Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
My two cents are in from Maui I will update more later.

SlicerDicer (Maui Hawaii) I dive here own all my own gear, I dive Open Circuit only as much as needed and am transitioning over to rebreather.

Bishop posted:

I'd add that it's best to take it slow before going beyond the wetsuit purchase. Make sure diving is something you want to do as a fairly consistent hobby. The shops will push gear sales on you pretty early on because that's where they make most of their money. If you're only going to be diving every five years or something just rent.

Always check when traveling what kind of gear is rented.. And it would be best to ask around find a shop that say has integrated weights over weight belt. Find out how old their gear is and if its maintained.

It would astonish you what I have seen pass as rental gear and I would kill myself before using some as it would likely kill me. I wouldn't even trust their viz on tanks.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

So if you are a diver, theres a good chance god is trying to kill us off today. My car got hit, and a tech guy i've dove with once was seriously injured in a car fire this morning. The two scuba cylinders as the news reported were his deco bottles, but i don't know what % O2 they were specifically. Police believe the tank or tanks were leaking into his car and ignited somehow. I'll update you guys as i know more.
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...ogs_the_blotter

Today is a super lovely day.

O2 clean is important.. There is the guy who torched that boat dunno if you read about it but the boat burned to the water in less than 5 mins.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

I mostly dive off of my own boat or with shops that know me, but when I'm not I just carry whatever card lets me do the most poo poo. It's a good idea to keep your card with you, but dive shops with internet connections can look you up if you don't have it. I know for at least PADI, they can call to confirm your status as well.

LOL agreed this is usually the case. I did however find going in asking for 3L cylinders for rent.. they did not ask for my card when I got that and absorbant. Either they figured I was certified or wanted to see a darwin award.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

An unwritten rule is that you don't card people buying rebreather stuff because they've paid for the right to kill themselves ;)

please give me your old inspiration

What old one?

Some pics from today, To read that computer.. C1 is "Computer One" (With 1.30ppo2 maintain setpoint) There is a C2 that can be switched and used. The bar is heat moving through the CO2 scrubber showing what part is active. Its not intuitive in the sense of preventing hypercapnia it just gives a idea. The battery logo is how full batteries are.

Then you have 1.29 1.31 1.31 this is partial pressure of O2 in the breathing loop.

16:31 min dive so far. Diluent is Air, Max Depth = 90.7ft

40min till no decompression limit. Depth 81.4ft

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

I thought you were switching over to an evoloution? Also one of your sensors is reading off by .02. BAILOUT!@$#!@$!@$

Negative, I was learning on a evolution. I own a Inspiration :) MOAR SCRUBBERS and stuff.

And yes MY GADS BAIL OUT!!!

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 28, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Good god crunk.. Very sorry to hear that..

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

grinning cheshire posted:

PADI just started this new e-card thing. Basically its your cert card on your smartphone.

Absolutely, Amway Diving does whatever it takes.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

DeadlyMuffin posted:

There is a feeling among some divers that diving shouldn't be accessible. I think it usually boils down to wanting to feel badass for being a SCUBA diver. If some fat lady at a resort can do it, they feel it makes their diving less impressive. I think the macho attitude is a big reason why the dive community (at least in my area) skews so heavily male.

PADI gets a lot of flak because they're the biggest player and because they cater to new/casual divers. I'm sure there are many other, legitimate, reasons to dislike PADI, but in my experience that's what most of it has boiled down to.

In my experience the instructor matters 100 times more than the certifying agency. If one shop offers both agencies it's probably the same instructor anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I have nothing against PADI if you want to dive so be it do PADI. I am just merely saying they will certify anybody to build the PADI Pyramid.

Basicly PADI means.. You can get AIR!!!

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Padi is also way more "accepted" around the wold. probably 80% of the world is "padi padi padi" so if you plan to travel...

Yeps

Its the way the world learns to dive or some poo poo their motto.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 2, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

I got NAUI open water certified through college, then went PADI because of the dive shop i found locally. In the long run, it doesn't matter who certifies you. Its all about the shop and the instructor. I went on a fun dive with the dive club, and my dive leader was loving fantastic. Tech instructor, super friendly, knew his poo poo. He became my divemaster instructor, and was the sole reason i went with that shop, and pretty much the sole reason I went PADI.

On the other hand, if you go the professional route (DM/Instructor), PADI really does kick rear end. All of the negative things people claim about PADI start to be good things when you're apart of the organization versus a recreational diver.

And i see i was beaten soundly by ZoCrowes, but gently caress it, i typed it out already.

Yeah like PADI having you calculate the partial pressures of Nitrogen at depth with Nitrox, However they do not have you even come close to knowing what the END is. WTF is the point? Also no mention of EAD.

All that I have seen thus far doing the professional route is kinda just zero to hero, maybe I am wrong when I finish the IDC and IE will see?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Even if you have no interest in buying a drysuit, getting a chance to test them out is a lot of fun and is definitely a new experience underwater.

once you dive dry you dont come back from that.. Its like going full retard.. I dive dry in 76 degree water with 200g polartec but I am a giant wuss too.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

I imagine wearing something really minimal as an undergarment would keep you from getting too hot with any dry suit, as long as you don't put it all the way on and stand in the sun for a while before getting wet. A dry suit is also a redundant buoyancy source, which is a comforting thing to have, especially on ocean tech dives when your rig is too heavy to swim to the surface without some buoyancy assistance.

I wear 200 weight undergarment in 76 degree water as said.. I am sure I could get away with underarmor in the 80+ water in Florida/Bahamas no problem.

Just remember keep your head cool with water before getting in water to prevent overheating.

fordan posted:

My intro Scuba Diver class trained us in the pool and the quarry to use pony bottles rather than octos, since around this area (NJ/NY) if you want to dive in the ocean the dive boats require either a pony or doubles. Obviously not DIR, but a bit closer to the tech side of the house than most intro classes.

Few people want to carry pony bottle for whatever reason... Even when I explain the failure possibility and what it means if I am 50ft away.. 50ft is a LONG way when poo poo gets real.

But these people are incapable of seeing why I talk about captured o-ring (DIN) and the benefit there.. ohh its too hard! poo poo.. Just ask for din tank the dive shops we go to have them FFS... if its that bad use my friggin tanks..

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 3, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Bishop, why not go with the apeks?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

fordan posted:

For some reason this area seems to have a lot of same-day, same-ocean buddies, so a redundant air source is fairly mandatory (and a drat good idea).

Anymore I am not generally worried about it. I have the rebreather that is lunacy level of gas time, I then have the 23cf tank I can bailout onto with the BOV.. Failing that I carry a minimum of 40cf bailout with me.. Generally speaking I have enough air to sink a battleship for recreational depths.

fordan posted:

19cft as I recall. Which at my stressed air consumption rate means I need to spend very little time trying to resolve whatever issue put me on to the pony and start for the surface fairly quickly. I was planning to step up a size or so if I ended up doing more local diving, but I tend to do travel diving mostly, and not a lot recently (hoping to do a liveaboard later this year).

Where you wanting to liveaboard? And what depths are you doing to need more than 19cf? I mean even breathing like a freight train you should be able to get the hell out? Is that not the idea in a emergency? Or are you in overhead?

BTW I will note my highest rate of breathing ever recorded was 1.45cf/min(Swimming like a IDIOT).. thats 3 mins at 130ft.. I R Confused?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

If something goes wrong, you should start surfacing right away, not treating it like a second tank of air.
Like da hell outa this.

BTW if you read one of the more recent alert divers, I cant find it right now but nearly 50% of all divers die from OOA situations. Thus why I said get the hell out if you have a serious problem.

Humans Dont Breathe Water

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

fordan posted:

I had been thinking south pacific, but more likely Caribbean because I don't have vacation time to burn for the travel out there. Waiting for a friend to figure out what he wants to do.

My dives hit typical max depths of 80-100ft or so. Sometimes deeper, but I'm mostly a pretty fish/pretty coral diver and there isn't much past that depth given the light. Sometimes 100-120 to see a turtle or shark or the like.

My breathing rate in the drysuit story above hit a peak of just shy of 3cf/min SAC. 19CF would definitely get me to the surface, but if I was at that SAC and at depth, it doesn't leave a lot of time to try and resolve an issue before you need to ascend. I'm not talking about strapping an 80 to my 120 as a pony, just bump the size up a bit, like from a 19 to a 30. And I'd have to dive off the NY/NJ coast, which having done once isn't my cup of tea anyways. I'll take my local quarry and dive travel. :D

I would say if you have to strap something to you do a 40cf Worthington for the weight characteristics. Those things are FANTASTIC!!

But then again I am not advising doing such things I am in awe at 3cf/min SAC... That would be 16cf/min give or take at depth of 120.. Are you sure its 3cf per min sustained?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

SlicerDicer I see that your Shearwater is "inverted" so that the battery compartment is on the inside of your arm. I have mine the normal way and there's a decent number of small scratches on it. Is reversing the screen a software option or what? (EDIT: ok maybe I should spend 15 seconds playing with my computer to find that "flip screen" option instead of asking other people)

LOL!!! yeah I flipped it as the fischer plug is on that side. So to have it comfortable routing up my arm I have to have it inverted.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
be safe bishop we must hear of exploits of this :)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Trivia posted:

How conservative is conservative? If I exceed no-deco time and have to do a deco stop, will the computer refuse to allow me a second dive before a 24 hour time period has elapsed?

Also, not too clear exactly on what the difference in algorithms is.

One day you can do the same dive and the next day get bent. Best advice?

STAY HYDRATED!!!

http://www.alertdiver.com/697 Dere ya go.

BTW I use external male catheters (thanks liberator medical).. pee valve and drysuit. I piss some 5+ times on a 3 hour dive as I hydrate like Brad Pitt on Burn After Reading.

I need to video the urine sometime!

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 7, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

fordan posted:

Finally pulled up the VM with my dive software in it to check again, and I was high; the actual SAC for my exciting 2 minute 15ft max depth dive was 2.258 ft3/min.

Just remember results are not that great when your first going down + water etc.

What was external temp? You can lose 200psi just hitting water due to temp changes. Need larger sample size.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Hopefully the weather clears up soon to allow for diving again. Its been all of terrible here.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well I will be going to MokuHo'oniki Rock (Molokai) and bringing my camera. Hopefully will get some good pics and video :)

Things seem to be settling down to allow me to do it tomorrow.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Did some wreck diving on Saturday and Sunday. Both dives were about 90 minutes surface to surface. I almost ran out of line on my 400ft reel on one penetration which is cool or disconcerting depending on how you look at it.

I dove an Evolution+ rebreather today and it's a cool unit. Trims out real nice. My only complaint about it that the bailout valve is a bit awkward and just dosen't feel well constructed. More generally, I'm so used to holding my breath when I get my buoyancy perfectly dialed in (before passing through a tight restriction or something) that I did it out of habit a few times which messes you up on a rebrerather. I'm taking it to a wreck diving sometime this week so we'll see how that works out.

Weather is not cooperating for some of the more aggressive dives but I've got almost a week to see if things clear up. On that subject: the snorkeling boats in Key Largo can be pretty evil. They go out pretty much regardless of weather, taking people who probably aren't used to being in rough seas to sites that have poo poo visibility because of how shallow they are. I saw a boat coming in earlier full of people that... did not look very excited about their experience.

Very cool the evo is a good unit, buoyancy is a totally different animal on the rebreather indeed. Holding breath is bad idea LOL.

The BOV are you talking of that lovely buddy air thing connected to the wing? I tore that off and have a aftermarket power inflator. I can shoot pics if needed, best thing to do would get a different alternate air source indeed. I hate that buddy air thing.

I am likely going on a rough boat tomorrow. I wonder if the length of rope + bucket will be needed to horse trough the vomit for people. Failing that it goes full blown shomit I will get video promise if that happens!

Man, that is pretty terrible. Not only do rough seas suck, but low vis snorkeling can be pretty terrifying for people who aren't experienced. I was out this weekend in Fort Lauderdale and the Viz was horrible. Couldn't see bottom in 20fsw. Mostly went fishing but got some diving in later in the day. Viz waslow enough to make hunting hard, and the only nice fish I put a shot on was too quick.

Rough seas are not so much what sucks, what sucks is visibility. But Terrifying is better than vomit there is a level of truth to this. You get somebody scared enough they wont poo poo or puke.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Welcome to Molokai

Yes that is me using the Rebreather, it allows me to spend time taking photos without really having to worry about no decompression limits the same as open circuit.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Some really awesome photos there, the fish variety in hawaii is just out of control, so many schools of color. What was the depth on those dives? Also your camera takes some pretty nice photos, what are you using?

I was over 100ft for a hour.. I am using a consumer grade canon G12 that has been a nonstop nightmare. It partial floods quite frequently its not designed for what I am doing. I have also only a single strobe as I imploded my other one. In the mean time I will use this till I get my DSLR case to go underwater with it and pro strobes.

Trivia posted:

I guess envy doesn't really describe how I feel right now.

Jerk.

Sorry :(

http://imgur.com/a/chmgv Here is the complete album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_2uobcNr0 some video stuff.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Man, I forget that hawaii's mountainous topography extends into the ocean. Here in Florida the only elevation we get is Reefs that have made themselves tall and the gradual slope into the ocean. I get a boner when I see a 10ft cliff lol.

Note: All pics are taken by me so they are free as in beer share them if you wish

Also all these are i.imgur.com/foobarh.jpg remove the trailing h on foobar and they punch out to full resolution if you wish to have larger copies or gain full res shots of one.

CONFINE TO BLOODY DEEP!!! This is over 300ft deep

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Yeah I just bought the case with the flat lens already on it. I did not want to deal with putting it on myself.

I havent used it yet myself but I will soon enough.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

This is why I do open water diving without overhead environments or restrictions. And if I do go in something there is plenty of room to get in and out of.

claustrophobia no tanks.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Diver Dick posted:

5 feet of visibility would be a great dive for me :smith:

I do underwater inspection (bridges mostly) as part of my job, and end up in <1 ft of vis quite often. Sometimes this is enough, and I can press my face plate/light up against whatever I want to get a look at.

Yep finding crap in this is VERY hard too if you only have a basic GPS and using Sonar... I have done it its not fun.. 3 hours to find a 4ft by 4ft block.. This was all to help a friend :)

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 18, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Diver Dick posted:

Gloves and fins wear out more quickly if we're working in salt water with oysters or barnacles. Stuff gets dropped off the boat or the truck, crushed under the team's pelican cases,

I suspect if you were using a rebreather you would be more careful with your gear.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Diver Dick posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't intentionally destroy things and I don't like spending money replacing broken gear. I do use comparatively expensive equipment. A Kirby Morgan hard hat runs north of $6000 new these days. I can't comment on how I'd treat a five figure rebreather, though. I have no firsthand knowledge of their durability.

e: removed unnecessary stuff... I'm tired and my flight is delayed. I get what you're saying, but you can't really compare a Corvette and a tractor.

I'll try and post some dive photos when I'm back home in a couple weeks.

I am going to have a super durable rebreather. This is 3mm plate titanium rebreather case for the inspiration. I am a Schnauzer Fanatic :)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Diver Dick posted:

Mind blown.

What type of rebreather? Do you do your own maintenance, or get it done through a shop? What are the maintenance intervals like?

I have a AP Inspiration, I do all my own maintenance as there is really no shop here to do it. Umm intervals? I guess its mainly keeping a eye on everything and checking o-rings and such. Just keeping it all inspected is key and checking for leaks and then addressing issues.

Then of course there is the 1st and 2nd stage rebuilds but thats standard.

Note: That titanium case is not complete yet its still being blasted to create titanium matte finish.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 20, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
LOL you guys crack me up. Yeah the panic diver stuff is pretty amazing how fast people just go poo poo bricks.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Bishop, Is it disturbing that I am worried about doing PADI IDC.. even though I am a full blown rebreather diver and PADI DM?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

If someone told me I could work out some kind of deal where I could scurb toilets and be someones bitch during the night. In exchange for diving everyday, and a little bit of food and water. Id say: where do I sign up?

I would soon slit my wrists than do that, not to knock the dive shop I go with I love their service but they treat their employees like crap. They work long long hours, haul tanks to oblivion, stuff is rarely in order... its chaos and nobody gets compensated for it.

I feel sorry for them.. Rarely do they ever get to dive for fun :(

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Some Poast Pictars, I hope you enjoy these :) This is Reef's End Molokini. Sadly I missed the Great White that showed up.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
ever thought of using cooper hoses for reduced breathing resistance macado?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

Since I'm not experienced with rebreathers I didn't know what these were until I looked them up. Very pricey but look nice/interesting. Seems like the smooth bore inside can reduce work of breathing effort but I'm not sure how much it would help with double hose regulators.

That is one of the reasons of the cooper hose is the reduced work of breathing. At any rate I thought you would find it interesting had you not heard of them. I have no idea how much it would help in your case however.

I know they keep trying to find ways to exhaust the bubbles better though as stated before. I generally think they all fail may as well blow them in the face.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
That is odd that you couldnt be in water? But that is the way it goes I guess? I am a certified DM so I can do what I want like you can with this thread!!! FUUU Rules! ohh wait :)

And thanks for the complements on the photos

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Diver Dick posted:

Yep. The problem is, some of their divers make the assertion that because they are "Doing It Right" then I must be doing it wrong.

I do about 80% of DIR but some other things I flat out disagree with and do my own thing. I think DIR is what you make it and have valid reasons for yes/no etc. If you can justify what you do and it makes sense and makes you SAFER then that is what I consider Doing it Right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

My deco first stage has BURN MARKS on the inside of it! Pure 02 had to have been igniting a bit inside of the stage, probably while I was opening the valve underwater and/or breathing it. Scary as gently caress. New reg time.

GOD!!! seriously bishop... This is why you inspect your stuff...

Some guy breathed off one of those and torched part of his lungs was in hospital for quite some time.

Crunkjuice posted:

I already planned not to go tech, but after my buddies accident and this, its pretty much sealed. Pure O2 is dangerous poo poo. I want to take the tec 40 or first tech class just to learn how to dive doubles, but thats about it.

I will post a video of me boosting O2 so either I will survive or will explode! BTW I use pure O2 in my rebreather its all but impossible to not, I also carry a pure O2 bailout. So long as your careful and use extreme caution its not too terrible bad.

ohh and use o2 compatible poo poo...

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 30, 2012