Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, no current compared to Aruba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trivia posted:

My parents were just down in the Caribbean. Said the bleaching disease is spreading and dive boats are sterilizing gear on the boat immediately after the dive.

Situation sounds pretty dire.

This was the situation in Bonaire last spring, the gear bleaching is some scary poo poo.

Where are they?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jato posted:

conditions are pretty bad right now anyway for diving off the shore.

Yeah, knowledge of local currents, tides, and weather is just as important with familiarity with the dive site and it's entry and exit points.

If I took you to Lane's Cove to catch lobsters (Rockport MA), I know the current is going one of two directions, plus the tide is going in or out. So I can check the weather report and tide tables, and know what I need to before I even go.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

My dive instructor at UC Davis was one of those old dudes who has been around since the early days of SCUBA, and he would constantly say stuff like "you may love the ocean but it doesn't love you" and "never turn your back on the ocean". He was full of stories of people who died while diving, and every lesson we learned from him is burned into my brain because of it. I do love the ocean but I will never not be at least 20% scared of it.

I taught an adult friend of mine how to swim while we were in Aruba, and I remember telling him to stop fighting the waves and to bob along with them. "The ocean will kill you with the flick of her wrist, and she won't even notice."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You can see one of my seawing fins in the corner of the underwater picture:

https://www.facebook.com/puredivingaruba/posts/pfbid02KuhmKqQPwJZ155PbnfMbKhduWvZLid2m4XZjEryuHPaGgBQhSeR3kHx2sLDHu5izl

https://depalm.com/submarine-tours/

This was a cool experience, we knew we would be in the same vicinity as the sub on our second dive, as we could see the tender boat when we dropped in. Its a real submarine, 100% battery electric, and it sounds completely alien. As soon as we were on the wall, we could hear it, this eerie whirring of the drive servos. I felt like we were chasing the loving thing for 15 minutes, getting closer and closer, when I realized it was chasing us! It was a fairly turbid day, and suddenly this huge loving thing appears out of nowhere. Moves with speed and agility, and we could see the people inside.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I haven't had a close call with a submarine but the goddamn glass bottom boats full of tourists would come and just hover over us while we were working in Curacao and it pissed us off to no end. For one thing it's a safety issue, but for another thing we don't want tourists seeing us catch fish for research and think it's okay for them to do the same. The methods we use (barrier nets, dip nets, and chemicals while on SCUBA) are straight up illegal for anyone who doesn't have special permission. We're also often negatively buoyant and crawling around on the substrate, so it's not even a good example to set for the tourists for how to dive safely/responsibly.

Also possibly the most terrifying "I'm going to loving die" moment I've ever had on SCUBA was when one of those fuckers went right over us in barely enough water for us to cling to the bottom and have it go over us. I could feel my whole body thrumming with the vibrations from the engine.

Ugggg, That sounds horrible.

I know exactly where you were, the CARMABI research station at Piscadera, next to the Hilton. Right across the channel from the Hilton, there are some shallow reefs that are great for snorkeling. I saw some glass bottoms boats over there, and I did wonder about how shallow it is there...

Trig Discipline posted:

I have done very little cold water diving since.

I like cold water diving, but I can admit that it is a masochistic experience.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Looking forward to giving it a go in Bonaire in a couple weeks.

Wish I could join you!
I was trying to get together a dive trip to Bonaire for after Mother's Day, but it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I travel with my full sized Knighthawk, but I also bring one whole checked bag just for scuba gear.

Bulky, but it doesn't weigh much. At home, I gets my extra weight from my giant steel tanks.