Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Expert/training freedivers can hold their breath in static apnea for 5-10 minutes. with 11.5 being the current record.

Not any more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/7242852/Swiss-freediver-breaks-world-record-for-holding-breath-underwater.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If you had to choose between diving on the Exmouth Navy Pier, or on ningaloo reef itself, which would you choose? Dont have time to do both, and this is the most pleasant problem I have had to face in a while.

http://www.ningaloodreaming.com

Thinking of going with those guys. Im getting all excited. Driving from Perth to Exmouth and going snorkling with the whale sharks, then diving on their the reef or the pier. Im really leaning towards reef.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pretty sure its based on some bizarre law in America thats been around since WW2, where you have to get rid of any helium stockpiles so the nazis cant use it. Of course, this is still in effect today, because America.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cefyr posted:

if I ever figure out how

go to imgur.com
upload pics.
paste into reply.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SlicerDicer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/lRhJkh.jpg results in this link and makes the image smaller.

Or, you can use the timg tags.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

Question #2: Some guy recently recommended that the GoPro series of cameras as a potential upgrade from my Canon Powershot D10. Since my current camera is rated for 10m (and has never gone deeper than 15), and the Gopro's are rated for 60, they look to be a good fit on paper. Has anyone experience with these?

No personally, but the instructor's assistant had one when I got my ticket. She loved it, and had been using it for a while with no problems.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Heading out to Amed tomorrow for a couple of dives. I have only really been diving at Tulumben before this, so it's going to be interesting

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

pupdive posted:

I am going to disgree with this pretty strongly. Online learning for the Open Water course is really the only way to go.

I did the online learning for my Open Water, and it was a huge benefit.

Because my dive buddy and I did that, we spent more time in the water. Another group did their open water learning on site, and by the time we had finished the first 2 dives and the swimming prereqs, they were suiting up for the first time. We managed to finish all of the closed water dives in 1 day, and then all the open water dives the next day. The other group was had to go back to the dive shop on the second day to finish up the closed water dives, and then went to the dive site, while we got 2 open water dives and finished at a reasonable hour.

But hey, if you like a book that much, go for it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Trivia posted:

As a lover of things like Steam I can agree that online course materials for life is a big draw. Save for one slight flaw: Many of the places you (may) go to will have little or no Internet access!

I thought a large part of the point was that you could do the learning portion before you left for your destination.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Solid advice Bishop, cheers. I wish I lived in a location where I could get cave training - the nearest is in South Australia, so about 1500 miles away!

Use proper distance notation, and let the people who use wacky moon distances translate into their wacky moon distance.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

whaam posted:

How long does the eLearning classroom component of PADI Open Water take generally? The site says 12-15 hours but I'm hoping that is a really high estimate. I'm considering trying to cram it in this weekend before we head to the resort on monday. My worry is I don't want to waste a huge chunk of time on vacation doing classroom work. Is it possible to do the theory after you do your open water dives or does that have to come first?

I crammed it in a weekend before I went and got my ticket.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

I don't have any certs at all. If I take a PADI online course how much time do you think it'd take before I can walk up to the tourist scuba outfit place and say "hey take me on a really simple dive?"

I did my first ever scuba dive with a 5 minute primer while I was putting on my wetsuit, given to me by a dude who spoke passable english. There were no incidents to speak of, and it was a really simple dive, that was fairly shallow as well. Generally, if you stay calm, you will be fine.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just booked a dive at the Navy Pier in Exmouth, the day after we are swimming with the whale sharks. Super Excite Mode ENGAGE

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Finch! posted:

Nice. Which company are you checking out the whale sharks with?

http://ningalooblue.com.au/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Cool I'm going to try and make it up there in May. You dive in Perth much?
Nowhere near as much as I would like. Always seem to be doing something that gets in the way.

quote:

The dive shop I'm doing my DM with owns Exmouth Diving centre who also do whaleshark tours, so I know a few of the Exmouth crew.

Got any recommendations for something to do for my partner while im off diving?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

You mean frogmen?

Lies, my mother was a saint.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr.AARP posted:

Could you make a post (in this thread or your shark thread) detailing just how you got into rebreather diving/advanced tec diving? I feel like it would be really informative and entertaining to see the process of going from open circuit to, as Crunkjuice very accurately puts it, the Tony Stark of tec diving.

Click this link and start reading

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467420&userid=169627

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SlicerDicer posted:

Are you some kind of WIZARD? how did you make all my posts in one shot? I am now scared

Lets go with wizard, because it sounds better than "dude who knows what the little ? under your name does"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jackyl posted:

Less fighting, more diving and photographing!
Ok Boss

Nice clam I saw when we took a trip up to ningaloo reef.

We were here to swim with these guys those. Saw two juvenile males, one about 5m long and one about 8m. So graceful and drat fast. Had to power along to keep up. At one stage, after a few times in the water, we were allowed to freedive around the shark, and one guy went right under to try and sex the shark, and I got to see it bank it was awesome.

Saw my first sharks when I scuba dived on the navy pier there. A couple of 2m black tip reefs just hanging out.

This guy was awesome. A QLD grouper that lives under the pier. We jumped in the water, and sat at the bottom while the rest of the other group did their checks and stuff, and he was immediately over and checking us out. Freaking massive fish, probably as long as I am tall (1.8m) and just so solid. I got to pat him as he swam past, and the DM was sratching his chin. So cool.

Apologies for the lovely pics, but it was an afternoon dive and the vis was low and I had no lights on my lovely cameramask.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bishop posted:

Doing non standard kicks like the frog kick or modified flutter kick are also easier.

Is there somewhere good where I can check out what these different types of kick styles are, because im pretty sure the most instruction I got was "kick with your thighs, not your calves" and thats about it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just got back from diving the liberty wreck at Tulumben. Goddamn that was depressing. So much dead and dying coral compared to 2 years ago. The school of Jacks is gone, probably not coming back.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

eviljelly posted:

if there's any emergency there's always going to be an instructor or a divemaster close by.

Are you sure about that? No one ever goes diving without a DM present? Interesting call to make.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Trivia posted:

Not sure about Bali myself. The real deciding factor I think will be accessibility to non-diving activities.

Bali is what you make of it. What sort of activities are you looking to do?

Accessibility has never really been an issue for me/us when we go. At worst you grab a car and driver for the day, and they will take you wherever you want to go. Doesn't really cost all that much, maybe $20aud.

If you like your fine dining, one of the best meals I have ever had was in Bali at a place called Metis.

I avoid Kuta like the plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Is it possible to do the coursework etc. here but do the test dives in warmer waters,

I did this through padi, and thoroughly recommend it. I did all the class work before I left on holidays, then spent a day in their pool learning skills. By the time me and my dive partner were ready to go into the ocean, the other group were getting into the pool. I knew it was a good move when I heard the dive instructor assigned to us brag that he got the good group. It got us full days diving more than people who didn't do the work beforehand.