Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Komodo is awesome, I've been twice. I'm going to Raja Ampat in a month, so expect an effort post after.

I went to the Similans on a liveaboard about 12 years ago. It was good, but I don't remember it nearly as well as Indonesia (Indo is the best). If you go to the Similans, make sure you go from ~Nov until ~March; it's their dry season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
The only thing that I can think of, other than sewing, is to cut a clean round hole at the end of the tear. Using a punch of some sort.

Meanwhile, here's a game that's been released to early access:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1868140/DAVE_THE_DIVER/

Note: I have not yet played it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Conditions at Sail Rock briefly got good, and it coincided with the trevally spawning.

I wish it was like this all the time.

e: Fixed broken links.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 3, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I stand by my quote lol

The photo was taken by another instructor. I actively discourage people from taking cameras (sshhh, don't tell my boss).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Are you looking for tech rated stuff specifically? Or just rec diving?

I'd get something lightweight. I think Cressi has a lot of lightweight options. The aqualung dimension i3 was a pretty lightweight bcd when I hefted it. I'd personally go for a hybrid wing style (I use an AL Rogue), as those don't have a heavy backplate.

I use a Aqualung Mikron reg and like them a lot. Though I'd be wary of AL products in general, I think they were bought out by an investment firm recently so RIP quality.

I recommend an equipment travel bag with wheels, and a separate mesh bag while you're on the boat (don't bring your travel bag on the boat, it's big and will corrode).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yes. One dive equipment specific suitcase for the actual travel portion, then a small mesh duffel style bag for carrying your gear onto the boat.

Don't bring the travel suitcase onto the boat, it's big and bulky and obnoxious.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Lightweight also means more plastic parts, so greater chance of breakage, maybe?

That being said, I've yet to see any plastic d-rings snap, even on rentals.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Everyone whom I've talked to said they love their Peregrine. I almost bought one but instead opted for a Geo 4 (I wanted the wristwatch).

Imagine my frustration when it turns out the Geo4 defaults to the Fly screen instead of the time piece. Swing and a loving miss, Oceanic.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
That guy had a freeflow equipment malfunction and STILL did the safety stop??

If you want a cheap and reliable reg, go with an Aqualung Calypso. Very no-frills, but a durable workhorse that can be serviced practically anywhere.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Can post with PADI. I think they have an online jobs board. There are also various FB groups.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Continuing the theme of me hating cameras but liking when others have them (and take pics of me):

https://youtube.com/shorts/7gd49Ag-ldM?feature=share3

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Most dive courses done at holiday destinations are geared towards busy tourists. Tourists already scoff at the three days for the cert, nevermind the additional costs more training would entail for skills mastery. Tourists are terrible when it comes to actual study, so a lot of them don't even finish their online theory before getting in the pool.

Instruction quality is also VERY variable, and highly dependent upon the instructor themselves. If you get a new instructor fresh out of boot camp, you'll be taught in a very regimented, by-the-book way. Many of them will have been taught what to teach, but not necessarily how, and won't have the experience necessary to identify problems / techniques / shortcuts / efficiencies. This was me five years ago. The instructor I am today is vastly different, and should I continue to teach, hopefully different than the future as well.

Your dive shop also matters. If price is your main concern, then you will get exactly what you pay for. Low budget places are great for backpackers, but also means that you'll be in classes with potentially 5-10 other students; instructors are paid per student (and don't make a lot either I might add). Every incentive is structured in a way to increase profits, not experience. Finding a shop that is more expensive MAY mean that the class sizes are smaller, so you're given more one-on-one time.

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to the "advanced" course. It's all marketing bullshit. Advanced is just a word on the card and means NOTHING when it comes to proficiency in the water. The actual knowledge content is also pretty minimal. Technically, guides and instructors are allowed to take people to 40 meters on a basic OW certification (IIRC). Most don't because it's a safety liability (the diver may be an idiot and kill themselves) and also an incentive to sell an advanced course. The cheapest work around is to do the Deep Adventure Dive. Show that you've done the reading and the quizzes, and the dives, and you can skip doing the Advanced course entirely.

What the advanced course is good for, if anything, is making people more situationally aware in the water (and also advanced buoyancy practice with PPB). This is a skill that is overlooked because of all the other poo poo instructors need to teach. I get a lot of students that are super eager to dive more, and want to do the advanced course straight after OW. I tell them absolutely DO NOT DO THAT. Go fun dive first. Get 15-20 dives under your belt then come back. Experience matters.

The rescue course is about turning your attention from inward to outward oriented. You now take it upon yourself to look at and after other divers, and (somewhat) take responsibility for their safety. The course should not be a fun course in the traditional sense. I learned much more doing this course than I did the advanced, back when I was just a fun diver. This is a good cert level for people who dive with friends and family.

Divemaster is a whole other ball of wax which I can get into if people wanna hear about it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah. I see a lot of new instructors just take students for a "fun dive" on open water dives 1 and 2, instead of drilling buoyancy practice for the majority of it. Save the fun for dives 3 and 4.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
My parents went to South Africa to do the cage dive. Said it was cold as gently caress.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm a big cold water diving evangelist, but even with good gear if you're just sitting around not moving you get real cold.

Yesterday the water here was 30 C. We consider 27 to be cold.

Cold water is awful and I will brook no argument.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

In all honesty I would like to (some day) dive the kelp forests.

But donning a dry suit again sounds awful.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Get a robust plastic bag, put your hand in said bag, then slide arm into wetsuit sleeve. Once your hand is through remove the plastic bag. Much easier.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
OWC in Iceland? Braver than I that's for sure.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

KFJ posted:

To be fair, the diving companies basically all have access to pools here - There's multiple swimming pools in each municipality and I believe most of them are only too happy to let dive companies use them since they're generally not run for-profit.

My main concern with diving back home is that, while amazing and accessible, places like Silfra aren't super exciting for me. I'm really keen on diving sites like Strýtan but they're insanely cold and visibility can be dreadful - So I think I'll have to find some bravery for those! I think there's an insane amount of life in Icelandic waters that just doesn't get talked about much at all, and I'd love to see it.

It may seem too much too soon, but it's the main reason I'm keen on underwater photography - So many of the animals around here don't have proper photos of them, only sketches or pictures of bycatch. That's something I think would be valuable to rectify.

Today there was a slight breeze on the boat and all the instructors were saying it was cold.

I live in Thailand lol

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Sounds like an excuse to buy yourself something nice!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Lots of ppl like the Peregrine for its big color display.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Man that sounds depressing as gently caress.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Trig Discipline posted:

Aw man, that makes me sad. I have been doing fish research projects mostly out of Westpunt for almost two decades now but haven't been back in a few years. I have a lot of great memories underwater there, and then I also have this one. Looking back I can't recall whether that was Playa Jeremi or Kleine Knip but it was one of those two.

My partner is also an instructor and she had to poo poo in her (almost new) wetsuit due to terrible diarrhea. She made it through 95% of the dive with customers and then lost it when doing the safety stop on the mooring line.

Legend.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
What you're asking about is called a referral. It's not uncommon for people to do this, though it's generally considered a crapshoot by the destination dive shop.

The reason is that there's no real way of knowing how the training went (or it's quality) since you did it with someone else. The first time your instructor sees you will be in the open ocean, and depending on shop and locale, can be difficult.

PADI and as far as I know SSI have procedures in place for referrals. Email and ask. If you did your study using e-learning, they can check your product code and confirm you've finished the theory. They may still give you a short quiz on arrival however.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I don't recommend diving as a buddy team until you have at least 50 dives experience under your belt. As a general metric.

Besides, a guide is great because they'll show you things and places you wouldn't know anything about. They're also an added layer of security. After being shown the site, then it's safe(r) to do it as a pair.

As for places that allow rentals and diving sans guide, go to Bonaire. It's almost all shore diving and guides are optional. Or so I'm told.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Very good points all around.

If you're new, then that guide, either professional or local, is going to be doing work when they take you diving. Buy them lunch and a beer at the least ya.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah diving with a buddy and no guide really just hits different.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
My parents were just down in the Caribbean. Said the bleaching disease is spreading and dive boats are sterilizing gear on the boat immediately after the dive.

Situation sounds pretty dire.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I can't remember where exactly. They jump around down there quite a bit. Probably was Bonaire.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah, as a newbie to a site you don't know what you don't know. To quote Rumsfeld, an "unknown unknown."

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I like to tell my students that the ocean is aggressively indifferent to your existence. You're just along for the ride.

Some of them get it. Some require personal experience first.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Squashy Nipples posted:

I taught an adult friend of mine how to swim while we were in Aruba, and I remember telling him to stop fighting the waves and to bob along with them. "The ocean will kill you with the flick of her wrist, and she won't even notice."

"If I kill you, what business of it is yours? "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
My gf uses a travel Zeagle and my god that is the lightest BCD I've ever held.