Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Honestly aside from gas switching, most of the features you've listed are already suggesting computers in the flashy tech range. I'd suggest looking at Shearwater, maybe the Petrel. Most of the lines that do tech stuff also have recreational versions. If you're investing in all the fancy recreational features it's probably worth one of the higher end brands than a super expensive Suunto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I mean, yeah I'd advise a Geo 2 or a Suunto zoop as a first computer but if things like a digital compass is a deal breaker and future AI then you might as well plump for a really good recreational computer.

Probably worth questioning why all those bells and whistles are needed though. Having a separate wrist compass like a Suunto SK7 is going to be cheaper and isn't really much hassle. That's probably the biggest cost jump as they're not really standard as a feature. If you can live without that there are plenty of good options.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Hah, no I'm 100% in agreement that what's being specced isn't necessary for a new diver. If those listed features are 100% necessary then I think he's better getting a Shearwater and ignoring the features that are actually why it's super expensive rather than getting some of the new top of the line faux-tec computers.

Apart from Bluetooth though I don't think any of those are important for a new diver. That said Bluetooth only seems to available for computers in that high price range. I love it because I use a log book app and do with diving that the convenience makes sense. For a new diver, you're much better off looking at a user changeable battery and a computer with gauge mode. That way if you love diving and stick with it and someday need trimix or desperately want Bluetooth, you've got a back up depth gauge/timer.

You'll also be buying your fancy dive computer in a few years with whatever new widgets technology advances have brought us.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Addressing the 3 points:
Air integration does not mean not having a mechanical gauge. Tech is nowhere near the point where you shouldn't make sure you have a hp house with a gauge attached. There are some computers on a console so if reducing the number of things to look at is the main concern those could be options, personally I'd prefer a wrist computer and a mechanical gauge.

Settings codes, I can understand having had a single use finding it intimidating but you're talking about spending $1000 Vs $300 for the sake of not referencing a manual a few times until you familiarise with some abbreviations. Really, really have a think if it's worth that much to avoid a little bit of learning to use something.

A Geo 2 or a Suunto will be fairly in terms of looking at your dives. If all of them are pretty similar profiles,l it can be a bit trickier but when uploading them, you'll get the times as well which makes things super clear. Also when you say Bluetooth, computers like the oceanic typically have USB cable data transfer. If you've got a laptop or PC, that works fine for data transfer. Personally I love Bluetooth because I use a cloud based dive log and the app on my phone can sync with my ostc but that's definitely not enough of a reason I would have bought it by itself. (I also bought it second hand, new would still be too much)

Really have a think, the Geo 2 is a solid computer, not as conservative as a Suunto (in my club they're nicked named danger-max because they have some impressively long no Deco times on a first dive) and they do gauge mode and gas switching so you're going to be good for even basic 'Tec' diving.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Anyone have experience with the Mares Puck Pro? The reviews seem positive, and my wife needs a beginners computer. Nothing fancy needed.

I've seen poor reviews on usability and some reports of weird Deco results. That's anecdotal but the single button design would put me off anyway. I think a zoop is similar budget and has much better feedback. My first computer was an Aladin, which was solid and a Geo 2 was the replacement after I lost the Aladin. I'd recommend either as alternatives.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Also used generally. A lot of people give up diving and most companies will cover dive computers with most major failure issues. All of my dive computers so far have been bought second hand, either off ebay or facebook group/diving forums. Savings aren't as huge as other gear but half the price of a new one for the same functionality and if she needs it for work she probably won't mind.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

When buying a used dive computer, would it be necessary to have a dive shop examine it, or would it be enough to bring it in the bathtub and verify that it turns on?

Personally that would be enough for me but I'd make sure I had some back up timer and depth gauge, even a buddy with a definitely working computer.

Regarding algorithms, as a novice they aren't very important and you'll almost certainly not see a difference. As your diving progress and you're going deeper and getting better with air consumption you'll start being limited by Deco limits. DSAT, like the Geo 2 uses has quite aggressive limits for the first dive and then becomes very conservative. Suunto's are just very conservative. Not sure about others.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Trivia posted:

The i200c also has Bluetooth. I haven't used it but I'm told it's very convenient.

Yeah, while not necessary being able to sync dives to subsurface using my phone right out of a dive is actually great. If subsurface's mobile app typing wasn't rear end I'd be able to log notes too.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I dive with a wing and dry suit typically and I find it's very easy to lie face up at the surface. The natural inclination is definitely horizontal but face up or down seem pretty equal. When I first started diving with a wing I had one that had way, way too much lift capacity. The only really good thing about it was when fully inflated at the surface it was like lying on an air bed.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

For single cylinders I dive an Oxycheq wing and SS backplate with a single piece harness. It's more or less DIR style and for twin set diving I have an IST wing I bought off eBay for cheap that I just swap on.

My recommendation would be to get something basic, not because it's cheaper but just because I found it felt much less constrained in the water.

General tips: make isn't so crucial, if you're going the basic route a lot of different ones are halcyon clones and so more or less all interchangeable.

Don't get one with way too much lift. There's a reason to use a smaller wing for diving singles, it's less material flapping about and less air migration going on.

Weighting wise, I definitely found my weighting needs went down by more than just the amount I moved the backplate. I think maybe there was less air trapped due to less material or something.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Ummm... Well I went for a dive out of Dover a few weeks back. Would have been two but the poor skipper's gearbox died in a shipping lane and we had to get towed back. UK boats are back in action but with reduced capacity doing 1m physical distancing.

I also went for a holiday to North West Italy, Portofino to be exact, and did a couple of days diving there. Italians were strict on having masks for everyone but capacity didn't seem to be reduced. Finally I did a few days in Menton in France and the French did not give a crap about any of the regulations as far as I could tell. Nice Mediterranean diving and the marine reserve in Portofino seems to be in good shape. Apparently there's quite a bit of research work there as it's basically the northerly wall species are hitting as climate change drives them North.

My dive club had it's first RIB trip last weekend as well and we've been very cautious. Really as long as you're using all your own equipment, making sure everyone uses a mask for indoor bits I don't think there's a huge infection risk. Shore diving I don't see being too risky.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I use Kubo and, apart from the very first time I used them, haven't had a leak. I got the system attracted to the suit when I bought it so can't comment if you're using the detachable style one but the ring system itself is good. It's a basic o ring only thing so no weird locks or twisting.

Only tip (and this might solve your problems with your set up) is to make sure to grease the o rings prior to use each time. A light coating, wiping most of it off so the glove doesn't pop off. That was the solution to my leak the first time and also helps avoid it getting stuck when taking it off after.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Plus if your bring your own wetsuit you need to plan around drying time. There are some pretty cheap dive torches you can pick up and modern LED torches can do a good enough job for reasonable visibility diving. Being able to look into nooks and crannies or just getting some of the colours restored ( plus for night diving) so I think that's a reasonable buy. Frogman lenser was a pretty standard recommendation when I was buying but that's a while back now so brands may have moved on.

Computer is a really good investment IMO if you're confident you'll keep up diving and you've got the disposable budget. Suunto's are good and pretty standard and can make it easy to get your dive stats. You should always be able to track your own depth and time on a dive and that removes worries that the dive shop might give you gear without a depth gauge or a broken one while ensuring you can track your time.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Suunto are very conservative but they're well designed and the Zoop is near impossible to beat on price. Scubapro's Aladin is a good alternative that gives a bit more time and I've had an Oceanic Geo 2.0 that, if you want a watch style and potential for more advanced diving in the future, includes gas switching for nitrox mixes.

I'd say those three are all in the entry level and it's worth looking at second hand options as well here since plenty of people either start and give up or device to get something shinier later.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Not sure if it's known or not but I found a dive shop in Florida that had some crazy good deals. Not sure how much is left but I got a new Greenforce torch head for $130 (which is like £410 new in the UK) and they had an Orca umbilical torch for $250 rather than £600. I didn't post it right away in case it was some weird scam but they guy was super helpful on email and posted it to me. It's arrived working perfectly and I didn't even get hit with a customs bill.

https://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/Hot-Deals-110 Possibly worth keeping an eye on if you're looking to buy gear.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

As a BSAC member I have to loudly endorse local diving clubs. Mine is awesome for training and centralising kit ownership. It doesn't help the hire/buy dilemma when traveling but for local diving it's awesome and really, really helpful for keeping skills in practice and making the most of your dives when you do travel.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

No particular content but just to post that I'm going on my first RIB diving trip in over a year starting tomorrow :buddy: hoping the kit testing that I've done is sufficient and my dry suit hasn't developed a massive hole over lockdown.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I take my camera down on dives semi-frequently but all my diving is done in buddy pairs and we're pretty comfortable loving off and looking at stuff. I cannot imagine having one or two in a large group with a guide who is just waiting for everyone to have a look at whatever they've pointed out before moving on, that sounds like the most frustrating way of doing a dive one could devise.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've got a couple of Cressi masks. Originally I bought one as a back up because it's pretty low volume and I wanted a pink one but I found it so comfortable I got another one so I had it as a back up as well.
F1 mask

But I'll also echo fit is the most critical element and most other stuff is very personal preference. If you're getting it as a surprise gift I'd suggest having something she can exchange.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say in terms of the ridiculousness of a new divert being expected to buy a dry suit is that they have no idea about what kind of kit they get on with let alone what kind of diving they are going to do. Buying the cheapest dry suit you can find is pretty much a recipe for wanting to get a new one a year or so down the line (being people who make an informed decision to do so). Or it ending up on eBay because you realise during your course that cold water diving is not for you.

It's just irresponsible on the part of a shop to recommend, let alone require someone make that kind of purchase for an introductory course. That's coming from someone who thinks it's reasonable for new divers to buy a dive computer.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Leandros posted:

Probably long shot, but any tips for diving schools/shops near Split in Croatia, one of the islands off the coast or near Ploce further south-east? Ideally something combining rental for certified and introductory for uncertified? I looked for Croatia itt but nothing since 2016 so maybe people have since had some experiences they can share

Not sure how close it is but I've got friends that had a really good experience at Blue Planet near Lapad beach. I think that's more over best Dubrovnik though.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

For computers, the default in the UK is still pretty much suunto zoop, with the caveat that it's cold water diving so a large screen and large buttons are very useful. Nitrox is a standard option but having some gas switching capacity will pretty much guarantee your first watch will last you your diving career. It's very much not a requirement though since you'll probably be diving for years before you think about wanting that kind of functionality (if ever). Having a free dive mode where it can function as a depth timer also works so even if you do eventually 'outgrow' it, it will still work as a back up. Also bear in mind you're getting something for your diving, I'd caution against choosing something you think you could double as a wrist watch just because it will be limiting space to display information and not presenting it as clearly as it otherwise could.

In terms of models, suunto Zoop or an Aladin One are absolutely great, cheap options that will do pretty much everything you need a computer to do. Oceanic Geo or one of the more advanced Suunto or Aladins are great if you do want more functionality. Almost every dive computer has Bluetooth now, which if you use an electronic log book means you can upload your dives directly.

This is probably my favourite tech development for computers and the only reason my default is no longer to just go on eBay/Facebook market and get a second hand one. That's definitely an option worth exploring though, all the dive computers I own were bought second hand.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I had a similar issue happen with my original Geo 2.0 (it was giving me 9 hours of deco stops while on the first floor. That had cleared about 2 hours later). I'd bought it second hand a couple of years before but figured I'd send it in to oceanic and was sent a new replacement. That said if you feel you've gotten your money's worth from a computer it can be a good excuse for getting a shinier one.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

My diving has been super limited the last few years but I finally managed to get on a club expedition taking our RIB up to North West Scotland, specifically diving out of Tobermory on the Inner Hebrides and the Sound of Mull. Absolutely awesome diving that I haven't seen for over 10 years and made me really wish I was living back up in the North of England or even Scotland to be able to reach this as regular diving. For people specifically travelling to the UK for diving it's obviously not on the historical level of somewhere like Scapa Flow and it's not as approachable in terms of hard boat options but drat was it good to get back in the water for an extended period.

Did encounter one consequence of not diving that much, my dry suit turned out to have a zip leak that I couldn't track down. I'd brought my second older suit as well as a just in case but that had leaks that got worse over the week until one of the wrist seals had a failure on the final dive. I was genuinely worried I wouldn't get any diving so I consider myself really lucky that I ended up just being fairly wet and cold over the week and only really lost 2 dives over the week. My dive computer also had an issue with rechargeable battery not working properly and it stopped taking a charge, luckily it's a model that can also use standard AA so was able to keep that going. Service your gear before any extended trips!

On the more fun side, here's a few good pictures:

Lovely views and generally good weather

Had a dive on a random pinnacle off the Isle of Muck that had a really nice set of Nudibranchs -

And a nice flatworm

Afternoon dive on another pinnacle had a bit of an issue as we were diving in a 3 and my buddies buggered off. We'd missed the wall we were aiming to dive on but found a nice sandy area with lots of scallops and I found this fella. Taking a photo of him was when they continued off and we lost each other.

Some nice reef diving, these are from a few different dives with very different visibility depending on sunshine at the surface and where/when we were diving.

Also interesting effects lighting can have:

Finally one of the main things for this trip was wreck diving. I didn't get many photos of these due to 1) wanting to focus on enjoying the dives and not being super dived up and 2) not having a great camera set up for non-macro shooting in this kind of visibility. I did get this photo of the Hispania's rudder with my buddy. This was the last dive I did and at this point the water from my wrist seal leak had just reached the left side of my chest.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Depends a lot on use case as well. If you're typically flying to diving destinations then a lightweight set is really worth investing in. Personally I'd recommend Scubapro or Apeks as well as brands that I've had good experience with in terms of reliability and also are common enough that you'll be able to find a repair place anywhere you're going to diving.

Haven't shopped for a BCD in over a decade so can't help you much but hybrid style ones seem pretty good. I've been exclusively wing and harness diving for a long time but I can see the appeal of having some pockets, only advice I can give is make sure the buckles are easy to locate and feel really solid. Integrated weights seem to be a pretty standard option but are pretty good for being able to spread your weight around rather than just having a heavy belt.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say generally travel means more expensive, a bit less durable but for holiday diving (I'd say less than 30-50 dives a year) that's not really a concern. Only other thing that might be a problem is access to parts/repair when traveling if it's got really specific carbon fibre parts or similar. Otherwise you've got it that it's a higher entry price usually for more expensive materials/luxury seeming market.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Yup

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've got a canister light for UK diving that I will always take with me as a standard and a nice little backup torch on the harness. When I'm travelling I'll always bring that backup with me, light is a bit strong and focused for tropical diving but it's a good form factor and pretty small.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Same. Only time I ever saw a card questioned was when someone had a CMAS card and the person looking at it had never seen one before or heard of the agency. Ended up being fine.

They're motivated to accept the certification, it isn't the same as a passport or something.

I'm qualified with BSAC and have never had a problem with getting my certification accepted. Sometimes take a bit of explaining that being a BSAC advanced diver is not equivalent to AOW but it's never really been a problem. That kind of stuff is also easier now that people are putting everything online and in apps so there's typically a little breakdown of what you're qualified to do.

Coldwater diving is fantastic but I totally get why most people aren't really into it. There feels like a lot more kit and prep and chances of having a low vis dive or a generally miserable day tend to be a lot higher. That said there's stuff in cold water spots you are otherwise never going to see, Scapa flow or seal diving in the UK are absolutely incredible as are some of the wrecks around here. Dry suits are also fairly flexible on temperature ranges and I'd prefer to be diving in the Med with my dry suit than a wetsuit outside of the height of summer.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Assuming you've got banded twins, I found moving the bands down a little bit massively helped me as the valves were about half an inch too low for me. I do typically have to adjust this again every time they get serviced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

At the end of last summer I went through all my SSI training (classroom, pool) but I couldn't fit a checkout dive into my schedule before the local shop stopped for the winter. They're starting back up and have two checkout weekends in April and May, but I'm traveling to Costa Rica in early June and wondering about getting certified there (and doing some diving).

I see a few SSI shops around where I'll be (Papagayo) but I'm wondering how much of a logistical problem this might be. Has anyone done this (training in the US, then cert dive overseas), particularly with SSI? Thanks for any advice.

Looks like you did something similar with PADI--how did it work for you?

Haven't done this myself and no experience of SSI but as long as you have some proof that you've done the initial training, a lot of places will be perfectly happy to do the practical element/open water dives. They might require you do a bit of a check out in a pool or similar beforehand just to confirm you haven't forgotten anything or had an incompetent instructor.

In general, be safe and contact the place ahead of time to make sure they're happy to do that.