Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ploots posted:

My partner and I each went through a floaty feet phase in the first year we had drysuits. In the end it was user error, not something that could be solved by gear. They tried ankle weights, which were good enough to get by but didn't solve the problem in a meaningful way. We were putting too much air in our suits, so any amount of ascent meant a LOT of gas expansion which meant a LOT of floatiness. My approach now is to only put air in the suit when I feel a bit of squeeze. I find that keeps the balloon suit in check.

It's probably mostly down to familiarity - keep using the suit and you'll figure it out, there are a bunch of little tricks you'll discover. It's easy to miss a bit of floatiness if you're kicking constantly. Straighten your legs and push your feet down a couple of times during the ascent to move the air out, etc etc.

That is my usual approach to the point where the time before this on a diving trip I had bruised shoulders as I had too much squeeze! However when doing the valve drill my instructor said put a bit more air in to free up my arms which then meant I had too much…

Frustrating!

I do wonder if a different suit would help both of these issues though. My D7 has a big ring for the neck which does restrict reach behind a bit and it’s one size too big so the boots are quite roomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ploots posted:

got a hole in my drysuit patched and I have to say, I'm an idiot. Why was I diving a leaky suit for months?

Because it’s drat hard to tell sometimes! I’ve done the same.

Is it a leak? Is it condensation? Is it just the normal amounts of water that come in? :iiam: