have changed a bit on reflection. I literally didn't realize how effected Mick got until like a week after I got home. The night it happened, I was having dinner with M&A, and they were complaining about how he was having trouble staying with us on the second dive, and how they saw me constantly looking around to find him, and yet none of us put it together then.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I am asking in order to learn from your adventure. Is it normal for strangers to be assigned as teams by the DM. Because if he didn't ask me and get my approval - nope.

It doesn't really work that way. I haven't had a regular dive partner since I did my OW back in 1993, so I'm used to getting paired with whomever, I've just never ended up with a partner that was such a hazard.

Red_Fred posted:

I had an OOA situation in one of my first dives after doing my Open Water. Since then and getting older and respecting the environment more I basically have a mantra of you can't check your gauges too often. There is no harm in taking 5 seconds to just have a look.

Yeah, this is me. I still check my gauges every few minutes. But then again, I'm one of those weirdos that actively scans his mirrors while driving, so...

pupdive posted:

I was just saying it's simply a fact that if divers are assigned buddies, they have to be done on some grounds, and experience (which is self-reported, and thus likely to be unreliable) is likely to be the grounds. (There is a reason why I would never assign buddies outside of actual classes where I am evaluating buddy activity as part of the class, personally.)

I'm not sure how much assessing of Mick they did; M&A came as a buddy pair, so I had been the odd man out all week. It really wasn't a problem until that day.

pupdive posted:

Since Trivia is the one heading for his DMC work, he could use this as a dry run. But the problem with problems as described from the diver's side, and not the people on the job side, is that it is far more common than divers think to lose track of what is happening. In fact there is this line in the original description

The perceptual narrowing that even competent, pretty dang experienced divers undergo in stressful situations in pretty unbelievable to people who have not seen it happen. The gorilla on the basketball court experiment is instructive here. With very, very few exceptions divers are doing something that requires many front brain cycles, and stress magnifies that to such a degree that basically dive professionals learn to not trust the reports of a diver on what happened underwater much at all.

Ok, I understand that my perspective cannot possibly 100% correct, and that I suffer from the same perceptual narrowing as everyone else, but I think you missed the point of the line you quoted, which was sort of the opposite. Him taking us back down seems so crazy that I would have otherwise doubted my own recollection, except that the chart in my dive log software clearly shows both safety stops, and the descent/assent between them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of dive log software... So far I've liked my Cressi Giotto dive computer, but there is ZERO documentation for the PC software. Not even any context sensitive help!

I've figured most of it out, but what do the red dots mean? There is a button to turn them off and on, but I don't know what that tells me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trivia posted:

Did you guys do an assessment dive with Mick before the fuckup dive?

By that I mean a nice easy dive where the guide sizes you up, sees just how good / bad / rusty you are.

Thats pretty much par for the course at every place I've gone, and I kinda feel that some of those fuckups could've been outright avoided, or they'd have outed themselves sooner rather than later.

I don't know. I dove every day Monday-Thursday, and they made me do a skills check in the pool on Sunday. They also watched me pretty closely on the first dive, but I'm sure that R's panic storm made me look a lot better by comparison. After that, they took me on all the dangerous dives without question.

Mick arrived Wednesday. I don't know if they made him do a pool check, but to PupDive's point, he was super insistent about EVERYTHING. The guy just loved pitching fits and throwing tantrums. I don't think they wanted to take him on the deep dive for his first dive, but he demanded it and made a scene. Seriously, on Friday morning at breakfast he was sitting with his teenaged daughter when he pitched yet another fit, this time they kept him waiting too long before seating him. He didn't even eat, just walked out. His poor kid, she looked mortified... but at the same time not surprised in the least.

Some people are just jerks. :smith:

pupdive posted:

I did! I did! I thought you meant checking your written log!

Ok, that makes more sense. :)

I haven't touched my paper dive log since I got the computer, everything is on my PC. I've been meaning to scan my old paper logs so that I have everything in one file.

Ropes4u posted:

Not at all, I just wanted to make sure I didn't rattle anyone's feelings.

I have been debating that since reading the post. My wife was offered a free day of diving with one of the dive shop girls who wanted a partner, and she declined.

I would have taken the dives, but I am not positive that would have been the right choice since I don't know what her skill level is and what risk level she is comfortable with.

No offense, but this sounds insane to me; I would have gone diving. Like I said, I haven't had a regular dive buddy in ages, so I'm used to just getting assigned to strangers. Never been a problem before Mick; most sport divers that I have met can take care of their own poo poo.

If someone who works at dive shop wanted to dive with me, I would take that as a statement of their confidence in me as a diver.

pupdive posted:

And I have still had to walk out on customers on no notice on several occasion because the operation whose flag I was working under on that day, was not willing to do things the right way.

Yeah, I don't think that they guys working at the dive shop at a Hilton really have that choice. Kinda sucks, but they have to balance happy customers with not letting them die.

pupdive posted:

The only part of the above long story that jumped out at me is not having two people on the boat when divers are in the water. This is just basic ocean safety. People get hurt on boats and diving off boats all the time. But that's always going to be an issue outside of water under US Coast Guard jurisdiction. Coast Guard enforcement, include seizing whole boats on the scene, is sometimes the only thing keeping boat operations safe. Because when the Coast Guard does not have boats in the water no one behaves responsibly, unfortunately.

Wait... TWO people waiting on the boat? I can understand having at least one... all week long it was 5 people on the boat, three divers and two DMs. The DMs would switch off dives, while the other waited on board/drove the boat. That seemed fine to me.

I could tell that they really didn't want to leave the boat unnamed, but they didn't have a third DM, they had talked up this particular wreck and didn't want to disappoint M&A, and Mick made such a colossal scene in front of the cruise ship folks before we left.