Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have any experience with the PADI online Open Water course?

Considering knocking that out, since my schedule is completely whack-a-doodle, and doesn't allow me to attend many of the scheduled open water classes.

(I've already found a PADI shop that does the pool/ocean portions of the class on days I can attend.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

[Whining]Why are OW classes always on the weekend?[/whining]

Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have Saturday and Sunday off. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Openwater class diary, day two: Breathing underwater is loving cool.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Openwater class diary, day three, ocean dives one and two:

Barracuda reef and the caves, Fort Lauderdale. There was supposed to be four students, so there was an instructor and a DM, but I'm the only student who showed, so I had a pretty awesome instructor-to-student ratio. :v:

First dive, got in the water, and poo poo, I didn't load enough weights, and couldn't sink. (First time in seawater with my wetsuit.)

CESAs suck, and practicing them is more than enough motivation to ensure I never have to do one for real.

My air consumption, which sucked hard through all of the pool work and the first dive, was almost as good as the DM on the second dive, once I could settle down and mostly just relax and swim along. I was very pleasantly surprised, and a little proud, since I'm a pretty large dude. After the instructor asked for bottle pressure and I gave him 2000psi for the third time, he came over and checked my gauge, and seemed genuinely surprised. I was expecting to use quite a bit more.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Welp, I'm a certified diver.

:homebrew:

Open water diary, dives three and four:

AL80s and their buoyancy-changing ways can kiss my rear end. Sleeping nurse sharks are adorable.

Finished dive four with three hundred pounds more air than my instructor. :haw:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bangkero posted:

Sorry if we sound unbearable (we are), but that's what we do when it's the middle of winter and can't go diving. Take a look at this article to help trim yourself: http://www.sportdiver.com/learn-to-dive/article/buoyancy-calculator-scuba-divers

It's cool. When people are unbearable, there's generally something to learn.

I'll retaliate by pointing out that what may have been the worst loving day for diving all year in Lauderdale still had 72° water.

:downswords: :haw:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Key West dive trip starts on Monday. Yessssssssssss.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Key West dive trip report: Vandenberg trip on Tuesday got scrubbed and we lost a day of diving due to the dive operator allowing a large tour group to gangle-gently caress their schedule and pushing individuals with specific reservations off the boat. They offered us dives this morning which were canceled due to lovely weather. Not happy, will not be recommending that operator.

The wet side of the operation was absolutely superb, though. The captain and DMs were extremely thorough and helpful, without being intrusive. Reef dives were awesome: Got buzzed by a Carribean reef shark a couple times, saw tons of barracuda, found $12 cash and a Canadian student's ID card. Good times.

Need to find a small dump bag for crap I find on the bottom. Plastic bags, ID cards, mask straps, etc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Red_Fred posted:

I really should sign up for a garbage collection dive.

I'm thinking about finally buying regs. My LDS have helped me narrow it down to SP mk25/G260 (or S600) or Apeks DST/XTX50. I'm erring on the side of the Apeks as they are a bit cheaper (one plus of Brexit), environmentally sealed and come standard with flexi hoses.

What is the gooncensus?

Oddly, I just got the SP Mk25evo/S600, and my girlfriend dives the Apeks DST/XTX50, so I can actually directly compare the two, since I've dived both. (Though the Apeks only once, and pretty shallow.)

They're damned near identical in breath draw, which is to say they both breath extremely easy, and both have breathing effort adjustments. The S600 also has a pre-dive/dive selector, so you can keep whatever breathing setting you want, and still prevent freeflows without having to readjust. They're both really, really good regs, and light-years ahead of probably any rental regs you're likely to run into.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A cheap plastic bin from Home Depot is great for throwing in your car too, so your carpets don't start smelling like seawater. Also keeps your crap from sliding under the seats if it manages to get out of your gear bag, somehow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've used spit, and it works alright, but 50/50 baby shampoo and distilled water, rinsed with seawater once in the water works better for me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You can upload to YouTube as an unlisted video, which means you can only watch it if you have the link. It won't show up on a search, or on your channel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

...and water temperature of 47F (~8C) which I think might be the coldest I've ever dove.

:gonk:

People around here are relieved that water temps are finally swinging back up to normal after their "frigid" wintertime lows of 73-75°F. I always think of stuff like this when I hear it.

Great pics! My photography skills are basically "point GoPro at thing, never copy files off of GoPro."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just finished my AOW cert with a night dive on the Tracey. Saw the resident Goliath, off in the distance, eyeballing us, among other things.

Night dives are loving cool. But now it's eleven-thirty and I have to clean gear.

:(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cross post from the OSHA thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPMfHUIVvk

:gonk:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gromit posted:

Would have been cool if we'd had that happen while we were in the water, but then we probably wouldn't have noticed them.

If my limited experience is any indication, you'll know there are dolphins around, but you probably won't ever see them. I've heard/felt dolphin sonar/chatter a couple times, but they seem to give divers a pretty wide berth.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Math problems are a good way. I feel the same way and then someone handed me a slate with some simple arithmetic at 120'.

This. I was on a wreck at ~110ft recently that had been reefed in 1989, and while at depth tried to figure out how long it had been there... I was nearly unable to do so, and managed it only after what felt like a couple of full minutes of pondering how math worked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Also, if you're planning on snorkeling in the tropics, full-foot fins are a little bit easier to deal with. I recently tried snorkeling with my open-foot fins and 3mm booties (was on a dive vacation, and didn't want to bring four sets of fins,) and had a hell of a time getting the damned things entirely underwater; The booties were buoyant enough to make my feet float at the surface. Conversely, I love my open-foot fins for diving.

Maybe broken-in booties would be a little bit less bouyant?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Future Wax posted:

Yeah, I think this is my problem. I guess I'll just have to keep working on my nose breathing. If I contort my tongue a certain way it seems to help, although it feels really unnatural, but as long as it gets me through that's all that matters.

When swimming without a mask, when you dive into a pool or such, do you use your fingers to pinch your nose closed?

I was taught from a young age to blow air out my nose at water entry, or any time I wasn't vertical in the water to keep the water out. Consequently, clearing a mask is a non-event for me, but I can't really explain how I do it, either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

redreader posted:

There was a guy diving with us in hawaii who didn't bother with a wetsuit. Just fins/bdc+tanks etc, / mask. Not even a shorty or anything. Swimsuit and a surfing second skin/shirt or whatever they're called.

Hawaiian waters are cold, compared to the Caribbean. I wear shorts and a rash guard in Florida from April or May until November or December. I wore my 4/3 full wetsuit and booties in Hawaii, because I’m a weak baby man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

Either way you load them drive as if you were carrying bombs rockets, because you are.

Otherwise accurate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The trick is to get out of the water after your last dive of the day, shotgun two beers, and take a nap.

Best sleep of your life. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrNemo posted:

Yeah there's not much in the way of safety as a factor in choosing computer. Basically all modern computers should work well and have a basic sensible algorithm (barring occasional quality issues, I think the Mares Puck had a bad run a while ago). Nitrox capability is also pretty universal now but worth checking.

Clarity of the display is probably the major one, especially the display on the dive (as opposed to the surface display). Make sure it's clear and easy for you to understand. No Deco Time should be really prominent and current depth should be the next most obvious data items. Being able to set conservatism ratings can be useful as it lets you tone down the agressiveness of your dive profiles if you find yourself feeling really worn out after diving or you've got any health factors. Profile is also worth thinking about, the two general approaches seem to be big and clear or smaller and portable. The latter look more like watches and can be worn all day (makes it easier to make sure you've got your computer on) and the former are easier to use and read. If you're doing any cold water diving or have eyesight issues I would seriously advise ignoring fashion and getting a big one like the Zoop.

Beyond that some things to think about might be air integration to let you monitor everything in one place. Gas switching is a nice option if you think your diving might develop to using a richer mix for decompression (very, very much an optional feature). Gauge mode is a good future proof as well since if you want to do more advanced diving it will still be able to work as a backup with tables. A more important extra factor is computer integration. I've got an Oceanic Geo 2 and it has a USB cable that lets it upload to the Oceanic logbook programme, so it will automatically upload depth, time, profile and I can add in location data and dive notes. Air integration means that also gets included automatically. I think most modern computers have a cable or bluetooth capability but it's worth checking as some charge extra and some are infrared connections (they'll also sell you an overpriced IR dongle).

Nitrox is available in basically all but the most basic, budget computers. One thing that I’d look for specifically is the above mentioned editable profiles and stop depths, but for opposite reasons. My Suunto Vyper Novo is a great computer, but the thing insists on REALLY shallow safety stops. Everyone I dive with plans a twenty foot safety stop, so after stopping with everyone else for five minutes at twenty feet, my computer loses its loving mind as I pass through ten feet. I also consistently have the most conservative bottom times and surface intervals, sometimes by as much as 20% compared to someone else with a different computer. Being able to tweak those things would make it a much better computer, though I’d already recommend it. The display is extremely easy to read, and it’s easy to use, even with thick gloves on.

I got mine for less than half price, when someone gave me an older Suunto computer that was in need of service. Suunto doesn’t make parts for that model anymore, and upgraded me for like $275.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I just got back from Indonesia and have a ton of pictures, would it be okay to post ~20 pics to this thread or is that too spammy?

This is a silly question.

:justpost:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hell yes. What was the water temp?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

54F/12C. Not bad.

Winter typically has warmer water, since there's less upwelling, but and the kelp dies back due to the shorter days.

What kind of exposure protection were you wearing? That’s almost twenty degrees colder than I’ve ever dove in.

Because I’m a spoiled Florida fucker. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kelp forests and Alaska are two of my cold water bucket list items... I need to get dry-suit certified.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Skip the snorkel, it's a pointless item that nobody actually uses outside of the PADI OW course and is more hassle than it's worth.

If your school INSISTS that you use a snorkel during class, either get the cheapest $9 compliance snorkel you can find, or find one you’d be comfortable snorkeling with. Dive trips often come with snorkeling opportunities.

* BCD or plate+wing.

The holy war has arrived.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Vikings posted:

Looking for any recommandations for diving spots easy enough to get to from the east coast for a couple of days in mid-july. We are california locals but looking to meet up with a friend from DC who just got their open water, somewhere closer to the east coast. Tried to dive NC last summer and got scrubbed due to small craft advisory, and I've done a few spots in the keys before. She mentioned Bahamas for some reason. Where might be most worth it for just a couple of days of diving?

Florida’s east coast from Jupiter south to Key West has solid spots the whole way down.

I can be more specific if you’re interested.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, I just booked a seven day live-aboard on Roatan Aggressor for the more attractive half and myself.

Booking a dive trip makes me want to go diving. It’s a horrible spiral.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

let it mellow posted:

gently caress yeah, we saw the roatan aggressor a bunch a few weeks ago, please provide an aggressor trip report

Not till March, unfortunately, but I certainly will.

let it mellow posted:

not that goon but please be more specific about Jupiter, we live there now :)

I've not been out with them myself, but these guys are very highly regarded by my friends who have dove with them. I really want to come up and do Blue Heron Bridge, and some of the other shallow-water dives up there as well. Most of my diving has been boat dives, which are a blast, but I really enjoy beach diving, and I need to do more of it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrNemo posted:

What this guy said. It will manage 2-3m ok in waterproof mode but really it's just designed for swimming. 2 options if you want to be cheap: Casio waterproof watch and tables or look for a second hand Suunto Zoop type dive computer on eBay. Normal caveat emptor but my first dive computer was an eBay special and I was very happy with it.

Most manufacturer will honour warranty faults as long as no one has tried to do something stupid with it.

Suunto does periodic upgrade deals too; When I was getting certified, my girlfriend had a spare older Vyper, which had a faulty pressure transducer. I took it in for service and the tech couldn’t repair it because Suunto stopped making parts for that model. $350 later, and I have a brand new Suunto Vyper Novo, which is ~$600 at retail.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kesper North posted:

I've had too many leaky gaskets and bad seals to take a chance on that, but maybe if I could afford my own drysuit I'd be blase about expensive electronics too. Cool idea though.

Not to mention that there are cheaper ways to track heart rate than an Apple Watch.

...And now I want to track my heart rate while diving. Thanks, thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I didn't do any training through them, but I dove with Kaimana Divers while I was visiting, and have nothing but great things to say about them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wait a minute... I'm confused. 68 degrees is cold to you?

68° for Florida divers is loving freezing. It’s generally like 74° even in the dead of winter.

:downsgun:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trivia posted:

I got cold diving in 26C water with a 5 milli suit with a rashie. It's me, I'm terrible.

Last dive was just shy of a month ago, and it was fully 86° (30°C) at the surface, and never went below 82° even at 70ft. I dove with board shorts and a rashguard. Florida is awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tesilential posted:

It’s flat out amazing. The purest form of hunting fish.

I’ve gone with diving with spearfishermen, but never done it myself. Looks fun, but I’m still content stabbing lion fish in the face.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Meclizine makes me sleepy, but the danger there is falling asleep on the drive to or from the dive. I've never been drowsy underwater.

Other tips: Stay outside on the boat. Don't go in the cabin (if there is one) and stare at the floor, it'll just get worse. Best place to be is as close to the stern as you can get, on the centerline of the boat. That point will have the smallest rolling and pitching motion while under power. Stay out in the fresh air, and if there is land on the horizon, face that way and look at that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Right, but that's rock lobster right, not Maine Lobster? No big claws?

In MA, as a scuba diver, you can't hunt at night (nothing after sundown), you must use your hands (no traps, snares, or spears), and if you use a "tickle stick", it can't have a hook on it, or a pointy end, and any bends must be less then 30 degrees.

Also, minimum and maximum thorax size based on a gauge, no taking eggers (holding external fertilized eggs), and no taking females with notched tails. Then the professional lobstermen pull up an egger, they notch her tail, which gives her an additional two seasons to lay eggs, and maybe make it to maximum size.

LOL, temperate? Around here, the colder the water, the more life there is! A lot of the really good diving is up in Maine, but again, no lobstah there.
We have crustaceans, vast beds of shellfish (including giant scallops, yum), fin fish (including sharks), seals (grey seals are making a come back), nudibranch, green urchins (think sushi), tons of different kinds of seaweed and kelp. Oh, and flounder is plentiful. Sadly, the cod is pretty much gone. :(

The Atlantic's patterns pretty much split at Cape Cod: north of the Cape is part of the North Atlantic, and south of The Cape is the Mid-Atlantic. There is usually at least a 10 degree difference in water temps on either side of the cape!

Come on up for a visit, I'll take you lobster diving. I only dive wet, so my season is like May through November.

I had no idea you could take cold-water lobster on scuba at all. I thought the commercial guys had shut everyone else out of the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The season is just about over for it, but anyone who hasn’t done the Goliath Grouper dives with Jupiter Dive Center is doing it wrong.