Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buh
May 17, 2008
How long can the expert free divers hold their breath? It's hard to tell from that video, but it seems like a drat long time.
This sport looks amazing; I really want to go get certified. Wish I wasn't dirt broke.

How fit do you really need to be to do this and not die? Sedentary goon here, who would be morbidly obese if not for my skinny genes. I can run maybe a couple hundred metres before I pray for death and retreat back to my goon cave.

Is a proper scuba mask perfectly watertight, so you could wear contacts? I've never been able to wear them under swimming goggles because water inevitably gets in my eyes.

Buh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buh
May 17, 2008

Kaal posted:

Well basic diving is pretty possible for a wide-range of body-types. Someone who is moderately overweight should have few problems. But you need to be able to demonstrate swimming capability; truly obese people will face a variety of other risks and limitations that would preclude any advanced diving.

Good to know. I can swim well (been at it since I was 2), but would probably need to improve my general fitness. Seems like a great reason to.

I haven't been diving yet, best I've managed is snorkelling at Divine Island. It's pretty much untouched so there's a reef full of tropical fish like ten metres out from shore. It was the most colourful thing I've ever seen. Would love to go out and see something bigger and better. Especially a wreck like in the video. Dat ship :allears:

You mention free divers use weights to descend quickly... doesn't that slow them down on the way up?

It must take a lot of practice to know when to surface. As an untrained pleb, my reflex only tells me when I need to breathe RIGHT loving NOW. I can't imagine swimming up dozens of feet to the surface without panicking.

ZoCrowes posted:

I also dabble in underwater photography. Some of my photos can be found here: http://chrisscottphotographer.com/Chris_Scott_Photographer/Images/Pages/Underwater.html
These are fantastic. The manta ray with the derpface is now my desktop. Any chance of a higher res?

Buh fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 19, 2012