Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had asked this question in the last thread, and finally got my answer after going through the underwriting process. Apparently, if you are strictly a recreation diver you are still eligible for the top rate class for life insurance with Prudential.

If you are a tech diver/deep diver/cave diver/etc, you probably won't qualify for the best rate class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Heading to Belize on Saturday....have been really excited about it until I saw the weather forecast. For a place that barely has rain during the month of May, there is sure a lot of rain and thunderstorms in the forecast. Hoping swells and viz stay good so I can still get some diving in.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just got back from diving in Belize (Ambergris Caye). If you are ever around those parts, I highly recommend Chuck and Robbies. Their dive operation was great!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bishop posted:

I don't know all that much about Belize! Is it mostly shore diving or do you take boats out? Are the reefs deeper with walls or are there a lot of cool things in the shallow range. I'd like to know because a friend moved there to DM and I'm trying to decide if it's worth going down to visit him :)

It is all boat diving-- the barrier reef is too far offshore to swim to comfortably.

Belize has something for everyone really. There are sections that have deeper reefs with walls, there are some parts of the reef that are incredibly shallow and have a ton of things to look at, and everything in between.

If you are looking for good wall diving, I'd suggest going out to Turneffe Atoll. I've also heard that the dives on Lighthouse Reef are spectactular, but those are usually combined into a three dive day with one stop being the Blue Hole and I've never had any interest in diving there.

We just dove in the Belize Barrier reef, we were in the 50-80 foot range for all of our dives and we saw (for larger things), lots of nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, turtles, dolphins, a remora that hung around us for pretty much an entire dive, grouper, barracuda and all of your other 'usual suspects' when it comes to Caribbean reef fish. We saw a couple of squids too at a shallower spot on a reef.
You could also snorkel or scuba in the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, and that is like an aquarium. I snorkeled the shallower parts of it, and I lost track of how many different species of fish I saw. I'd like to go back just to dive/snorkel in Hol Chan again.

Edit: One of our dive masters also found a Spotted Drum on one of our dives, which he was pretty excited about.

sheri fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 27, 2012

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kaddish posted:

My wife and I will start the open water certification next week. We won't be doing the actual open water for a few more weeks. Is a dive computer something we should get for that or can we wait until we do our first dive?

Also, how is this for a "beginner" computer?

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/MRSPWC.html?&&

We have masks, boots, fins, and snorkels. What else is a "must get" before our first dive?

I'd hold off on getting a computer until you are more familiar with what you want out of a computer, where you plan on doing most of your diving, and if you even like diving after trying it out "for real" a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Isn't it a huge pain in the rear end not having a computer though? I'm just now reading through the class books and it seems like it would be a hassle having to plan dives manually. Even if only diving once a year.

It can be, but it isn't too bad. You can even rent computers from most dive shops if you are worried about it being a hassle to plan dives manually.

I use a computer when I dive, but since I dive only a few times a year I just rent them from my local dive shop. They are nice computers and I am familiar with them and the guys that owns the place gives me a good deal. I still plan my dives manually and reference the tables though-- keeps me more aware of what I am doing and keeps me in practice for knowing how to use the charts and manually plan dives in the future if I ever need to.

I'd get a couple dives under your belt first before you decide to start looking for expensive gear. Honestly, the first couple of times I dove after being certified I had a computer and didn't even look at it-- I was way more focused on air consumption, controlling my buoyancy, and following the guide. :)

sheri fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 4, 2012