Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I need a mask with prescription lens inserts and I am not so confident I can find a pair before my trip in Feb. How big a risk am I taking if I order a pair online as a last resort? (With fit, etc...) and, while I'm at it, same question with fins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
My vision is god awful and I have snorkeled with some cheap generic lenses and I could still barely see.

I asked my optometrist about lenses for a diving mask and he said I needed to buy a mask first to get the polycarbonate lens inserts first (which they will then shape to my prescription).

I guess I will see if I can find a mask somewhere... And thanks for the warning about seasickness. Hopefully I will be okay because it would be pretty unfortunate if being able to see makes me ill :(

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I am going to Port Douglas for a week. I have a mask but nothing else. Should I bother buying fins and snorkel? I am not a diver (nor snorkeler - I live in Michigan) so I planned to just rent while I'm down there.

1. Rent or buy?
2. Key features of a snorkel?
3. Key features of fins?

I'm healthy, but shamefully cannot call myself "fit" if that makes a difference for the fins. I hadn't actually thought about those things before so I figure I'd just ask the people I trust most: random strangers on the internet. TIA all.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks for the input, all. Another thing I just thought of: I have actually been snorkeling once before, in Okinawa. The reef came right up to the shore, basically. But I guess Port Douglas is not like that? Just a regular beach and a boat ride if I want to see some coral?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Australia is harsh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Back from my first experience diving.

A bit panicky at the beginning when I didn't realize just how hard I had to blow to get one of my ears to equalize, but then it popped and all was good (saw a giant clam 3-4 feet across :O )

...but no one told me about the cottonmouth :argh: