Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Dude, those are some outstanding photos. Here's a link to the old thread for those who are interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Buh posted:

How long can the expert free divers hold their breath? It's hard to tell from that video, but it seems like a drat long time.
This sport looks amazing; I really want to go get certified. Wish I wasn't dirt broke.

Intro free divers start around five minutes, then progress to about ten. Expert free divers can push that into the 15 minute range, and the world record is just shy of 20. Pretty incredible.

quote:

How fit do you really need to be to do this and not die? Sedentary goon here, who would be morbidly obese if not for my skinny genes. I can run maybe a couple hundred metres before I pray for death and retreat back to my goon cave.

Well basic diving is pretty possible for a wide-range of body-types. Someone who is moderately overweight should have few problems. But you need to be able to demonstrate swimming capability; truly obese people will face a variety of other risks and limitations that would preclude any advanced diving.

quote:

Is a proper scuba mask perfectly watertight, so you could wear contacts? I've never been able to wear them under swimming goggles because water inevitably gets in my eyes.

Many people are able to dive just fine with contacts, though prescription goggles are also available. Unlike swimming goggles that just go over your eyes, the inclusion of the nose-piece allows divers to blow air into their mask and then force water out of their goggles (called clearing). I know a number of dive masters who wear contacts while diving.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Those numbers are very high.

Ah cool my mistake. Sounds like I'm going to be able to tease my freediving buddy a bit!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

ZoCrowes posted:

Boots- Go with a 3mm high cut starting it out. It's your most versatile option.

3mm is a versatile thickness, but I really would recommend on talking to the local divers and having your gear be appropriate for the local conditions. And go warm rather than go cold. I've seen guys get a nice case of hypothermia because they tried to get their versatile tropic-water gear to work in my cold NW waters rather than shell out cash for a rental. Trust me: that's no fun for anybody.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

PADI's Scuba Diver basically means that you can buy their equipment but are incapable of using it safely. :D (Usually because you're a child)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

That is some sad poo poo mate, glad to hear he's in good hands though. Is he military? How'd he manage to swing BAMC? They're literally the best, though Landstuhl gives them a run for their money in terms of immediate care.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Crunkjuice posted:

VVV I have no idea if he was military or not. This happened in downtown austin, so maybe they are treating him there because of the severity. I'm not sure.

Oh, if he's that close then it would probably happen as a matter of course. BAMC does treat local civilians. In that he's lucky, he really couldn't find better qualified professionals to help provide him care. Best wishes to full recoveries to both of you, mate.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Definitely don't use a power drill, but you do need to switch tools. Try to find a screw extractor small enough to fit.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Crunkjuice posted:

Seriously, Dm'ing for a rescue class is the best.

Haha no loving doubt. Though the (otherwise very experienced) ex-mil DM in my Rescue course made the mistake of choosing me to demonstrate good techniques with an active drowner - not knowing I had done a bunch of that stuff as a lifeguard. :D That poo poo was loving funny.

Gotta keep you DMs on your toes!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 22, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

That is so cool. You look like a guy out of James Bond.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ffffuck that. I know a number of tech divers but none of them have told me horror stories like that. Glad you caught it in time.

Maintenance and Due Diligence! What am I doing tonight? Re-cleaning my poo poo that's what. :science:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

BiggerJ posted:

I've never dived, but I've noticed that a lot of popular overseas diving locations are in poorer countries. Since diving is an expensive hobby, are divers from overseas ever automatically seen by locals as 'ugly Americans'? For those who want to visit such countries to dive there, what are some tips for careful, conscientous behavior? I've heard of some divers bringing supplies for local schools, which is admirable.

It really depends on where you're going and what kind of diving you're talking about. Diving runs the gamut from party yacht folks drinking and diving their way around the Pacific Rim to casual vacationers trying out scuba in between Hawaiian luaus; there's popular dive resorts that have a dozen charter boats at every hole, and there's more remote places that only see a handful of eco-tourists each season.

Overall I'd say that divers tend to be relatively responsible tourists - no doubt part of that is because diving requires a significant time and financial investment and precludes heavy drinking.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SlicerDicer posted:

Awesome that you are doing a breather. Just dont use splitfins you will drown!

I don't understand, why shouldn't he wear split fins?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bishop posted:

Potential huge derail here that eventually leads back to a DIR argument. So to start: use whatever fins you want. None are going to kill you. THAT SAID, I would never use split fins. I like stiff single fins. Jet fins ideally. I think the fine tune control they give you is superb, especially in environments where kicks are super important like overhead. Also I don't buy the argument that some split fins give you more power. I think they just make kicking easier because you aren't moving as much water. Willing to be proven wrong on that second point though.

Crunkjuice posted:

Possible huge derail indeed, but at least its scuba related. I agree for tech/rebreather you should use stiff, powerful single fins. You are carrying so much more gear/weight that you need the extra power, especially if you get into trouble. If you dive in the ocean, or water with currents, single blade fins are the way to go.

Ah sweet thanks. I was wondering if it was something breather specific (which I suppose it is because of the increased weight of the gear). I dive with Twin Jets too, and I totally love them, but it's cool to hear other takes on the Great Debate.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

To continue the split fin chat, I was doing some reading and found a nice little scientific study that says that splits, jets, rigidity, etc., don't matter and so we may as well be strapping bark to our feet.

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/3936/12841609.pdf?sequence=1

Well maybe not bark. But the next best thing. Their favorites were the Mares Attack and the Apollo Bio-Fin Pro.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 3, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

If you're new to contacts, be sure to give yourself some time to get used to them before diving with them. Your eyes will already be sensitive and the additional stresses of diving won't help matters.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Crunkjuice posted:

Solid plan. I've been glasses for 11 years. Getting a week or two experience under my belt would be smart before I took a deep class down to 100 feet.

Well dude, welcome to being awesome. Diving aside, contacts are so loving cool. I wore contacts and glasses for most of my life, and contacts were such an upgrade from glasses. Well done mate. My only tip is to not be a pussy about using that saline solution, particularly for the first few weeks. Your eyes will be dryer than normal, and loving around with it instead of putting the juice in your eyes is just stupid.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Azzip posted:

Laser eye surgery is the way to go if you can afford to drop the cash, though the 3-4 months until you can dive again might be a drawback (I had it done in August 2010 and ended up doing my OW in November so it worked out very nicely).

Yeah same, laser eyes are the best.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

I'd just like to say that I never knew this stereotype existed.

To get to the ocean you first must leave your parent's basement.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Agreed. A dive computer is nice but not necessary. Many people get really interested in the sport and buy all the gear, only to realize later that they don't really go diving very often. The basics are nice to have around because they're really just snorkeling gear.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Isn't it a huge pain in the rear end not having a computer though? I'm just now reading through the class books and it seems like it would be a hassle having to plan dives manually. Even if only diving once a year.

It's really not that difficult to do, but if it sets your mind at ease then and seems affordable then go for it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I find that lots of people try out diving as a way to gain confidence in water, and for the most part it seems to work. The fins and the air tank really go a long way to making you feel comfortable and capable in the water. 80 degree water doesn't really mandate a wetsuit, but there's a variety of reasons you'll probably want to wear one: You'll be spending more time at depth than you're used to, and the water will be colder after you go under the thermocline. It also protects your skin and increases your natural buoyancy. I'd suggest wearing a 2mm shorty at least. If you're concerned about a suit being uncomfortable or stifling, I can tell you that while they're a bit awkward on land they feel like a seal skin underwater. Still like you said, some people dispense with it all together in tropical areas, so it's not required.

Have fun diving!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Guam is noticeably warmer than Hawaiian water (4-5 degrees F warmer). HI is relatively cooler than many tropical areas due to its geographical position. Still, water transfers heat away from you 20 times as quickly as air; so any water temperature less than 98F will cool you down during prolonged immersion. But that's one of the nice things about a drysuit - you can easily adapt to water temperature by adding or removing the insulating layers you're wearing under it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-c54307/Maui:Hawaii:Whats.The.Water.Temperature..html

Kaal
May 22, 2002

loving jeeeeeaaaaalouuussssssssssss

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trivia posted:

Goddamn, that would have been pretty boss. I've heard about diving at aquariums, but it's usually super expensive and I imagine not that great considering liabilities and all.

Check out if they have any volunteer programs. The one nearest my town does, and it would let me do a bunch of cool dives while also helping out the community. Sadly nearest still means an hour away, and I'd still have to rent equipment to do it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hair. :rimshot:

Haha I kid. This is never a problem for the folks diving out here in the Northwest since everyone wears a full hood (and there's never any sun anyway), but I know that some of the guys like wearing bandannas to keep their hair under control and it seems to work pretty well.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bob Loblaw posted:

I'm going to sound like a big baby here to the rest of the board I'm sure, but I would recommend against it.

ZoCrowes posted:

I'm going to take the opposite viewpoint and say go ahead and take your Advanced. The Advanced Course is something of a misnomer*. Taking the Advanced Course does not make you an advanced diver it just means that you have been exposed to more challenging diving situations while under the guidance of an instructor.

I'd say that you both have very valid perspectives. The advanced course isn't particularly advanced, and it is something that is quite doable by someone fresh from OW1. But if you aren't feeling relatively comfortable in the water by the end of your Open Water training, I'd hesitate about attempting a deep dive. I think that the advanced course is great at turning a middling newbie diver into a more experienced and confident one. They say that most dive accidents occur within your first 10 dives, and performing those dives under the watchful eye of a Divemaster seems like a good idea to me. But if you're still experiencing anxiety or having difficulty performing CESAs and other required techniques, then it might be better to do some more dives with an experienced buddy that can give you their full attention.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

One actually commented on my predive checks because I smelled the air coming from my regulator, he said nobody does that anymore, but it's nice to see.

He'd probably know better than me whether people are practicing that, but it's definitely an important check that you should perform. You're sniffing the air to check for gasoline fumes, and then you should breath it in as a secondary test. You don't want to wait to find out that you're huffing carbon monoxide during your dive. Probably not an issue in Hawaii, but many areas off the beaten track still use the old gasoline engine air compressors.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

I kinda gave him a :stare: and did some explaining. So very very glad I went with a hard-rear end instructor for my OWD.

Those people scare the gently caress out of me. I'm always just like, "You do realize that you're in charge of not killing yourself, right?"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Gizmodo has a sweet diving-related article series that I thought that you guys would definitely be interested in. They've got some guys diving down to the last remaining underwater research base and showing off how amazing it is. Apparently the thing has been operating for 20 years!

quote:

You can see it from the surface of the water: a blue outline 50 feet down. Aquarius. The last undersea base. Diving down to it is like falling slowly into another world.

I wish I could live there. The fish would be my neighbors. The sky would always be blue—if a little wet. And, instead of a stroll, I'd just go for a swim. This Saturday, I watched Aquanauts move in. And then it was my turn. I threw on my gear and hit the water.

The visibility was 60-70 feet, as it often is in here. I could see schools of fish gathering around the habitat's hull; it looked like an Airstream—if an Airstream was designed to be towed behind a nuclear submarine.

As soon as we drop below, the clock starts its count down. Since I am not diving saturated—as the Aquanauts are—I can only stay down for 82 minutes. Aquarius' base is 60 feet below, on the bottom of Conch Reef, but it's less than 2 minutes to the entrance, which is at 48 feet. That leaves 10 minutes to change out of my wet clothing and 10 minutes at the end of the visit to get out and get back to the surface. And about an hour in the base itself. One mustn't dawdle outside with the fish.

http://gizmodo.com/5926433/this-is-how-you-live-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Sometimes I find it helps to loosen up my neck muscles a bit by rolling my head around. But mostly I just hold my nose and blow against it to clear. Basically it's just takes a bit of practice to figure out what works for you. My best piece of advice to you is to take it slowly, since if you irritate your ears then it can become more difficult.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Those shots are awesome!!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Crunkjuice posted:

I've never seen anyone taught to have a tank valve facing towards the rear of their unit (if thats what you are talking about). You teach with snorkels because snorkels are useful in rough water, and you keep octos off the left side because its a big entanglement hazard with your inflator hose and possibly console during an emergency. None of what you said is an actual scuba problem, led alone inhibiting "progress"

I absolutely agree with all of this. Rough water diving will definitely make you regret leaving that snorkel behind or allowing your hoses to get tangled if they got thrown around. And even if veteran divers end up wanting to dive without a snorkel or move around the layout of their gear, we should not be teaching new divers to use those techniques right off the bat.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bishop posted:

In my experience rubbing some toothpaste in with your fingertip then rinsing it works very well as a way to prep your mask before a trip. Also spit in your mask before every dive. I'm bot sure if the toothpaste hurts the mask but it is not something I worry about. I adopt whatever masks people leave in my shed (although I like my primary enough that I will probably replace it with the same model if it goes bad...). Suffice to say I'm not too strict on masks: if they don't leak or fog and you like them, go for it.

I agree with this in general, but ScubaPro specifically instructs buyers to not use abrasive on the mask because of a "special finish". I have no idea what that new finish might be, but I'd try using the mask a few times before using toothpaste on it. Personally I only used toothpaste on my mask once to thoroughly clean it, and then I rub spit over it and then dunk it in the water before donning it. I've never used defogger, but I don't believe that it is an abrasive. Also, the word around the campfire is that women's spit doesn't work as well as a defogger as men's spit. It's scientifically debatable, though I've always found it to be true.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

mishaq posted:

What kind of post-editing was done on this photo to make her suit look like a leather cat suit? I also like the matching yellow weights and trim on the knife.

As a photographer: It's mostly just lighting, since they used a multi-directional light kit. They clearly did some Photoshop work, as they brightened the face but forgot to equalize it with the hands. Beyond that though, they probably smoothed some of the fabric at the hips, but it doesn't look like it'd need significant modification. Thin wetsuits are pretty awesome that way.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Aquila posted:

Wouldn't leaving the wetsuit on all the way keep you warmer? I am curious because I'm about to finish my OW cert and the water temp is expected to be about 58F, outside temp should be somewhere between that and 65F.

Nope, it's definitely a lot warmer to pull down the top and wear a sweatshirt. Water transmits heat much more efficiently than air, so the best way of staying warm is to dry off. The water out here in the Pacific Northwest is around 12C in the ocean, and down to 2C in the mountain runoff lakes, so I've definitely use every trick in the book to stay warm.

SlicerDicer posted:

Pouring in water dilates the blood vessels, you actually will get colder faster I do not advise it :(

Pouring hot water down the front of your wetsuit is totally awesome and everyone should try it. Your blood vessels will dilate naturally to absorb the heat, but they close just as quickly. It's a totally normal part of thermoregulation.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Crunkjuice posted:

It's all about the instructor, not necessarily the course. Imagine if you took a PADI underwater photography class from some instructor who has a nice camera , or you take one from Wes Skiles (RIP). They are going to be two monstrously different courses, but give you the same C-Card. These courses only outline what skills MUST be taught, not what ONLY can be taught. Pick your instructor wisely and you'll be that much a better diver because of it.

Yeah definitely. My underwater photography course was taught by a ex-Army diving instructor who has done deep dive camera-work for BBC documentaries, and basically lives and breathes technical diving and underwater photography. It was extremely useful, particularly as I was already a professional photographer and I could actually ask indepth questions.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I almost always dive with gloves (though sadly it's been a long time) so my Ok gesture doesn't have the splayed fingers - it's just a circle. That being said, I'd guess that much like red hats the ubiquity of the symbol will allow it to endure in contexts outside of the Confederacy movement.

Thumbs up has always meant "ascend" to me. I trained in Oregon but my instructors were out of Hawaii and always used a shaka anytime I might have used thumbs up in another context.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 16, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah underwater camera work is so loving difficult that doing it on a group dive sounds absolutely awful. Either the photos will be crap, or it'll be incredibly disruptive to everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Kesper North posted:

Breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome back from literally space.

Yeah that turned out really well! Very cool dive.