Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Anyone have suggestions for dive shops and/or worthwhile dive sites in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area?

I got PADI certified about 6 months ago in Mexico and have only done a handful of dives, and my buddy is a lot more experienced than I but hasn't done any diving for a couple years. We're flying down to St. Pete in two weeks to spend a few days with the intention of just doing some chill, easy dives to make sure we're both comfortable with everything and with diving together before we plan a more exciting dive trip. We were also trying to decide if it's worthwhile to rent or charter a boat or just get some recommendations from a shop for where to go dive off the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I did the entire training in Mexico with the dive shop there, so it was a bit different. We didn't do any classroom or pool practice, just the online coursework before arriving, followed by two days of diving with an instructor in the cenotes and one day in the ocean.

I believe that if you reach out to an SSI shop down there and share what you've done so far they'd be happy to schedule an instructor-supervised dive with you that would fulfill the requirement.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have tons of shore dives, but at your level of experience I can't recommend doing it without a local guide. You don't have to charter a boat, you can hire someone for guided shore dive, which tends to be cheaper.

Thanks to you and the others for the responses. We talked it over and also saw that the conditions are pretty bad right now anyway for diving off the shore. Decided to instead book an Advanced Open Water course with a shop nearby and we'll be doing some lake and grotto dives the next two days for the course and certification.