Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, my institution here in Japan is looking for a new dive safety officer. We're having a hell of a time getting good candidates. Does anyone know where to post job ads for international professional diving gigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh good call, thanks! I'm also going to try to post to the AAUS boards but they seem closed right now.

Just in case:

https://www.oist.jp/careers/diving-safety-officer

https://www.oist.jp/careers/marine-field-work-technician

The yen has sucked lately so the salaries aren't great, but you know...

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 14, 2023

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

patoots posted:

That sucks to hear, I stayed at All West this August and didn't find it too bad. South Florida last month comparably had some of the saddest reefs I can imagine, so maybe it's just the beating the whole Caribbean took these last few months.

FWIW I found boat diving oostpunt (with Dive Charter Curacao) to have far and away the best reefs on the island with maybe Playa Jeremi the best shore accessible one, in case you haven't checked those out yet.

Aw man, that makes me sad. I have been doing fish research projects mostly out of Westpunt for almost two decades now but haven't been back in a few years. I have a lot of great memories underwater there, and then I also have this one. Looking back I can't recall whether that was Playa Jeremi or Kleine Knip but it was one of those two.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've never been to Bonaire but I've done hundreds of dives next door in Curaçao. There are a lot of sites that have no current 99% of the time and then on that other one percent they really take you by surprise.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite dive sites in Okinawa (Mermaid's Grotto/Apogama) is absolutely gorgeous and not too tough in the right conditions but in the wrong conditions it is absolutely deadly. Four people died there last year, including one of the students at the university I worked at and the guy who invented Yu-Gi-Oh. The thing that's really nasty is that the "wrong" conditions can actually consist of a gorgeous day but the tide is out and there are (even fairly small) waves coming over the top of the reef. It's just that the topography there is such that it doesn't take a lot of wave action to create a truly impressive rip current.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trivia posted:

I like to tell my students that the ocean is aggressively indifferent to your existence. You're just along for the ride.

Some of them get it. Some require personal experience first.

My dive instructor at UC Davis was one of those old dudes who has been around since the early days of SCUBA, and he would constantly say stuff like "you may love the ocean but it doesn't love you" and "never turn your back on the ocean". He was full of stories of people who died while diving, and every lesson we learned from him is burned into my brain because of it. I do love the ocean but I will never not be at least 20% scared of it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had a close call with a submarine but the goddamn glass bottom boats full of tourists would come and just hover over us while we were working in Curacao and it pissed us off to no end. For one thing it's a safety issue, but for another thing we don't want tourists seeing us catch fish for research and think it's okay for them to do the same. The methods we use (barrier nets, dip nets, and chemicals while on SCUBA) are straight up illegal for anyone who doesn't have special permission. We're also often negatively buoyant and crawling around on the substrate, so it's not even a good example to set for the tourists for how to dive safely/responsibly.

Also possibly the most terrifying "I'm going to loving die" moment I've ever had on SCUBA was when one of those fuckers went right over us in barely enough water for us to cling to the bottom and have it go over us. I could feel my whole body thrumming with the vibrations from the engine.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did all of my training wearing a 7 over 7 farmer john and shorty in northern California, and oh man those minutes of roasting on the shore were just my least favorite thing ever. Once I started actually doing my graduate work in tropical areas I was like "holy gently caress diving can actually be not incredibly difficult and maybe kinda fun actually?" I have done very little cold water diving since.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ugggg, That sounds horrible.

I know exactly where you were, the CARMABI research station at Piscadera, next to the Hilton. Right across the channel from the Hilton, there are some shallow reefs that are great for snorkeling. I saw some glass bottoms boats over there, and I did wonder about how shallow it is there...

Yes! I have worked at CARMABI off and on for almost twenty years now (jesus christ really?). I've done a ton of work on those reefs right across the channel. They're generally nice but can get a bit nasty sometimes, but if you can get a little boat and head maybe 500m further up along the coast it is absolutely amazing.

When we first started working there most of what currently exists wasn't built yet, none of the buildings had air con, and anything you set down anywhere would get stolen within thirty seconds. My first trip there I was working on sperm motility in wrasses, and needed to centrifuge samples to extract sperm. The best I could do given what was available there was to tie a string around an eppendorf tube and whip it around over my head as fast as I could. Then I got the idea to use the ceiling fan in one of the labs as a centrifuge instead, which worked slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I cannot for the life of me fully express how much I enjoy the stupid bullshit improvisation aspect of field research, which is doubly the case for diving work - maybe someone somewhere was silly enough to build a tool for the strange task I am doing, but odds are they didn’t need to do it underwater…

It's one of my favorite parts of science.

At one point my wife and I had a question where we wanted to determine the relative territoriality of terminal phase blueheads, so we built what I called "The Angryometer". It was a GoPro attached to a microphone stand, with a mirror attached to the base of the stand. The idea was that a TP male would see his reflection and attack the mirror, and by watching the video and counting the number of attacks in five minutes we could get a measure of relative aggression.

It didn't work, or rather worked too well. Every TP male we put it in front of basically attacked it nonstop until we took it away, so there was really no meaningful variance in the measurements. Aggro little shits.