Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

asur posted:

I disagree on over complicating the snorkel if you actually plan to use it to snorkel. It might be worth it to buy two since they have different purposes. The QoL improvement of it blocking water is huge when you're snorkeling.

Same, and a lot of that has to do with the water conditions for where I'm diving / snorkeling. Having a large valved snorkel is really useful in choppy open ocean, but probably not necessary in calmer waters. Mine has always been very reliable, but having one that stows away for infrequent use would probably be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

therobit posted:

My wife and I went snorkeling in Hawaii last month and she says it’s the best thing she’s ever done. I really enjoyed it as well but we live in Portland, Oregon so it would be cold water stuff here. I have always kind of wanted to go scuba diving though and I think if we are already going to need wetsuits, mask, and snorkel then I am clearing one of the big hurdles as far as being a fat guy trying to scuba dive with rented equipment. While she isn’t enthused about SCUBA because she is apprehensive about the awesome power of the ocean, she said she’d be willing to do it with me if I really wanted to.

Anyhow does anybody know of a dive shop with good selection and instructors in the Portland area? Literally none of them seem to have online stores so I can’t see their selection and frankly most of their web sites suck. Since I don’t really hang out with anyone who dives I don’t have anyone to ask about where to find a good instructor.

So I did all my dive training at Eugene Skin Divers Supply and found them to be absolutely first class. They have relationships with all the major dive centers in the area (while they mostly train in Eugene and Florence, they take divers all over the PNW), and are very experienced, so if I were you I’d pick up the phone on Monday and just ask them for a Portland-area recommendation.

http://www.eugeneskindivers.com/

Beyond that, I’d just suggest starting by looking at the PADI Five Star centers in the area, particularly Pacific Watersports in Beaverton and Under Water Works in Tigard.

https://locator.padi.com/search?lang=en&location=oregon

Hawaiian snorkeling is indeed wonderful, and Oregon’s colder, darker, and more technical lake and coastal diving is going to be a different experience. But I have always loved doing it, and I think there’s still lots to see and enjoy. I have had such fun seeing the transparent water and petrified forests of Clear Lake, viewing octopuses and other fascinating sea life along the shores of Florence and Newport, night diving the deep waters at Mike’s Beach Resort in the Hood Canal, and exploring the wreck-strewn dive site of the Edmunds Underwater Park on the Canadian border.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

For what it's worth, I've dived dozens of times in the PNW and never used a dry suit or bought a wet suit. The instructors at my school in Eugene all had them, but they never pushed them on students and frankly I would have judged them if they did. A 7mm suit has always been fine for me, even in 40 degree water like in Clear Lake.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah it’s a fantastic dive and there’s snorkel options as well for family that don’t scuba.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah seeing them up close reminds one that manta rays are in every way similar to boats, including size and weight. They can be up to 30 ft wide and more than 5,000 lbs.