Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Agreeing with the above 100%. If you have trouble equalizing, terminate the dive. And for the love of god, if something starts bleeding, stop diving and seek medical attention.

Was it your ears or your nose that was bleeding? I'd be really concerned about a ruptured eardrum at this point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trivia posted:

Has anyone been/heard of good diving in Vietnam? I may find myself there this winter, and I'd like to know if there's a locale I should hit up for a couple of days at least.

YES. I spent a week in Con Dao, which is an island off the southern coast, and it had some of the most amazing, unspoiled reefs I've ever seen. You can fly there from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) for $75-$150 round trip. There are some fancy resorts on the island, as well as some cheaper places, so I think it'll fit most budgets. I personally stayed at the Six Senses resort, which was lovely, apart from the dive master (more about that in a minute). The island is mostly a national park and a military base, so there's a lot of unspoiled natural beauty (and a now-closed prison that was used during the war, which is of historical interest).

I booked the trip planning to schedule dives through the resort, but I was so totally unimpressed with my first conversation with the resort divemaster that I decided to seek options elsewhere on the island. I'm very glad I did. I ended up diving with these guys:

http://www.dive-condao.com/

They have - by far - the best dive boat on the island, are very safety-conscious and have highly professional dive masters. Great folks, I really enjoyed my whole experience with them. The owner, an American, is a font of local knowledge and was happy to help arrange other activities on the island (and seemed to be able to do so better and cheaper than the Six Senses concierge). They were happy to take us out and do as much diving as we were up for, and the boat was by no means crowded.

There was a wide variety of dive sites. Most of the dives tended to be in shallower water (30-60 feet), which was nice as I tend to use a ton of air. The coral was amazing. Easily the most unspoiled reefs I've seen anywhere. As far as marine life goes, lots of mantas, sea turtles, and particularly cuttlefish, which I'd never seen before in the wild. It was cuttlefish mating season and we saw quite a few mating pairs.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It might rule out some of the dive sites, but there's a lot of good diving in the lee side of the island that is protected from the wind.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I should also add that I went in early January, and didn't have any problems.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's a great course! But not something I'd want to do while on vacation...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ah, that's a good point. Well, at least you won't have to do it in a quarter-inch wetsuit, in Seattle, in winter, like I did... ;)

(Uphill and in the snow. Both ways.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Crunkjuice posted:

They make drysuits for a reason

There were no drysuits available for rental in King County big enough to fit me, and I couldn't afford a custom one. :P

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trivia posted:

As for the whale sharks, such is life. I've seen one in the Maldives so if I don't get around to it it's not the end of the world.

Lucky! I was there in the right season, but didn't see any.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I had to dive with 70 pounds and a steel 100 when I did my drysuit cert :smith:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Also, kinda related question--if all the cards I have gotten come from NAUI, would a PADI shop accept those for prerequisite completion?

They always have for me. My advanced cert is from NAUI, but all my other cards are PADI, and no instructor has ever given me trouble over it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
$70 is a pretty substantial chunk of the price to just get certified, I think. Still, if you're not sure if scuba diving is for you, it's probably worth it.

They'll probably provide everything you need, but if you have your own mask/fins you might be more comfortable in that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That sounds like good training. Mine didn't have nearly so lovely a poo poo buddy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is the boat recovery mandatory in SSI training? My PADI rescue course didn't have it (and we had no boat to do it with; we were diving off a freezing beach north of Seattle).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, we definitely did that part, and it was pretty physically challenging.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trivia posted:

I didn't have a multiple distressed diver scenario. I feel cheated dammit.

On a different note, I'm thinking of going to Hawaii in December. Can anyone recommend if / where I should go diving? I prefer non-touristy areas in all honesty.

What islands are you visiting? I've only dove on the Big Island, but I've done it quite a bit and enjoyed it. Kona has historically tended to be less touristy than Hilo, but I'm not sure if that's true anymore. Strong recommendation for Big Island Divers, though, if you do go there, particularly their "black water" nighttime pelagic dive.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trivia posted:

I haven't decided which island, which means I'm open to any of them really. I DO love night dives though. I went to Indonesia this last August and my last dive was a night dive in the lovely harbor. Saw a ton of great things, including an octopus which we saw feeding. The little dude was gorging on the red worm-things that our torches brought out of hiding.

You'll want to do the manta ray dive there as well, then. (It's a night dive when the plankton swarm and a bunch of mantas show up to feed). You are not only guaranteed to see mantas, you will have to duck to keep them from clocking you in the head.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
When I went to the Maldives on my honeymoon, I saw 0.00 whale sharks and the resort didn't bother putting any friction strips on their dock, so it was covered with slippery algae scuzz, resulting in my slipping while doing a giant stride entry and snapping my tailbone clean off. The 30+ hours hours of flying home were fun, I can tell you. :smithicide:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jackyl posted:

Just got back a bit ago from a three tank dive in key largo, including our first spiegal grove dive. That wreck owns.

Spiegel Grove was my first deep dive. It was still lying on its side when I dove it - the idea that it actually rolled upright is still mindblowing to me. I really have to make it back down there...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jackyl posted:

That's cool, it would have been amazing to see it sideways. But right side up... The thing is massive and I get why they say you can dive it 10 times and it's a new experience each time.

E: and I've read how it got turned upright, but after seeing it in person, I agree with your mindblowing comment

Yeah! I would give a lot to have seen the reaction of the first person to dive the wreck after the hurricane. "WTF" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Did you, like Douglas Adams, nearly trip over a Komodo dragon as you got off the boat?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Even breathing makes you use more air. Freediving supremacy, I guess? :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
edit: I'm misremembering things from years ago, never mind.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My ex loved diving with a passion despite having the worst motion sickness I've ever seen. Dramamine didn't help much. She would start almost every boat dive by puking into her regulator. I can't even imagine.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Considering a trip to Asia to learn and do some scuba diving. I have been free diving for many years and am pretty good at it - one reason I've never bothered to learn scuba. But I think it's now time.

Here's my question. I love coral reefs, and if I'm going to go all the way to Asia, I want to see some of the best I reasonably can. There's been coral bleaching all over the world, and there's few reefs left that are in good health. Which are some good ones left? Thailand? Indonesia? Can anyone make a recommendation of a coral reef in great condition that's also suitable for a beginner diver?

The reefs of some of the islands off Vietnam (like Con Dao) are also pretty unspoiled, for the moment. I can only speak for Con Dao from experience, but it was honestly some of the most beautiful reef I've ever seen. Cuttlefish everywhere too; they were mating when I was there. Lots of docked spaceships hovering around.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

let it mellow posted:

dude I'm assuming your girlfriend knows what's going on but nitrox isn't for deep dives, I have no idea what your mix was on this dive but you were probably hitting or exceeding your max depth if you really went that deep

I was hoping he was mixing up meters and feet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

taco show posted:

Passed my last pool dive! I’m gonna be swimming in a chilly quarry next weekend for the final cert test and I’ll need a watch.

Should I just shell out for an actual dive computer or just use a waterproof watch (I have an Apple Watch) and the tables? My actual trip is at the end of August and we’ll be doing 2-3 dives a day.

DO NOT DIVE WITH YOUR APPLE WATCH.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht205000

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

lord1234 posted:

A friend has been diving with his drysuit on and an IWatch underneath for a bit. It tracks his heart rate while he is diving.

I've had too many leaky gaskets and bad seals to take a chance on that, but maybe if I could afford my own drysuit I'd be blase about expensive electronics too. Cool idea though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

lord1234 posted:

give me your ideas on how you would do this without a watch, because I have wanted to do this for a while

Apparently if you don't mind spending even more than :homebrew: there are actual chest band products that just straight up talk to a compatible dive computer:

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-utcglhrmu/scubapro-heart-rate-monitor-kit-for-galileo-luna-computers

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I got my basic, nitrox and rescue certs from PADI, but my advanced scuba diver cert is from NAUI, and nobody ever cared one way or the other.

I'd be really curious if you guys could talk a little about how GUE differs in approach as I'm not familliar with it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, that sounds a more systematic approach for turning out skilled divers; I feel like based on my experience PADI is going for maximum accessibility and simplicity but that doesn't mean it produces better divers. As a massive nerd I would have preferred GUE's approach.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wickerman posted:

I signed up for the NAUI diver cert and I'll probably also do a nitrox cert as well, since they offer that during the open water dives. Pretty excited right now!

I strongly recommend it, the nitrox cert is one you will use a lot pretty much right away.

Welcome to the underwater world!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

let it mellow posted:

Congrats on learning to dive, it owns! But my vote is wait on nitrox, you aren’t going to hit deco issues right after OW. And you have a lot to think about the first few times, worrying about mixes and max depth isn’t necessary.

This is a good point, too, of course.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Even in warm water I mostly see the divemaster in a drysuit (minus insulating layer) a lot of the time for thermal reasons. Age is a factor.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Nice shot! Sorry you didn't find any Legal Seafood.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
These the guys?

https://www.8diving.com/

Cute logo!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Key Largo folks, how is the Spiegel Grove holding up these days? I dove it just weeks before it got blown right-side-up and I haven't made it back yet but I really want to.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Coooooooool. Lookin' good! When I was there you could still see mostly bare hull and paint! Thanks for sharing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Squashy Nipples posted:

A hood. Once you put a hood on, and it fills with water, you are basically deaf.

What do you want to protect your ears from? It's an odd question.

Lionfish hunting with a Glock is a thing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sharkytm posted:

Because gently caress THE REEF and gently caress OTHER SPECIES!

Jesus, people are dumb. What's so hard about using a speargun? Lionfish don't exactly swim away IME.

I figured the issue was not killing lionfish fast enough with just spearguns, but I know very little about spearguns. Is it possible to reload and use them more than once in a dive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yes. There's no good reason to use a gun, which is how I knew it was the US, and probably Florida.

Yeah, I guess we can add lead poisoning to the list of reef woes :smith:

Apparently iRobot, maker of Roombas and robotic pool cleaners, wants to build a lionfish-killing ROV, which sounds like a possibly good idea. I am envisioning it having a hose that can vacuum lionfish into a collection apparatus for study and/or disposal with an adorable little "fwump" sound, but since iRobot is a Florida-based company it'll probably use twin AKs from Palmetto State Armory.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 8, 2019